As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

If you spoil [Iron Man], Elki will probably make out with you

• DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    You liked the Hulk?

Jesus man. That's not right. That's... just not right.

Derrick on
    Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The effects are looking sweet, the suits are all looking sweet, and there is a sufficient amount of liquor. Hopefully this will negate the silly dialog and probably retarded story.

Clint Eastwood on
  • trevelliantrevellian Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I was horrified when I heard RDJ was cast as Tony Stark - he just didn't fit the picture in my head.

Now I have seen the trailers though, I recant it all.

Suave, drunken bastard that he is. :P

trevellian on
    McGough_EA.png
  • PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Cloudman wrote: »
    The effects are looking sweet, the suits are all looking sweet, and there is a sufficient amount of liquor. Hopefully this will negate the silly dialog and probably retarded story.

As opposed to the pulitzer like writing in normal comic books.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I can't imagine anyone but Downey playing Stark now.

In the same way that anyone but Bale as Batman is just wrong.

The_Scarab on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mr Bubbles wrote: »
    Well, now I'm psyched for two superhero movies this summer.

I hope you're happy

Incredible Hulk's out this summer too.

Furu on
  • Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Preacher wrote: »

I don't really read comics so I wouldn't know, but just because a movie is based on a comic doesn't mean the writing has to be cheesetastic. For example, Spider-Man 2, which was pretty much universally acclaimed by critics as being a really great movie, not just a really great comic book movie. It had great writing.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited February 2008
    Well you have to realize cloud, people who read comics go to see the movies for the cheesy lines. Honestly comic book movies are supposed to be stylisticly engaging but ultimately shallow. It fits with their source material.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
    edited February 2008
    Yeah I guess that makes sense, I never really thought of it that way.

One comic book movie I could really get behind would be a Dr. McNinja movie. I can dream.

Clint Eastwood on
    edited February 2008
    Yeah I guess that makes sense, I never really thought of it that way.

One comic book movie I could really get behind would be a Dr. McNinja movie. I can dream.

Its ok I was the same way with comic book movies until I remembered that while I enjoyed comics, the writing was not exactly high quality.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • MasumeMasume Creator Caprica, FloridaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Derrick wrote: »
    You liked the Hulk?

Jesus man. That's not right. That's... just not right.

Yeah, yeah...I know. I liked the angst, because well...it's the hulk. The effects were great, actors were good, just a bit too long and drawn out with not enough Hulkamania trashing the military.

Masume on
    3DS Code - 5370-0463-9307
    Wii U - 'Nocero'
    XBox ID - therealmasume
    PS4 ID - realmasume
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I also like Ang Lee's Hulk. It had a lot of stupid stuff in it, and it was far too long for its own good, but I definitely think it's better than Daredevil or Spider-Man 3.
    The new one should truly be incredible, though. Edward Norton <3

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »
    I also like Ang Lee's Hulk. It had a lot of stupid stuff in it, and it was far too long for its own good, but I definitely think it's better than Daredevil or Spider-Man 3.

Yeah...I've watched all 3 of them and even Spider-Man 3, lame as it was, was passable. Hulk was just abysmal in every possible sense. Bad CGI, bad/boring script and just terribly not good.

DarkWarrior on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well you have to realize cloud, people who read comics go to see the movies for the cheesy lines. Honestly comic book movies are supposed to be stylisticly engaging but ultimately shallow. It fits with their source material.

Nah, that's just the way they make them. If you actually take the material seriously, you can make some great stuff (see Batman Begins).

shryke on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cherrn wrote: »

So is the shit I left in the toilet this morning. That's hardly high praise.

shryke on
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I actually saw the trailer now and am certainly excited. It looks like they actually cared whether the character was worthwhile when he wasn't covered in CG. Good for them.

Quid on
  • Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I don't really read comics so I wouldn't know, but just because a movie is based on a comic doesn't mean the writing has to be cheesetastic. For example, Spider-Man 2, which was pretty much universally acclaimed by critics as being a really great movie, not just a really great comic book movie. It had great writing.
    Dude.

Are you telling me that the writing in Spider-man 2 wasn't cheesy?

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Dude.

