As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Baldurwinter's Dragondale of Elemental Evil II

• AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Demerdar wrote: »
    BG1 & BG2 with the same character. Nothing was more satisfying than starting out as a wimpy little level 1 mage with 4 hp into a level 20 time-stopping meteor-summoning death machine. Truly an experience. Though it took me roughly 2 years to get through it cause I stopped playing for a while.

Oh man. OH MAN OH MAN. You have officially given me Insane-Crazy BG Fever. I must play through again. And it's going to be totally ridiculous trying to do so in the midst of my current runs of Lost Odyssey, Vampire Bloodlines, and ToEE.

There is not enough time, I tell you.

I did this with my Barbarian. I absolutely destroyed BG1 with a Barbarian. The only time I had a party was for the very last dungeon. However, my Barbarian fought Sarevok man to man because thats how he rolls.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • ZellZell Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Axen wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »
    Daenris wrote: »
    Mahnmut wrote: »
    harvest wrote: »
    EDIT: How can I get my BG2 to actually run on XP without looking like ass?

Elaborate? I don't think there are any XP compatibility issues. Make sure you have it fully patched, I guess, and crank up the resolution as high as possible.

Yeah there's shouldn't be issues. When you run the config program I think you have to check a box to "Unlock experimental resolutions" or something like that before choosing the highest resolution (probably 1280). If you have a widescreen monitor, there is a fan-made widescreen patch out there, but I don't know much about it since I don't use a widescreen monitor.

The issue is there are big squares of the screen separated by a one pixel wide border, so it looks like tic-tac-toe. And the font gets all blurry.

I've played lots of BG2 on XP and I've never seen or heard of that. Disabling 3D acceleration has been known to fix odd video glitches, though.

I had the same problem myself. I think its caused by widescreen monitors. At least I never noticed the problem until I upgraded to widescreen.

There is a way to fix it, but I cannot remember what it was.
    Change colour depth. Change the 2D optons for 16 bit colour depth. Disabling hardware acceleration might be a good idea too.

Anyway, I would start with the Baldur's Gate games, because if you start with the Icewind Dale games, you'll be very disappointed by Baldur's Gate's combat. At least Baldur's Gate II's. Which would be a pity, you just can't go playing the best RPG ever while thinking how much you hate the combat. Which is actually quite fun, when not compared to Icewind Dale II.

I would play Temple of Elemental Evil, but last time I tried it the scrolling was awfully slow.

Zell on
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Apostate wrote: »
    I would aslo strongly recommend the fan patches for TOEE. There's one out there that is very nice and adds some cut content back in as well as fixing most of the bugs.

I don't remember what it's called off the top of my head but it was pretty easy to find with Google IIRC.

http://www.co8.org/forum/

<3 Circle of Eight

Not only have those guys added a mugload of original content to the game (the original only let you go to level 10, they've pushed the cap to 20 with fully implemented spells and feats, etc) but they're almost finished with a complete Borderlands on the Keep mod that looks amazing.

Yep that's the one.

I heard about their work on the Keep mod but like all mods I'll get interested only when they have something playable. Here's hoping though!

Apostate on
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    When you get around to playing NWN, you can try the Hordes of the Underdark expansion as it's the best of the bunch, but since you already know the basics of how to play NWN my advice would be to play the following two community modules:

Darkness over Daggerford

http://www.ossianstudios.com/pages/games.html
    Darkness over Daggerford is a classic Dungeons & Dragons® module for BioWare's award-winning PC role-playing game Neverwinter Nights™. Taking place in the Forgotten Realms, the most popular of the D&D settings, and produced by former BioWare producer Alan Miranda, Darkness over Daggerford gives players a 25-30 hour RPG with a strong Baldur's Gate feel.

Developed by Ossian Studios for over a year (and previously a BioWare Premium Module), the game achieved instant success in the NWN community with a never before seen response at IGN's Neverwinter Vault, breaking records for meeting all Hall of Fame requirements in less than 3 days!

The Darkness over Daggerford development team is made up of some of the most talented members of the NWN community, including Kevin Smith (aka codepoetz), Luspr, Brian Watson (aka MadWombat), Alan Tarrant (aka Lord Alex), Anya Clancy (aka Lady Oonagh), and Brian Dunn (aka BrotherRoth).

Features :
    • A brand new world map system, never before seen in Neverwinter Nights, enabling the player to better explore a large world, complete with random encounters.
    • A player stronghold to enable more challenging stronghold quests, and featuring cool player customization features.
    • 3 new TNO tilesets created by DLA and released to Ossian Studios through an exclusive agreement with BioWare, including a completely new exterior tileset with rolling hills, sea cliffs, and castles.
    • A custom spawning and leveling system for creatures, to always ensure the game is challenging for any level of character.
    • Over 100 new placeables made specifically for the game.
    • 5 new music tracks by premium module composer David John.

