Vanilla Forums has been nominated for a second time in the CMS Critic "Critic's Choice" awards, and we need your vote! Read more here, and then do the thing (please).
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

New Comic - March 3rd 2008

1356789

Posts

  • PhonehandPhonehand Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    wait tycho doesn't like this game?

    what the shit i hate this place

    pmdunk.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sometimes Gabe & Tycho display amazingly bad taste.

    For example, I can't imagine how Assassin's Creed could possibly be MORE fun (by which I mean less boring) if you play through slowly. Like, the whole problem with the game is that the things you do are really repetitive and grind-y, because there's very little variety and you have to do non-assassination-related stuff for a lot of the game. And also the combat blows because you have basically one move. So it seems like the best way to play that is to rush through and see the story events and cutscenes and crap, so that you spend a higher percentage of time doing cool shit, and a lower percentage grinding. Gabe for some reason felt that the game improved as you did less cool shit, and spent more time doing boring crap like fighting guards. (Admittedly, fighting guards would've been fun if the combat system had more than one useful move.)

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    It's called an opinion.
    People have them.
    Some people have different ones.
    It's OK.

  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    calling it: thread will be at the very least 8 pages now

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • thorgotthorgot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    It's called an opinion.
    People have them.
    Some people have different ones.
    It's OK.

    you are wrong

    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shut up, Wiggin.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    HOLY SHIT GUYS
    SOMEONE ON THE INTERNET HAS DIFFERENT TASTES AND OPINIONS
    HOLY JESUS THIS IS HUGE

  • GabrielGabriel Registered User, ClubPA, Penny Arcade Staff, PAX Staff staff
    edited March 2008
    You have bad taste. My taste is rad. You are wrong about my taste.

    Defender wrote: »
    Sometimes Gabe & Tycho display amazingly bad taste.

    For example, I can't imagine how Assassin's Creed could possibly be MORE fun (by which I mean less boring) if you play through slowly. Like, the whole problem with the game is that the things you do are really repetitive and grind-y, because there's very little variety and you have to do non-assassination-related stuff for a lot of the game. And also the combat blows because you have basically one move. So it seems like the best way to play that is to rush through and see the story events and cutscenes and crap, so that you spend a higher percentage of time doing cool shit, and a lower percentage grinding. Gabe for some reason felt that the game improved as you did less cool shit, and spent more time doing boring crap like fighting guards. (Admittedly, fighting guards would've been fun if the combat system had more than one useful move.)

  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
  • edited March 2008
  • TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Uh oh.

    tonkkatrikesig.jpg
    Gamertag: T0NKKA - Steam: evilumpire Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! HEY SATAN
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Wait, Gabe has been tasting Defender?

    humebackgroundcj5.jpg
    [size=-2]WII 8980 7585 1015 3348 BRAWL 3909 7191 9283 STRIKERS 124661 822404[/size]
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Certified BrimperRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    hahaha

    sup gabe

    (you should do the afghan idea, talk to khoo)

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • FaricazyFaricazy Registered User
    edited March 2008
  • 2 Marcus 2 Ravens2 Marcus 2 Ravens Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Come on Gabe, beat him up. Beat him up good!

  • CriticalCritical Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Flawless victory.

    edesig.jpg
  • edited March 2008
    defender's wrong about the game too, it was good

  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    defender is online but he just stopped posting

    he is in the corner, rocking

  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    And there's Gabe with the block.

  • SquashuaSquashua __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Block Obama.


    /signed

    humebackgroundcj5.jpg
    [size=-2]WII 8980 7585 1015 3348 BRAWL 3909 7191 9283 STRIKERS 124661 822404[/size]
  • BusterKBusterK Negativity is Boring Cynicism is Cowardice Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gabriel wrote: »
    You have bad taste. My taste is rad. You are wrong about my taste.

    Defender wrote: »
    Sometimes Gabe & Tycho display amazingly bad taste.

    For example, I can't imagine how Assassin's Creed could possibly be MORE fun (by which I mean less boring) if you play through slowly. Like, the whole problem with the game is that the things you do are really repetitive and grind-y, because there's very little variety and you have to do non-assassination-related stuff for a lot of the game. And also the combat blows because you have basically one move. So it seems like the best way to play that is to rush through and see the story events and cutscenes and crap, so that you spend a higher percentage of time doing cool shit, and a lower percentage grinding. Gabe for some reason felt that the game improved as you did less cool shit, and spent more time doing boring crap like fighting guards. (Admittedly, fighting guards would've been fun if the combat system had more than one useful move.)

    This is the most beautiful thing I've ever seen on these boards

    Visit http://www.cruzflores.com for all your Cruz Flores needs. Also listen to the podcast I do with Penguin Incarnate http://wgsgshow.podomatic.com
    Amazon Wishlist: http://www.amazon.com/BusterK/wishlist/3JPEKJGX9G54I/ref=cm_wl_search_bin_1
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    calling it: thread will be at the very least 8 pages now

    Wow, that's a bold call to make halfway down page four with a day and a half to go. You're like some kinda latter-day Nostradamus.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ZeroFill wrote: »
    defender is online but he just stopped posting

    he is in the corner, rocking

    I was marked as online? That's weird. I took a friend of mine to the supermarket because she's sick and didn't want to carry stuff herself. I'm surprised it left me logged in for that long. I guess leaving my browser open does that, but if that's the case, I should be "online" almost all the time.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gabriel wrote: »
    You have bad taste. My taste is rad. You are wrong about my taste.

