As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Pentagon's shiny new ray gun

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hoz wrote: »
    Having recently read Gibbon's Decline and Fall of the Roman Empire
    which makes me a member of the cultural elite,
    I'm fairly certain that we either live in a golden age of non-violence or that the teleological fantasies of people like Robert Wright are true and our culture really is progressing. I'm not worried about the occasional slip as long as the trend it up.
    After we just came off the most brutal century in human history, I'm skeptical.
    You know we only killed the majority population of two developed cities that century. None of this "exterminate everyone in Jerusalem" stuff we had going before. Somehow it survived. Don't ask me how.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    WulfWulf Disciple of Tzeentch The Void... (New Jersey)Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Djinn wrote: »
    Because what Iraq really needs is a zappy-ray gun

Man, everything is better with a "zappy-ray gun"!:lol:

Wulf on
    Everyone needs a little Chaos!
  • Options
    Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    So, imagine getting hit with this thing. I wonder if it's targetted enough so that you'll just feel this insane burning in one spot, or if its area of effect will expand over a distance so that your entire body is in agony. How would you react? What if you didn't see it? Could you imagine the kind of fear that would cause if you didn't see it being whipped out but all the sudden you're in the immense, incalculable, intolerable pain?

Wonder_Hippie on
  • Options
    wawkinwawkin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Between this and the rail gun the navy built earlier in the year, we are set for WW3.

wawkin on
    Talkin to the robbery expert.

"This is where I say something profound and you bow, so lets just skip to your part."
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    We've been set for WWIII for a while now.

Hoz on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Weren't they having trouble with an earlier version of this and small metal/conductive things getting superheated... like buttons or buckles? What ever happened with that?

The article doesn't say, but it does note that the weapon has been tested more than 11,000 times over ten years, and out of all those tests they've had a grand total of six cases of targets developing rashes or blisters, with two more who got second-degree burns. Sounds pretty good to me.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    fjafjan wrote: »
    Also isn't this ancient news? i heard of this almost a year ago.
    It's been around longer than that. The machine hasn't been deployed yet, though. It has very low budget numbers compared to other, lethal systems. The military doesn't really have a large interest in non-lethal crowd control because their job isn't really non-lethal crowd control. They aren't police... but that's going off on a tangent that we could probably do, and have done, another thread on.
    I'm not saying that it couldn't or wouldn't be misused. I'm sure it will be misused with great prejudice, but remember that current non-lethal AND lethal weapons are commonly misused, and frankly I'd rather have a few seconds of pain leaving no significant after-effects than be tear-gassed or shot with a rubber bullet.
    Rubber bullets can easily kill you if you're hit in the head, and are probably one of the worst non-lethal deterrants available.
    IloroKamou wrote: »
    New technology demands further study and responsible governance; we can't just drop it because of potential abuses. Otherwise we wouldn't have nuclear reactors or stem cell advancements.
    Both of which, ironically enough, we've essentially dropped because of potential abuses.
    Nuclear reactors weren't dropped because of potential abuses. They were dropped because of stuff like Three Mile Island and because people thought that if a reactor went into meltdown that it'd be like the Hiroshima bomb. Also, nuclear power is making a comeback in the US. Technology has advanced to the point where waste is being limited and there are a lot of regulated failsafes so that Three Mile and Chernobyl-type incidents can be minimized. It's also helping that there is a whole new generation of voters and politicians out who are more concerned with the long term damage of fossil fuels than of reactors. In Europe and Asia, reactors never really stopped coming up.

GungHo on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Vert1 wrote: »
    It's 2008 and we're still stuck using Atari joystick technology. Our troops deserve better.

You should join the British army.

We're next gen:

360uav.jpg

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So the important question is: how do we make it lethal?

I mean, an invisible field of pain is one thing, but an invisible beam that leaves only ashes in its wake...

TL DR on
  • Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    moniker wrote: »
    Well, each plant needs more than 1 engineer, but maybe it was technicians then. Regardless we're slated to put up a dozen plants over the next decade. I know Texas is going to be one of the first with NRG and I'm pretty sure Com-Ed/Exelon are planning on replacing and adding at least one in Illinois. Which is great, because we only get 50% of our power from nukes at the moment.

We're at 20% with 104 reactors. I don't know where you're getting your numbers from. Regardless, yes, we should definitely be adding more reactors.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    WordsworthWordsworth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So what if somebody strapped you to a chair with this thing pointed at you and turned it on?

