As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If you spoil [Iron Man], Elki will probably make out with you

Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplaceShe crawled right inRegistered User regular
edited October 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
appears to have been released. 2 minutes and 30 seconds. I found it on good ol' RT. Here is a link, it's Trailer #2, the one at the top.

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/iron_man/trailers.php

For those who haven't seen anything about this movie, it's starring Robert Downey Jr. as Tony Stark, an alcoholic billionaire playboy. More specifically, it would appear that he is an arms manufacturer in this movie. Gwyneth Paltrow appears as his secretary/girlfriend Virginia Potts.

Ironmanfilmflight.jpg

So yeah, this movie looks like it'll be a good action flick. However, the dialog in the trailer was a bit on the cheesy side, which worries me a bit. However, I counted at least two scenes where Tony was imbibing so we know they've got the character of Tony Stark downpat.

Who's excited for this movie, and what do you lot think about it?

Clint Eastwood on

• HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Jon Favreau has quickly become one of my favorite directors. I have high hopes for this movie.

Hacksaw on
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like the looks of it. Certainly better than any Fantastic 4 movie.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Jon Favreau has quickly become one of my favorite directors. I have high hopes for this movie.

Seriously? I mean, I like him too, loved him since Swingers, but what has he directed that's been like super great? Elf was fun, but then he did Zarthura which is just Jumanji in space, and that's about it. He did 'Made' which was just a Swingers rehash, still totally fun, but a rehash nonetheless.

P.S. This looks great, Robert Downey Jr. is a superb choice. It's been a while since we've had an actor with charisma play a superhero. I'm looking at you, Christian Bale.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    whitey9 wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »

Seriously? I mean, I like him too, loved him since Swingers, but what has he directed that's been like super great? Elf was fun, but then he did Zarthura which is just Jumanji in space, and that's about it. He did 'Made' which was just a Swingers rehash, still totally fun, but a rehash nonetheless
    Elf turned out to be a lot better than I thought it would be, and iZathura was fucking awesome.

Of course, I love Retro Sci-Fi to a fault, so that's probably part of it.

Hacksaw on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2008
    That was a great trailer.

"Seriously, this is NOT the worst thing you have caught me doing."

GOLD

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • techacolyte42techacolyte42 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Currently, Daredevil is my favorite super hero movie, but I'm thinking Ironman is going to beat that - it looks awesome.
    I can't wait for it to come out.
    He flies and blows stuff up :P

techacolyte42 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Peace on Earth and Flamethrowers for all mankind!!!!
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited February 2008
    Daredevil?

Really?

Really?

Don't get me wrong, I love the character... I just thought the movie was kind of weak.

Batman Begins, on the other hand...

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just watched the Big Lebowski (by coincidence) before I watched this...
    Man.. what a difference a haircut makes.

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    This is just fantastic, I now officially cant wait.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]
  • FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury.

Really, that's all I needed to know.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I like that Tony basically has a drink in his hand whenever he's not in the suit.

Fencingsax on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    I thought this was going to be terrible when hearing about it, but the first trailer was gold. All I'm vaguely worried about now is the support actors' ability to not make Robert Downey Jr look like a fish out of water.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    I thought this was going to be terrible when hearing about it, but the first trailer was gold. All I'm vaguely worried about now is the support actors' ability to not make Robert Downey Jr look like a fish out of water.
    Gwyneth, Terrence, Jeff, and Samuel know what they're doing, I think.

Fencingsax on
  • NewresNewres Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Both trailers were pure awesome... I can not wait till the movie.

Newres on
    960751-1.png
  • NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Newres wrote: »

My thoughts exactly.

Narian on
    Narian.gif
  • Rhan9Rhan9 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Narian wrote: »
    Newres wrote: »

My thoughts exactly.

Ditto

Rhan9 on
  • electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am suddenly highly enthused for this movie. The first trailer was "hmm..." but now I'm more "Hmmm <eyebrow>"

electricitylikesme on
  • TubeTube Registered User admin
    edited February 2008
    The Cat wrote: »

More like a fish out of rehab!

Lol!

Tube on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    heh, its funny because its true.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Heh. I just said at the theater the other day that they'd have to get RDJ to play Tony.

Now I MUST see this.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Currently, Daredevil is my favorite super hero movie, but I'm thinking Ironman is going to beat that - it looks awesome.

I hope you're talking about the Director's Cut, as that's the only watchable version of the film, and all in all was pretty good. But for me it wouldn't rank even in my top 3 superhero movies. The theatrical version just gave me a migrane.

As for Iron Man, I was sold on the first trailer. But after watching the 2nd and learning that Sam Jackson is Nick Fury (certainly not who I was expecting) this is easily a first day viewer for me. Here's hoping there's a midnight showing in my area come May.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

I hope you're talking about the Director's Cut, as that's the only watchable version of the film, and all in all was pretty good. But for me it wouldn't rank even in my top 3 superhero movies. The theatrical version just gave me a migrane.

As for Iron Man, I was sold on the first trailer. But after watching the 2nd and learning that Sam Jackson is Nick Fury (certainly not who I was expecting) this is easily a first day viewer for me. Here's hoping there's a midnight showing in my area come May.

I'd say Sam as Nick is pretty expectable. They obviously modeled Nick Fury after Samuel L. in the Ultimate marvel line, and it's not like Sam wouldn't dig it.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • LondonBridgeLondonBridge __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    I'm not a fan of the Iron Man comic but this trailer has sold me!

