As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[LOTRO] Barrovian Society Wanders but is not Lost

• lowlylowlycooklowlylowlycook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    How's the population in the game? Are the servers still pretty packed, or is it dying?

I don't know about other servers but Landroval has a high enough population that some people can't really handle Bree at peak times. Also the population isn't just lv 50s. I see people forming PuGs in all the zones.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    (Please do not gift. My game bank is already full.)
  • MurphyMurphy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My download from gamershell kept timing out. At this rate, my free trial will end before I can even get the game downloaded. Oh well. ;/

Murphy on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    should be a torrent version someplace

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited March 2008
    I don't know the first thing about torrents. I explained that earlier.

Murphy on
  • WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    do you know how to install a program

do you know how to click a link

if you said yes to any of these, you too can torrent

Wren on
    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the help. I'll just go randomly start downloading things in the hope that one of them is the correct version of LOTRO I need.

I'm not a moron. I just don't know anything about Torrents (what are safe/reputable, etc.)

This is what I get for tossing my LOTRO disks, is all. Lesson learned.

Murphy on
    edited March 2008
    Wren wrote: »
    do you know how to install a program

do you know how to click a link

if you said yes to any of these, you too can torrent

Very helpful as always Wren! Anyway probably the program you need to install is here:

utorrent

I couldn't find any recent torrents in the few minutes I have now but you could start out clicking this link:

http://mach.oldschoolsfinest.com/images/full-cd.torrent

If you've installed utorrent then that link should start your download if you "open" it. Be warned you will be patching for quite a while. Hopefully someone else can find a newer torrent or I might find one after dinner. Good luck.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    That's a huge help, thanks. I did download uTorrent, and had found quite the list of various files. But I wasn't sure what to download, as they were all kind of vague (and several of them were the beta client from this time last year).

Murphy on
  • WillisIVIIXWillisIVIIX Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just downloaded the client off of lotro's website. Download and patching took roughly 5 hours total. 4 of that was the client download. I gotta say I'm enjoying the second trial playthrough more than my first. Having a better computer to pull out some more of the charm of the environments didn't hurt.

Although I still don't like how few skills there are per class, I do however like not having 8 ranks of each like in WoW. Who knows maybe I'll get a sub next month and try to get 50 to say I did it, just like hitting 70 in WoW.

WillisIVIIX on
  • ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    each class has plenty of skills. Plus you can get more through various deeds for your racial traits and so on. There are more than there seem to be initially.

ToyD on
    steam_sig.png
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    While I never played WoW, I did play EQ, EQ2, and a couple of others... and based on the comment about 8 ranks of skill, I suspect that's the difference.

While you're usually only getting 1-2 new active skills on an even-numbered level, you're getting NEW skills, not upgrades to your old ones. The old ones automatically scale to your current level. (Passive skills on odd-numbered levels are upgrades, I guess, but I don't really think of those as skills so much as combat improvements).

For example, my minstrel has 2 single-target heals, a quick one and a big one (plus group heals, etc.). The big one heals about 1/3 to 1/2 of my husband's guardian's hp (assuming I'm not in War-Speech mode), and has since the first level I got it somewhere in the neighborhood of 10-20 levels ago. The quick one heals roughly half what the big one does. I don't get upgraded heals every few levels, I don't need them. The ones I have keep pace with what I need, which means I don't have old baby heals left over from lower levels that I never use any more either. Instead of getting upgrades to my heals, I get new, different skills.

So, while my complete skill list may be smaller than an equivalent leveled healer class in another game, I actually USE most of them, rather than leaving the old lower-level ones collecting dust while I use the upgrades. I suspect if you compare the number of skills actually useful at a given level, they're probably pretty similar.

Nerissa on
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Alright, tonight I head home to reinstall then reactivate my account, and possibly become an MMO pusher and get my 2 roommates to play with me as well. Failing that, I will see what I can do about botting a halfling minstrel with a human guardian.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Finally got around to playing my character, but then I realized belatedly that you can't use health potions unless they're in a hotbar.

Long story short I started over so I can get a stupid title. ._.

Man-Captain: Aesur (lvl 6)

Skexis on
  • KajustaKajusta Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Right click does wonders.

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
    edited March 2008
    Kajusta wrote: »
    Right click does wonders.