    Defender wrote: »
    Sometimes Gabe & Tycho display amazingly bad taste.

    For example, I can't imagine how Assassin's Creed could possibly be MORE fun (by which I mean less boring) if you play through slowly. Like, the whole problem with the game is that the things you do are really repetitive and grind-y, because there's very little variety and you have to do non-assassination-related stuff for a lot of the game. And also the combat blows because you have basically one move. So it seems like the best way to play that is to rush through and see the story events and cutscenes and crap, so that you spend a higher percentage of time doing cool shit, and a lower percentage grinding. Gabe for some reason felt that the game improved as you did less cool shit, and spent more time doing boring crap like fighting guards. (Admittedly, fighting guards would've been fun if the combat system had more than one useful move.)

    Hey, Gabe.

    Pretty much expected exactly that response (was there a prize for that?), except I must say that I am surprised that you elected to post above the quote block. You "artsy" types are so devious!

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    what

    what the hell are you even trying to say

  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    it was a "puppetmaster" defence, a classic, to be sure

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Pretty much I'm going to stick with "people can have opinions that aren't yours, unless that opinion is that starving is healthy."

  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    He's noting that Gabe types his text before quote.

    gabriel.png

    4484-7718-8470
  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What I meant was, what point is he trying to advance by stating the obvious

  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Pretty much I'm going to stick with "people can have opinions that aren't yours, unless that opinion is that starving is healthy."

    I would like to talk to you about the master clenser. It is very clensing.

  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Pretty much I'm going to stick with "people can have opinions that aren't yours, unless that opinion is that starving is healthy."

    I would like to talk to you about the master clenser. It is very clensing.

  • ZeroFillZeroFill Feeling much better. A nice, green leaf.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    also campion you are the best, and how have you been? Have you mostly retreated to AC

  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I actually haven't posted regularly in the AC for 2-3 years, that place is only for posting my projects and sometimes pointing things out, and also lurking.
    So yeah, I've just started lurking a bit more, it goes off and on.

    4484-7718-8470
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Certified BrimperRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    campion that's rad

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • DefenderDefender Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    bongi wrote: »
    defender's wrong about the game too, it was good

    Nah, in all seriousness, it was really, really bad. It looked like it was pushed out the door about 12 months early. The textures, 3D models, and animations were all really, really great. I want to give some credit for the tech, minus the pop-in and load times, but it's pretty vanilla Unreal 3, so that credit would mostly go to Epic, not Ubisoft, anyway. The problems with the game were pretty simple:

    1) Combat sucked ass. Counter-attacking was ungodly powerful, and there was never a reason not to do it. There's also only one mission (the first assassination) where you can't use it, so basically every fight in the game is just "hold guard, press attack when they swing at you." That's boring as fuck, and there's no excuse for it, given that there's plenty of good combat available to study in new games (God Of War), last-generation games (Ninja Gaiden), and even games two generations back (Zelda 64).

    2) The stuff you actually did in towns sucked ass. Aside from climbing and navigating towers, there was nothing to do; the town felt dead and sterile. Saving citizens was a chore, unchallenging but time-consuming (again, because of the shitty combat), and the reward was something I didn't even need and usually didn't ever use. Just the whole principle of getting a bureaucrat's permission to assassinate somebody takes away the coolness. Agent 47 gets his targets given to him in cutscenes, then the player goes and kills them. The ninja of the Azuma clan (Tenchu) get their targets in cutscenes, then the player goes and dispatches them. And I'm guessing that Sam Fisher doesn't have time to fuck around with red tape. Here, the assassin gets his target in a cutscene, then the player dicks around getting permission to kill him for 45 minutes, then spends 2-3 minutes actually shanking the guy.

    The game just wasn't done. It needed to be streamlined, the combat needed to be rebalanced, and the city needed to feel more like GTA, where there's shit to do and different shops and stuff, instead of being sterile and repetitive.

    hello massa, I jar jar binks
    I've overheard someone say "Don't say something is retarded, its not cool to make fun of retards. Just say its gay."
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Campion wrote: »
    I actually haven't posted regularly in the AC for 2-3 years, that place is only for posting my projects and sometimes pointing things out, and also lurking.
    So yeah, I've just started lurking a bit more, it goes off and on.
    Hey Campion when is the finale for Adventure :o

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? peach treesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Campion wrote: »
    He's noting that Gabe types his text before quote.

    gabriel.png

    This is a very pretty picture

    And also quite accurate

    7u0YG.gif
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | SCREENED | STEAM ID | BUY SOME STUFF!
This discussion has been closed.