As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Spore's release date announced: September 08

• ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    So, maybe somebody can explain this to me... Does this game have a ton more content than they've ever showed us or something? Because the development cycle is obscene but as far as I can tell all the stages of the actual game are very straightforward and simple. Is it just taking them a really long time to get the procedural creatures working?

Zek on
  • Tonberry KingTonberry King Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just after getting my computer for college and right before my birthday. Perfect timing. I just hope they reveal the requirements beforehand. The Max. req. will probably be the benchmark for the kind of computer I'll be looking for around then.

Tonberry King on
  • templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guys, this is way late, but I'm doing it anyway:
    captaink wrote: »
    This game has been delayed like 3 years. Does anyone really still care about it?

Oh god yes.

burning desire fills me with Spore.

Fixed.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just realized, this game comes out one week after PAX. I wonder if they might do something special then? I'd think if they could push it up one week and release it at PAX I would explode from pure joy.

Veevee on
  • Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm not terribly excited about this game anymore.

Deviant Hands on
  • Deviant HandsDeviant Hands __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm not terribly excited about this game anymore.

Deviant Hands on
  • CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm very excited about this game still.

I'm very excited about this game still.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Interview with Will Wright on why Spore was delayed and other things, has lots of new info such as Social Networking components of the game and EA's involvement.

Part 1
    Part 2

interesting stuff includes
    That at any time in the game they can hit a button, bring up their browser and browse the entire universe of content. They can look at what their friends have made; they can subscribe to Sporecasts, they can make buddy lists; they can tag content. We took a lot of the dynamics we saw going on the Web--especially social networking sites--and tried use that language to convey to the players how this all works.
    Interestingly enough, on this project probably more than any other, the executive management at EA has always been on the side of "Get it right." Whenever we were basically saying, "Okay, we're not going to ship it this Christmas the way we thought," it was always, "Okay, but just get right. Get it right."

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I have this vague feeling that it'll probably be delayed again. I hope not, though, because I've been pining for this game for a long time and I'd like the pining to stop, thank you very much.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • LightRiderLightRider __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm not terribly excited about life anymore.

LightRider on
  • HayasaHayasa Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    OhmigodohmigodohmigodSPORESPORESPORE!!!!!

Hayasa on
    fthcav.jpg
    20siy39.jpg
    xcvj1h.jpg
    2lk6t94.jpg
  • Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Aoi wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, how long ago was Spore originally announced. I know it was a while ago, but it doesn't seem like it was announced quite long enough ago to have been delayed for three years. Even if it was, I still have more faith in this title than I would ever have for DNF. Wright has always taken his time with his games (I remember the original Sims being delayed for quite a while as well), but he always seems to deliver on his promises. I would liken him more to Blizzard with his delays than 3D Realms.

It was first announced at GDC in 2005, without any hard release date. (Though speculation said late 2005, but those speculators were stupid given that the game was "held together with bailing wire and duct tape" when Will showed it off at GDC.)

I think late 2006 was the first actual date, but you'd actually have to do some research to find an actual quote on whether or not that's true or just rumor, or just EA talking out it's ass.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Rhesus PositiveRhesus Positive GNU Terry Pratchett Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Excellent - the week before my birthday.

I don't really need that B.A., I guess.

Rhesus Positive on
    [Muffled sounds of gorilla violence]
  • DavorDavor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Heh I posted this an hour ago without seeing this thread, or the news:
    Davor wrote: »
    Hmm, better-then-average-for-a-long-time candidates lined up to be president, a KotOR MMO, Mass Effect on the PC... Now if we can get a Spore ship date, this might just turn out to be a really good year.

Will wonders never cease?

Davor on
  • HybridzergHybridzerg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Heh I posted this an hour ago without seeing this thread, or the news:
    Hmm, better-then-average-for-a-long-time candidates lined up to be president, a KotOR MMO, Mass Effect on the PC... Now if we can get a Spore ship date, this might just turn out to be a really good year.

Will wonders never cease?

Where is the proof/announcement of this Kotor MMO everyone keeps mentioning?

Hybridzerg on
    edited February 2008
    You know, I was just looking for the same thing and didn't find anything concrete, it could be an out of control rumor.

Davor on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This may be a rumor still, but I just found it kind of funny. Last year, during the summer, my friend was asking me about what I was looking forward to in the Fall. I listed the typical games, and asked him the same. He said Spore.. but I guess he thoughtl by my expression that something about me was doubtful, so he asked, "What? You don't think it'll be out this year?" And I kind of chuckled a little. Not because I thought he was naiive, or thought I was a badass or anything. But because I had totally forgotten about Spore. The reason it was funny is because the first thing he assumed that I had a funny look about was the improbability of the game being released in 2007.

slash000 on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Out of curiosity, how long ago was Spore originally announced. I know it was a while ago, but it doesn't seem like it was announced quite long enough ago to have been delayed for three years. Even if it was, I still have more faith in this title than I would ever have for DNF. Wright has always taken his time with his games (I remember the original Sims being delayed for quite a while as well), but he always seems to deliver on his promises. I would liken him more to Blizzard with his delays than 3D Realms.

It was first announced at GDC in 2005, without any hard release date. (Though speculation said late 2005, but those speculators were stupid given that the game was "held together with bailing wire and duct tape" when Will showed it off at GDC.)

I think late 2006 was the first actual date, but you'd actually have to do some research to find an actual quote on whether or not that's true or just rumor, or just EA talking out it's ass.

Will Wright himself said late 2006 during the GDC 2005 conference.

rayofash on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was gonna post this up a long with the new video but I guess I got beaten.