Uh, that was pretty much my point, since the most obvious thing didn't seem to work.

Skexis on
    edited March 2008
    well, you CAN use them from a backpack, but unless you routinely run around with your backpack open, it takes longer than you probably want to activate them

In the grand scheme of things, I don't know that the title is really worth starting over for... but to each his own, I guess.

Nerissa on
    edited March 2008
    ToyD wrote: »
    each class has plenty of skills. Plus you can get more through various deeds for your racial traits and so on. There are more than there seem to be initially.

If anything my lv 50 captain has too many buttons, with a lot of them pretty situational but too useful to not put on bars.

In other news, did someone bring up the "we are about to announce something announcement?
    Codemasters Online and Turbine, Inc. team up for major announcement at the forthcoming Codemasters Online Connect Event

Codemasters Online and Turbine Inc announced today that they expect this year’s Connect event to be the staging area for a major announcement for The Lord of the Rings Online™: Shadows of Angmar™.

David Solari, Vice President and General Manager of Codemasters Online commented “Connect is shaping up to be a great event with some massive news. We’re extremely pleased Turbine has agreed to make the trip out to Europe to share the major announcement we’ve lined up for The Lord of the Rings Online. I guarantee it is going to get the community buzzing”.

Jeffrey Steefel, Executive Producer of The Lord of the Rings Online, commented “We are very excited for Connect ‘08. We can’t think of a better place to make a big announcement regarding The Lord of the Rings Online than in Birmingham, the childhood home of J.R.R. Tolkien.”

Taking place on March 14th / 15th, Connect 2008 is Codemasters Online’s premier gaming event spanning all of Codemasters Online’s gaming titles including The Lord of the Rings Online™, ArchLord, RF Online, DUNGEONS & DRAGONS™ ONLINE: Stormreach™ and much much more!

Finally, if you guys have any screenshots put them up here and I'll add some to the OP. If you don't have any nice screenshots go out there and get them!

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    So I started up my free trial and reactivated my account, in hopes of some hot dual-boxing love. Unfortunately, the second computer powers itself off while installing from the DVD...

It should not be the DVD's fault, because I just finished using it to install on my other PC. So I ask you, what the fuck. I tried installing to both the C: and D: partition, hoping it was just some bad sectors or something, but apparently not.

Any suggestions?

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Run a download or just shove it on a portable drive and hoik it over onto the other machine.

Getting your pc checked out is probably a more sensible option but I'm just thinking of what would get you two boxing soonest :)

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
    edited March 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »
    well, you CAN use them from a backpack, but unless you routinely run around with your backpack open, it takes longer than you probably want to activate them

In the grand scheme of things, I don't know that the title is really worth starting over for... but to each his own, I guess.

See, I played it for a few months already on a different server, and I could always use them from my backpack, but for some reason when I came up against a couple of mobs a level higher than me, right-clicking did jack squat. (And no, I hadn't used any potions in the game up until that point, so I know it wasn't recharging.) I just assumed it was some new update gremlin.

I'm not too worried about it, since I was only level 8 when I started over anyways. And because I'm not running on a trial, I've pretty much got all the time I need to perfect my low-level stuff.

Skexis on
  • naturalchaosnaturalchaos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I can't see any evidence that it is. It has a pretty solid base of subscribers, maybe second to WoW in the US. But I don't really see how we'd know something like that anyway.

Sorry if anyone answered this already, but it looks like LotRO currently has about 250,000 subscribers.

http://www.mmogchart.com/Chart1.html

naturalchaos on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Monster play is fun.

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
  • KassKass Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, I was lured by the free trial and have been playing this thing since the weekend. I'm pretty impressed with it and think I'll end up subscribing. So, anyone here have an invite that would get me the cheaper monthly fee? Send me a pm and I'll get you my email address (or however that thing works).

Only thing I'm torn about is which class to end up playing. So far I've tried every class at least through the intro (which get them to level 6), just to get a feel for the basic play of them. I'm kinda torn between playing a minstrel, a champion, or a hunter. Anyone have any feedback on what they're like at higher levels? Also, are there any classes that are in higher demand than others (or classes that are way too overpopulated?). I'm coming from WoW, and I guess I just don't want to make the equivalent generic HunterXXX or RogueXXX character that everyone else has (if that makes sense?).

