As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Graphic novel recommendations?

• Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Ringo wrote:
    American Gods is not exactly Gaiman's best work. It's very hard to identify with the main character, and that makes the book hard to get into.

Go buy Neverwhere instead. Read it and see if you like it.

And even if you don't buy it, go buy Good Omens too (that's Gaiman with Terry Pratchett who writes the Discworld novels)

Oh and Stardust is another fucking excellent Gaiman book. But I'd still say that Neverwhere is the best intro to Gaiman as a writer.

Actually that's pretty much exactly my Gaiman experience. Tried to start w/ American Gods, couldn't get into it. Picked up Neverwhere and tore through it. Then I went back to AG, Anansi Boys, Stardust, Coraline, Good Omens... finally got ahold of the Sandman trades and ate them up. I'm addicted, man.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    KalTorak wrote:
    Ringo wrote:
    American Gods is not exactly Gaiman's best work. It's very hard to identify with the main character, and that makes the book hard to get into.

And even if you don't buy it, go buy Good Omens too (that's Gaiman with Terry Pratchett who writes the Discworld novels)

Oh and Stardust is another fucking excellent Gaiman book. But I'd still say that Neverwhere is the best intro to Gaiman as a writer.

Actually that's pretty much exactly my Gaiman experience. Tried to start w/ American Gods, couldn't get into it. Picked up Neverwhere and tore through it. Then I went back to AG, Anansi Boys, Stardust, Coraline, Good Omens... finally got ahold of the Sandman trades and ate them up. I'm addicted, man.
    he made several stand-alone graphic novels, too

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    wwtMask wrote:
    Guys, how would you rate Batman: The Long Halloween? I ask because I just picked it up on a whim today (thanks to an awesome 3 for 2 sale that also netted me Kingdom Come and The Dark Knight Returns) but haven't cracked it open yet. Was this a sound purchase?
    I thought it was ok. Nothing spectacular, but worth reading nonetheless.

And was this deal the one at Books-A-Million? I work there and we had an employee discount day, where everything was 40% off. Watchmen, Batman: Hush and Absolute Sandman all for under $100. So delicious.

EDIT: Also, i wouldn't recommend 300. It's not worth $30. If you really wanna read it, set aside about an hour and a half to sit at the store and read it from cover to cover. Otherwise, it just doesn't give you enough for your buck.

Diablo Fett on
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    wwtMask wrote:
    Guys, how would you rate Batman: The Long Halloween? I ask because I just picked it up on a whim today (thanks to an awesome 3 for 2 sale that also netted me Kingdom Come and The Dark Knight Returns) but haven't cracked it open yet. Was this a sound purchase?
    I thought it was ok. Nothing spectacular, but worth reading nonetheless.

And was this deal the one at Books-A-Million? I work there and we had an employee discount day, where everything was 40% off. Watchmen, Batman: Hush and Absolute Sandman all for under $100. So delicious.

EDIT: Also, i wouldn't recommend 300. It's not worth $30. If you really wanna read it, set aside about an hour and a half to sit at the store and read it from cover to cover. Otherwise, it just doesn't give you enough for your buck.

Yes, this was at BAM. I stopped by there today instead of going to the gym and it turned out to be the right choice. However, they would only give the discount on things with the sticker on them and, sadly, Watchmen was not among them. :v: I might go back and see if they've rectified the situation by putting more stickers on the books.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    KalTorak wrote:
    Ringo wrote:

he made several stand-alone graphic novels, too

Yeah I've been reading them whenever i'm in a bookstore. A lot of them are adaptations of his short stories in Smoke & Mirrors and Fragile Things. Good reads, in both forms - I just can't pony up the cash for the hardback graphic versions.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    projectmayhemprojectmayhem Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Absolute Kingdom Come
    1401207685.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V41697242_.jpg

Kravens Last Hunt
    114943960142297900.jpg

Ex-Machina (if you like Y: you should like this)
    1401206123.01._SS500_SCLZZZZZZZ_V1123703956_.jpg

Also, Runaways is awesome/Marvel Zombies/The AoA tradepaper backs/Idenitiy Crises

projectmayhem on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hellboy Hellboy Hellboy

august on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Authority
    Runaways
    The Ultimates

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So I needed something to read at lunch today, so I went out and bought all the Y trades. And you fuckers were actually right about something - this is a good book. I'm still not giving any of you assholes cookies, though.

