As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX Hotels are now Live! All prices listed are PER NIGHT

• tr0tskytr0tsky Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    BigRed wrote: »
    Also keep in mind that these prices on the site DONT INCLUDE TAXES!
    Hotel tax in seattle is 18%, so.... $169 quoted rate will end up being around $200 per night with taxes included.

Just as an example, here's mine. Reserved a 2 bed room with 2 people.

$169 per night + 26.36 taxes = $195.36 per night.

tr0tsky on
  • mentok1982mentok1982 I could never leave you PAX baby. BaltimoreRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
  • Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    I wonder how small a block of PAX people they have this year. There were a lot of people at that hotel last year that had nothing to do with PAX.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Samyel wrote: »
    The Sheraton is quoting me $194 a night, which isn't the $169 it claimed. I went ahead and made a booking for one of the huge rooms at the Hyatt ($300 a night... OW!) hoping to be able to get at least three friends to help cover it. I'll probably end up cancelling it for something cheaper, though.

Uh... did you say that there were 4 people staying in the room?

The hotels charge an extra per person fee for more than 2 people staying.

Also keep in mind that these prices on the site DONT INCLUDE TAXES!
    Hotel tax in seattle is 18%, so.... $169 quoted rate will end up being around $200 per night with taxes included.

200$ with taxes is about 250$ I end up with about a 1,000$ bill split by 4 people at the sheraton last year.

Viscountalpha on
  • jonxpjonxp [E] PC Security Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Legacy wrote: »
    jonxp wrote: »
    jonxp wrote: »
    On the hotel page it says that the Penny Arcade group discount is for the Grand Hyatt is "$169 for singles or doubles, $179 for corner suites", however on their site they list the $169 rate, but not the $179 corner suite rate. Rather, they list the Emerald Suite at $269 for the group discount.

Is there a reason for this discrepancy?

They are sold out?

The emerald suite and the corner suite are different.

I remember someone else mentioning that the corner suite was sold out.

Darnit. The hotels fill up fast.

They'll probably open up more rooms soon.

I tried to call and reserve but they said they were booked solid. *sigh*

jonxp on
    Every time you write parallel fifths, Bach kills a kitten.
    3DS Friend Code: 2707-1614-5576
    PAX Prime 2014 Buttoneering!
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    More hotels or rooms will become available.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • langrilangri Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I got a Sheraton room this year. Happy day. :)

langri on
    edited February 2008
    Legacy wrote: »
    More hotels or rooms will become available.

Oh, I got a room, just not the one I wanted. :D

jonxp on
  • GodfatherXGodfatherX Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    we stayed at the Crowne last year, it was decent but seemed heavily over priced for what it is

any suggestions on something around the same distance aka walkable and sub $150 a night?

GodfatherX on
  • BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    GodfatherX wrote: »
    something around the same distance aka walkable and sub $150 a night?

LOL thats funny :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    we stayed at the Crowne last year, it was decent but seemed heavily over priced for what it is

any suggestions on something around the same distance aka walkable and sub $150 a night?

Its just not do-able. You might as well get the hotel rates. Go look around at what full price is. I'm almost certain it is close to the REC rate that the lesser hotels give out (for that area) But with bumbershoot going at the same time, BOOK NOW.

Viscountalpha on
    edited February 2008

thats about the price the Crowne cost us last year, unless there is something else major going on that week i dont see why the rates would be laughably higher

GodfatherX on
    edited February 2008
    unless there is something else major going on that week i dont see why the rates would be laughably higher
    But with bumbershoot going at the same time, BOOK NOW.

That having been said, the Days Inn was only around 100 a night for a single room last year. I think the regular price is around 130 without a pax discount. It's ~8 blocks to the convention center, definitely walkable.

tr0tsky on
    edited February 2008
    Unless you want to stay at the Days Inn or some other low-end hotel, you're not getting any cheaper than $150 per night.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2008
    You know, I was just checking the Sheraton's online booking info, and they have the PAX rooms listed at $219/night.
    sheraton.jpg

edit: note that I entered 4 adults for 2 rooms in the search, so there shouldn't be any rollaway bed charges.