Kass on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I will definitely say that there are many Hunters and Champions on Landroval, for obvious reasons... especially the Hunters what with their nifty campfire teleporting thingy. There are a lot of Minstrel's though, however some of them... well, don't seem to read their skills. Being grouped with one who doesn't understand that having War Speech on while healing means we all die. So... I guess what I'm saying is the population for all three is good, and to tell you the truth just play what you feel like :o.

Also one last thing, 6 isn't the best way to interpret what a class will be like... just like that former game I played which will not be named, 20 is the sweet spot since thats when you get a lot of skills as well as an armor upgrade. However only being able to have five characters per server makes me a sad panda so I can't try everything out to that extent D:, and I'm OCD if I get a character beyond 10 I can't delete them >.<!

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • KassKass Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yah, I know that level 6 isn't the best way to tell what a class will be like, but, well, I have a week long trial so I tried to give everything at least a shot to get a feel for them. From what you said, it seems like the 3 I liked the most are the 3 most popular then? :P

Hrm.. how about this then. Is there a desperately needed class that's way underplayed? (This would probably be for the Landroval server as since that seems to be where a lot of folk are and I'll wind up). With the limited amount I've played so far I've enjoyed all of the classes more or less. I guess I'm just torn as to which character I'd want to play for the long haul.

Kass on
    edited March 2008
    Kass wrote: »
    Yah, I know that level 6 isn't the best way to tell what a class will be like, but, well, I have a week long trial so I tried to give everything at least a shot to get a feel for them. From what you said, it seems like the 3 I liked the most are the 3 most popular then? :P

Hrm.. how about this then. Is there a desperately needed class that's way underplayed? (This would probably be for the Landroval server as since that seems to be where a lot of folk are and I'll wind up). With the limited amount I've played so far I've enjoyed all of the classes more or less. I guess I'm just torn as to which character I'd want to play for the long haul.

I'd say the most in demand class is the guardian, with minstrels not far behind. Captains are the least played, I think, but not really necessary except for raids.

Still I'd say go with what you find fun. There aren't many encounters that a champion couldn't tank and I've done pleanty of main healing on my captain.

lowlylowlycook on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    So I started up my free trial and reactivated my account, in hopes of some hot dual-boxing love. Unfortunately, the second computer powers itself off while installing from the DVD...

It should not be the DVD's fault, because I just finished using it to install on my other PC. So I ask you, what the fuck. I tried installing to both the C: and D: partition, hoping it was just some bad sectors or something, but apparently not.

Any suggestions?

Well, I downloaded the client onto the computer without issue, however, again when trying to install on the computer it powered itself off suddenly. Checked the event log and it doesnt record anything, and I had the reboot on critical failure turned off.

At this point I'm just going to go buy the new computer that I've been putting off, I was hoping on waiting until Warhammer Online came out so I could get something as current as possible.

(To be fair, the computer thats being a bitch is actually my roommates, my second PC is actually a really old Dell with a 800mhz PentiumII and 512mb ram)

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
  • GaruGaru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would be interested in a founder referral. Please send me a message off thread if you can help me out (and possibly a friend, if I can wear down his penny pinching weaknesses...). Thanks!

edit: I've been taken care of for the referral. Thanks!

Garu on
    edited March 2008
    Arthil wrote: »
    I will definitely say that there are many Hunters and Champions on Landroval, for obvious reasons... especially the Hunters what with their nifty campfire teleporting thingy. There are a lot of Minstrel's though, however some of them... well, don't seem to read their skills. Being grouped with one who doesn't understand that having War Speech on while healing means we all die. So... I guess what I'm saying is the population for all three is good, and to tell you the truth just play what you feel like :o.

Also one last thing, 6 isn't the best way to interpret what a class will be like... just like that former game I played which will not be named, 20 is the sweet spot since thats when you get a lot of skills as well as an armor upgrade. However only being able to have five characters per server makes me a sad panda so I can't try everything out to that extent D:, and I'm OCD if I get a character beyond 10 I can't delete them >.<!

Yeah, I'm used to 8 slots, that 5-character limit is frustrating. Especially since my husband and I started characters to play together, then after I had 4 other 20+ characters (all with well-developed crafting vocations), we started playing those characters only with a couple of RL friends, and then he wanted to make 2 more to play together, but the only way that's going to happen is on another server. :( We made monster characters instead, but haven't spent too much time on them.

