As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Getting a Ps3, need some games now.

RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
Buuut, I have no idea what's good.
Except Uncharted. That looks good.

Rizzi on

• WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Depends what you like really.

Ratchet & Clank is really good, it's one of my favorite games. It's a mix between a platformer and third person shooter if you haven't played it before.

Folklore is really good if you're looking for a jrpg hack and slash with a good story.

Also, Call of Duty 4 is awesome if you don't already own it on something else.

I forgot to mention Rock Band because I'm European, but definately get that. Everyone needs Rock Band and it makes me cry knowing I can't play it till later this year.

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
  • RizziRizzi Sydney, Australia.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like everything.
    Except football.

Rizzi on
  • WickerBasketWickerBasket Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well there's also a lot of downloadable games on PSN too. Everyday Shooter and Warhawk are both worth the money.

WickerBasket on
    "please get on point coward baby magets."

PSN = Wicker86 ________ Gamertag = Wicker86
    edited February 2008
    There's Skate, Tony Hawk: Proving Ground and Tony Hawks Project 8.
    Why are there already two Tony Hawk games?
    (Also which is better? :P)

Rizzi on
  • TheSonicRetardTheSonicRetard Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Get Heavenly Sword. It's like a 3D streets of rage.

Also get warhawk and, if you don't get a 80 gb PS3, Motorstorm.

EDIT: AND SUPER STARDUST HD. FOR THE LOVE OF FUCKING GOD, SUPER STARDUST HD

TheSonicRetard on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    myps3gamesqg8.png

Heres some of the games I'm currently playing on my 60G. This does not include DLC or rented games. (Heavenly Sword and Uncharted are missing here)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    Why would I not get Motorstorm with an 80gb Ps3?
    Not that I can, they only come in 40gb models.

Rizzi on
    edited February 2008
    Rizzi wrote: »
    Why would I not get Motorstorm with an 80gb Ps3?
    Not that I can, they only come in 40gb models.

no no, I mean, if you're not getting an 80 gb version, pick up motorstorm as well. Because the 80 gb version comes with motorstorm, while the 40 gb version does not.

TheSonicRetard on
    edited February 2008
    Ah that makes sense.
    Virtua Fighter;
    Yes or No?

Rizzi on
  • BakerIsBoredBakerIsBored Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Ah that makes sense.
    Virtua Fighter;
    Yes or No?

I personally like Tekken 5 DR better...

I still need to find me a copy of MvC2 PS2 version to go along with my Soul Cal 3 :)

BakerIsBored on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    Ah that makes sense.
    Virtua Fighter;
    Yes or No?

VF5 is the supreme fighting game on the market.

EDIT: Although if you have a 360, buy it there instead.

TheSonicRetard on
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Do you have a 360 or a gaming PC? Because if you don't then we can recommend some very good multi platform games like Call of Duty 4. If you do have one of these then I'd stick to ps3 exclusives like Warhawk and Uncharted. (I looved uncharted very much recommend)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
    edited February 2008
    Ps3 only.

Rizzi on
  • DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you're interested in the skateboard games, Skate is the best one. Hawk has been stagnate for years. Skate is pure awesome. I'm not even a huge skateboard game fan, and I still bought it, 'cause its fun.

Of course, there are plenty of demos on PSN so you can try out these games for free. Just some awesome demos off the top of my head:

Ninja Gaiden Sigma
    Skate
    Ratchet & Clank Future
    Super Stardust HD
    The Club
    Devil May Cry 4
    Uncharted
    Stranglehold

Dirty on
    edited February 2008
    What's UT III like?
    Any good or a waste of money?

Rizzi on
  • UberEvUberEv Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What's UT III like?

I'm really enjoying it so far, but there is a bit of lag from Japan (as expected). I'd say though if you speak/read any Japanese at all I cannot recommend Disgaea 3 enough.

UberEv on
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    There's also Assassin's Creed, Everyday Shooter, PS1 downloadable games like Castlevania: SOTN, Twisted Metal, etc. I also really like flOw, Superstar Dust, and VF5. Uncharted is a must have, as is Rock Band. There's the Dynasty Warriors: Gundam game if you're into it. DMC 4, Ratchet, Heavenly Sword, etc. I haven't played Calling All Cars, but there's tons of demos up for the downloadable games.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Why is no one mentioning:

Resistance: Fall of Man (Play online!)
    Heavenly Sword (Short, but oh so sweet.)
    The Orange Box (Play online!)

