As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Forums - Awesome Job!

MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain?ChicagoRegistered User regular
Don't know where else to post this, so here you go.

I've been over at AVS Forums a lot recently, and oh god - my eyes!

Lots of great info by those guys, but Jesus, the forum layout is horrible. Thank you, PA, for not skinning the boards with Kayne & Lynch (or anyone). Their boards have ads on the side (fine, need $), but also in-between the posts! H-scroll raping is enough to make the board's father cry. The only good layout is their "quote" setup; it makes it more in-line than here.

I know it's not news, but just wanted to say thanks, PA, for having a non-burning sensation BBS.

MichaelLC on

• MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    PA is the best forum.

MKR on
  • TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I agree, all the staff involved here do a bang up job.

Tav on
  • BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    group hug guys, you're all amazing

what we're trying to say is we love you.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    aww gee thanks guys :3

Monoxide on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    <3<3

Echo on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd also like to toss up a word of thanks for the iron fist you guys keep on Avatar and sig size.
    Otherwise the forum would probably look like this and be unbearable.

see317 on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, PA has the best avatar/sig rules on any forum I've seen. It would be much better if there was an actual software-enforced limit (I still see dumbasses with the Carlton Dance.gif or Cat jumping out of bush to attack baby.gif avatars that are like 300-400k every once in a while), but having such strict rules stops the forums from degenerating into people running around absolutely ludicrous avatars and sigs, both in a dimensions and filesizes way.

Case in point, here is a post from the forum that was linked above:

newbitmapimagesc8.th.png

Seriously, look at this shit:

newbitmapimage2na3.th.png

This fucker makes me load more than 500k of bullshit more than 500 pixels high just to read two fucking worthless sentences.

I browse PA sometimes from my PSP, so having a much cleaner, more manageable forum is important to me. And the color scheme and the way it's set up is much better than almost any forum on the net. I mean, sure, we've got downtime every so often, but compared to the latest 400k burning sword avatar and half a meg sig from S3Ph1r0Th_179 I'd take the downtime anyday.

Good show, PA forums.

Einhander on
  • Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We are pretty awesome.
    (Anyone have the "Best Penny Arcade is Penny Arcade comic at hand?)

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    MKR wrote: »
    PA is the best forum.

LewieP on
    edited February 2008
    It seems like the PA forum's greatest strength is diversity. Every sort of person is represented, so it's hard for any group to dominate. All the unpleasant people we loath on other forums are here, but their idiotic tendencies are tempered by the community. In the worst case where they continue to act like idiots, they're booted by a moderator.

PA is Bartertown.

MKR on
  • MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    We are pretty awesome.
    (Anyone have the "Best Penny Arcade is Penny Arcade comic at hand?)

20020708h.gif

MichaelLC on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Einhander wrote: »
    horrible, horrible things

Hey, don't mess. "Hell hath no fury like a gamer scorn".

But yes, since we're all pouring the love onto PA, things were rather different here to the last forum I was on, a lot more strict with about discussions, sig and avatar sizes, and general forum behaviour. Found it intimidating at first, but now I really appreciate that it's to actually keep things under control and prevent the kind of retarded asshattery I've seen elsewhere.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Kane Red RobeKane Red Robe Master of Magic ArcanusRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    see317 wrote: »
    I'd also like to toss up a word of thanks for the iron fist you guys keep on Avatar and sig size.
    Otherwise the forum would probably look like this and be unbearable.

Agreeing with this, nothing worse than having to scroll through some 600 pixels of worthless shit everytime some chump wants to post "lol."

Kane Red Robe on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    People hate me on other forums because I hold them to the standards of this forum. I wouldn't have it any other way.

Henroid on
  • FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    i think the worst sig I ever saw on another forum was not because of it's art

it was because it was a 1024x768 FF7 wallpaper

I'd also like to thank them for letting me turn off sigs. Man these forums look even better with no sigs.

FyreWulff on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    i think the worst sig I ever saw on another forum was not because of it's art

it was because it was a 1024x768 FF7 wallpaper

I'd also like to thank them for letting me turn off sigs. Man these forums look even better with no sigs.
    I am fantastically jealous of normal users, because they get to turn off sigs, while I have to monitor the goddamn things.

This is why I am the sig nazi.

Thanatos on
    edited February 2008
    FyreWulff wrote:
    halo3sig.png

:?:

Also the great sig dimension crackdown is awesome. I wish it would extend more to avatars with huge filesizes as well, but it's good nonetheless.

On a side note, I like seeing sigs. It's a decent way of letting someone show a small part of their personality and every once in a while you'll see one that is funny or looks cool or is promoting something I might be interested in (like TBK or Shotgun Sunrise). If they follow the rules for sizes then they don't look that bad, and if they follow the rules for filesizes I'm not loading much extra per page anyway.

Einhander on
    edited February 2008
    FyreWulff wrote:
    halo3sig.png

Just because I have them off doesn't mean I can't have one for the people that still want to see them :P

FyreWulff on
  • Soviet WaffleSoviet Waffle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    FyreWulff wrote:
    halo3sig.png

Just because I have them off doesn't mean I can't have one for the people that still want to see them :P

Wait a second.

