As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Eee PC: anyone have one?

• Options
    FrazFraz Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I still want this thing.

Any more XP + Eee impressions?

Fraz on
  • Options
    DoronronDoronron Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How about: Several people I've shown mine to are already planning on buying their own EEE PCs and installing XP on them.

Doronron on
  • Options
    MunacraMunacra Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Get the thing.

Munacra on
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Whoa dudes.

So I have been reading up on the EEE for a while now, ever since I got to play with one at work for a long time. I ordered one two days ago, and though it's not here yet, I feel like I know everything about the little machine.

It's far smaller than you think until you actually handle it, and also a lot more powerful.

Many people are installing XP on it, as the default "easy mode" Xandros is apparently a bit buggy. I didn't like it as it made this awesome little piece of hardware feel like a simple PDA, which it is not! The included DVD even comes with Windows drivers and installation tips, and a full install of XP fits just fine on the 4 gig (2 gig left to spare for me). You can also use a program called nlite to slim it down even further. Of course I have nothing against Linux, it's just that XP will suit me better for my purposes on this machine.

The 900 MHz EEE has been underclocked by ASUS to ~600 MHz, which is actually fine for most applications and even games, but it's quite easy to "normalclock" it to its rated speed using a program called eeectl (Windows only). Although it may be that it was underclocked for a good reason, as a few people have reported problems with overclocking, but in general it seems safe to bump up the speed a bit.

I bought more RAM since I plan on trying some gaming on it. At Newegg it's only $30 for 2 gigs! My EEE is going to have more RAM than my desktop. :P If you plan on upgrading the RAM, make sure you have a regular 4 gig model or better (not the Surfs) since some of the less powerful models don't have an easy access RAM door on the bottom.

I also bought a 16 gig SDHC card for ~$70, which is a bit much but worth it given the going rate for SD cards. It's the best way to expand your storage space, and why you don't really need to wait for the 8 gig version to actually get in stock (they're having manufacturing problems or something).

By default the EEE handles resolutions of 800x480 (native) and 800x600 scrolling (as in, the screen scrolls when you move the mouse to the edge). Many games will work in 800x480 with minor modifications/registry hacks. If you trick it into thinking you have an external monitor with a homebrew VGA plug you can use other resolutions in scrolling mode or a stretched 640x480. However, the best solution is the modified drivers and kkjj's utility you can find at forum.eeeuser.com. You can get 800x600 or 1024x768 squished to fit the screen, which is perfect for gaming.

And speaking of gaming, you would not believe what you can do on this little machine. People have played Halo, UT2004, even WoW. Oblivion is even barely playable, provided you overclock and use oldblivion. Check out this thread.

By the way, the Cloudbook does seem rather inferior to the EEE in many ways. http://blog.laptopmag.com/category/cloudbook :|

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Done most of that myself, Sporky. I'm running Lazertag's modified drivers with kkjj scaling utility for 800x600 when I need it, but most of my programs run just fine at the default setting.

I've got a white 4GB model (not the surf!) with 2GB RAM installed. In addition to that, I picked up an 8GB SDHC card and a card reader to transfer files back and forth from the EEE to my other computers. Thanks to nlite, I've only got 1.5GB used on the 4gig SSD with all my software. I'm using a 10inch bag made for portable DVD players as this thing's carrying case. Even with the power brick and the card reader in the bag, this thing still weighs less than a conventional 15 inch laptop. I love this little guy.

Doronron on
  • Options
    DHS OdiumDHS Odium Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Now I'm really torn. Originally I wanted the EeePC. Then I found out about the Cloudbook, and wanted that instead. Mainly for a beefier processor speed (though it's a C7, I'm not sure how it weighs in against the Celeron) and the larger storage space. I had expected it to be slower loading things due to the hdd and not being flash.

I really wanted the Cloudbook to try and put Vista on, as I'd put 1GB of Ram in there, and I Have a 4GB MS Pro Duo lying around that the thing's card reader will take, and I could use that with ReadyBoost to maximize performance. But now I'm having my doubts.

I wouldn't mind an Eee PC with XP, but I'd prefer having Vista installed. Guess I'll wait a little longer to see more reviews of everything, and maybe wait until someone else gets Vista on either one of these things so I can read about it. I was ready to buy the Cloudbook the day it was released, but it sold out. Wondering if I lucked out.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Yeah, I kind of followed the same thought process as you, Odium, over a shorter time span. Every review I read of the Cloudbook seems to be a negative at this point. Somehow despite having a faster processor (clocked at double the baseline EEE), it ends up much slower in the end.