Hensler on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    Authority

I second that. Not only is it by Warren Ellis, but I also really like that a fuckton of people get wiped out instead of "oh dear, some bruises and broken bones, let's get them to the hospital" when the shit hits the fan like many other comics do.

Echo on
  • Options
    Herr CaesarHerr Caesar Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Also, if you ever decide that you're done with life, pick up The Filth.

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
  • Options
    SlagmireSlagmire Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I think I want The Walking Dead Hardcovers. Tell me I need to have these or I'm crazy.

Slagmire on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006

There's no o_O big enough for The Filth.

Echo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:

Which is precisely why I love it.

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:

Which is precisely why I love it.

I read The Filth all in one sitting, while drinking chocolate milk and eating Twizzlers. I almost puked.

I'm glad I got the trade, because I'm not sure if I would have made it through the singles. Fucking brilliant shit, obviously though.

august on
  • Options
    JoekerJoeker Registered User new member
    edited December 2006
    I bought all of Preacher, We3, The Filth, and book 1 of Walking Dead. Thanks for the help so far and I do want more. As my Xmas present I have decided to buy 52ish so I have one for every week of next year to read.

Couple more questions:

Anyone read the Bone One Volume edition? I'm worried reading from a 1600 page book will be awkward.

Is Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison a complete story?

How about League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Joeker on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    -Get League of Extraordinary Gentlemen (That series raped my childhood memories of Rupert the Bear)
    -Y the Last Man
    -Invincible
    -V for Vendetta
    -Maus
    -Stormwatch
    -American Way

THE AUTHORITY
    Limed and Repeated for Truth

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Joeker wrote:
    Is Arkham Asylum by Grant Morrison a complete story?

Yes.

How about League of Extraordinary Gentlemen?

Two volumes so far, with a third on the way.

august on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Seaguy

Herr Caesar on
    civbandit.jpg
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited December 2006
    The Walking Dead is really good.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Seaguy

I don't get seaguy.

I'm sorry.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • Options
    Teh ErickaTeh Ericka Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    the trade paperback for American Virgin just came out (in November, I think) and I am obsessed with it.

Teh Ericka on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    bobgorila wrote:
    Seaguy

I don't get seaguy.

I'm sorry.

Some stuff happens.

There's some symbolic stuff about living in a sanitized modern world and the nature of mortality.

Book ends.

august on
  • Options
    saint2esaint2e Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Teh Ericka wrote:
    the trade paperback for American Virgin just came out (in November, I think) and I am obsessed with it.

I was pleasantly surprised with it. Why the obsession?

saint2e on
    banner_160x60_01.gif
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    august wrote:
    bobgorila wrote:
    Seaguy

I don't get seaguy.

I'm sorry.

Some stuff happens.

There's some symbolic stuff about living in a sanitized modern world and the nature of mortality.

Book ends.
    There was meant to be a sequel.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    Mai-KeroMai-Kero Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    HERE COMES MICKEY EYE! :whistle:

Mai-Kero on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Hmm. I had the opposite experience, where I enjoyed Neverwhere but absolutely love American Gods. Maybe it's because I'm a sucker for mythology, I dunno.

The Murder Mysteries graphic novel is pretty good too.

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It would be better to read Ellis's Stormwatch issues before reading the Authority. Not totally necesary, but it makes for a more fulfilling experience.

WE3 is a great book that everyone should read.

Transmetropolitan is really good too.

I am trying to think of books you could read without needing a lot of backstory or familiarity with the characters or the comics medium in general to appreciate...

