As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Team Fortress 2 on PC: What sick men send babies to fight me?

• tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    that's studio, right?

tyrannus on
  • Gorilla SaladGorilla Salad Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, yeah. Fuck you fucks. Always be killing me as demo.

Also, for some reason unknown to me, my sound was not working at all. I have discovered that I am even worse without sound.

Gorilla Salad on
  • Roland_tHTGRoland_tHTG Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Tav wrote: »
    Hm, according to you there's something wrong with statistics in games... it therefore must be based either on how it would impact your play, or how it would impact others' play and therefore indirectly impact your play.

I don't think that. I just don't see the point in something specifically designed for e-peen stroking. I mean, what's the benefit of having these other then inflating your own ego. There is already a points system in the game which reflects how well you've done in the round, and reasonably in-depth statistics to go with them. Why do you need another aggregate system for telling you how well you did in the past, other then to have it announce your overall score everytime you do something and thus making you out to be a good player.

As for wanting to know other peoples stats, what is the point? You might as well just say that you want to grade everyone by their performance in the past. Take someone like Flippy. He hasn't played in a while, so my points would be much higher then his. Does that make me a better player then him? Not a fucking chance.

I got an A in every course I was in last semester. In one of those courses, something like 80% of people got As, and the rest got Bs. In another of my courses, something like 30% of the class failed, and only 2 people got As. Now... which class do you think made me feel more proud to have gotten an A in? Sure, they're both As, they're equivalent on a transcript, but one of them made me feel accomplished, and the other was just... par. The only difference is how I did comparitively to other students in the courses.
    Ahh, so instead of you simply wanting to do good, you also want others to fail. You are an evil, evil man.
    /devil's advocate mode off

Roland_tHTG on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Rentilius wrote: »
    that's studio, right?

yush

Tav on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    edited February 2008
    OH MY GOD YES

flippy has to do this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAr4UPYeqY

tyrannus on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    marty wrote: »
    jonxp wrote: »
    *clip*
    Why no stats/map votes?

I run my server modless, with almost mostly default settings. I do this to prevent EVER having a problem be caused due to a bad mod setup (no matter how unlikely it is) and to keep the game as close to the way Valve designed it to be played as possible. This means no map votes.

Aside from the above philosophical reason for not having map votes, playing on HoNC has completely confirmed my decision not to have them. Every map lasts for about one round, and any person who wants to complain can cause a vote. Bugs the living daylights out of me.

As far as stats go, I really like general stats, and really dislike personal stats.

Example of general stats: On cp_foobar, Engineers generally have the lowest points and fewest kills.
    Example of personal stats: 1337UberKillah7 has a k/d ratio of 5.6*10^72.

Personal stats can be cheated or manipulated, serve no in game purpose, and just allow someone to point at a leaderboard to say they're on top of it. General stats actually allow you to modify how you play to be more effective. That being said, I am working on a stats generator that gives this kind of info. It is a spare time project, however, and is competing for my time with many other things, so don't expect it soon.

JonXP is also working on a votemap punishment system that personally delivers Rick Astley onto the screen of the rtv offender.

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    OH MY GOD YES

flippy has to do this - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxAr4UPYeqY
    Make me, fairy-boy.

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
    edited February 2008
    marty is the crocodile

tyrannus on
  • UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Houn wrote: »
    Oh, I got killed by Freakish Light tonight!
    freakishlightislookinggood_0000.jpg

:P

Lol.

I laughed.

UnKnown Soldier on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've got pictures!!! It's been a while.

Lokiamis is definately rocking out.
    Lokiamis.jpg

I'm rocking out after smacking a spy with my guitar, as Butterfly cusses me out for not protecting his turret.
    irok.jpg

Damnit, Now where is my heart piece??
    Zelda.jpg

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What's with the guitar skin?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Houn wrote: »

Lol.

I laughed.

haha

Sueve on
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You could go into a public server and watch as waves of dumb people die to your sentry.