And apparently the Roosevelt is charging $205/night

roosevelt.jpg

Khoo, what are these hotels trying to pull?

EDIT: nevermind, apparently when you enter number of guests, it's PER ROOM, not the total number of people spread across whatever number of rooms you reserve. It would be nice if they specified that.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2008
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »
    edit: note that I entered 4 adults for 2 rooms in the search, so there shouldn't be any rollaway bed charges.

Putting in 4 adults automatically increases the price per night.

edit: I see what you're saying now. The reservation webpage is worded stupidly. I *believe* the # of guests field is per room, not per booking.

tr0tsky on
  • TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Is there anyway to get them to not charge you for the rollaway beds when you have 4 people?

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
    edited February 2008
    TNTrooper wrote: »
    Is there anyway to get them to not charge you for the rollaway beds when you have 4 people?

Yes, you tell them you have 2 people and then make sure all your sleeping bags/etc are put away nicely before housekeeping comes (or alternatively put up the "do not disturb" sign all weekend)

tr0tsky on
    edited February 2008

thats about the price the Crowne cost us last year, unless there is something else major going on that week i dont see why the rates would be laughably higher

Because its downtown seattle...

The hotels in the core are all expensive. The PAX rate on all the hotels is the best you are going to find.

Theres also bumpershoot going on that weekend so... even the cheap hotels will have higher rates.

BigRed on
    edited February 2008
    You know, I was just checking the Sheraton's online booking info, and they have the PAX rooms listed at $219/night.

And apparently the Roosevelt is charging $205/night

Khoo, what are these hotels trying to pull?

EDIT: nevermind, apparently when you enter number of guests, it's PER ROOM, not the total number of people spread across whatever number of rooms you reserve. It would be nice if they specified that.

Moe: this was discussed last year :P theres extra charge for more than 2 people staying in a room...

BigRed on
    edited February 2008
    Moe: this was discussed last year :P theres extra charge for more than 2 people staying in a room...

He booked 2 rooms and put 4 guests (2 people per room). But the "# of guests" field on the reservation form is apparantly "# of guests per room" and not "# of guests per booking". It's stupid wording on the hotel's part.

tr0tsky on
    edited February 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »

He booked 2 rooms and put 4 guests (2 people per room). But the "# of guests" field on the reservation form is apparantly "# of guests per room" and not "# of guests per booking". It's stupid wording on the hotel's part.

Ive always known that # of guests means # of guests per room...

BigRed on
    edited February 2008
    so the crowne is $100 more then we paid last year due to an umbrella festival nice

im sure labor day weekend is a large factor too

GodfatherX on
    edited February 2008
    so the crowne is $100 more then we paid last year due to an umbrella festival nice

im sure labor day weekend is a large factor too

?

The crowne is listed here as 150 per night (http://www.pennyarcadeexpo.com/hotels.php). Were you looking at it without the penny arcade rate?

tr0tsky on
    edited February 2008
    tr0tsky wrote: »
    unless there is something else major going on that week i dont see why the rates would be laughably higher
    But with bumbershoot going at the same time, BOOK NOW.

That having been said, the Days Inn was only around 100 a night for a single room last year. I think the regular price is around 130 without a pax discount. It's ~8 blocks to the convention center, definitely walkable.

The Days Inn is not nearly as nice as the sheraton or the crowne plaza. Also, Booking under the pax rate is important for pax itself. As in the city judges how well a convention is by the hotel rates.

I have to say, Not having to walk very far at the end of the night? Totally worth the extra $$$.