DouglasDanger on
  • Options
    Teh ErickaTeh Ericka Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    saint2e wrote:
    Teh Ericka wrote:

I was pleasantly surprised with it. Why the obsession?

It's got pretty much every Vertigo hook I enjoy. sex, violence, vendettas, angst, nudity, god... and art that turns me on. Preacher is one of my other favorites. Comic obsession is fairly easy for me.

I'm practically peeing myself in anticipation over the Neverwhere graphic novel.

Teh Ericka on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I still check American Virgin out every now and again, but it's really not grabbing me.

It might be something to do with how someone claimed the book would be to perversion what Preacher was to violence.

Man, way to over-sell.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    robosagogorobosagogo Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I just like the idea of a fundamentalist Christian protagonist that is neither unsympathetic and evil nor a denizen of some kind of simple, one-dimensional world so devoid of nuance and ambiguity that you can abide by Christian values wholeheartedly without ever being forced to question yourself or your beliefs.

The lecture he gave the stripper in the first issue kind of sold me with its sincerity and complete lack of condescending moralizing. I wish real religious folks could be like that.

robosagogo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Well yes.

But I was told it would be as good like Preacher.

It is not.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    DakDak Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I wouldn't really advise Bone. I've only read the first trade, and it as really my thing - and I like very much the same stuff you're liking. I say pick up Ex Machina, the Walking Dead, Invincible, Seven Soldiers of Victory and DEFINITELY SANDMAN.

Dak on
    GAWink.jpg
  • Options
    StigmaStigma Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So I hear SANDMAN is the shit...
    I just don't know alot about it.

Is it standalone or does it tie into characters already popular? Most importantly, I'm assuming it's impossible to find, or find cheaply... so uh.
    I guess that's a question.

Stigma on
    YHWHYinYangblueblackblueborder.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Are you talking about Niel Gaiman's Sandman?

Because yeah, it's pretty self-contained. There are brief cameos from the Martian manhunter, Wesley Dodds, John Constantine, Lucifer and similar throughout the series, but they're really brief and wiki will sort you out on that front.

The complete Sandman is like, twelve TPBs or something, so it's going to set you back to get the whole lot. Why not grab the first one and see what you think?

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    DakDak Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Sandman is like, one of the most popular collected series ever. You'll have no problem finding copies of Sandman.

I disagree with bobgorila, the first one is usually the one that sets people off, because it's so different from the others because Gaiman was still finding what kind of story/stories he wanted to tell. Also, the art blows ass in the first volume, and it's hard to get past that without an appreciation for the writing you get from reading some of the other ones.

So I dunno, pick up a random one, they're not completely stand-alone but Gaiman says it's cool to read them out of order. It doesn't really affect the reading too much.

Pick up Season of Mists or something. Or Brief Lives.

Dak on
    GAWink.jpg
  • Options
    KirkKirk Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I'm reading Ultra right now and I love it.

You should get it.

Kirk on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, that's better advice.

Though I wouldn't say the art sucks ass, it's just a very acquired taste.

bobgorila on

Anally.
  • Options
    JebuJebu Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    You can start Sandman at The Doll's House and not feel like you missed anything at all. And it's a really awesome story.

The Books of Magic is also good (the standalone miniseries, not the ongoing series that started off with promise and then went straight downhill).

EDIT: Make sure you read the first Sandman graphic novel at some point if for no other reason than "24 hours". One of the scariest goddamn stories I've ever read.

Jebu on
  • Options
    ihopiusihopius Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I agree with the recogmendations made so far. I haven't seen these mentioned however.

'Heart of Empire' by Bryan Talbot. Excellent art and story and unfortunately very difficult to find.

'Grendel' and 'Mage: a Hero Discovered' by Matt Wagner. I prefer the Grendel stories set in the future, but the entire series is good.

And for those who wish to read a GN about GNs, 'Understanding Comics' by Scott McCloud.

ihopius on