Any pub I join, I always equal my record kills (7) before some lucky bastard manages to hit my sentry through some divine intervention.
    tell me when you're gonna be an engineer and i'll save wave after wave of my own men at you

While I've never actually tried this myself, a friend of mine set up a gun outside an enemy spawn and just left to study, returning every once an awhile to fix the sentry or rebuild it. Got him a record of 30 something points.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Butterfly BoyButterfly Boy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    SoulGate wrote: »
    I've got pictures!!! It's been a while.
    I'm rocking out after smacking a spy with my guitar, as Butterfly cusses me out for not protecting his turret.
    irok.jpg

I forgive you for that.

Butterfly Boy on
  • SoulGateSoulGate Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What's with the guitar skin?

It is only the most awesome model to replace the axe with. Plus, when you taunt, it actually strums like a guitar, finishing with the pyro going "Brooiiinng!"

SoulGate on
    steam_sig.png
  • kdrudykdrudy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Speaking of non-conformity, lets play on non-conformity

kdrudy on
    tvsfrank.jpg
    edited February 2008
    http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/37207

I think this will become me new knife skin after playing the whore out of Assassin's Creed.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • TyrantCowTyrantCow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I want to play Yaaarg; but, alas I cannot find a match anywhere...

TyrantCow on
  • QuestionMarkManQuestionMarkMan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I don't care about stats at all.

QMM only talks the straight talk. Doesn't matter what weapon, he still killed you OH YEAH EXTREEEEEAAAM *hang glides off a cliff and onto a speeding jeep*
    I let my killin' do the talkin'

And jon basically said what I thought about stats. I play on PA because they're mostly laid-back dudes. I don't want no serious business here

QuestionMarkMan on
  • What Is Schwa?What Is Schwa? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I hereby nominate ccp_circlejerk to be added to honk for further testing. It's a c(ircular)cp map that has to be captured in a clockwise, or counterclockwise motion.

At first glance (and I hate to bring this up) it appears similar to science, but without a center control point.
    The RED and BLU teams start on opposite side of a circle, with no way to get directly to each other without going to one of the neutral points first. Depending if you go clockwise or counterclockwise from your starting point to the next point determins if you are capturing or defending the point.

Thanks for the kind feedback Roland.

The map is still in beta so any thoughts or suggestions are appreciated.

I'd like to point out that both teams have to capture the points in a clockwise motion, although defending is necessary too. So far players have mostly enjoyed it, although some frustration sets in if players don't defend. Teams can only win if they actually, ya know, play as a team.

-Aaron

What Is Schwa? on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pretty sure I'm dl'in this

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/screens/32780?img=http://image.hazardstrip.com/ss/srends/27241.jpg

What's the PA server policies? Just skins, no models?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
    edited February 2008
    enders, you sexy devil. STAY AWAY FROM MY CLASS

tyrannus on
  • martymarty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sorry to bug you on this once more, but PMAvers can you please upload ctf_yaargh onto Honk. Quite a few of us HoNCies/ Honk!es play this map daily, and we've in fact filled a server once with purely PA players, even though the server we play on is in the UK. It's quite good fun. But playing with the retarded pubbies that inevitably fill it up isn't.
    On the otherhand, I think the map rotation for the Honk should be restricted to mach4, desertfortress, sidewinder, chaos, grand canyon, impact, jinxed, studio and of course allowances for any other map deemed worthy of rotation. Science and Junction just don't play very well at the moment. Meleebarn or magnetic: one of them please, I hate two melee maps in a row. I think they should also be vote only, with the votemenu only coming up towards the end of a map.

marty on
    tf2_sig.png
  • HounHoun Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sorry to bug you on this once more, but PMAvers can you please upload ctf_yaargh onto Honk. Quite a few of us HoNCies/ Honk!es play this map daily, and we've in fact filled a server once with purely PA players, even though the server we play on is in the UK. It's quite good fun. But playing with the retarded pubbies that inevitably fill it up isn't.
    On the otherhand, I think the map rotation for the Honk should be restricted to mach4, desertfortress, sidewinder, chaos, grand canyon, impact, jinxed, studio and of course allowances for any other map deemed worthy of rotation. Science and Junction just don't play very well at the moment. Meleebarn or magnetic: one of them please, I hate two melee maps in a row. I think they should also be vote only, with the votemenu only coming up towards the end of a map.