I never really had much desire to play melee-type classes anyway, so I don't miss being able to try out the guardian & champion too badly, although I'm enjoying my captain more than I'd expected I would.

Nerissa on
  • TheLawinatorTheLawinator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm leveling a guardian!

TheLawinator on
    My SteamID Gamertag and PSN: TheLawinator
    edited March 2008
    Guess what?
    wowcancelledxo1.jpg

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hahaha, awesome.

Well, I guess I will bite on the $10 game, then.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
    edited March 2008
    Where is it on sale for $10?

Kajusta on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    XBL
  • Whiniest Man On EarthWhiniest Man On Earth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    If you do the trial, a while after it's done, they'll send you an e-mail with a coupon code to buy it for $10.

Whiniest Man On Earth on
  • veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hey all, I have a few more founders referrals. Send me a message with your email address if you want one. Oh, to get the $10 pricing on the game, I entered the coupon code LOTROFTEN and it worked about three weeks ago, so you can try that.

Also, who is everyone here in the pennyarcade channel? I'm usually on as Anaborn.

Alright, here's a few screenshots so this post isn't a total waste:

I love the way the trolls look and fight in this game. Several shit-your-pants moments as you're sent flying into a pair of other trolls by a backhand swipe.
    ScreenShot00137.jpg
    ScreenShot00143.jpg

Giant wandering around in the far west part of Bree-land.
    ScreenShot00159.jpg

Explored the Great Barrows a few nights back, ouch... couldn't beat this guy.
    ScreenShot00153.jpg

veritas1 on
  • DangerousDangerous Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got in on the free trial and I am liking the game quite a bit so far. I'm hoping to sucker a few friends in so we can have our own fellowship. I made a dwarf guardian with a mohawk and an elf ranger, but I think I'll end up sticking with the dwarf.

Quick question, do all the races start out near each other? My dwarf and elf started reasonably close, what about humans and hobbits? I just don't want to waste most of the trial finding my buddies.

Edit: Also, what do founder's referrals do? For 10 bucks I am really considering picking this up.

Dangerous on
    sig2-2.jpg
  • GaruGaru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    LOTROFTEN doesn't work for me. Oh well.

Garu on
  • veritas1veritas1 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Founder's referral will allow you to get the founders pricing plan if you decide to sign up. That is $10/mo instead of $15/mo, or $200 for lifetime instead of $300. It will tag your account as founders, but you will still need to buy the box though (I think). It's kind of confusing, but my friend got it to work. I think you just add the actual game key to the trial founders referral account or something.

Hobbits start pretty far from humans. Humans start in Archet, and Hobbits start in the Shire (I think Michel Delving). However, at around level 12-13, all races will end up in Bree together for Book 1.

veritas1 on
    edited March 2008
    Basically, there are two initial bits (up through the initial instance at level 5-7 or so), one for dwarves & elves and another for humans and hobbits. Then, at about the same time elves split off to their own base in southern Erud Luin while dwarves stay in Thorin's Gate, hobbits split off to the Shire and humans stay in the Bree area. (part of the reason I have 5 characters is that I absolutely HAD to try all of the races :D )

If you have even a minor desire to play a hobbit, I'd suggest doing so... their prologue (where it picks up once they get to the Shire) is hilarious. But unless you've got a lot of patience, don't try the mail & pie delivery quest chains. :P

It's relatively easy to get everyone together in one place (1s ride between Bree and any of the starting locations) but unless you want to skip over the prologue in the main quest line and jump straight to book 1, you'll end up all over the place trying to get everyone's quests done if you have a variety of races. Elves and dwarves used to have identical prologues, I don't know if they still do (they've made some changes to them since I created my last character). After about level 10 or so, though, you'll all be in the Bree area anyway, so you might want to just let everyone do their own thing up until that point and meet up then.

Nerissa on
    edited March 2008
    Hmm... I have made it to lvl 11 without dying on my new guardian, and have finished most all of the Archet / Combe quests. I'm thinking I'm going to head over to the Shire and also the Elf/Dwarf lands to do their newbie quests. Hopefully that will allow some trait grinding as well as get me close to 15+ without being defeated.

Ideally I can clear all 4 newbie areas of quests and maybe hit 20 as undefeated.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png