As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Graphic novel recommendations?

JoekerJoeker Registered User new member
edited March 2007 in Graphic Violence
Long time lurker; first time poster.

When I was young my grandparents owned a small grocery store that happened to sell comic books. If the comic books didn't sell they sent the covers back for credit (I think) and I got the insides. They sold the store when I was 14 and I stopped reading comic books.

Skip ahead 12 years to last year. With the movie hype in full force I decided to see what the hubbub about V for Vendetta was so I bought the graphic novel. Then I bought the Watchmen and Batman: Dark Knight Returns. Then Fables Vol. 1. Then all of Fables. Then all of Y: The Last Man.

Hello, my name is Joeker, and I'm an addict. It's been two hours since I last bought a graphic novel. A dealer named Buy.com is running a $20 off $50 sale so I purchased the first Preacher volume and the two Penny Arcade books. I am going back for more too.

I prefer graphic novels over comic books for some reason. I get one and then read it over the weekend. Since I don't follow comics I don't know what is good. I want both the complete story type books and some series to try out. Also, I want to try some manga.

What are your graphic novel recommendations?

Thanks in advance.

Joeker on

• MarathonMarathon Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Do you have Kingdom Come? If not, let me suggest that.

Marathon on
  • saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    We3

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • CharmyCharmy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Animal Man trades. They cover Grant Morrison's run, and they are wonderful.

Charmy on
    I have a twitter.
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    300 by Frank Miller is the coolest thing ever.
    Marvel's Ares is probably the best TPB to come out this year.

Hensler on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Everyone must own Nextwave.

pregnant.png

I also got Five Fists of Science yesterday, and read it once, but I kinda need to read it again before I can decide if I want to recommend it or not.

Echo on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Pride of Baghdad.

Conditional_Axe on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ex Machina and Runaways, since you like Brian K. Vaughn.

robosagogo on
  • lostwordslostwords Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The huge collected Invincible hardback that came out recently (or will come out soon, not sure). That will keep you busy for a good long while. Also, Amazon has the two previous hardback collections that make up the big book on sale.

Also, Transmetropolitan, Early Authority, Ellis' run on Stormwatch, Planetary, the Apparat trade, basically anything by Warren Ellis is worth a look at.

lostwords on
    rat.jpg tumbler? steam/ps3 thingie: lostwords Amazon Wishlist!
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    V for Vendetta, also the Sin City books are good. Are those considered graphic novels? Maybe not. They each tell one separate story, though, just like a GN.

Langly on
  • gredavingredavin Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Manga?

Battle Royale series. Warning, there are ALOT, but they're good.

gredavin on
  • robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think it's more important to warn about the gore (eyes out of the sockets!) than it is to warn about the length.

robosagogo on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Lucifer, almost anything Daredevil vol 2, Planetary, Invincible

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Someone has to say Sandman.

So, Sandman. You can start anywhere near the beginning, really.

Sandman.

KalTorak on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    What I've read of Losers by Angy Diggle is pretty good, Formerly Known as Justice League and I Can't Believe It's Not the Justice League by Giffen and DeMatteis are personal favorites, but probably not for everyone, Batman: The Long Halloween by Jeph Loeb is one of my favorite Batman stories ever, Batman: Year One is written by Frank Miller, and is a great story about Batman's origin, and Doom Patrol by Grant Morrison blends superhero stuff with weird paranormal stuff pretty well.

It seems like you're into both the more grounded yet still supernatural/fantasy stuff (Y the Last Man, Fables), but also superhero stuff (Watchmen, Batman: DKR), so if you were to give us an idea of what you liked best, or characters you might be interested in; that may help us make good suggestions.

Munch on
  • UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I like The Sandman.

Also, the first volume of Saga of the Swamp Thing by Alan Moore is good. I'll probably get more of those.

Edit: Someone already said Sandman, but...

Sandman.

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    Joeker wrote:
    V for Vendetta...Watchmen...Batman: Dark Knight Returns...Fables...Y: The Last Man

None of these are graphic novels, they are trades icon_teach.gif

For the Buy.com deal, you should pick up Absolute New Frontier and Absolute Kingdom Come. Also both Invincible Ultimate Collections and the trades they don't cover.