To many, the town of Daggerford is of little consequence. To others, however, it is of immeasurable value. The nearby great cities of Waterdeep and Baldur's Gate would do well to look over their shoulders at what is brewing in this once sleepy town. Prepare to delve into the dark mysteries surrounding Daggerford...

And when you're done with that, lose yourself in...

The Aielund Saga

http://www.lds.liquidannihilation.com/savant/

"...In the Kingdom of Aielund, trouble is brewing. While the King leads an army against enemies in the far west, the poorly-protected realm is under attack from brigands, goblinoids, and barbarians from the east. And rumours of a conspiracy are growing as the remaining military forces do little to stem the tide. Into this vacuum of power steps a small band of daring individuals, who must try to keep the region intact while tracking down the conspirators who seek to divide up the land for themselves..."

I can tell you from my own personal experience that playing through the Aielund saga was one of the best gaming experiences I've had. It's one of the few modules for NwN that produced genuine emotional responses from me to events in the game. I wish I could explain them but I'd give away huge plot spoilers, so I'm not even comfortable posting them in spoiler tags. :lol:

I really can't recommend Aielund enough; I had a great time with it, and for me it's probably the best NwN story I've ever played.

This isn't meant to slight Daggerford, because it was also excellent and I enjoyed it as well. Just not as much as Aielund. :P

citizen059 on
  • MundaneSoulMundaneSoul fight fighter Daehan MingukRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    citizen059 wrote: »
    nwn stuff

Yeah, the player-created content for NWN was leaps and bounds beyond the original campaign (even with the expansions). Aielund and DoD are both brilliant, but that's only scratching the surface - there are literally dozens of top notch player-created mods for NWN that add an almost infinite amount of replayability. I don't think I'll ever be able to play all of the ones that I want to try.

Along with DoD and Aielund, you've got to try Citadel, Dragon Dominant, Caereena: Krakona Rising, and Almraiven and so, so many more.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    However, my Barbarian fought Sarevok man to man because thats how he rolls.

Must've been tough to pull off with his balls dragging on the ground. :D

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • citizen059citizen059 hello my name is citizen I'm from the InternetRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    nwn stuff

Yeah, the player-created content for NWN was leaps and bounds beyond the original campaign (even with the expansions). Aielund and DoD are both brilliant, but that's only scratching the surface - there are literally dozens of top notch player-created mods for NWN that add an almost infinite amount of replayability. I don't think I'll ever be able to play all of the ones that I want to try.

Along with DoD and Aielund, you've got to try Citadel, Dragon Dominant, Caereena: Krakona Rising, and Almraiven and so, so many more.

Duly noted; I'll look at those tomorrow evening when I have some free time at home.

citizen059 on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Citizen059, I am going to high five you through my computer monitor at approximately 5:00 PM EST for mentioning the Aielund Saga.

BE THERE OR BE SQUARE.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
    edited March 2008
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Citizen059, I am going to high five you through my computer monitor at approximately 5:00 PM EST for mentioning the Aielund Saga.

BE THERE OR BE SQUARE.

I know, right?

Seriously...
    Don't read this unless you've finished the entire saga.
    I'm fucking serious, don't open these if you haven't played it yourself.
    I'm not kidding. You were warned.
    ...in the later acts, when I was forced to kill a former companion because he refused to turn his back on his obviously-insane king. I couldn't fault him for doing his duty to king and country, but I hated that he had to die because of it.

Then, when Criosa tearfully left to marry the king of the opposing nation instead of marrying my character, because it was the only way to save what was left of her shattered kingdom, I was both crushed and enraged. Crushed by the loss, because until then it'd been an enjoyable "romance" substory that wasn't overly dramatic and poorly written; it was a sudden plot twist that I wasn't ready for and it really caught me off guard...excellently done, even though I was sitting there going "NO! That's not FAIR!".

Then enraged at the manipulation and betrayal of the enemy king...and my only thought at that moment was "please, let me have one chance to cleave him in two and get her back".

Bringing the arrogant fool down and reclaiming Criosa was one of the more satisfying parts of the game. ;)

It's not often that a game is successful at making me care about the characters and what happens to them...this series did just that.

citizen059 on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I now have glass in my hand from high fiving you so hard.