Viscountalpha on
    edited February 2008
    yeah i was looking at the standard rates, totally forgot about the pax rates

between the sheraton, the hyatt, and the roosevelt anyone have a personal recomendation?

i remember walking by the sharaton last year and it looked pretty nice

GodfatherX on
    edited February 2008

between the sheraton, the hyatt, and the roosevelt anyone have a personal recomendation?

I can say I like the Sheraton pool and spa. I can't comment on the Hyatt and the Roosevelt though.

Viscountalpha on
    edited February 2008

I can say I like the Sheraton pool and spa. I can't comment on the Hyatt and the Roosevelt though.

are the rooms themselves a decent size? with 4 people at the crowne last year we were packed in after all of our equipment

GodfatherX on
    edited February 2008
    According to the Sheraton's website, the double bed rooms are 234 sq ft.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

edited February 2008
    According to the Sheraton's website, the double bed rooms are 234 sq ft.

Too bad we live in the THIRD DIMENSION.

How big is in CUBIC feet, and how much of that space isn't filled with furniture? We need to know how many bags of ball pit balls to bring.

jonxp on
    edited February 2008

are the rooms themselves a decent size? with 4 people at the crowne last year we were packed in after all of our equipment

5 people is pushing it. I've heard from fyrewulff that the floor is quite comfortable.

Viscountalpha on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am looking into booking a room at the Sheraton but the price for a room with 2 double beds is much cheaper if you book for 2 adults as opposed to 4. Is there any logical reason why the rate is 50$ more expensive per night for 4 people? Are they giving you a bigger/different room or are they just being cheap?

And what happens if you book for 2 but have 4 staying with you in the room?

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
    edited February 2008
    They're just being cheap, I think...if you book for 2 people and have 4 in the room...you'll probably be fine.

Just make sure if you have people sleeping on the floor that they clean up their sleeping bags, etc, before housekeeping comes in. Don't make a huge "4-person" mess and they won't care.

Alternatively, you could probably leave the "do not disturb" sign up all weekend.

tr0tsky on
  • SumiSumi Abbotsford, BCRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I found the answer in another thread.

http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=40791&page=5

They are right, the hotel is adding the price of the rollaways to the reservation. The price I got was 219 before taxes.

219 - (25 x 2) = 169 (Pax rate)

I will just make the reservation for 2 then.

This can be locked now... or moved i suppose :)

Sumi on
    Standard Action, it's a webseries.
  • SamyelSamyel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I stayed at the Roosevelt last year, and it was totally functional and decent. I'm going to try something different this year, however. I heard the Hyatt was great.

At this point, I've booked into two places, but I'm really hoping the Hyatt opens up more room so that I can downgrade into a double room and cancel the other reservation. I don't know how many people I'm coming down yet, or how tight money will be.

Samyel on
    "It is inhumane, in my opinion, to force people who have a genuine medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently view it as some kind of recreational activity."
  • HaikufrenzyHaikufrenzy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Quick pointless question, but did the Sharaton have a swimming pool?

Haikufrenzy on
    RazorbackKing.png
    edited March 2008

Yup

BigRed on
    edited March 2008

The crazy thing about the sheraton pool is that is near the top. Which seems odd given if there was an earthquake or something. I guess it would all seep downwards.. hmm. Still seemed strange.

Viscountalpha on
  • VThornheartVThornheart Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Whoa, that is wierd. I guess I've never stayed at a snazzy enough pool, I've never seen one that's not in a gated area on the outside of the hotel (if said hotel even has one). I guess you don't get that luxury when you have a hotel in the middle of an urban area. =)

VThornheart on
    3DS Friend Code: 1950-8938-9095
    edited March 2008
    Whoa, that is wierd. I guess I've never stayed at a snazzy enough pool, I've never seen one that's not in a gated area on the outside of the hotel (if said hotel even has one). I guess you don't get that luxury when you have a hotel in the middle of an urban area. =)

The view is pretty fantastic I have to say.

Viscountalpha on
This discussion has been closed.