As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PC to HDTV output not outputting

RoundBoyRoundBoy Registered User regular
I have a videocard capable of the proper output (Radeon 1950 pro) and a lcd panel (Samsung 4671f)

I plug the tv to the computer via a DVI->9 pin connector.. and I see the picture.. I am able to set the resolution to a proper 1920x1080 .. and the output is centered on the screen like i was outputting a 4:3 source insead of a real 16:9 .. changing the resolution to 1600 by something gives me the full with of the screen, but unproportioned...

my tv is set to 16:9, and 1920x1080 should be 1:1 for each pixel on the tv ... anybody run into something like this ?

sig_civwar.jpg
Librarians harbor a terrible secret. Find it.
RoundBoy on

• Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    9 pin? Like an S-Video cable? That will only give you a 4:3 picture and isn't HD quality.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    I was on svideo,, but since went to the 'normal' monitor input (pre dvi?) i can't remember the name.

it seems that a odd combo of tv power up and computer plugs were the cause... things work peachy now.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    powersurgepowersurge Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Isn't there some reason that DVI-D TV ports can't be used for a lot of pc's? I seem to recall there being some reason a while back when I was tinkering with the idea of getting a mac mini for my 51h83 tv.

powersurge on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you're outputting analog RGB from a 15-pin VGA port, you can normally use a VGA-DVI adapter because DVI includes pins for sending the analog RGB through it.

A DVI-D port, however, doesn't have the backwards-compatible analog pins (and is cheaper to implement because then the TV doesn't need an analog-digital converter for that port) but then can't do anything with a signal coming from a VGA-DVI adapter. It will only be able to accept a digital signal from a computer with a DVI output.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited February 2008
    The tv contains the 15 pin input (as well as component and HDMI) .. I have dvi and svideo output on my computer..

I guess the next step would be to get a dvi/hdmi adaptor... but I can get most things working... its just when the res goes weird.. (like the sign in screen of eve-online) i guess the vert / horz sync is off ?

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Not so fast with the dvi to hdmi. There is a 99.999% chance your TV will not accept a PC signal through HDMI. Check your manual or google online to confirm.

zeeny on
  • Options
    The Reverend Dr GalactusThe Reverend Dr Galactus Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    zeeny wrote: »
    Not so fast with the dvi to hdmi. There is a 99.999% chance your TV will not accept a PC signal through HDMI. Check your manual or google online to confirm.

I think you're off by about 98.999%.

HDMI uses the same protocol as DVI. The only relevant differences are:
    • HDMI also includes digital audio (which doesn't matter as you'll probably be inputting that through a miniplug to RCA cable)
    • HDMI has no pins for analog video (so as I mentioned in a previous post, you can't convert from a VGA output)
    • HDMI has a physically different connector (which is why DVI to HDMI adapters exist).

A lot of people use DVI to HDMI cables for home theatre PCs. I have this very setup myself, and I've set up the TV in the conference room at work the same way.

The Reverend Dr Galactus on
    valar-moreshellus.png
    PSN:RevDrGalactus/NN:RevDrGalactus/Steam
  • Options
    edited February 2008

• HDMI also includes digital audio (which doesn't matter as you'll probably be inputting that through a miniplug to RCA cable)
    • HDMI has no pins for analog video (so as I mentioned in a previous post, you can't convert from a VGA output)
    • HDMI has a physically different connector (which is why DVI to HDMI adapters exist).

A lot of people use DVI to HDMI cables for home theatre PCs. I have this very setup myself, and I've set up the TV in the conference room at work the same way.

Exactly. The problem at this point is that certian screens are sent at an odd resolution, or wants to set an inproper sync value that monitors will accept, but not tv's.

The only one I have found is the login screen for Eve-online. I get the splash screen, but the part where I enter my password makes the tv throw a 'not supported' error. I can close eve-online and get back to a working desktop though.

RoundBoy on
    sig_civwar.jpg
  • Options
    zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    RoundBoy wrote: »

Exactly. The problem at this point is that certian screens are sent at an odd resolution, or wants to set an inproper sync value that monitors will accept, but not tv's.

The only one I have found is the login screen for Eve-online. I get the splash screen, but the part where I enter my password makes the tv throw a 'not supported' error. I can close eve-online and get back to a working desktop though.

The 99.999% was a shocking exaggeration, but it seems that I'm pretty wrong anyway. I have tried my shuttle on 2 32" Samsungs & a 42" JVC and the hdmi rejected input every time(No Signal on the Samsungs, blue screen on the JVC, card is 7900GS 512mb). After a quick google though, you're obviously right as there seem to be a lot of people happy with the quality from their dvi->>hdmi converter cables.

zeeny on
  • Options
    theantipoptheantipop Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    If you're gonna go the DVI->HDMI route, make sure to have your output resolution forced to 1080i/p, whatever your tv and video card support. My radeon 9800 has it somewhere in the options for the display. Just trying to match up output resolution to the tv resolution resulted in no signal.

theantipop on