As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Lego Halo

13»

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Diakitana is better than half-life?

?

?

LewieP on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    I enjoyed Halo 3 immensely, I rated it high and still play it. But to pretend it is the best game ever is madness.

Madness?

This. IS. HALLLOOOOOOOOO!!!

/oblig

Anyway, I find it weird that people keep saying that liking or hating Halo is purely subjective but in the same posts definitively state that "Halo is better than Half-Life" and "Half-Life is better than Halo". If it's subjective, then it's subjective, just discuss the points you felt made it better or worse.

subedii on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sanders wrote: »
    1) yes, it is Rainbow Six. You win points for getting that right.
    2) I never said Halo was the best game ever. I was pointing out that a lot of the needless bashing for the game is considered acceptable here but if it was any other game you would get laughed at and ridiculed. No, Halo is not the best game ever and yes, it has its faults. Half-life 2 is better single player IMO, though I do perfer Halo 3 thanks to online co-op. Doesn't excuse that the game is bashed at any chance it can when it really shouldn't be, such as in this thread.

There is one constant truth in the penny arcade forums. there is no game which is exempt from getting shit on if people dont like it. period.

halo is no different from any other. people wouldnt be infracted if they disliked a different game and it gets no preferential treatment.

people wouldnt laugh at you if you disliked a different game. people will laugh at you if you cant justify your opinion however.

this isnt gaf. dont paint us with the same brush. we have standards.

The_Scarab on
    edited March 2008
    There is one constant truth in the penny arcade forums. there is no game which is exempt from getting shit on if people dont like it. period.

Earthbound?

LewieP on
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »

Earthbound?

Man I hated that frigging game.
    I have not played that frigging game

In any case, we've had people here who didn't even like Portal. Who cares? Doesn't really make them right or wrong, entertainment is always going to be subjective.

subedii on
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Earthbound?

I dunno. I think half the time when people defend it blindly it is jest or almost sarcastic and mocking.

It's like a meme of the pa forums. something is either the best thing ever or the most inhumane abomination to grace the earth. There is no middle ground here.

The_Scarab on
    edited March 2008

Earthbound?

I dunno. I think half the time when people defend it blindly it is jest or almost sarcastic and mocking.

It's like a meme of the pa forums. something is either the best thing ever or the most inhumane abomination to grace the earth. There is no middle ground here.

I mildly agree with this sentiment.

Marmite is OK.

The glass is at 50% capacity.

LewieP on
    edited March 2008

Earthbound?

Yeah but it's like that at every forum. The only reason I stick with this place is that people tend to be more aware of sarcasm and aren't usually in "pro / con" groups just for the sake of it with no possibility of discussing the reasons why.

I mean, I wouldn't want to end up at the gametrailers forums or anything. *shudder*

subedii on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Leitner wrote: »
    And people dont trip over themselves to talk about how much they hate halo half as much as the people tripping over themselves to fellate what is a good but not great game.

I really can't remember the last time someone talked about how amazing Halo is. Let alone more so then the number of people who talk shit about it. Also Halo is far better then Half Life, but then again Dakitana is better and was probably less overhyped.

If you're trying to be funny, it's sort of working.

august on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    are we comparing console fps to pc fps again

because I'm sick of fps in general

they come out about once every two weeks on the 360

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited March 2008

And you are literally forced to purchase them.

LewieP on
  • Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

if nothing else is coming out, yes

seriously though, if sports titles came out twice a month for 3 goddamn years you'd all be bitching about how there's too many sports games

there's only so many times I can look at a hand shooting a gun

and it's all basically been the same shit since doom, portal excepted

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited March 2008
    Man, they just keep making third person platform titles. What's up with that? I mean, it's basically been the same thing since Mario 64.

sienfeld.jpg

august on
    edited March 2008
    august wrote: »
    Man, they just keep making third person platform titles. What's up with that? I mean, it's basically been the same thing since Mario 64.

sienfeld.jpg

I would venture to say that the differences between a Mario game and a Prince Of Persia game are a lot more substantial than the differences between, say, Halo and Half-Life.