Oh hell yeah it was. But it was pretty highly regarded by a lot of critics, and it had the occasional little gem like this:
    Everybody loves a hero. People line up for them, cheer them, scream their names. And years later, they'll tell how they stood in the rain for hours just to get a glimpse of the one who taught them how to hold on a second longer. I believe there's a hero in all of us, that keeps us honest, gives us strength, makes us noble, and finally allows us to die with pride, even though sometimes we have to be steady, and give up the thing we want the most. Even our dreams.

I may have gotten slightly misty-eyed while she was delivering that speech. So it is possible for a comic book movie to mix cheesiness and sincerity.

Grey Ghost on
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I was not aware Iron Man was an evil engineer. I'll see this movie now.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
    edited March 2008

Dude.

There were cheesy moments, but nothing quite as cheesetastic as "This isn't the worst thing you've seen me doing lol!"

Clint Eastwood on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ang Lee's Hulk was really good, except for the cheesy explosion ending. Dialog was good, acting was all great, and the comic book framing was sweet as hell, and I wish they'd do it for more movies.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ang Lee's Hulk was really good, except for the cheesy explosion ending. Dialog was good, acting was all great, and the comic book framing was sweet as hell, and I wish they'd do it for more movies.
    Nick Nolte stole the show from everyone else, though.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I'm just sayin'.

Hacksaw on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The only line that struck me as cheesy was the "This is not the worst thing you've caught me doing" one. Everything else was just your average popcorn action flix variety.

I'm excited for this. Normally I'd rather they keep the Stark scenes to a minimum and focus more on the actual Iron Man, since Hollywood is mask-a-phobic and all, but Downey is frigging awesome in this. If the plot and script end up sucking ass, he'll still carry it. This movie cannot suck ass.

Oh, and am I the only one who laughed out loud at that ending scene with the tiny rocket? Amazing.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Nick Nolte stole the show from everyone else, though.

Not that I'm complaining, mind you, I'm just sayin'.
    The framing was an interesting idea but ended up being annoying as Hell in my opinion.

Quid on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008

Dude.

There were cheesy moments, but nothing quite as cheesetastic as "This isn't the worst thing you've seen me doing lol!"

That line didn't seem very cheesy to me. No, "I can explain it!" would be cheesy. That was Tony Stark being a fleshed out character.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    So, Cuba Gooding Jr. as War Machine?

Edit: Nevermind, rewatching the trailer says it's not Cuba.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • devoirdevoir Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Terrence Howard.

I noticed that one comic website made the mistake of saying that the bigger suit that he fights in the trailer is War Machine. Oh ho.

devoir on
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The hulk movie was so incredibly bad

fucking hulk dogs and the end was just so ...oh god I don't even want to think about the god damn movie

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Zzulu wrote: »
    The hulk movie was so incredibly bad

fucking hulk dogs and the end was just so ...oh god I don't even want to think about the god damn movie

I don't see anything wrong with the hulk dogs. And yeah, the ending was sucky, but mercifully brief.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They had a hulk poodle

a hulk poodle

a gamma irradiated hulk poodle

A

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, Cuba Gooding Jr. as War Machine?

Edit: Nevermind, rewatching the trailer says it's not Cuba.

I see how it is: all black people look alike when they're inside a powered suit of weaponized armor, right?

KalTorak on
  • ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I honestly don't know why people didn't like Daredevil. Maybe they're super DD comic book fans and the movie fucked with stuff I didn't notice? I enjoyed it.

Hulk gave me a headache though. His dad was the supervillain? Bleh.

Scooter on
    edited March 2008
    I enjoyed Daredevil. Didn't like the Bullseye at all though, and it wasn't the costume. Not mostly, at least.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, Daredevil was a pretty decent movie. Then again, I've read, like, two Daredevil comics so yeah, maybe they fucked with things that I didn't notice.

reVerse on
    edited March 2008
    I guess it was a little smushed together and rushed. Shoulda had the Electra/Bullseye thing in a second movie.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Also should have had Matt Damon play Daredevil.

Grey Ghost on
    edited March 2008
    And anyone with talent playing Electra.

Derrick on
  • reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Hey. Hey now. Hey.

No.

reVerse on
    edited March 2008
    reVerse wrote: »

Hey. Hey now. Hey.

No.

Are you trying to tell me those fight sequences were at all believable?

They were not even close.

Derrick on
  • deowolfdeowolf is allowed to do that. Traffic.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Daredevil was a solid 'C'. Coulda been better, but I don't feel raped after seeing it.

deowolf on
    [SIGPIC]acocoSig.jpg[/SIGPIC]