But I see that no one posted the video so huzzah

http://blip.tv/file/652152

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Haven't looked at the new video yet, but based on the videos that we've seen, it looks like to me like the engine has been mostly ready for a while, but they've been desperately working to try to get a game out of it.

jothki on
  • randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    jothki wrote: »
    Haven't looked at the new video yet, but based on the videos that we've seen, it looks like to me like the engine has been mostly ready for a while, but they've been desperately working to try to get a game out of it.

The video shows a lot of things that weren't there before. Like a working HUD and stuff.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • LockeColeLockeCole Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    so much *glee*

LockeCole on
    edited February 2008
    rayofash wrote: »

I'm 99.9999% positive he said no such thing regarding a release timeframe for Spore at GDC. And I've seen that video many, many times.

Undead Scottsman on
  • -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'll believe it when I'm installing it.

-SPI- on
    edited February 2008
    -SPI- wrote: »
    I'll believe it when I'm installing it.

I'd laugh if you believed it then, but then it turned out to install the Sims 2. :D

Undead Scottsman on
  • UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, I still don't even know what the fuck this game is about, only that people have been talking about it for years and years. And that it's from Will Wright, a man who, though I respect, does not make games for me.

UnbreakableVow on
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, on the one hand awesome to see new Spore stuff but on the other hand I really wish they had filmed it with a tripod or something. The shaking made me a little nauseous towards the end. Then again I'm just getting over a virus that had me at a 102 fever for the last few days :P

HappylilElf on
    edited February 2008
    Man, I still don't even know what the fuck this game is about, only that people have been talking about it for years and years. And that it's from Will Wright, a man who, though I respect, does not make games for me.

Well, honestly, what was SimCity about? Or the Sims? Or any of the other Sim games?

But if it helps, the video posted above mentioned a longterm goal of reaching the center of the galaxy.

Undead Scottsman on
  • davidbarrydavidbarry Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    manaleak34 wrote: »
    Interview with Will Wright on why Spore was delayed and other things, has lots of new info such as Social Networking components of the game and EA's involvement.

Part 1
    Part 2

interesting stuff includes
    That at any time in the game they can hit a button, bring up their browser and browse the entire universe of content. They can look at what their friends have made; they can subscribe to Sporecasts, they can make buddy lists; they can tag content. We took a lot of the dynamics we saw going on the Web--especially social networking sites--and tried use that language to convey to the players how this all works.
    Interestingly enough, on this project probably more than any other, the executive management at EA has always been on the side of "Get it right." Whenever we were basically saying, "Okay, we're not going to ship it this Christmas the way we thought," it was always, "Okay, but just get right. Get it right."

Anyone even mildly interested in Spore should take a little bit of time and read both parts. It's probably the most substantial preview of Spore, and (like most of Wright's interviews) extremely interesting through and through. If i have to buy a new video card for this game, i definitely will. Unfortunately my motherboard has a damn AGP slot, not PCI x16 or whatever it is these days. Any respectable GPUs out there that still use the AGP format?

davidbarry on
    davidbarry.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Anyone else planning on nuking their galaxy's earth once they find it? Damned if I'm going to let humans leave that shithole and start dicking around in my creature's universe. That's the Penis-Peoples' job.

Davor on
    edited February 2008
    Anyone else planning on nuking their galaxy's earth once they find it? Damned if I'm going to let humans leave that shithole and start dicking around in my creature's universe. That's the Penis-Peoples' job.

Nah, I'm just going to invade and enslave them. And then get killed by their local bacteria.

Good times.

Undead Scottsman on
  • METAzraeLMETAzraeL Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Excellent - the week before my birthday.

I don't really need that B.A., I guess.
    same here, but thankfully I'll be doing a late-summer graduation :)

METAzraeL on

dream a little dream or you could live a little dream
    sleep forever if you wish to be a dreamer
    edited February 2008
    Whoa.. Spore DS screenshots...

http://s35.photobucket.com/albums/d158/CaVaYeRo/

Undead Scottsman on
    edited February 2008
    Whoa...

I dunno, it may just be fun.

Davor on
  • rayofashrayofash Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    rayofash wrote: »

I'm 99.9999% positive he said no such thing regarding a release timeframe for Spore at GDC. And I've seen that video many, many times.

Then it must have been E3 2005. But it was always just speculation, EA has never given a release date. September 7th 2008 is the very first official release date.

rayofash on
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    When Spore got put on hold indefinitely, my heart sank a little. Glad to see it has an official release date, I'd hate to see Spore die out before we even got our grubby little hands all over it.

Zombiemambo on
    JKKaAGp.png
  • ZercofZercof Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, Robin Williams has got to be psyched!!

Zercof on
    Zercof.png
    edited February 2008
    It was never on hold? EA just said there was no definite release date. Which was wise, because people get tired of things being pushed back over and over again.
    Zercof wrote: »
    Man, Robin Williams has got to be psyched!!

Basically.

Davor on
    edited February 2008
    Spore being indefinitely delayed was a nasty, nasty rumor that spawned from the fact that EA said that Spore was coming out in their 2009 fiscal year. (Which, contrary to common belief, actual starts in March of 2008) and some news agencies started shitting their pants.

Also, there have been a few release windows they've missed IIRC. I'm pretty sure they said late 2006 at some point (Possibly in Wired magazine) and then in the first half of 2007.

Undead Scottsman on
  • HybridzergHybridzerg Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What I want to know is when we get the creature editor demo. I mean it's got to be done by now, right? Hopefully it'll be released a while before the full game comes out.

And we'd better be able to import created creatures from the demo into the full game.

Hybridzerg on
This discussion has been closed.