Garlic Bread on
  • LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Joeker wrote:
    V for Vendetta...Watchmen...Batman: Dark Knight Returns...Fables...Y: The Last Man

For the Buy.com deal, you should pick up Absolute New Frontier and Absolute Kingdom Come. Also both Invincible Ultimate Collections and the trades they don't cover.

Ok, which leads to a question- what distinguishes the two? The fact that they are released in monthly issues? Is a GN put out in one book, one release?

Because I'll hear people describe V as a graphic novel, because it has a beginning and an end. Whereas I usually consider trades to be collections of ongoing comics, which only end when they cancel the series. Like, Ultimate spiderman has trades, but Sin City books are graphic novels, even though they came out in issues. Same thing with V or watchmen.

Langly on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited December 2006
    Trades are collections of previously released issues - example: Fables Vol. 1
    Graphic novels are big comic books that were released as a big book (usually hardcover!) example: Fables - 1001 Nights of Snowfall

V for Vendetta is often called a graphic novel because it is "smart" and people think that calling something a "graphic novel" instead of a "comic book" makes them look cooler.

I guess Sin City could count as graphic novels

Garlic Bread on
  • MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Kingdom Come
    Dark Knight Returns
    Black Orchid
    V for Vendetta
    Ultra
    Top Ten & Top Ten: The 49ers
    Sandman
    Flight
    Watchmen
    Sin City

This is assuming you aren't a very clever Buy.com plant.

MuddBudd on
    There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • SkankPlayaSkankPlaya Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Powers, and if you only want 1 really good TPB of it, pick up Powers: Forever. I think it is pretty good stand alone, although the series is really good, I need to catch up on the most recent tpbs, so if you're in a spending sort of mood.... :lol: kick some my way.

You could also just pick up one of the Marvel Ultimate things, either the Ultimates, Ultimate X-Men, Ultimate Spider-Man...etc. They're all pretty good.

Also, for something not superhero, go get The Losers, or the Walking Dead.

GO GET PRIDE OF BAGHDAD.

You could also get Blankets, but I haven't read it I've only seen it be recommended elsewhere.

Also the Flight books are really good.

SkankPlaya on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    SkankPlaya wrote:
    You could also get Blankets, but you could just as easily go read some emo kid's livejournal where he pisses and moans about his ex-girlfriend that he's now stalking because it is the same goddamn thing and it won't take as long or cost you as much money.

Munch on
  • Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Man, Forever is awesome, but Rape Ape is not the best introduction to a book.

Conditional_Axe on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Trades are collections of previously released issues - example: Fables Vol. 1
    Graphic novels are big comic books that were released as a big book (usually hardcover!) example: Fables - 1001 Nights of Snowfall

V for Vendetta is often called a graphic novel because it is "smart" and people think that calling something a "graphic novel" instead of a "comic book" makes them look cooler.

I guess Sin City could count as graphic novels
    The overwhelming majority of the books mentioned before this post were originally sold in single comics.

Including all of Sin City except Family Values.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
    edited December 2006
    Was Sin City sold as singles? I thought it was just released as separate books

Garlic Bread on
  • Target PracticeTarget Practice Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Was Sin City sold as singles? I thought it was just released as separate books
    All of the long stories except Family Values were sold in singles as miniseries. The Hard Goodbye was originally published under Dark Horse Presents and later reprinted under its own miniseries before they published a trade of it. The various stories in Booze, Broads and Bullets were all, I believe, in Dark Horse Presents as well.

Target Practice on
    sig.gif
  • Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Seaguy. For Christ's sake Seaguy!

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
  • Spectre-xSpectre-x Rating: AWESOME YESRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:
    Joeker wrote:

V for Vendetta, Watchmen and DKR could definitely qualify as graphic novels, just like how Charles Dickens's stuff qualifies as novels, even though they were published as serials in newspapers.

Spectre-x on
  • Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sandman.

If you like Superman, when he's well done-
    Superman:Secret Identity
    Superman:Red Son

Watchmen. Read it again.

Sandman.
    Batman: Dark Knight Returns
    Sandman.
    Sin City.
    Sandman.
    From Hell.
    Sandman.
    Discworld. It's not a graphic novel, read it anyways.
    Penny Arcades.
    Sandman.
    Sandman.

I may have mentioned Sandman, but I'll mention it again.
    Sandman.

Ethan Smith on
  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sandman.