Waiting may be a good idea at this point, because there's a huge cascade of EEE copycats coming out of the woodwork now, though they're merely announcements and not likely to come out anytime soon. ASUS really hit a chord with this computer, it was a nearly untapped market and it's just exploded.

Or you could buy now to have a new toy to play with and sell it off later when you upgrade. People have put Vista on the EEE with great success, although there are apparently some tweaks that need to be done (a folder called "winsxs" that slowly balloons in size has to be moved or eliminated).

Read this forum for lots of info about getting Vista on the EEE.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    Mustachio JonesMustachio Jones jerseyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mine should be here on Friday, and I, frankly, cannot wait to play with it.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Don't know how long the honeymoon will last, but it's just so easy to take this thing with me and use it anywhere.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    so far my complaint is the small trackpad. my fingers get tired after using it for a while.

Also, it could have a bigger screen if it wasn't for those two big speakers next to it. I'd rather have lost the speakers and gotten a bigger screen. Some headphones would have been more than enough for whatever you need it for.

But I guess it is part of the unspoken agreement between Asus and the eeePC buyer.

Here they are offering a solidly built, more ultra-portable than any ultra-portable, with enough style and flair to satisfy any apple fanboy. They also have awesome support and made the machine easily hackable/moddable. The hardware is stable, and of good quality. And is more than enough for anything you may need your laptop for (save for videogames made after 2004. They will run but they won't be pretty) and only for $399 dollars. For $399 I forgive the minor flaws I've found.

Munacra on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't really even have those problems. The screen is big enough for my applications. Track pad is fine since I use the keyboard more often than not. The hardware is solid, and the thing is perfect for tossing into a bag and just going somewhere. You don't even notice the weight.

I'm still running on the charge I gave it Saturday.

Doronron on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    How is it out of the box, with the os unlocked, and what options are going to be available this year with what price points?

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

• Options
    BallmanBallman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just heard of this a few days ago, and it looks like concentrated awesome. I absolutely don't need one, but I don't see how that's relevant at all.

Ballman on
  • Options
    jarekjarek Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Munacra wrote: »
    Also, it could have a bigger screen if it wasn't for those two big speakers next to it.

That should probably be "it could have a bigger screen if Asus had aimed for a higher initial price point". The speakers are just there to fill up what would otherwise be an even more galling empty space. Asus has already announced pricier models with the exact same form-factor but with large screens (and smaller speaker areas).

jarek on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Hey, did I say I am in love with the Asus eee?

Because I am. I won't trash-talk my baby. She's too beautiful. I call her Olga.

Munacra on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    ...Still running on Saturday's charge. I'll plug it in tonight, though.

Doronron on
  • Options
    KungFuKungFu Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    With my incoming tax refund I will probably buy one of these.

If I want to install Windows XP & potentially older games like Warcraft III, Starcraft, Diablo2, etc, which model do I want? Im thinking I need the $349.99 4G Surf right?

And to install that other stuff I'll need an external CD-ROM drive and a bigger SD card right?

KungFu on
    Theft 4 Bread
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Do not get the surf model. My understanding is that in order to put RAM into it, you have to open the whole computer. Get the $399.99 4GB instead. You'll need the extra memory for some of those games.

You will also need an external CD\DVD drive to install XP, the games, and the Asus XP drivers. You can get an SDHC card for it, but from what I've seen, most tend to just install games on external hard drives.

Doronron on
  • Options
    DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Doronron wrote: »
    Do not get the surf model. My understanding is that in order to put RAM into it, you have to open the whole computer. Get the $399.99 4GB instead. You'll need the extra memory for some of those games.

You will also need an external CD\DVD drive to install XP, the games, and the Asus XP drivers. You can get an SDHC card for it, but from what I've seen, most tend to just install games on external hard drives.

Some of the 4G Surfs have the opening in the case and some do not. It's like finding a 65nm Xbox 360; it's luck of the draw. (The 2G Surf has memory soldered in and you can't upgrade it. Stay away from that one).

The 4G Surf and 4G only differ in the battery, webcam, microphone, and $50. I'm either getting a 4G Surf or waiting for the new revision due in April.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Quick question, for an external CD/DVD drive to install a new OS or programs, would the Xbox 360 HD-DVD work? It's USB, but I don't know if that computer, or any computer really, would at least pick it up as a regular optical drive and allow for a booting of an install/live CD. It's the only external optical drive that I have and it would be swell if it worked.