So hard

That series was truly glorious, if you enjoyed the Aielund Saga Citizen I suggest you look up the MTS Trilogy. Good times, ESPECIALLY with a friend. It starts at level 15 and goes all the way into the mid 30s of epicness. Enjoyable stuff, over the top but just the right amount. Re-emphasis: Do it with one or two buddies. Multiplayer makes it perfect.

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
  • AxenAxen My avatar is Excalibur. Yes, the sword.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    However, my Barbarian fought Sarevok man to man because thats how he rolls.

Must've been tough to pull off with his balls dragging on the ground. :D

Eh, not really. He wore a Nut Bra of Badassery.

Axen on
    A Capellan's favorite sheath for any blade is your back.
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can tell you from my own personal experience that playing through the Aielund saga was one of the best gaming experiences I've had. It's one of the few modules for NwN that produced genuine emotional responses from me to events in the game. I wish I could explain them but I'd give away huge plot spoilers, so I'm not even comfortable posting them in spoiler tags. :lol:
    Man, I don't know. I can't remember the last time I was really emotionally attached to any characters or story in a videogame. It's almost sad. I'm racking my brain because I thought there was one recently, but all I can think of is S.T.A.L.K.E.R., which was more of my own involvement in the game rather than a story.

Did this Aielund mod have more JRPG-style emotional tugs? Heck, even western RPGs are falling flat for me lately. Sometimes I feel like slapping Atton Rand, Dak'kon, and Aribeth. What's weird is that even a cheap war movie or lame fantasy book can draw a lot out of me.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Archgarth wrote: »
    So does anybody else dream about Bioware doing Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 in the Mass Effect engine, but with the original gameplay intact? Maybe shifting to 3rd edition rules? I would happily pay lots of monies for that game, especially with online co-op.

You shut your mouth right now. I've lived a life of broken dreams and I don't need to add another one to the list.

Edit: I'm in the middle of a cleric run right now. My first playthrough was as a mage. I can't believe this series started ten years ago. The problem with being a cleric is that some of my favorite NPCs are clerics as well, like Viconia and Tiax. I'm picking up Viconia soon, and I'll be rolling with a two cleric party.

Also, I did a bad thing yesterday.
    I killed Drizzt. His loot is too good to resist.

langfor6 on
  • BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Somehow I never really used my clerics to their fullest in bg2. Or even the druids, for that matter.

My main character was my main character, fullstop. He was a sorcerer or a mage or fighter or a rogue, and he always did the cool stuff. Clerics? They existed to heal him and bash skulls while he did it. Druids? Well. They buffed, a little. And turned into wolves, and ate some people. But that guy was the hero*.

Now, icewind dale? The characters were all my boys, and sometimes girls. They were members of an elite fighting squad, everyone was tinkered with and designed to work with one other. No one was expendable, save perhaps for the drow rogue1/magex who sucked for half the game and spent most of his time failing at using a magical bow to kill things before I found enough spells for him to use.

God damn was taking on the orcs epic. So epic. So awesome. Spells of all sorts just tearing shit up.

Sometimes I wish I could play bg2 that way, but touching the bioware characters too much feels icky. They're their own people, you know? I can't just go and micromanage them and rework their spell lists all the time. Thats Minsc, I can't fuck with him. He's the man, he has Boo. The miniature giant space hamster. They get the best armor and weapons I can find and off they go. That's Jaheira, you think she wants me to tell her to use barkskin all the time? Hell no, I value my hide!

Best rpgs ever, really.

* Baby chomping monster who got his kicks out of sunfiring in crowded rooms and petrifying children after turning their parents into squirrels and feeding them to his pet druid.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • CliffjumperCliffjumper Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    langfor6 wrote: »
    Archgarth wrote: »
    So does anybody else dream about Bioware doing Baldur's Gate 1 & 2 in the Mass Effect engine, but with the original gameplay intact? Maybe shifting to 3rd edition rules? I would happily pay lots of monies for that game, especially with online co-op.

You shut your mouth right now. I've lived a life of broken dreams and I don't need to add another one to the list.

Edit: I'm in the middle of a cleric run right now. My first playthrough was as a mage. I can't believe this series started ten years ago. The problem with being a cleric is that some of my favorite NPCs are clerics as well, like Viconia and Tiax. I'm picking up Viconia soon, and I'll be rolling with a two cleric party.

Also, I did a bad thing yesterday.
    I killed Drizzt. His loot is too good to resist.

Someone will be dropping by to see you soon...
    Elminster takes all the stuff you took from Drizzt...or was that in Baldurs Gate 1...or does that never happen? Been so long since I've played.