If you like Superman, when he's well done-
    Superman:Secret Identity
    Superman:Red Son

Watchmen. Read it again.

Sandman.
    Batman: Dark Knight Returns
    Sandman.
    Sin City.
    Sandman.
    From Hell.
    Sandman.
    Discworld. It's not a graphic novel, read it anyways.
    Penny Arcades.
    Sandman.
    Sandman.

I may have mentioned Sandman, but I'll mention it again.
    Sandman.

Hope you have a crisp benjamin on you, cause that's how much Absolute Sandman Vol. 1 is going to run you. If your the patient type, you can get it on amazon for 60-ish.

But yeah. I'm not even in to these graphic novels and I reccomend Sandman.

One hell of a story.

Godfather on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Oh, if you're into Superman, "Superman: Birthright" is a great origin story.

KalTorak on
    edited December 2006
    And Superman: For All Seasons (which has my two favorite Superman moments!)

and Superman: Up, Up, and Away, which is the OYL issues.

Garlic Bread on
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Guys, how would you rate Batman: The Long Halloween? I ask because I just picked it up on a whim today (thanks to an awesome 3 for 2 sale that also netted me Kingdom Come and The Dark Knight Returns) but haven't cracked it open yet. Was this a sound purchase?

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Red or AliveRed or Alive Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:

[spoiler:5e04485463]"My mom made it for me."[/spoiler:5e04485463]

Good book, that. And I'm not usually a big fan of Jeph Loeb's writing.

Continuing the Superman theme, Superman: Secret Identity is a brilliant, completely self-contained wee book perfect for anyone who usually rolls their eyes at comics.

Come to think of it, it'd make a decent Christmas present.
    wwtMask wrote:
    Guys, how would you rate Batman: The Long Halloween? I ask because I just picked it up on a whim today (thanks to an awesome 3 for 2 sale that also netted me Kingdom Come and The Dark Knight Returns) but haven't cracked it open yet. Was this a sound purchase?

Left me a bit cold, personally. But its reputation is almost impeccable, so I'm pretty much in the minority in my opinion.

Red or Alive on
    edited December 2006
    Keith wrote:

[spoiler:6f6f4e3f9f]"My mom made it for me."[/spoiler:6f6f4e3f9f]

That and the "Folks call me Superman."

Garlic Bread on
  • JoekerJoeker Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    Munch wrote:
    It seems like you're into both the more grounded yet still supernatural/fantasy stuff (Y the Last Man, Fables), but also superhero stuff (Watchmen, Batman: DKR), so if you were to give us an idea of what you liked best, or characters you might be interested in; that may help us make good suggestions.

I'm willing to try anything. I like Fables more than Y, Watchmen more than V for Vendetta, and I have always liked Batman. I have all of the Batman TAS DVDs. Oh Harley, how I love you and your voice.

A few thoughts:

Except for Jessica Alba dancing I didn't care much for the Sin City movie so I balked at buying the novel box set.

I am planning on reading American Gods this weekend to see if I like Neil Gaimen's writing.

Are Bone, Marvel Zombies, and American Born Chinese (Amazon recommends it) any good?

Joeker on
  • DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Bone is brilliant, and I also loved American Gods, despite not getting half the references.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
    edited December 2006
    Bone and ABC are really good, especially the earlier Bone. Marvel Zombies isn't exactly good, but it's a lot of fun.

Hensler on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    American Gods is not exactly Gaiman's best work. It's very hard to identify with the main character, and that makes the book hard to get into.

Go buy Neverwhere instead. Read it and see if you like it.

And even if you don't buy it, go buy Good Omens too (that's Gaiman with Terry Pratchett who writes the Discworld novels)

Oh and Stardust is another fucking excellent Gaiman book. But I'd still say that Neverwhere is the best intro to Gaiman as a writer.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited December 2006
    Neverwhere was the one with the fantasy world under London? I'm not Gaiman fan, but that was a great book, I'd reccomend that over American Gods. I've read most of his stuff, and Neverwhere and Good Omens are the only 2 I really thought matched the hype.

Hensler on
  • OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    also I just read "The Last Temptation" by him and Alice Cooper

it's pretty great if you are expecting entertainment and not Sandman

it is also short and the art is wonderful

e: and his novels aren't really good metersticks by which to judge his comics

Orikaeshigitae on