DHS Odium on
    Wii U: DHS-Odium // Live: DHS Odium // PSN: DHSOdium // Steam: dhsykes // 3DS: 0318-6615-5294
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »

Some of the 4G Surfs have the opening in the case and some do not. It's like finding a 65nm Xbox 360; it's luck of the draw. (The 2G Surf has memory soldered in and you can't upgrade it. Stay away from that one).

The 4G Surf and 4G only differ in the battery, webcam, microphone, and $50. I'm either getting a 4G Surf or waiting for the new revision due in April.

That's the thing, though. Would you want to order a surf model and find you need to take apart the entire computer just for the RAM? As for the webcam and microphone, you can turn them off and improve battery a bit further.

Of course, waiting for the April revision is not a bad idea if you really don't need it now.
    DHS Odium wrote: »
    Quick question, for an external CD/DVD drive to install a new OS or programs, would the Xbox 360 HD-DVD work? It's USB, but I don't know if that computer, or any computer really, would at least pick it up as a regular optical drive and allow for a booting of an install/live CD. It's the only external optical drive that I have and it would be swell if it worked.

I don't know. The EEE PC is pretty much just like any other laptop, just small. Have you tried plugging the 360 HD-DVD into your current computer to see if it'll read data disks?

Doronron on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Any rumors as to what will be in the April edition?

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Any rumors as to what will be in the April edition?

Merom-core processors. Rumor is they're cutting power use from 11W to 7W.

also a model with a bigger screen but that will probably cost much more

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Got mine a few days ago and it is awesome. All parts I ordered are working flawlessly, 2 gigs of RAM, 16 gig SDHC card which is essentially the same as upgrading the internal storage.

I have Unreal Tournament, Black & White, Morrowind, Diablo 2, and Age of Empires on it already. UT and Morrowind require some easy modification to put them at 800x600 resolution, and D2 has to run in a window. Age of Empires doesn't work for me yet because you have to run it at 640x480 which isn't supported without some messing around.

It is just so awesome to see this stuff running on such a tiny machine.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Just got mine today, and so far I'm pleased. I don't have an external DVD drive or the means to get one currently, so Xandros will suffice for now. I'm just having trouble getting the Full Desktop to run, but we'll see what happens. Troubleshooting away!

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I talked to my girlfriends brother in law about this. He hadn't heard of it, but he is in the technology trade.
    Apperantly it is pronounced Uh-seuss, not ay-sis.

Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Isn't it ah-soos?

Munacra on
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I always call them "Ay-sus".

Has anyone tried putting Visual Studio on these things? I reckon I'll grab a 15'' but the thought of coding with VS on that dinky little thing amuses me.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The people I work with pronounce it "A Suess".

I think the bottleneck for running any productivity software on the EEE PC will be hard drive space for the install. If your software's requirements are lower to or equal to the EEE PC's specs (which pretty much everything is), you should be fine. I had one program require the screen resolution be 800x600 for the install, but it ran just fine at 800x480.

I'm just trying to imagine scrolling through Reason's rack on this little screen. The computer itself is capable of running it.

This thing is a real computer. Honest. :P

Doronron on
  • Options
    NibbleNibble Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Most native English speakers would pronounce it "AY-sus" based on the spelling; but it's a Taiwanese company, and everyone there calls it "ah-SEUSS", so I'll side with them on this one.

I've decided that I'm gonna wait and see what the second generation looks like before I put any money down.

Nibble on
    sig.php?id=178
  • Options
    AiranAiran Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The people I work with pronounce it "A Suess".

I think the bottleneck for running any productivity software on the EEE PC will be hard drive space for the install. If your software's requirements are lower to or equal to the EEE PC's specs (which pretty much everything is), you should be fine. I had one program require the screen resolution be 800x600 for the install, but it ran just fine at 800x480.

I'm just trying to imagine scrolling through Reason's rack on this little screen. The computer itself is capable of running it.

This thing is a real computer. Honest. :P

Well yeah aside from the speed issues with compiling I was just wondering how users fared with such a low resolution and screen size. Granted it's larger than a PSP, but I hold a PSP closer to me whereas I might place the EEE on a desk.

Airan on
    paDudSig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well fuck, apparently I'll be in the Eee PC camp. That's not a bad thing. But I did decide to go the Cloudbook route, due to the HDD and being able to get Vista installed without any tweaking (and using a MS Pro Duo for ReadyBoost, which the Eee PC lacks a slot for), and I find online that it's a complete bitch to upgrade the ram in the Cloudbook. You literally need to take the entire thing apart to add some RAM. I've done a similar thing replacing a HDD in an iBook, and I don't look forward to doing it again.