"Oh, it doesn't hurt if you move out of the beam. What's that? You can't move? I guess you'd better tell us what you know, then."

Yeah, should be just fine.

Wordsworth on
    Xbox LIVE: Wordsworth IV
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wordsworth wrote: »
    So what if somebody strapped you to a chair with this thing pointed at you and turned it on?

"Oh, it doesn't hurt if you move out of the beam. What's that? You can't move? I guess you'd better tell us what you know, then."

They can strap you to a chair and peel away your skin with a knife, too. Much cheaper. What's your point?

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, each plant needs more than 1 engineer, but maybe it was technicians then. Regardless we're slated to put up a dozen plants over the next decade. I know Texas is going to be one of the first with NRG and I'm pretty sure Com-Ed/Exelon are planning on replacing and adding at least one in Illinois. Which is great, because we only get 50% of our power from nukes at the moment.

We're at 20% with 104 reactors. I don't know where you're getting your numbers from. Regardless, yes, we should definitely be adding more reactors.

Illinois has 49% of its electricity generated by 6 nuclear plants (with a 7th in Zion being dismantled basically now), 49% by coal, and 2% by 'other' and I'm pretty sure Com-Ed/Exelon owns all the nukes. I highly doubt Ameren would have any down south since that's coal country to begin with, and largely a low population density.

Also, the Chicago Tribune, Economist, Wikipedia, and just from living here. Where are you getting yours?

moniker on
  • Options
    FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

They can strap you to a chair and peel away your skin with a knife, too. Much cheaper. What's your point?

The fact that the weapon could potentially be misused is irrelevant. What ought to be considered is whether it would lend itself to misuse to a much greater degree than other weapons. Since this thing is big and mounted on a humvee, it's not exactly convenient for illicit interrogations.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

The fact that the weapon could potentially be misused is irrelevant. What ought to be considered is whether it would lend itself to misuse to a much greater degree than other weapons. Since this thing is big and mounted on a humvee, it's not exactly convenient for illicit interrogations.

Especially not compared with a bucket and some saran wrap.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, these points about upgrading it to lethal potential or using it for torture are unoriginal. We've already got more tools for torture and death than brown people to use them on.

Hoz on
  • Options
    CycophantCycophant Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The system itself is a pretty neat idea, and it certainly seems more useful than a lot of the other "non-lethal" weapons out there.

The Wiki article is a pretty decent read on it, too. Though I think the first time I saw the weapon was on that god-awful TV show "Future Weapons". Ignore the host, but this clip shows how it works, and how it affects people. It doesn't appear all that "painful" per se, it just seems to give the brain enough pain signals to kick in the "get the hell out of here" response.

Yes obviously, like anything else in the world, it's totally up for abuse. But it looks like it's a much better solution to certain problems than anything else that exists these days.

Cycophant on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, these points about upgrading it to lethal potential or using it for torture are unoriginal. We've already got more tools for torture and death than brown people to use them on.

A directed energy weapon definitely has advantages over conventional techniques. Not to say it is without disadvantages, which would include prohibitive cost and power use right now.

But again, leaving only the scorched remains of targets instead of a bunch of depleted uranium can't be a bad thing.

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Illinois has 49% of its electricity generated by 6 nuclear plants (with a 7th in Zion being dismantled basically now), 49% by coal, and 2% by 'other' and I'm pretty sure Com-Ed/Exelon owns all the nukes. I highly doubt Ameren would have any down south since that's coal country to begin with, and largely a low population density.

Also, the Chicago Tribune, Economist, Wikipedia, and just from living here. Where are you getting yours?

Oh, you're talking about Illinois. I thought you were talking about The United States.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lethal lasers would only be practical when directed from sky to ground.

Hoz on
  • Options
    a penguina penguin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You people are missing the important question, which is ," Does it come in 'Box' form?"

"Put your hand in the box".

"What's in the box?"
    Pain.

a penguin on
    This space eventually to be filled with excitement
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    a penguin wrote: »
    You people are missing the important question, which is ," Does it come in 'Box' form?"

"Put your hand in the box".

"What's in the box?"
    Pain.

