As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

So I just upgraded to Vista!

TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
I'm making this thread not just for my first question, but for the millions I will have as I try to figure this all out.

First question:
For some odd reason vista thinks that my monitor no longer supports its native resolution of 1680x1050, I have everything updated driver-wise and was wondering how I could fix this.

I'm sure I'll find a bunch more things to ask within the next half hour of messing around with this.

Edit: Do any of you actually use that sidebar thing? If so, know any good gadgets to add?

My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
TheLawinator on

• FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    64- or 32-bit?

Fraz on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    64 bit

TheLawinator on
    edited February 2008
    64 bit

Good man. I don't know what could be wrong with your system, but could you post your system specs?

Fraz on
  • fogeymanfogeyman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Try changing the resolution in the Nvidia control panel. Open your Windows Control Panel, go to Additional Options, then NVIDIA Control Panel and see if 1680x1050 is available there.

fogeyman on
    edited February 2008
    fogeyman wrote: »
    Try changing the resolution in the Nvidia control panel. Open your Windows Control Panel, go to Additional Options, then NVIDIA Control Panel and see if 1680x1050 is available there.
    All it has is 1600 x 1200.

Specs:
    2 Nvidia 8800 gts 512
    Intel Q6600
    4 gb corsair ram

Monitor: Gateway 21" LCD

Let me know if you need anything specific.

TheLawinator on
    edited February 2008
    Hmm I don't know...

Sorry.

fogeyman on
    edited February 2008
    Have you tried uninstalling the video driver, restarting and then reinstalling the latest one? Maybe try that with the monitor's drivers?

Make sure everything is patched.

Fraz on
    edited February 2008
    The thing about it is that the gateway monitor has no drivers, it was bundled with this Eztune software that should identify the monitor, but it won't. I already sent in my info to the people who made the program.

TheLawinator on
    edited February 2008
    Bummer.

Apart from that, how are you liking Vista?

Fraz on
    edited February 2008
    Well... it's kind of like someone took XP... and shook it until everything was all jumbled and things that have been the same for 13 years had new names and were in new menus. Overall I'm sure I'll love it once I figure out how to use it with the same degree I can XP. It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to uninstall a program. That and why no run command?

TheLawinator on
  • Spoom182Spoom182 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sometimes, when I turn my monitor on after turning the computer on and it has booted up, it wont show 1680x1080. You've probably already done this, but I guess try turning it on before you turn on your computer...
    By the way, I use windows XP, so this is probably even less likely to work.

Spoom182 on
    edited February 2008
    Well... it's kind of like someone took XP... and shook it until everything was all jumbled and things that have been the same for 13 years had new names and were in new menus. Overall I'm sure I'll love it once I figure out how to use it with the same degree I can XP. It took me 10 minutes to figure out how to uninstall a program. That and why no run command?
    The start menu search box serves as a run command. Whatever you used "Run" for in XP, you should be able to use the start menu search box for in Vista.

fogeyman on
  • SnowconeSnowcone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The start menu search box serves as a run command. Whatever you used "Run" for in XP, you should be able to use the start menu search box for in Vista.

Windows Key + R also still brings up the old Windows XP Run menu.

Snowcone on
  • victor_c26victor_c26 Chicago, ILRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Lawinator: Did this happen before or after you installed the ForceWare drivers?

I've had certain ForceWare driver versions completely remove a resolution I was using, most likely due to a mistake someone made, only to find the resolution come back in the next ForceWare release.

victor_c26 on
    It's been so long since I've posted here, I've removed my signature since most of what I had here were broken links. Shows over, you can carry on to the next post.
    edited February 2008
    When I first started using the computer I already had the ForceWare driver installed. I think I'll try a different version in the morning or something.

TheLawinator on
    edited February 2008
    When I first started using the computer I already had the ForceWare driver installed. I think I'll try a different version in the morning or something.
    Wait, already installed? Did you not try installing the newest version (I thought you did from your OP, but this post confuses me)?

If you didn't, then try that. If you did, try the latest beta driver. If that doesn't work, try an older (not beta) driver.

fogeyman on
    edited February 2008
    Wait, already installed? Did you not try installing the newest version (I thought you did from your OP, but this post confuses me)?

If you didn't, then try that. If you did, try the latest beta driver. If that doesn't work, try an older (not beta) driver.

Ok, I had this computer built for me, and so it came with a few of the drivers installed, I made sure to install the latest drivers, I'll try rolling them back to see what happens.

TheLawinator on
  • gneGnegneGne Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Reinstall those Forceware drivers, that might work.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/winvista_x64_169.25_whql.html

gneGne on
    pasigcopyox6.jpg
    edited February 2008
    So... I was about to try rolling back my forceware drivers when my water cooling sprung a leak! I'm taking back the system and redoing it without water cooling and changing a few things, I also found an alternate solution, a program called powerstripe.

What gadgets do you use?

TheLawinator on
  • BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I think it's great that you described it this way, because after I got Vista back in June, that's almost exactly how I described it to people. Specifically, I said it was like you took everything from XP, put it all in a bag, shook it violently, poured the contents on a table and called it an OS.

I didn't know about the Windows Key + R trick. I just took the left+right click shortcut in my mouse settings and mapped it to the Run prompt. That'll be helpful.

Ballman on
    edited February 2008
    So... I was about to try rolling back my forceware drivers when my water cooling sprung a leak! I'm taking back the system and redoing it without water cooling and changing a few things, I also found an alternate solution, a program called powerstripe.

What gadgets do you use?
    I use pointless gadgets: Outlook Calendar (I usually forget it's there and just check the version in Outlook), weather (I usually forget it's there and just check weather.com), stopwatch/countdown (I usually forget it's there and use a watch), and...well you get the idea.

fogeyman on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I use the CPU thing becuase it looks kinda cool.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • LaCabraLaCabra MelbourneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    First thing you should do is disable User Account Control in control panel -> user accounts. It serves no real purpose, since you'll wind up allowing everything out of instinct anyway.

LaCabra on
    edited February 2008
    LaCabra wrote: »
    First thing you should do is disable User Account Control in control panel -> user accounts. It serves no real purpose, since you'll wind up allowing everything out of instinct anyway.
    UAC is not just that annoying prompt. It also enables registry virtualization (ctrl+f for "virtualization"). If you can manage with the UAC prompts, don't disable it.

fogeyman on
  • JayKaosJayKaos Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm pretty sure you can just turn the Run command back on in start menu settings somewhere. I don't actually remember where, but it's on my start menu right now, so I assume I turned it on at some point.

Also I finally figured out why my search thing wasn't being nearly as useful as I wanted it to- turns out it was only indexing like two or three folders. So yeah now it's actually gonna index everything and it'll be useful for once.

JayKaos on
    Steam | SW-0844-0908-6004 and my Switch code
  • Nakatomi2010Nakatomi2010 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's a registry tweak to get the run box back, but the search box is more or less the new run box, and as someone else mentioned, Windows key + R is a gREAT rapid alternative..... I do it frequently at work....

Nakatomi2010 on
    Check out me building my HTPC (NSF56K) (Updated 1-10-08)
    Movie Collection
    Foody Things
    Holy shit! Sony's new techno toy!
    Wii Friend code: 1445 3205 3057 5295
  • Epyon9283Epyon9283 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Run thing is located in Accessories on the Start menu now. Pin it to the start menu to get it on the main menu all the time.

Epyon9283 on
  • RookRook Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Are there any commands you guys type in Run that don't work if you just type them in that little search box they give you?

Rook on
  • CronusCronus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

What gadgets do you use?

I'm using a to-do list. To-Do
    A woot.com gadget, the ask live gadget, and one that shows usage of my two cores and my memory.

Cronus on
    camo_sig.png
    "Read twice, post once. It's almost like 'measure twice, cut once' only with reading." - MetaverseNomad
    edited February 2008
    ...woot gadget. The only one I need.

TheLawinator on
  • CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Just felt like sharing this, remove those two pins to disable EDID(firmware that says you can't use certain resolutions).

I'd recommend you get a DVI/DVI adapter, so that you can't accidentally destroy your monitor's plug. :D

Carnarvon on
  • Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    See what happens when you do this-

Nvidia Control Panel -> Display -> Change Flat Panel Scaling ->

Select "Use my display's built in scaling"

Click "Change to Native Resolution"

See how that goes.

Waka Laka on
  • mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I have the "Run..." option over on the right-hand side of my start menu as well. It' s under task bar and start menu properties, under "Start Menu" tab, choose "Start Menu" (not classic) and then hit "Customize..."

You'll have a check box a ways down for the "Run..." command.

Though now that I know that the search box or Wndw-R work just as well, I guess there's no real point. *shrug*

It took me a month or two to really settle into Vista, but now I'm at the point where XP feels unfamiliar. Overall, given the choice, I'd go with Vista every time. Aside from a few issues I've had with legacy apps that don't play nice with it, I've been nothing but happy with it.

mcdermott on