As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Marvel Universe - Across the Pond

HenslerHensler Registered User regular
edited December 2006 in Graphic Violence
Anybody reading the Marvel books set in the UK? I'm really liking them, especially since they don't have to deal with all the Civil War stuff.

New Excalibur - I'm kind of pissed that it looks like Juggernaught won't be turning evil, but these past few issues have been excellent. The team just breaking apart in the middle of a mission and beating the shit out of each other was great. Black Knight dropped one of the best comic book insults ever right there:
THE CHAMPIONS WERN'T EVEN THIS BAD.

Can I use the spoiler tag if I'm locked? I have no idea, I guess we'll find out.
And next month, it looks like we'll be seeing a Ninja Juggernaught. That should be most excellent, plus the reveal about his origin at the end of this month was really cool. Sure it got ripped off of an old What If? issue, but I've thought about the same thing myself before.
Bad news though, after next issue, it looks like Claremont is being brought back. Letting Claremont right hasn't worked out for Marvel in two decades, but they keep giving him titles. His run is supposed to deal with a tragedy on the team. My dream title from him has him killing off Sage to remove his taint from an otherwise great team.

Next up, we have Union Jack. I can't post it since I'm locked, but check out the cover for #4: http://marvel.com/comics/onsale/covers/1206/UNIONJ004_cov.jpg

That is just plain cool. This series has been about Captain America's vampire hunting, tea loving counterpart fighting off London terrorists. It's spun off of the appearance the character made earlier this year in Brubaker's Captain America - I have no idea who Christos Gage is, but he's made a really good book here. It's a grim, dark look at a team of superheroes fighting terrorists. Well written, with some cool characters.

And lastly, my personal favorite, Wisdom. Wisdom isn't a well known character in the Marvel universe, but he's basically an angry, mutant version of James Bond who Warren Ellis created. This new MAX series originally sounded like Marvel's answer to Fables, but is a whole other beast type of book. It's gory, graphic, over the top and just a lot of fun. The first issue has Wisdom leading a team of operatives into the land of fairies to kick some ass. His team features another Captain America ripoff, but this one seems to be a lot funnier and possibly insane; an evil fairly with a gattling gun, and a Skrull that is impersonating John Lennon. A great book that I doesn't seem to have gotten much buzz yet.

Hensler on

• Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Union Jack has had some insanely good fights that both acknowledge his relative weakness compared to the rest of the superpowered community and display the kind of ingenuity such a man would need in order to overcome such a weakness.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    ServoServo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    i have a question, actually. in that team-up he had with cap a little while ago, cap and union jack were fighting with some girl who had superspeed maybe? what was her deal? she was like jack's partner.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    That's Spitfire; she's a speedster and one of Cap's allies from WW2. She's a great character with a good writer. She's roughly as fast as Quicksilver before Decimation, but doesn't get used nearly enough by Marvel.

Hensler on
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I like Juggernaut as a good guy. He was more one-dimensional as a villian then the Hulk was. Oh, I hate my brother, oh, I'm super strong...

Here at least he has a little more depth... and his turning from evil to good was an awesome progression I'd hate to see destroyed.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Sentry wrote:
    I like Juggernaut as a good guy. He was more one-dimensional as a villian then the Hulk was. Oh, I hate my brother, oh, I'm super strong...

Here at least he has a little more depth... and his turning from evil to good was an awesome progression I'd hate to see destroyed.

oh yeah, i was going to say- if claremont's coming back on the book, well, i don't really expect juggernaut to stay good for long.

man, this same thing happened with a character i like a while ago, and now i can't quite put my finger on who it was. was it sandman? i'm just not sure.

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    There actually was an interview on Newsarama wherein he explicitly stated that Juggernaut would go evil again. It was something like, "I'm tired of everyone calling him Huggernaut."

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I haven't read Excalibur, so I can't comment on that.

I haven't read the new Union Jack, either, but I have his last mini (with John Cassaday on art duties), and that was great. I buy SO many monthlies now that I had already thrown this one on my TPB-to-buy list.

I was never a big Excalibur-phile, so I don't know a WHOLE lot about Wisdom, but he seemed cool. Then there's also that thing that forces me to buy anything and everything Warren Ellis writes. Goddamn that thing! So I'll probably wind up checking this out eventually as well.
    *EDIT* wait, is Ellis writing the Wisdom book? Your mention of Ellis creating him threw me off.

Vargas Prime on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:
    There actually was an interview on Newsarama wherein he explicitly stated that Juggernaut would go evil again. It was something like, "I'm tired of everyone calling him Huggernaut."

my eyes are rolling so hard now

Servo on
    newsigs.jpg
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    robosagogo wrote:

Great... he's only the most interesting thing about Excaliber right now... that and the fact that Wisdom is such an utter cock. On the other hand, it'll just mean one less book I have to buy.

God... they went through so much making him good... he actually had a freaking journey of redemption that lasted like, what, 2 to 3 years? Man... that just pisses me off. Now he can break Tom out of prison and everything will go back to the way it was... damn progression, full reverse.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Eh, I still think they're going to reform him after he beats the shit out of Ninja Juggernaught. Claremont might undo it, but I think for at least a couple issues, Juggernaught will have full power, and be a good guy.

You guys want some more good news? I was just trying to find out if his Excalibur run was limited or indefinate (the latter), and I read that he's also going to take over Exiles pretty soon, too.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I thought that Claremont was co-plotting his books still, even though he wasn't actively writing them?

Conditional_Axe on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Which is a good thing. Claremont can come up with the big picture still, but when he starts trying to do details and make everything work, it falls apart. Right now he is coming up with the overall storyline, but he gives it other writers who actually write a story based off of his ideas. He's going to start writing it all himself again in a couple of issues though.

Hensler on
  • Options
    Conditional_AxeConditional_Axe Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Claremont still has it, just not with great consistency.

New Excalibur has been really good so far, and his Uncanny was starting to build up a really good head of steam when he got kicked to bring Brubaker on board.

And I still say House of M: The Day After is one of the best single issues put out by Marvel in the past five years.

Conditional_Axe on