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
    edited March 2008

if nothing else is coming out, yes

Might I suggest you broaden your horizons a little?

Seriously, there's always a tonne of stuff out there, you don't have to play FPS's if you don't want to. Right now I'm playing through the Witcher, Company of Heroes, and Sins of a Solar Empire. I had my fill of good FPS's over the last few months, and now I'm on to this stuff.

subedii on
    edited March 2008
    not that I'm saying all FPS are terrible or even exactly the same

when they're done well, they're fine, Halo 3, Half-Life 2, COD4, etc etc

but then you have Timeshift and Turok and Turning Point and Frontlines and Medal Of Honor Airborne and Soldier Of Fortune Payback and Hour Of Victory and America's Army and The Darkness and so on and so forth and I just wonder how you don't get tired of this shit

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't mind so much that it's Halo, but that it's a game that doesn't really need the LEGO adaptation. I would be just as upset if they did LEGO Team Fortress 2. I don't think they need to just run games through the LEGO filter. Adapt movies or comics or something. LEGO Halo just seems so lazy to me.

Prediction: They will never make a LEGO game based on another video game.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
    edited March 2008

but then you have Timeshift and Turok and Turning Point and Frontlines and Medal Of Honor Airborne and Soldier Of Fortune Payback and Hour Of Victory and America's Army and The Darkness and so on and so forth and I just wonder how you don't get tired of this shit

Uh. Who cares about the mediocre games in any genre? I don't.

Turok being released dosen't effect me in the slightest.

august on
    edited March 2008

Uh. Who cares about the mediocre games in any genre? I don't.

Turok being released dosen't effect me in the slightest.

I guess I'd prefer to see other things being done in the market more often, is all.

Every company these days is trying to catch a little of that halo/cod magic and it's tiresome

Kuribo's Shoe on
    xmassig2.gif
  • scootchscootch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Joseph Turok is sad.

scootch on
    TF2 stats
    PSN: super_emu
    Xbox360 Gamertag: Emuchop
  • HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Halo series are fun games but I really think the reason the first one was huge was the LAN play. I say this because, as someone who had been playing games online for years, it didn't impress me. I had fun with it but there wasn't anything that I really considered special about it. The whole LAN thing was something I'd already been doing on the PC only we got to play five or six games instead of one.

Hearing about how awesome it was got to me though. For awhile it didn't bother me but after listening to people go on and on about how much fun LAN play was with Halo I got pretty tired of hearing it and actually started to hate the game. Then one day I realized that it wasn't the games fault. The game itself was actually pretty fun, especially co-op. I didn't hate the game. I hated the people who were convinced this was the best thing ever invented and who would incessantly try and get me to play a game that I had already played through and that held little interest to me based upon the reasoning that Halo multiplayer was this awesome new thing when it wasn't. It was something that I'd been enjoying since Tribes, or going back even further since Duke Nukem 3D.

Halo brought widespread FPS multiplayer to consoles. I got and respected that. But as someone who had been doing that online and at LAN parties for years hearing about it got really fucking old. Then Halo 2 came out and it was same thing all over again because now you didn't even need to do a LAN, you could just do it over the internet. Enter months of "So seriously man, I know you beat the game when you rented it but you should get a Live subcription and pick the game up!" Ugh, like I said, it got old.

I suspect I'm not the only one this was the case for.

HappylilElf on
  • shrykeshryke Member of the Beast Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

sienfeld.jpg

I would venture to say that the differences between a Mario game and a Prince Of Persia game are a lot more substantial than the differences between, say, Halo and Half-Life.

No, it's really about the same. Halo and Half-Life both play completely differently. Just like Mario and PoP.

shryke on
    edited March 2008
    The Halo series are fun games but I really think the reason the first one was huge was the LAN play. I say this because, as someone who had been playing games online for years, it didn't impress me. I had fun with it but there wasn't anything that I really considered special about it. The whole LAN thing was something I'd already been doing on the PC only we got to play five or six games instead of one.