Cliffjumper on
    WarbotPromo-1-1-2.jpg

The Transformers Fandom: Consistantly bitching about something or another since 1984.

http://www.nuklearpower.com/2009/03/28/warbot_001/ - "WARBOT In Accounting"
  • harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Basil wrote: »
    Sometimes I wish I could play bg2 that way, but touching the bioware characters too much feels icky. They're their own people, you know? I can't just go and micromanage them and rework their spell lists all the time. Thats Minsc, I can't fuck with him. He's the man, he has Boo. The miniature giant space hamster. They get the best armor and weapons I can find and off they go. That's Jaheira, you think she wants me to tell her to use barkskin all the time? Hell no, I value my hide!
    Man you know you can create a full party of custom guys right? You start a multiplayer game and give yourself control of everybody and make a sweet death squad of all kensai mages to simultaneously cut and burn everything.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited March 2008
    ...Bugger. I remember reading that so very, very long ago. Years ago, before I'd even beaten it once. I completely forgot. I've replayed it a few times with single character story addons and all that jazz, but I always had those same old stock characters along. As much as I liked em, they really got boring by the end.

You know what this means.

Oh yes.

(And suddenly I don't have any free time anymore. Oh well!)

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • jotjot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    stuff about Aielund

Soo, I went to the site and discovered I need to download like a million hak-files and other stuff to actually play this. Are they going to affect other modules as well?

jot on
    edited March 2008
    jot wrote: »
    stuff about Aielund

Soo, I went to the site and discovered I need to download like a million hak-files and other stuff to actually play this. Are they going to affect other modules as well?

Nope. Haks are only accessed by the mods that need them. And once you get the main haks like CEP you'll only need to download a few here or there. Believe me, Aielund is worth the bit of extra time it takes to get the haks downloaded and installed.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • DaenrisDaenris Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    stuff about Aielund

No, hakpaks are only loaded by the mods that actually use them, so it won't affect anything else (unless they have something that needs to go into your override, which I suspect they don't).

Daenris on
    edited March 2008
    Hey guys Baldur's Gate via Tutu looks pretty badass at 1080p. Widescreen patch fixed all my graphics issues so I can finally play these games for the first time ever.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited March 2008
    Nice. I'm not running it widescreen but I just recently installed BG1/2 along with the BGT patch, so I'm running through the whole saga right now as a wild mage just for kicks.

Daenris on
    edited March 2008
    What's BGT precious? I'm getting a lot of weird hits when I search.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
    edited March 2008
    Baldur's Gate Trilogy. I think it's pretty much like the BG Tutu mod that allows you to play BG1 with the BG2 engine. I also installed a bunch of other mods adding new quests and whatnot.

Daenris on
  • OremLKOremLK Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    NWN can potentially last you forever. There are TONS of free modules out there to download and play, and the official campaign plus expansion packs plus official modules alone is somewhere around, oh, 150 hours of gameplay.

So play that last. And when you do play it, try Stefan Gagne's modules immediately. Especially Excrucio Eternum.

BG1 and BG2 are really good, but I may be the only person in the world that thinks Hordes of the Underdark (the NWN expansion) crushes them both. Definitely play through them though.

I found the IWD games very boring, but I'm not big on very combat-heavy RPGs.

Haven't played the rest.

OremLK on
    My zombie survival life simulator They Don't Sleep is out now on Steam if you want to check it out.
  • DamascusxieDamascusxie Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I always liked the tactical encounter along with my RP. Hordes of the Underdark, while it had a pretty decent story suffered from the problem that NWN had for me - lack of actual fun combat. Soloing an encounter just isn't as fun as spreading out your entire party, planning every stage of what will happen, and having the plan converge together into a perfect conclusion. Also I enjoyed the mage-shield countering tactics that were needed in BG2 (remove magic - true sight - breach, then go in to pound him until the monster chain contengicies a new wave of protections and you need to use a different set of dispels to get through it)

And I played a Cleric in NWN, man Heal/Harm was crazy powerful.

Damascusxie on
    starlordsig1-2.jpg
  • jotjot Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Nope. Haks are only accessed by the mods that need them. And once you get the main haks like CEP you'll only need to download a few here or there. Believe me, Aielund is worth the bit of extra time it takes to get the haks downloaded and installed.

No, hakpaks are only loaded by the mods that actually use them, so it won't affect anything else (unless they have something that needs to go into your override, which I suspect they don't).

Thanks guys, downloading now.

jot on
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So how good is ToEE with the latest circle of eight mod?

Is it reasonably playable without having the whole thing get weird or crash a lot? I remember I bought this when it came out and didn't have the patience to bother with it, but I really feel like playing a D&D game now, and I've already been through the infinity engine games and hate the NWN engine.

