Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Books

• FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was thinking more 1950's onward type of sci-fi. I've never read any Clarke. I've never read any Asimov. I read Starship Troopers over ten years ago. I still haven't read The Man in the High Castle. Maybe I should check out that CS Lewis stuff.

I know this is from several pages back, but you really ought to read some Arthur C. Clarke. His characters are incredibly down to Earth, he based pretty much everything on legitimate science (well, the substantially less well-informed science of his time), and just writes incredibly engaging novels. His situations are fascinating - for a fantastic, entertaining science fiction story that smacks of realism and is often pretty thought provoking, you should try either A Fall of Moondust, The City and the Stars, The Sands of Time. Out of those, I'd say a A Fall of Moondust is the best manifestation of his sense of forward-thought.

reposig.jpg
  • SenjutsuSenjutsu fiddy too Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Borges is hot shit. Love that guy

Sarksus wrote: »
    I'm gonna get a PhD in incest.
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Fandyien wrote: »
    I was thinking more 1950's onward type of sci-fi. I've never read any Clarke. I've never read any Asimov. I read Starship Troopers over ten years ago. I still haven't read The Man in the High Castle. Maybe I should check out that CS Lewis stuff.

I know this is from several pages back, but you really ought to read some Arthur C. Clarke. His characters are incredibly down to Earth, he based pretty much everything on legitimate science (well, the substantially less well-informed science of his time), and just writes incredibly engaging novels. His situations are fascinating - for a fantastic, entertaining science fiction story that smacks of realism and is often pretty thought provoking, you should try either A Fall of Moondust, The City and the Stars, The Sands of Time. Out of those, I'd say a A Fall of Moondust is the best manifestation of his sense of forward-thought.

Clarke is wonderful
    Great characters, witty writing and he doesn't bullshit you.
    Try Tales From the White Hart
    A little more wacky but definately enjoyable

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    L|ama wrote: »
    I love that somebody used your instead of you're in a book thread :P

your dumb

what about it?

I'm going to hazard a guess that responding like that is possibly the douchiest way to show that someone is using the wrong homonym.

• laughingfuzzballlaughingfuzzball Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

your dumb

what about it?

I'm going to hazard a guess that responding like that is possibly the douchiest way to show that someone is using the wrong homonym.

No, it's more that pointing out typos is purely the realm of the Grammar Nazis, and you just lack the intelligence to join that 'club'.

Also, you should have put "your" and "you're" in quotes, since you were referencing the word itself. It's more a stylistic and clarity thing than an error, but you should still be more careful about that sort of thing if you're going to be like that.

• BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

your dumb

what about it?

No, it's more that pointing out typos is purely the realm of the Grammar Nazis, and you just lack the intelligence to join that 'club'.

Also, you should have put "your" and "you're" in quotes, since you were referencing the word itself. It's more a stylistic and clarity thing than an error, but you should still be more careful about that sort of thing if you're going to be like that.

There's only one Grammar Nazi around here I take that kind of shit from and he's a lovable bear

Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
    edited February 2008
    Is he a bear or a bear?

edited February 2008
    Is he a bear or a bear?

Kinda one
    Kinda the other

edited February 2008
  • L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

your dumb

what about it?

Sorry, that second sentence was supposed to be referencing my previous sentence, by the way.

edited February 2008

your dumb

what about it?

Sorry, that second sentence was supposed to be referencing my previous sentence, by the way.
    your dumb

edited February 2008
    Yourewinner-38601.jpg

• Bloods EndBloods End Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Oh son of a bitch.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0345455878/

But October is so far away!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Calamity JaneCalamity Jane That Wrong Love Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Man, one of my favorite parts of Crooked Little Vein is when McGill talks to Falconer. Falconer had these little short stories in Warren Ellis' Livejournal, and they were all horrible.

• <3&lt;3 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman right now.

It's pretty good so far.

• Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User
    edited February 2008
    I started Fahrenheit 451 the other day. I'm enjoying it already.

"I heard there was a day when Firemen put out fires."

D:

• langfor6langfor6 Registered User
    edited February 2008
    I'm currently reading The Code Book by Simon Singh.

I'm only about 100 pages in, but I've enjoyed it so far. It's not too math heavy but still seems to cover a wide breadth of topics.

I suppose I should man up and read The Codebreakers by David Kahn some day, but I'm afraid my brain may melt.

• Dublo7Dublo7 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Farenheit 451 is one of those books I keep saying I'll read, but I never get around to it.

I have to read that damn book.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    You really do.

• redheadredhead Registered User
    edited February 2008
    Oh, good, it looks like this thread survived the culling of the megathreads. I'm not sure if that was intentional, but I should hope it was. I think there's a place for a thread like this. Individual books don't have giant bursts in popularity like movies do, so making a thread for each book you're reading wouldn't work too well.