Hearing about how awesome it was got to me though. For awhile it didn't bother me but after listening to people go on and on about how much fun LAN play was with Halo I got pretty tired of hearing it and actually started to hate the game. Then one day I realized that it wasn't the games fault. The game itself was actually pretty fun, especially co-op. I didn't hate the game. I hated the people who were convinced this was the best thing ever invented and who would incessantly try and get me to play a game that I had already played through and that held little interest to me based upon the reasoning that Halo multiplayer was this awesome new thing when it wasn't. It was something that I'd been enjoying since Tribes, or going back even further since Duke Nukem 3D.

Halo brought widespread FPS multiplayer to consoles. I got and respected that. But as someone who had been doing that online and at LAN parties for years hearing about it got really fucking old. Then Halo 2 came out and it was same thing all over again because now you didn't even need to do a LAN, you could just do it over the internet. Enter months of "So seriously man, I know you beat the game when you rented it but you should get a Live subcription and pick the game up!" Ugh, like I said, it got old.

I suspect I'm not the only one this was the case for.

Halo was a better LAN experience, cause all you needed for a good match was 2 XBoxes and a pair of TVs. No hauling everyones gaming rigs to one house and all that. Much easier on everyone.

shryke on
  • Spanky The DolphinSpanky The Dolphin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    whitey9 wrote: »
    I don't mind so much that it's Halo, but that it's a game that doesn't really need the LEGO adaptation. I would be just as upset if they did LEGO Team Fortress 2. I don't think they need to just run games through the LEGO filter. Adapt movies or comics or something. LEGO Halo just seems so lazy to me.

LEGO Blade Runner?

Spanky The Dolphin on
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    shryke wrote: »
    Halo was a better LAN experience, cause all you needed for a good match was 2 XBoxes and a pair of TVs. No hauling everyones gaming rigs to one house and all that. Much easier on everyone.

Wait, what? That is wrong and you are wrong.

Instead of hauling a tower and a monitor you now have to haul an Xbox (which is probably half the size of a tower) and a TV (which could be twice the size of your monitor). And then instead of having a backpack with a keyboard and mouse stuffed in it, you've got a backpack with controllers and AV/AC cables. Other than that the only difference is speakers/headphones.

To say that an Xbox LAN party is considerably easier than a PC LAN party is pretty crazy. They both entail roughly the same amount of work to get set up.

Einhander on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Einhander wrote: »

Instead of hauling a tower and a monitor you now have to haul an Xbox (which is probably half the size of a tower) and a TV (which could be twice the size of your monitor). And then instead of having a backpack with a keyboard and mouse stuffed in it, you've got a backpack with controllers and AV/AC cables. Other than that the only difference is speakers/headphones.

To say that an Xbox LAN party is considerably easier than a PC LAN party is pretty crazy. They both entail roughly the same amount of work to get set up.

One detail you're forgetting is that one person gets to do the hauling for 4 people (4 people per XBOX). If you wanted to have a 16 player LAN, you wouldn't need 16 people that had 16 computers and 16 copies of the game. Just 4 people with XBOXs/TVs, and 12 people that you just pulled off the street because they bought you beer.

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
    edited March 2008
    Uh... but four people can play on a single X-box/TV.

august on
    edited March 2008

Yeah, except you only need 1 Xbox and 4 controllers per 4 people.

As for TVs, at most you need to haul 1 for every 4 people above an initial 4. And that's assuming where ever your going only has 1 TV.

For a LAN party, every person needs a tower, monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers.

shryke on
  • HallowedFaithHallowedFaith Call me Cloud. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    WRONG!
    I haul my big ass 50 inch widescreen with my xbox all over the place man. Way easier than a slim 22inch flatscreen monitor and a 12lb case.

Fuck dudes, l2Uhaul.