Jealous Deva on
  • Tim JamesTim James Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Is it reasonably playable without having the whole thing get weird or crash a lot? I remember I bought this when it came out and didn't have the patience to bother with it, but I really feel like playing a D&D game now, and I've already been through the infinity engine games and hate the NWN engine.
    Don't fret about the conventional wisdom. I played it recently and highly enjoyed it. Wah, wah, it's not very deep, but there was still shit to do in the few towns and dungeons that were there. Acquire some Zen with the fantasticly moody soundtrack, get ready for some entertaining combat, and go on a little adventure.

I used the Circle of Eight mod from a few months ago. I can't remember if there is a version like Bloodlines that only fixes bugs or if I used some rebalancing as well. It fixed the final boss fight to be the correct difficulty and stuff. Good experience with it overall.

Tim James on
    sig.gif
  • ApostateApostate Prince SpaceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

The only thing I noticed was some weird perfomance issues from time to time (one of the later levels specifically). But this was due to the engine and not any patches. It was fairly faithful IIRC and didn't add too many annoying fan stuff. The only annoying thing I remember was that they jacked up all the chests difficulty levels in order to pick them or bash them (I think they wanted to give a reason to have a thief around).

Apostate on
    edited March 2008

Thanks guys, downloading now.

Aielund is intended to be started with a brand new level 1 character, though I found that it can be to your benefit to start yourself at level 3 if you're a wiz/sorc, just to help survive the early levels better.

It eventually balances back out as you level up, so it's not like you're gaining a big advantage. It's up to the individual of course. ;-)

My last playthrough of Aielund was with a greatsword-wielding melee wizard. I used a lot of self buffs and my weapon through most of the areas, saving my big spells for the tougher encounters. It was a fun way to play a wizard; up on the front lines hacking away with the other melee types. :P

citizen059 on
    edited March 2008

I'm about halfway through the game with Co8 mod 5.0.5 and I haven't had a problem yet. I really like all of the changes they've made so far - I haven't found anything particularly obtrusive.

MundaneSoul on
    steam_sig.png
  • Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cool, I had a friend give me Fallout 1&2, Arcanum, and TOEE, so I guess I might try it out after I finish fallout.

Jealous Deva on
    edited March 2008
    Arcanum! Yes!

Such an awful user interface, but really quite a nice game. I will admit that my love of it stems largely from the presence of a handbag with razor blades on it that you can throw to decapitate people, but its charms are by no means limited to creative modification of the foul and fancy.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just picked up a collection of 8 D&D games, plus expansion packs, for a grand total of thirty bucks. In this game-starved hellhole of a country (Australia), this redefines bargain. I have but one question - which should I play first?

The pack includes;
    Neverwinter Nights and expansion packs. I already own NWN, actually, and have played a reasonable portion of it, but the expansion packs are new to me.
    Baldur's Gate 1 & 2, plus expansion packs.
    Icewind Dale 1 & 2, plus expansion packs.
    Dragonshard
    Demon Stone
    Temple of Elemental Evil.

So advise me. Which ones are the best? Which should I play first? Should I play Baldur's Gate 1 before 2, or is 2 just better? Same question, but with Icewind Dale? What the hell is Demon Stone? How much does it suck that I didn't also get Planescape? And anything else you feel needs to be said. Any help is appreciated.

MASS SUCKITUDE!

Though its probably for the best that you play PS:T last - It'll make the rest of them seem mediocre.

JohnDoe on
    edited March 2008
    Isn't it funny that we have this stepped ladder in our heads, each title with its place in the line? None of them are bad but they really shouldn't be played out of order.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i dont even consider baldur's gate 1, 2 + all applicable expansions to be separate games. they are one complete experience and with the price of those games new today all can easily be bought for much less than full games. you'll get 100+ hours out of them and love every second.

Playing Baldur's Gate is like a VISA application to be a PC gamer. I dont even consider people who havent played them to be true pc gamers. They're just illegal immigrants into the platform.

The_Scarab on
  • FilactairFilactair Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    100 hours? it took me 80 hours for BG2 alone by completing every side quest i could find (chaotic neutral ftw). Every other D&D video games I played after that felt shallow.

Filactair on
  • MgcwMgcw Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is just my opinion and I may be crazy, but I think a lot of the reason RPGs aren't as fleshed out anymore is the obsession with voice acting every line.

Mgcw on
    edited March 2008
    I agree with that. I don't really care about hearing the characters voice for every single bloody line, I skip ahead once I've read it anyway. It really limits the amount of dialogue possible.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg