Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Kids these days

1234579

Posts

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    Pony wrote: »
    some people feel compelled to defend catcher in the rye

    because they feel they should defend it as a piece of literature

    like somehow, culture dies a little if people hate it and nobody tries to say "hey it's great literature!"

    no

    it is trash

    just because people made the mistake of respecting it in the past doesn't mean anyone should defend it

    It might not be great.

    But there is no way that its trash.

    i disagree

    X GETS THE SQUARE
    hsquares-797971.jpg

    OH LOOKS LIKE YOU'RE FUCKED NOW

  • DodgeBlanDodgeBlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    YOU SUNK MY BATTLESHIP

    OooOOOoOoOOOooOOOoOOOoOoOOoOOoOOOOOOOOoooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOooooooooooooooo
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A lot of my favourite books are classics

    but then I guess they are classics for a reason

    sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2008
    a lot of my favourite books are objectively terrible

    ssseeee.gif
  • yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2008
    janson i need to borrow three hundred dollars

    ssseeee.gif
  • EinhanderEinhander __BANNED USERS
    edited March 2008
    I just got my copy of Seven League Boots back (an original printed in 1935) and I'm about to re-read it.

    Richard Halliburton is basically a huge badass. He decided he was going to swim along the Panama Canal from the Atlantic side to the pacific side, but they wouldn't let him go through it because he wasn't a boat. So, he registered himself as the S.S. Halliburton and was charged 36 cents (they charged him based on his length and weight as if he was a boat) to swim through.

    He travelled across the globe and sold stories about his exploits to make a living. He got busted trying to sneak into Mecca and bought a slave child in Africa. He also fucked anyone he could get his hands on (including Ramon Novarro).

    He went missing (along with the crew) in 1939 while crossing the Pacific.

    Pretty much the inventor of travel/adventure journalism.

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    camus is my favourite 8-)



    The Stranger made me want to kill people. Lots and lots of people.

    As long as you have a good reason for it!

    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • Caulk Bite 6Caulk Bite 6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    Wiggin if you bailed on Catcher what book did you end up reading?

    Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
    Great book, but also one that's kinda hard for me to read.
    It's about an autistic kid, and the way he thinks and writes is very similar to myself.
    So you know

    I really should look that book up.

  • Agent VesagoAgent Vesago Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    discussing favorite novels and whatnot is a good way to learn stuff about someone

    datin' this one gal, things going okay

    she brings up books that have emotionally affected oneself

    not necessarily books we really liked, but ones that really got something out of us

    she says fifth business, and a seperate peace

    i say the talented mr. ripley and thus spoke zarathustra

    we get into talking about it, and it's pretty clear on a pretty huge personality level, we're really incompatible people

    it was nice, in a way. i mean, it was also awkward and stuff but it saved bullshit later when we'd realize this through arguments or something

    So, you just went straight to the fucking?

    Clowns.jpg
  • The Far SideThe Far Side __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    i loved curious incident goddamn

    33aqfwk.jpg
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm reading that Black Man book by Richard Morgan at the moment. It's a bit better than his usual hardman storyline, although it is still basically a hardman storyline. It's almost philip k. dick esq in it's exploration of what it is to be human. Almost. What is hilarious is the 'romance' scenes in it. You are reading this fairly intelligent hard-nosed sci-fi novel and then suddenly Morgan slaps you in the face with a big, wet, floppy cheap and nasty hardcore porn scenario that lasts a couple of pages and you just read through giggling at how out of place it is all cuban tit-wanks and spitting on things to lubricate them and your just like 'Oh boy, Morgan has basically never had a romantic encounter outside of a Max Hardcore movie playing on pay-per-view in a motel.'

  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sex scenes are like the hardest thing to write ever. If I ever have one in a story it's just gonna be a "fade to black" sort of thing where you know they did it but I ain't giving any running commentary on it.

    Gamertag: PrimusD | Rock Band DLC | GW:OttW - arrcd | WLD - Thortar
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Sex scenes are like the hardest thing to write ever. If I ever have one in a story it's just gonna be a "fade to black" sort of thing where you know they did it but I ain't giving any running commentary on it.

    That would basically be appropriate. Unless you are trying to make a particular study of the character and how his/her love-making informs the reader of their inner psyche like maybe they are distracted or can't properly connect even when bonning or they are particularly into this because of how connected they actually in fact are. I'm not a prude but I really don't usually need all the wet and juicy details please especially when it doesn't actually serve to further the plot or the characters I essentially have a limited amount of reading time and I know what sex looks and smells like already.

    It's like when they try to do fight scenes and explain with Defender-like detail all the particular locks and holds and triple punch dragon licks and whatever faggoty fuck and unless you are a martial arts schollar your basically just like, 'Yeah, whatever, did he kick the guys arse or not?'

  • wawkinwawkin Registered User
    edited March 2008
    This thread was going so well, then everyone started talking sense. What a waste.

    Talkin to the robbery expert.

    "This is where I say something profound and you bow, so lets just skip to your part."
  • KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetSuper Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    man, richard k. morgan is notorious for writing the most goddamned awkward sex scenes ever

    and all of his books got like at least 2 or 3 of them


    i wonder if the dude is a virgin

  • bentbent Registered User
    edited March 2008
    I could feel the merge nine throbbing inside me

    sig1.png
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Knob wrote: »
    man, richard k. morgan is notorious for writing the most goddamned awkward sex scenes ever

    and all of his books got like at least 2 or 3 of them


    i wonder if the dude is a virgin

    It wouldn't surprise me. I kind of imagine him working late on his books and the TV is on in the background and the cat comes in and steps on on the DVD remote and suddenly it's Girls Gone Got Ding Donged playing and suddenly his brain is saying lets just start with the characters straight up fucking right here even although it's in the middle of a really inappropriate situation and oh yeah, that's good, I'll just touch myself right there, oh yeah, lets get some lube on there, uh huh...

    CHAPTER 16

  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel COME ON AND DAN AND WELCOME TO THE DANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The sex scene in Crooked Little Vein was handled pretty well.

    Chapter 16

    If you think I'm going to tell you how the sex was, you're out of your mind.

    Chapter 17

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    fantasy authors write the most hilarious sex scenes.

    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    +5 Wang of impotence flailing limply, Agrabargh struggled to penetrate the luscious pool of Eloquin's radiant netherworld.

  • vsovevsove ....also yes. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    they like to use the word 'dampness' a lot. apparently their knowledge of female genitalia is that sometimes, they get a little damp.

    WATCH THIS SPACE.
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Caulk Bite wrote: »
    Lol! wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    Wiggin if you bailed on Catcher what book did you end up reading?

    Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
    Great book, but also one that's kinda hard for me to read.
    It's about an autistic kid, and the way he thinks and writes is very similar to myself.
    So you know

    I really should look that book up.

    Just don't read his second book

    It's truly abysmal

    He can't write well at all. The first book did well because its narrative style was unique and served a purpose. His new book is attempting to be regular fiction and is really quite atrocious.

    sharasugar_80.png sharanomsugar_80.png
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel COME ON AND DAN AND WELCOME TO THE DANRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    vsove wrote: »
    they like to use the word 'dampness' a lot. apparently their knowledge of female genitalia is that sometimes, they get a little damp.
    A little box of baking powder will fix that.

    Or some cat litter.

    sites: personal | tumblr | abracadaniel dot com | coolguy.me
    services I recommend: tonx coffee *highly recommended* | everlane
    Secret Satan Wishlists: Regular List Coffee Stuff
    FUNTENDO DS BROCODE: 2337-4364-1683
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Oden wrote: »
    Lol! wrote: »
    No it is a horrible book with a protagonist who should've slit his fucking wrists and been done with it.

    you're not allowed to make these kinds of suggestions because you are the spastic with aspergers syndrome

    Except not spastic at all.
    And Aspeger's has absolutely 0 bearing on my opinion of a book so uh
    I'm basically calling you an idiot here.

  • PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    discussing favorite novels and whatnot is a good way to learn stuff about someone

    datin' this one gal, things going okay

    she brings up books that have emotionally affected oneself

    not necessarily books we really liked, but ones that really got something out of us

    she says fifth business, and a seperate peace

    i say the talented mr. ripley and thus spoke zarathustra

    we get into talking about it, and it's pretty clear on a pretty huge personality level, we're really incompatible people

    it was nice, in a way. i mean, it was also awkward and stuff but it saved bullshit later when we'd realize this through arguments or something

    So, you just went straight to the fucking?

    no

    never had sex with her

    she uh

    she didn't really trust me or nothin

  • StraythStrayth Registered User
    edited March 2008
    I liked Peterotica on Family Guy, it made me laugh. I'd order those audiobooks so hard, they'd


    fuck I can't finish that

    That's right.
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Can't imagine why.

  • BbajBbaj Registered User
    edited March 2008
    I can't believe I used to go out with G&T.

  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Knob wrote: »
    man, richard k. morgan is notorious for writing the most goddamned awkward sex scenes ever

    and all of his books got like at least 2 or 3 of them


    i wonder if the dude is a virgin

    fucking a seriously, and they come out of nowhere. i think woken furies had the raunchiest ones.

    pasig.jpg
    Steam | Fitocracy | XBL|PSN|WiiU|ninjafrizz 3DS FC - 5472-7018-3542
  • AretèAretè infiltrating neo zeed compoundRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Janson wrote: »
    Caulk Bite wrote: »
    Lol! wrote: »
    Einhander wrote: »
    Wiggin if you bailed on Catcher what book did you end up reading?

    Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time.
    Great book, but also one that's kinda hard for me to read.
    It's about an autistic kid, and the way he thinks and writes is very similar to myself.
    So you know

    I really should look that book up.

    Just don't read his second book

    It's truly abysmal

    He can't write well at all. The first book did well because its narrative style was unique and served a purpose. His new book is attempting to be regular fiction and is really quite atrocious.

    that is too bad because i really enjoyed curious incident, i picked it up on a whim because i was staying at a friends place and needed something to read and it was the first book in the room to catch my eye.

    pasig.jpg
    Steam | Fitocracy | XBL|PSN|WiiU|ninjafrizz 3DS FC - 5472-7018-3542
  • RanxRanx Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i loved curious incident goddamn

    HI5 Teefs

    I loved that book.

  • jwalkjwalk frosty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Jesus, right now over in G&T
    aaand you lost me

  • A CrowA Crow Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Anyone ever read the Moviegoer?

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User
    edited March 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    i just don't understand fanboyism

    i just

    i just can't

    my brain just comprehend it

    i cannot understand how you can like something so much it makes you hate something else which is also good simply because it isn't what you like

    but then

    i guess i can't understand religious zealotry either

    and they're pretty similar

    You were spoiled as a kid and you're not obviously rich.

    We must defend the things we can afford! We must convince ourselves that we made the right decision when we spent that last $500 dollars. Don't you see, Pony? Don't you?

    Also, olol G&T!

  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Listen
    I can't afford PS3
    But I don't hate it.
    I just rip on it because it's fun.

  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    God, if only people didn't have opinions.

    Why cant we all be more indecisive? I bet you those people get along with everyone, cant decide whether or not to like someone.

  • VeretasVeretas Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am most likely going to get a PS3.


    Just for MGS4.

  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Pfft. You can afford it, Mr. Moneybags.






    ... buy me one too ...

  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    in fact

    buy a PS3 for all of us

    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User
    edited March 2008
    If we could not make a fad of asking Veretas for money every time he posts that would be keen

    do not ask for whom the snerd tolls
Sign In or Register to comment.