HallowedFaith on
    I'm making video games. DesignBy.Cloud
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, split screen is the lamest thing for DM. The rules at the console LAN parties I always went to were that for competitive games you either had your own system or you waited in line.

Einhander on
    edited March 2008
    Man, split screen is the lamest thing for DM. The rules at the console LAN parties I always went to were that for competitive games you either had your own system or you waited in line.

Then you went to stupid LAN parties. Put each team on their own TV. It's good times.

shryke on
  • mrflippymrflippy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Have you ever even attended a PC LAN party? It takes somewhere around 5 years for everybody to arrive and get their rig set up. Half of the people need to reinstall Windows and only 2 people have games installed. Someone has drivers from 1998, and there is at least one person who insists on running Linux and fiddles with Wine the entire time. A bunch of people get bored after a few games and start clogging up the network transferring porn files between their computers.

Consoles are simple to set up.

mrflippy on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    bruin wrote: »
    You know Halo 3 was great but I'm so sick of halo at the moment. We dont need Halo lego, or even halo wars.

it was once a great series which I think is going to get whored out so much now.

I feel the same way

Then I imagine an ODST tactical squad-based shooter and I really don't care how much they whore it out

I've been wanting that for years.

DouglasDanger on
    edited March 2008
    *snip*.

Unless you have access to a computer lab. But even if you're hauling your PC I'd say it's about the same amount of work as hauling a decent sized TV. It takes one more trip from the car to inside but that's not really a huge deal. On a personal note after attending a couple of LANs with 20-30 people in attendance and playing things like Tribes there was really just no way Halo LAN play could compare. I guess you could say I was spoiled. :P

That wasn't really my point though. My point was that listening to people go off about how new and revolutionary a multiplayer FPS game was when it wasn't at all got really old and I think that the game took a lot of undue flak from people who felt that way.

HappylilElf on
  • Shooter McgavinShooter Mcgavin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey guys, le'go my Halo!

Ha ha!

Shooter Mcgavin on
    banner.gif
    edited March 2008
    *snip*.

Unless you have access to a computer lab. But even if you're hauling your PC I'd say it's about the same amount of work as hauling a decent sized TV. It takes one more trip from the car to inside but that's not really a huge deal. On a personal note after attending a couple of LANs with 20-30 people in attendance and playing things like Tribes there was really just no way Halo LAN play could compare. I guess you could say I was spoiled. :P

That wasn't really my point though. My point was that listening to people go off about how new and revolutionary a multiplayer FPS game was when it wasn't at all got really old and I think that the game took a lot of undue flak from people who felt that way.

It was new to ALOT of people. Almost the entire console market + the significant number of people who'd never gone to a LAN party.

shryke on
    edited March 2008
    Exactly why it got so tiring. It was a ton of people raving incessantly about how great this new thing was and to the people who had been playing online multiplayer games, lan play that required multiple consoles and TVs to reproduce the same experience they'd already known about and enjoyed for years wasn't even discussion worthy let alone something worthy of raving about.

Enter vitriolic comments and thus discussions that degenerated into shitstorms when other people pointed out, often in a sarcastic or teasing way that this was nothing new and that when held to the standards of PC FPS games Halo wasn't really anything special. Then things would get even dumber as the argument went on. Eventually you'd have one side saying how the game was utter crap and the other touting it as the best thing to ever come out of the gaming industry. The silly thing is both sides were wrong but everyone was so used to the zealots it got to the point that you couldn't say "I liked Halo but I think there have been better FPSs" without getting jumped on from both sides for either not liking it enough or saying you think it was a good game.

In short both sides tended to be really fucking retarded.

HappylilElf on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    LEGO: Total War needs to be made.

Scavenge the fallen to build your own armies up. YES. YES. YES.

Hey, circle jerkers, stop shitting on Halo and dare to dream with Lewie P and I.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
    edited March 2008
    No one is shitting on Halo.

And yes, LEGO Halo could be awesome. They'd need to hire the Red vs Blue crew to do the cutscenes though.

HappylilElf on