I concur on the rotation suggestion. I've yet to play yaargh, though.

Houn on
    edited February 2008
    it's fantastic, I highly recommend it. just watch your head if butterfly/flippy(codfish) is around.

tyrannus on
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Christ. I hopped on tonight for some sexy action only to be worn out after a game of Dustbowl. That shit just doesn't seem to end sometimes. Maybe I'm just fickle. No wait, I hate that word. Let's say capricious.

Monsty on
  • PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jonxp wrote: »
    Aside from the above philosophical reason for not having map votes, playing on HoNC has completely confirmed my decision not to have them. Every map lasts for about one round, and any person who wants to complain can cause a vote. Bugs the living daylights out of me.

Actually, last night I disabled RTV until I can figure out a better way to handle that problem.

...Or, at least, it *should* be disabled... if it's not, then that's a mistake.

Re: Vikings,

I'm still debating it, honestly. I finally got a chance to do a solo play-through of it this morning, and I'm still not sure *what* I think of it. On one hand, it's a silly map. On the other hand, I don't want to have too many silly maps in the normal rotatoin that it'd get annoying. See: Meleebarn.
    Shwah? wrote:
    *snip ccp_circlejerk guy*

...Holy crap, a map author!

I gotta say, the idea behind the map is damn clever. I think I'm definitely going to give it a shot, although probably not in the main server rotation until a detailed/cleaned-up version comes out.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Cold Salmon and HatredCold Salmon and Hatred __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Still trying to figure out why I was saying "Snake biter" in that picture soulgate

Cold Salmon and Hatred on
  • iowaiowa Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    the fun thing about scout is that when you hear a guy call medic, you know you're good and well to finish him off with the pistol. I'd recommend not calling for medic if you're low on health and fighting a scout. That just means he's less likely to run away.

iowa on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    iowa wrote: »
    the fun thing about scout is that when you hear a guy call medic, you know you're good and well to finish him off with the pistol. I'd recommend not calling for medic if you're low on health and fighting a scout. That just means he's less likely to run away.

Hell, I'll call for a medic if I'm at like 90% health. Come get some!

mcdermott on
  • NaregNareg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    guys... serious business
    so... many... sentries!
    onyxislookinggood.jpg

mei_hikariislookinggood.jpg

katkaislookinggood.jpg

hamtaroislookinggood.jpg

not so serious business
    twssnamonsislookinggood.jpg

:D

Nareg on
    Back off man, I'm a scientist!
  • katkakatka Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Neat, I made it into someones image dump.

katka on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Pretty sure I'm dl'in this

http://www.fpsbanana.com/skins/screens/32780?img=http://image.hazardstrip.com/ss/srends/27241.jpg

What's the PA server policies? Just skins, no models?

haha, this is excellent

Ah_Pook on
  • freakish lightfreakish light butterdick jones and his heavenly asshole machineRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008

Just goes to show, I'm a god damned ninja.

freakish light on
  • StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited February 2008
    I'm really enjoying playing again.

Though it sucks have to learn new maps. Fortunately, the maps I've seen have taken the Valve maps to heart and have put in a lot of guidance tools that make them quite intuitive.

Sterica on
    YL9WnCY.png
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i wanna make a spray of medics and or heavy in the stance of "im a shark im a shark suck my dick im a shark" singing image

possibly because i am the only one that finds this funny, and it will enrage all of you with its stupidity

Barcardi on
    edited February 2008
    oh hell no, I love that series of comics

tyrannus on
  • BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    no reverse psychology will work on me, im doin it now!

Barcardi on
    edited February 2008
    I need to know server policies before I start downloadin' skins.

Zen Vulgarity on