LondonBridge on
  • Operative21Operative21 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Personally I absolutely love the what they've done effects wise for the armour. It looks fantastic, the airbrakes were an especially nice touch.

Operative21 on
  • JenosavelJenosavel Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    "There's been some speculation that I've been parading around as a superhero. Well, I'm just not the hero type, clearly."

Hehe. The trailers for this just keep getting better. I can't wait for it to come out.

Jenosavel on
  • MasterXellMasterXell Registered User new member
    edited February 2008
    I myself am personally very excited for this movie. I've been a fan of Iron Man for many year's, and I believe that Favreu can pull off a good job at Directing this film. Robert Downy Jr is the perfect cast for Stark seeing as his past pretty much mimics what Stark did in his.

Besides Batman, Spiderman, X-Men, and Superman (For those like me who did enjoy the film), this might rank up there as being a great Movie, and I personally hope it does. I'm also very excited for the video game, it can be horrible, but I will still buy it, just to play as Iron Man.

MasterXell on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    Who's excited for this movie, and what do you lot think about it?

Looks like a fun action movie. I have no real previous experience reading Iron Man outside of a few Civil War comics and the Avengers movies, so it'll pretty much be a fresh experience to me. I'm hoping it's not too serious, and the cheesy dialogue so far looks good to me.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited February 2008
    It's been a while since we've had an actor with charisma play a superhero. I'm looking at you, Christian Bale.

Hey. Hey! Fuck you.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • OctoparrotOctoparrot Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    It looks like RDjr is just playing himself-

Not that it's a bad thing, A Scanner Darkly was great for that reason.

Octoparrot on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    It's been a while since we've had an actor with charisma play a superhero. I'm looking at you, Christian Bale.

Hey. Hey! Fuck you.

Did...did he just say that Christian Bale wasn't charismatic? Let's take that fuckers legs.

DarkWarrior on
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008

Hey. Hey! Fuck you.

Did...did he just say that Christian Bale wasn't charismatic? Let's take that fuckers legs.

Well compared to Robert Downey Jr, its a fair thing to say. It also works for Batman, I mean Bruce is supposed to be an awkward millionare not rico suave.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited February 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

Hey. Hey! Fuck you.

Well compared to Robert Downey Jr, its a fair thing to say. It also works for Batman, I mean Bruce is supposed to be an awkward millionare not rico suave.

Seriously. Look at the scene where he's out with the two women at the restaurant, or acting drunk to get people out of his party. He's not charismatic because Batman's a fucking single-minded psychopath that watched his parents killed in front of him. Bale played the role perfectly.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

Hey. Hey! Fuck you.

Seriously. Look at the scene where he's out with the two women at the restaurant, or acting drunk to get people out of his party. He's not charismatic because Batman's a fucking single-minded psychopath that watched his parents killed in front of him. Bale played the role perfectly.

I think the better word would be that he has a presence.

DarkWarrior on
  • Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I really don't know about this.
    I want to like it, but something seems...off. Alittle forced?
    And the suit just doesn't seem as natural as it should, if that makes sense.
    I dunno, we'll see. The game looks to be fun, atleast. I just don't want another "THE HULK".

Local H Jay on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Derrick wrote: »

I'd say Sam as Nick is pretty expectable. They obviously modeled Nick Fury after Samuel L. in the Ultimate marvel line, and it's not like Sam wouldn't dig it.

I'll give you that and raise you the scene in the Ultimates where they were all talking about who would play them in a movie. Tony Stark picked Robert Downey, Jr.!

I think RDJr is my main selling point on this film. I have a love for comic book movies, but more often then not they are pretty bad. RDJr is the perfect Tony Stark and I think that puts this one over the tipping point to "Must See". The trailers are a mixed bag, though.

Tomanta on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    "Sam, listen, we'd like you to play a handsome, likeable army officer/spy. Oh, also, it'd be a plus if you could somehow come off as a badass."

I'm looking forward to the movie. They seem to be keeping to mostly the cannon from the different Marvel universes and the list of actors is encouraging so hopefully there'll be interesting bits besides Iron Man blowing things up.

Quid on
  • TachTach Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Having just watched Kiss Kiss Bang Bang AND Snakes on a Plane- I once again announce how fucking jazzed I am for Iron Man.

I mean, opening night jazzed.

Tach on
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I am SO freaking psyched for this movie, have been since it's announcement. Iron Man was another of my fav Marvel heroes, so I was really expecting quite a bit out of this, and they haven't let me down from the Trailers so far. Hell Iron Monger Vs Iron Man will be worth it alone! Downey as we all know fits the character perfectly, this could easily be a franchise if it does well. Probably the next best to Spidey, although I did enjoy Daredevil and the FF despite their flaws. Only one that fell flat for me was the Punisher. Hell I even liked The Hulk, but the remake is hopefully more amped up.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • SnarfmasterSnarfmaster Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Looks awesome! Just needs a little more of the iron man song instead of just the snippet at the end. Although I suppose I'm biased, since I'd go to a movie that was nothing but things blowing up with that song in the background.

Snarfmaster on
  • Mr BubblesMr Bubbles David Koresh Superstar Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Well, now I'm psyched for two superhero movies this summer.

I hope you're happy

Mr Bubbles on