As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

SSBB VC demos reveal future VC feature/fix?

CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
I loaded up SSBB JPN import and checked out the free Virtual Console game demos (VERY short time limit). One thing I immediately noticed is that the 4:3 aspect ratio games remained 4:3 aspect on my 16:9 display without me having to manually adjust using my television's aspect controls. This means that the emulators included on the SSBB disc solve my primary annoyance with the Wii VC by adding pillarboxes (vertical letterboxing).

Will we be getting this functionality on our actual VC games soon? If so, it'll probably require a rash of VC download updates due to the way the VC works: The Wii doesn't run the VC games through a shared emulator. Each VC title includes its own customized emulator, even for the same platform. You can test this by comparing older N64 games to the newer ones... instead of a black screen when returning from the home menu, you get a spinning "N" logo. Also, that's why game/emulator fixes require you to redownload the games.

The Star Fox 64 demo has some very flawed graphics and colors (moreso than the updated official US VC download), especially during the intro. Look at the color banding on the lens flare compared to the US VC version! Actually, I not 100% positive that the original JPN version didn't have the same problem, so I'll dig that up and try it on my real N64 soon.

BTW, SSBB has aspect controls independant of the Wii settings, though it reads your selection in the Wii settings to determine it's own default. I guess they just wanted to give you an over-ride option for some reason.

CZroe on

• SilentCoconutSilentCoconut Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    CZroe wrote: »
    You can test this by comparing older N64 games to the newer ones... instead of a black screen when returning from the home menu, you get a spinning "N" logo. Also, that's why game/emulator fixes require you to redownload the games.

It probably isn't important, but you're wrong on these two points. Kirby 64 still has the black screen on the home menu, and the Military Madness fix a while back didn't require you to redownload the game. It'd be great if this functionality was added, but I don't think the VC demos in Brawl are an indication that it's coming.

SilentCoconut on
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    CZroe wrote: »
    You can test this by comparing older N64 games to the newer ones... instead of a black screen when returning from the home menu, you get a spinning "N" logo. Also, that's why game/emulator fixes require you to redownload the games.

It probably isn't important, but you're wrong on these two points. Kirby 64 still has the black screen on the home menu, and the Military Madness fix a while back didn't require you to redownload the game. It'd be great if this functionality was added, but I don't think the VC demos in Brawl are an indication that it's coming.

It actually has more to do with the ROM size and save type causing extended delays that require it (so you don't reset thinking it locked up), but the older VC titles did it no matter what. Each download DOES include the emulator. Nintendo has been known to hack a ROM or two for compatibilty also, such as Urban Champion on eReader (different than known mappers of UC). Many of the VC titles are from earlier hacks (check out the 2003 copyright date on Zelda). Some came from Animal Crossing or their eReader version, and the classic NES series had game-specific emulation customizations too (such as high-score saving).

Redownloading Military Madness is EXACTLY how you updated it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUYKWWfMgE4

Just TRY "updating" without enough blocks free for the entire duplicate VC title... you can't!

CZroe on
  • agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't see why this is a such a big deal. You just have to turn off your screen stretch option on the TV and you've got 4:3 games without losing resolution.

agoaj on
    ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You don't lose resolution. 16:9 480p != 640x480 with non-square pixels. Also, SNES & NES games != 640x480. The N64 games are emulated with the added resolution though (most 64 games were originally 320x240). Also, until the last three years, only the most expensive sets would allow aspect control at 480p (most would lock the aspect to wide). It's why I had to return my $800 Samsung and buy a $2,400 Sony XBR910 in 2003... both were THIRTY INCH CRT HDTVs.

CZroe on