I am right to assume the Eee PC has an easy access RAM slot, correct?

I already have 1GB of RAM that should work, though I'll need to find another use for this 4GB MS Pro Duo stick lying around.

4GB Galaxy Black, here I come.

EDIT: Also, that Ubuntu Mobile looks pretty sweet for something like this, though it would be better with a touch screen.

DHS Odium on
  • Options
    wha???wha??? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Airan wrote: »
    I always call them "Ay-sus".

Has anyone tried putting Visual Studio on these things? I reckon I'll grab a 15'' but the thought of coding with VS on that dinky little thing amuses me.

I can't imagine this working well, granted it can has a lot of ram...

I mean I use visual studio every day, and loathe it at times for performance reasons. Also don't think much of the VS interface would fit on the screen, along w/ the fun of only being able to see 20 - 30 lines of code @ a time.

Please correct me if i'm wrong here though :)

wha??? on
    sig.php?user=wha
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    Well fuck, apparently I'll be in the Eee PC camp. That's not a bad thing. But I did decide to go the Cloudbook route, due to the HDD and being able to get Vista installed without any tweaking (and using a MS Pro Duo for ReadyBoost, which the Eee PC lacks a slot for), and I find online that it's a complete bitch to upgrade the ram in the Cloudbook. You literally need to take the entire thing apart to add some RAM. I've done a similar thing replacing a HDD in an iBook, and I don't look forward to doing it again.

I already have 1GB of RAM that should work, though I'll need to find another use for this 4GB MS Pro Duo stick lying around.

4GB Galaxy Black, here I come.

EDIT: Also, that Ubuntu Mobile looks pretty sweet for something like this, though it would be better with a touch screen.

Yeah dude, just open the back, just pop the ram out in put the new one in. At least with the 4g non surf ones.

Munacra on
  • Options
    edited February 2008

Yep. The 4GB non surf models have an easy access panel on the bottom of the computer. It'll accept up to a 1x2GB 200pin PC5300 DDR2 SODIMM.
    Airan wrote: »
    Well yeah aside from the speed issues with compiling I was just wondering how users fared with such a low resolution and screen size. Granted it's larger than a PSP, but I hold a PSP closer to me whereas I might place the EEE on a desk.

Actually, I find the screen pretty crisp and clear. Very easy to read at 800x480. Slightly more fuzzy at 800x600 scaled, though.

Doronron on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I second Doronron's sentiment about the screen. You may think you will never be able to get used to the size, but play around with it for 8-10 seconds, and you will.

Munacra on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    So after having this little thing since Monday, here's what I think:

Linux. I hate it. I hate it so much. I can't get any of the stupid fucking repositories to update, so I have to manually download and dpkg the .deb files which is a real bitch when trying to install stuff that has seventy thousand different little files dependent on the single .deb, so all you have to do is sudo apt-get install program and it works. It looked like it was one of the easier programs to install, and I'm just messing around with Xandros at this point just for the hell of it. Wine'd ZSNES gives me a graphics error (resolution color problem) and I just cannot for the life of me get the repositories to update to apt-get install zsnes, and I can't be assed to go to a wifi hotspot to do it, lest people think I'm hacking their IPs.

tl;dr fuck xandros to a bloody pulp. no monies for an external optical drive to put XP on it. But on the plus side this thing is absolutely awesome and when something does finally work for me I feel like a grand champeen.

Mustachio Jones on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    bad stuff

Might want to edit your post so that you were magically talking about a different package the whole time.

Daedalus on
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I don't know why people are hesitant about buying this little gadget. I mean come on dudes, you won't be getting 99 layers in photoshop or editing gigs of video. You wont run crysis. But it's like the perfect laptop. perfect.

Learn to love this little beast.

Munacra on
  • Options
    MblackwellMblackwell Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Daedalus wrote: »
    bad stuff

Might want to edit your post so that you were magically talking about a different package the whole time.

Yeah I pretty much don't even understand what he's talking about and I've been using Linux almost constantly for a year...

make sure you're online, and then

sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install zsnes

If you want to check if it's even a valid package you can

sudo apt-cache policy zsnes

You know, you don't even have to update to install software, just to make sure you have all of the current versions of software listed.

But really in general I'm madly confused by that post.

Mblackwell on
    Music: The Rejected Applications | Nintendo Network ID: Mblackwell

This discussion has been closed.