Also, it has been mentioned, but DMC4 & Uncharted.

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • GroveGrove Los AngelesRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'd highly recommend trying the Resistance demo. Because I fucking hated the demo and it saved me 60 bucks.

Grove on
    Selling PS3 & 360 Madcatz TE Stick
  • Dark ShroudDark Shroud Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you're into playing online games then you should buy the full version of WarHawk as it comes with Bluetooth Headset that will cover all your other games. I never went online with a console until I got a PS3 and I love it. I just wouldn't pay for my xBox or 360 since I'm used to getting that free on my PC.

Dark Shroud on
    edited February 2008
    Well here's what I will probably get.
    Uncharted, Ratchet and Clank, Assassins Creed, Orange Box, Devil May Cry 4, Burnout Paradise, Ninja Gaiden Sigma, Virtua Fighter and Warhawk.
    Anyone know when Gran Turismo 5 is coming out?

Rizzi on
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Please buy Folklore. Its a lot of fun, the artstyle is cool.

Uncharted is great as well. First PS3 I bought and first I ever beat. Definitely worth every single penny, although it was short.

I would also recommend not getting Untold Legends. That game is hrorororible. My friends and I bought it to play online, hoping we'd get Champions of Norath: Next Gen, and we were wrong.

You can't go wrong with DMC4. Heavenly Sword, from what I understand, is good but short.

UT3 is good, but really, I don't think I could play that on my PS3 without KB/M. I really dislike PS3's analogue sticks for FPS gaming (although I love the 360 for it).

About VF5, I would say do not get it. I would personally recommend, if you are in desperate need of a fighter, just holding off a little bit longer for Street Fighter IV and Soul Caliber IV. Online play will make it worth your while.

Edit: Gran Turismo 5 prologue is April 17th 2008 in North America. I would also say, by the way, considering holding off Assassins Creed (and Virtua Fighter, as I said above). Assassins Creed, while a great game, is going to start dropping in price to a point where I can reasonably say it is worth you buying it. Plus, you can put that money towards Folklore.

liquidlogan on
  • AlgertmanAlgertman Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Uncharted is an amazing game.

If you play online much I recommend Warhawk

Algertman on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Waaarrrrhhhhaaawwwwkkkk

Bamelin on
  • MistaCreepyMistaCreepy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Bamelin wrote: »
    Waaarrrrhhhhaaawwwwkkkk

What he said. Also buy Uncharted and Ratchet and Clank.

MistaCreepy on
    PS3: MistaCreepy::Steam: MistaCreepy::360: Dead and I don't feel like paying to fix it.
  • greeblegreeble Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm really surprised I'm the only one that recommended Call of Duty 4. It freaking won game of the year from many places. (And its currently on sale for $40) Also infinity ward is actively supporting the game with patches and stuff. Rock Band is tons of fun if you got folks to play with and can afford the price. (On sale for $150 in a few places)

greeble on
    PSN/steam/battle.net: greeble XBL: GreebleX

Let me tell you about Demon's Souls....
    I’ll tell you what happens in Demon’s Souls when you die. You come back as a ghost with your health capped at half. And when you keep on dying, the alignment of the world turns black and the enemies get harder. That’s right, when you fail in this game, it gets harder. Why? Because fuck you is why.
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just downloaded Calling All Cars today for some reason. That is by far one of the better downloadable games I've played on a console.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to go against the crowd and say only get Warhawk if you also enjoy games with stiff learning curves, like Battlefield 2.

I love the hell out of Battlefield 2 now, after initially hating it for a couple of months, but I couldn't put in the same kind of time for Warhawk after buying it. It was constantly frustrating, and without the extra incentive of unlockable stuff, I just lost all patience with it.

But yeah, pretty much all the ones mentioned so far are good. Uncharted is a system seller, Ratchet & Clank is good, Heavenly Sword is good, and Everyday Shooter and Flow are both pretty cool as well.