Anyway, I'm currently reading The Cider House Rules by John Irving. It's the first Irving I've read, though I own a short story collection edited by him. I really like this book so far. Irving peppers the story with lots of little coincidences that help shape his characters, and it really seems to fit the style and setting (isolated, small-town orphanage--at least so far) of the book. It's an enjoyable read, not taxing without seeming like fluff, and a good bit lighter than Harold Bloom's Shakespeare: The Invention of the Human, sections of which I'm reading along with Hamlet.

Bloom seems to actually worship Shakespeare--I'm not exaggerating at all when I say that. His argument is that Shakespeare created us, modern humans, through the "largeness" of his characters (to Bloom, this means Hamlet and Falstaff especially), and that Shakespeare is likely the greatest literary mind we'll ever see. It's an extreme position to take, and I haven't read nearly enough of Bloom's book to judge it for myself, but I guess that if there's any author for whom that argument could successfully be made, that author is Shakespeare.

Bloom's book is massive, and I almost certainly won't read all of it (I haven't even read most of the plays he discusses), but I'm enjoying reading his section on Hamlet as I read the play for the first time. His comments are a lot more insightful than what I get out of my high school English class.

• Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Richard Dawkins is a good read! :3

edited February 2008
    Richard Dawkins is a good read! :3
    I love Dawkins. I just finished River out of Eden the other day. I highly recommend it.

I'm currently reading Stalingrad. It's very good.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS
    edited February 2008
    i fucking hate henry james
    reading his work is like trying to swim through a pool full of bricks

• Bloods EndBloods End Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    'Bogey will probably be happy about this.

Caine Black Knife finally has a release date on the 14th of October, from the authors blog it is sounding really, really good.

"So, essentially, I was (and still am) trying to figure out a way to write an entire novel without any Boring Crap -- you know, the linking narration and scene transitions, the background info-dumps, that kind of shit. Now I know some of you actually like the info-dump kind of stuff (I'm looking at you, Ilya!), but personally I can't stand it . . . and it's my story, after all. If I did it right, all pertinent questions will be answered, at least tangentially. I'm just trying to distill the story . . . if Heroes Die was a sixpack of strong beer, and Blade of Tyshalle was a magnum of amarone, then Caine Black Knife will be a gallon of barrel-proof bourbon.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    guys who wants to help me build a time machine and kill jane austen and henry james

edited February 2008
    Kusuguttai wrote: »
    guys who wants to help me build a time machine and kill jane austen and henry james

harlan ellison

edited February 2008
    we can pick up mark twain on the way to killing austen
    who the fuck doesn't want to party with señor clemens

edited February 2008
    fucking jane austen

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
    I HATE JANE AUSTEN I AM GOING TO HATE HER TO DEATH IN THE PAST

edited February 2008
    judging from your past few posts on these forums kusu

I'm sure you're high on meth

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited February 2008
  • BagrationBagration Registered User
    edited February 2008
    When I was 12 I was forced to read through Crime and Punishment. It really put me off from reading anything ever since.

=/

edited February 2008
    Bagration wrote: »
    When I was 12 I was forced to read through Crime and Punishment. It really put me off from reading anything ever since.

=/

Crime and Punishment is a fucking classic and I won't hear a bad word about it.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • BagrationBagration Registered User
    edited February 2008
    And I'm not saying anything bad about it. I actually appreciate it now, now like nine years after I read it.

• Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm going to put Night Watch on hold when I go to the library after school today.
    I keep meaning to, but I never feel like setting up a new PIN now that they switched systems.
    I was also thinking about making a fake thread about Dance of Dragons coming out but I didn't feel like being a dick.

• FaricazyFaricazy Registered User
    edited February 2008
    i'd stab you wiggin

i'd stab you for that

edited February 2008
    Remember when I changed the ASOIAF thread name to "RIP George RR Martin"?
    That was rad. People shat.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Guys, I know it is a hated topic but I want to read it anyway, except when I went to the bookstore they didn't have it and their internet search just kept coming up with some play.

I'm guessing I remembered the title wrong.

It was like, "House of Blue Leaves" or something and it was a horror novel.

http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!

• trentsteeltrentsteel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    13893596.JPG

Also I have been reading a lot of westerns lately for a script I'm writing and I stumbled across this excellent series. It's not really a western per se, more of a frontier story but goddamn, there are tons and tons of great characters and they all die in horrbile, tragic and hilarious ways, sometimes all three at once. Like someone will meet their end and it makes you feel sick but at the same time it's funny and at the same time it makes you want to cry.

Excellent dialogue as well, it's basically about a rich family (The Berrybenders) that decide to go no a massive hunting/painting/exploring trip in the New World on this giant mansion of a river boat. They have cooks, painters, Indian Chiefs, hunters, servants and a stable and damn near everything on this boat. Anyway the wild frontier absolutely has its way with them and I highly recommend it.

http://www.botsnthings.com/
    I made a TD for iphone and windows phone!