You can't have your cake and not look at it.

Unless you close your eyes.

But then I'll take your cake.

Soviet Waffle on
    League of Legends: Studio
  • MonoxideMonoxide Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    I would turn sigs off if I didn't have to make sure no one is posting with some 5mb 3040x1920 png in their sig

It's why I'm so bitter

Monoxide on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Monoxide wrote: »
    I would turn sigs off if I didn't have to make sure no one is posting with some 5mb 3040x1920 png in their sig

It's why I'm so bitter

Monoxide has been anti-sig for as long as I can remember.

Henroid on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    FyreWulff wrote:
    halo3sig.png

Wait a second.

You can't have your cake and not look at it.

Unless you close your eyes.

But then I'll take your cake.

You owe it to yourself to steal his sig

You owe it to the world

The Black Hunter on
  • GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Among other things, I love the spoiler tags here. They're extremely useful and fun. <3

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Seriously guys, great work
    now about that search...
    oh god please don't hit me

Tossrock on
    sig.png
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    I like sigs, but I hate the big ones. I am also a sig-nazi when it comes to that shit. I just changed a 200px high sig not 10 minutes ago.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2008
    turning them off also makes life bearable for 56k users, although it's still pretty much a big joke.

When I had to use Netzero while my DSL modem was being replaced, their image compression service was a godsend.

FyreWulff on
    edited February 2008
    turning them off also makes life bearable for 56k users, although it's still pretty much a big joke.

When I had to use Netzero while my DSL modem was being replaced, their image compression service was a godsend.

Sigs I don't mind loading. What I do mind is people putting images being spoiler tags instead of linking. People are going to have to click to get to 'em anyway. <.<

Henroid on
  • Saint JusticeSaint Justice Mercenary Mah-vel Baybee!!!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd just like to add my props as well. Best forum ever.

Saint Justice on
    Some people play tennis, I erode the human soul. ~ Tycho
    edited February 2008
    Added to the fun is the fact that spoilers don't work with the PSP web browser, so if I'm away from home and checking the forums, I have no idea what is under that spoiler.

Einhander on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2008
    Life's a trial isn't it?

Tube on
  • ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Henroid wrote: »

Sigs I don't mind loading. What I do mind is people putting images being spoiler tags instead of linking. People are going to have to click to get to 'em anyway. <.<
    We throw cards for this. If there's a large or NSFW image posted in a spoiler, you should report it.

Thanatos on
    edited February 2008
    Life's a trial isn't it?
    forever and ever

Einhander on
    edited February 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

We throw cards for this. If there's a large or NSFW image posted in a spoiler, you should report it.

Really? Hot diggity!

Henroid on
  • Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »

No, he just likes complaining even if the picture was small and perfectly normal.

Though to be fair, I'd probably complain too if I was still on netzero...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yep, just wanted to echo the "thanks" in here -- these forums are so comfortable to browse and easy to use, and that plus the great community makes this a quality-of-life improvement. No, seriously. This place has been an important part of my day for years.

So, thanks!

gilrain on
  • SkySky Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    In general, I like these forums, but the "Negative Nancies" tend to come out of the wood work for any thread regardless of what it is about.

I think the moderators do a good job, but why aren't the "negative" type posters getting stern talkings to about their behavior?

A couple of threads I start, I see the same person(s) regularly bashing and being ridiculously mean to me, and over the stupidest things to. Then I get blamed for the thread I started, but someone else decided to trash.

Surely, I cannot be the only one who notices this.

Sky on
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Sky wrote: »
    In general, I like these forums, but the "Negative Nancies" tend to come out of the wood work for any thread regardless of what it is about.

I think the moderators do a good job, but why aren't the "negative" type posters getting stern talkings to about their behavior?

A couple of threads I start, I see the same person(s) regularly bashing and being ridiculously mean to me, and over the stupidest things to. Then I get blamed for the thread I started, but someone else decided to trash.

For reference, this is the "Gang of Daggers" guy.

LewieP on
  • Atlus ParkerAtlus Parker Registered User regular
    edited June 2008

I notice it too. I wish everyone could just be nice to each other like I'm nice to them. A lot of people here just need to spend some time in the military to change their attitude.

Atlus Parker on
  • PheezerPheezer Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

For reference, this is the "Gang of Daggers" guy.

Yeah, it really is important to keep in mind that Sky is completely insane. Also that he's bitching about negativity in a thread created specifically to thank the administration for keeping this place so good.

Like I said, completely insane.

Pheezer on
    IT'S GOT ME REACHING IN MY POCKET IT'S GOT ME FORKING OVER CASH
    CUZ THERE'S SOMETHING IN THE MIDDLE AND IT'S GIVING ME A RASH
    edited June 2008

I've been hanging around PA for over a year and haven't really noticed this. Do you have any examples?

I don't want to bandwagon here, but you do strike me as a bit of a loon. Maybe you're misinterpreting things?

MKR on