Skexis on
  • ArtArt Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    What about that new game with the immortal fellows, by the people who created that awful Blue Dragon? Lost Odyssey, I think it was called. More mature than Blue Dragon, I understand.

Art on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    EYE OF JUDGMENT

The Sneak! on
  • Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Personally, these are my three favourite games on the PS3:
    Devil May Cry 4
    Ratchet & Clank: Tools of Destruction
    Uncharted: Drake's Fortune

And my three favourite downloadable games:
    Everyday Shooter
    PixelJunk Monsters
    Super Stardust HD

As for Virtua Fighter 5, I'd hold off on it. Chances are, Sega will be releasing an upgraded version after VF5R comes out in the arcades, like they did on the PS2 (VF4 Evo). That's probably why they're refusing to patch in an online mode. In the meantime, buy Tekken 5: Dark Resurrection Online on the PS Store.

greeble: Uh, you're not the first to recommend CoD4... There were like three people that recommended it on the first page...

Art: Those games are on the 360...

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • DarkSymphonyDarkSymphony Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    if you don't have a 360:

DMC4
    Call of Duty 4
    Orange Box (the PS3 version is perfectly fine. it does chug, but rarely and just about only in episode 2).
    Oblivion GOTY edition
    Virtua Fighter 5
    Rock Band

exclusive must haves:

Resistance
    UT3 (well, exclusive for now if you don't have a PC)
    Ninja Gaiden Sigma (amazing. best version of the NG from xbox)
    Uncharted
    MotorStorm (if you like racing games it's actually ridiculously fun)
    Ratchet and Clank Tools of Destruction (it's just amazing)

Rent:

LAIR
    Heavenly Sword

DarkSymphony on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Art wrote: »
    What about that new game with the immortal fellows, by the people who created that awful Blue Dragon? Lost Odyssey, I think it was called. More mature than Blue Dragon, I understand.

360 exclusive

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
    edited February 2008
    Rock Band isn't out here yet. :(
    Do many people play UT III online? I'm from Australia, and I do like playing against people with a reasonable ping is all.

Rizzi on
    edited February 2008
    I never have trouble finding good servers for UT3 and besides, worst case scenario you play some good bot matches. I know it's not the same, but it's still fun. And, full mod support for the PS3 version. I love it.

DarkSymphony on
  • ArayaAraya Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    i picked up warhawk used for 25 bucks, and a bluetooth headset from staples clearance on boxing day for like 12 99...also, resistance was just kinda average and hard the first few levels but once you get going and can regen health its fun...also i played it on a projector in my basement with a friend and co op mode is awesome...as long as one of us was still alive we kept on going :D great fun

Araya on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    dmc4... 360 or ps3 version?

I'm ebaying a 60gig soon (unless there's a better way?) and I'm planning to get uncharted right off the bat with R&C and folklore soon to follow, but I want to know which version of dmc4 is considered better or if they are pretty much equal.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
    edited February 2008
    they're just about identical in every way except the controls feel more natural on PS3 version as well as the load times are shorter (and no, it's not instant loading a la SNES cart. It's damn short though). I played the PS3 version to completion on the first 3 difficulties and then watched a friend start and finish DMD on the 360 version.

The colors looked a tiny tiny bit better on the PS3 version, the load times were shorter on the PS3 version (although not much shorter) and the controls felt better on the PS3 version.

those differences are tiny however. It's almost no different at all.

DarkSymphony on
  • VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    much obliged.

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • GatsuiokiGatsuioki Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    UberEv wrote: »
    What's UT III like?

I'm really enjoying it so far, but there is a bit of lag from Japan (as expected). I'd say though if you speak/read any Japanese at all I cannot recommend Disgaea 3 enough.

Seriously? I watched the preview, and it looks like they took Disgaea 2 (which I love the hell out of and haven't played in weeks.) and mixed up the hair and facial expressions and said "Voila! Disgaea 3!"

How different is the gameplay from 2?

Gatsuioki on
    TDOT on Man vs Discovery Channel
    "Alright fuckers, I'm in charge now.

From here on, every week is Shark Week."