I almost made a "Fear is the mindkiller" joke at the start of the thread. Anyway, someone earlier linked a desktop version of the device, which I think has multitude of potential uses for the office.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Well, for one, it's easier to prove that "hey, that guy removed all my skin with that knife which has my blood all over it" than "hey, that guy put me in his magic agony booth" in a court.
    Agony_Booth-2267.jpg

GungHo on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    GungHo wrote: »
    Well, for one, it's easier to prove that "hey, that guy removed all my skin with that knife which has my blood all over it" than "hey, that guy put me in his magic agony booth" in a court.
    Agony_Booth-2267.jpg

This seems like a good problem to have.

Dracomicron on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Agony_Booth-2267.jpg

I do not disagree.

However, it is hard to put the skin back on.

GungHo on
  • Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Agony_Booth-2267.jpg

I do not disagree.

Plus cutting off someones skin leaves evidence.

The_Scarab on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm fairly certain that we either live in a golden age of non-violence or that the teleological fantasies of people like Robert Wright are true and our culture really is progressing. I'm not worried about the occasional slip as long as the trend it up.

Whoa. I don't think it was the most brutal. The historical record suggests that no one even argued about torture 400 years ago. But you're right. Things look a bit messy right now.

themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Actually thinking about it any type of government that would use this weapon to oppress it's people would probably just use guns instead anyway.

Now for an SE++ level question: What if they point it at your balls though? Will you go sterile?

I'd say that's actually a fairly legitimate question.

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

Whoa. I don't think it was the most brutal. The historical record suggests that no one even argued about torture 400 years ago. But you're right. Things look a bit messy right now.
    For my money, I go with the 13th century. Fourth through 9th Crusades, Genghis Khan's prime, Baghdad gets burned to the ground, couple Chinese dynasties go by, rockets, landmines and handguns come into use... it was pretty bad.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Agony_Booth-2267.jpg

I do not disagree.

I think the point is that you're unlikely to be saying, "Well, I'm being tortured. But at least they don't have a harmless pain ray!"

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Adrien wrote: »
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    Agony_Booth-2267.jpg

I do not disagree.

I think the point is that you're unlikely to be saying, "Well, I'm being tortured. But at least they don't have a harmless pain ray!"

That's certainly one aspect, because if I had to be tortured and could choose the method, something that's pure pain with theoretically no physical detriment would be my easy choice. As well, we already have plenty of torture techniques that are difficult to impossible to prove (seriously, prove you were waterboarded), and worrying about proving torture only matters anyway when the people we're torturing are allowed to state their case, which is certainly not what's happening now.
    mtvcdm wrote: »

For my money, I go with the 13th century. Fourth through 9th Crusades, Genghis Khan's prime, Baghdad gets burned to the ground, couple Chinese dynasties go by, rockets, landmines and handguns come into use... it was pretty bad.

Fuck yeah, 13th Century.

Cervetus on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    Ethan SmithEthan Smith Origin name: Beart4to Arlington, VARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    Okay, this is supposed too be non-lethal but let me ask a question: Could this thing cause long-term damage to a person? What about if it's used multiple times against that person?

I hope that's not really stupid question.

Can't say if you don't try.

Time to unleash these things on Guantanamo, and see how the reports are.

Ethan Smith on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cycophant wrote: »
    Ignore the host, but this clip shows how it works, and how it affects people. It doesn't appear all that "painful" per se, it just seems to give the brain enough pain signals to kick in the "get the hell out of here" response.

42 seconds in, is the guy controlling a unmanned aircraft with an Xbox 360 controller?

Delzhand on
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I do not disagree.

Which just leaves pretty much all of these methods.

Oh, and now a magic pain ray.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So we're all in agreement this is a fine non-lethal weapon for crowd control, but the fear is that it'll be used for torture?

Man, I recall in my lifetime thinking that worrying about American use of torture was ridiculous and would never happen.

Sigh.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Then you weren't paying attention. Read the article I posted a link to. Democracies are the innovators of torture, as they always have to stay one step ahead of the free press and public perception (no marks, no outrage, generally).

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So we're all in agreement this is a fine non-lethal weapon for crowd control, but the fear is that it'll be used for torture?

Man, I recall in my lifetime thinking that worrying about American use of torture was ridiculous and would never happen.

Sigh.

I'm really much more worried about the possibility for some jackass to make one out of Radio Shack parts. As long as they keep using words like "superconducting", I'm not too concerned.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    CervetusCervetus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Sigh.

Really? People actually thought that?

Cervetus on
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    themightypuck on
    “Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck