As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

LewiePs Mummy painting for Penny Arcade forum. NSF56k

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    That's not you being old, that's stupid kids being interviewed.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • CentipeedCentipeed Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Who in their right mind can say that CD is an old technology? Mojo is right.

Centipeed on
  • ZarcathZarcath Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    The only music device i'd consider out of public knowledge with youngsters is an 8-track. and maybe Beta videos.

Zarcath on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Hey. That laharl painting is pretty sweet.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited February 2008
    Centipeed wrote: »
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Who in their right mind can say that CD is an old technology? Mojo is right.

Well, to be fair, the CD is like 20+ years old at this point.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • HylianbunnyHylianbunny Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Just ask - it will be after Christmas this year though! Check out the deal at the beginning of the tgread, if ouy're up for that, and are happy to wait til after Christmas, let me know, I'll add you to the list.

Definitely. (I suppose I have a lot of time to decide what I'm looking for, too. :lol:)

Hylianbunny on
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Better late than never!

Amongst my other 'art' (which now pales in comparison):

IMG_0200.jpg

And along with it's little brother (guest hand modeling from my fiance)

IMG_0201.jpg

Once again I say awesome and thanks to MrsP!

Laharl looks damn great as well.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You should try to get a frame for that one day, Jam. :)

Aldo on
  • LewieP's MummyLewieP's Mummy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This might sound daft, but whenever I see the pics I've painted on someone's wall, well, I can't really explain it, but I feel all warm and fuzzy. Thank you.

Anyway, here's the start of Melatonin's picture, including the original I'm copying.

http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/45121/2004769602577123454_rs.jpg
    FF VII

Pencil outline:
    http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/46635/2004729608564805101_rs.jpg

Close-up of the lions:
    http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/45635/2004731633102968268_rs.jpg

I could do with some help with a close-up of the lions, the image I'm working from is a bit dark and difficult to see - I don't want legs/arms in the wrong place, so any help would be fab. I've already googled and only found the same image, or a more cartoony drawing of Red thingy, and nothing of the stone lion.

Thanks already, I know I can rely on you people for help.

LewieP's Mummy on
    For all the top UK Gaming Bargains, check out SavyGamer

For paintings in progress, check out canvas and paints

"The power of the weirdness compels me."
    edited March 2008
    Zarcath wrote: »
    The only music device i'd consider out of public knowledge with youngsters is an 8-track. and maybe Beta videos.
    Sadly, I remember both, but in my defence, it was my parents' car that had the 8 track - we used to listen to the Beatles, Tony Bennett and Glen Miller on it, on 3 hour drives to West Cumbria, where I'm from.

LewieP's Mummy on

edited March 2008
    This might sound daft, but whenever I see the pics I've painted on someone's wall, well, I can't really explain it, but I feel all warm and fuzzy. Thank you.

Anyway, here's the start of Melatonin's picture, including the original I'm copying.

http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/45121/2004769602577123454_rs.jpg
    FF VII

Pencil outline:
    http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/46635/2004729608564805101_rs.jpg

Close-up of the lions:
    http://aycu36.webshots.com/image/45635/2004731633102968268_rs.jpg

I could do with some help with a close-up of the lions, the image I'm working from is a bit dark and difficult to see - I don't want legs/arms in the wrong place, so any help would be fab. I've already googled and only found the same image, or a more cartoony drawing of Red thingy, and nothing of the stone lion.

Thanks already, I know I can rely on you people for help.

I decided to do this again, because I did it with my own painting, and it seemed to help some:

Legs.jpg

Centipeed on
    edited March 2008
    You are WONDERFUL!!!!!! Thank you!!!!!!!!!!

LewieP's Mummy on

edited March 2008
    OK, here's the sky and moon - I'm not happy with the moon, the colour's not right, so I'm letting it dry and will try again.

http://aycu27.webshots.com/image/46426/2005598041512150548_rs.jpg

and slightly further out:

http://aycu09.webshots.com/image/47888/2005566269282396466_rs.jpg

For anyone in AC who could offer suggestions (please!) I used white, cerulian blue, a dot of cyan yellow and a tiny bit of silver. I can't make it zingy enough, and would really appreciate help.

Thank you.

LewieP's Mummy on

• beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    well i wouldn't really suggest trying to get it to look exactly like the moon pictured, i think you can actually do a better job
    right now, what's not working is the texturing, you've got circular brush strokes, i'd cut in with some texturing, use references of the actual moon, it'll really make the image look much nicer in my opinion.
    also you need to add in a glow. it doesn't look like it's glowing enough.

beavotron on
    edited March 2008
    Thank you. you're right about the circular strokes.

I'm having to use an image on my laptop, as printing it out turned the moon green! Or do you mean our moon, i.e. up in the sky at night, as opposed to the moon in the picture? (sometimes I can be very dense and misunderstand people!)

Do you have any ideas about how I could make the moon glow?

LewieP's Mummy on

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Thank you. you're right about the circular strokes.

I'm having to use an image on my laptop, as printing it out turned the moon green! Or do you mean our moon, i.e. up in the sky at night, as opposed to the moon in the picture? (sometimes I can be very dense and misunderstand people!)

Do you have any ideas about how I could make the moon glow?
    Considering the moon in that picture doesn't have any texture: the former.

I can't really offer any helpful advice on how to get the glow done as I am horrible at painting. Isn't the usual idea to make the area around the glowing object slightly lighter in colour than the area that falls outside the glow?

Aldo on
  • gilraingilrain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am not looking at the reference picture, but offhand I'd say maybe use less yellow or lose it altogether -- it's giving your moon a greenish tinge. I always think of moons as white or blue. There are yellow moons too, but if that's what you want then I'd lose the blue.

gilrain on
  • DeeLockDeeLock Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It would be great if you could scale down the pictures and post them in the thread itself, you might get more critiques if you do so.

2005566269282396466_rs.jpg

The main think keeping your moon from looking like it is glowing is that the edge is too sharp.

Soften up the edge and make it brighter and you may be well on your way to making a bright and shiny moon!

I also agree with beavo that the texture isn't helping...

I did do a quick paintover...maybe just for fun...who knows...

2005598041512150548_rs.jpg

It will be interesting to see how you handle the two light sources.

Cheers

DeeLock on
    edited March 2008
    DeeLock, that is awesome! I absolutely love what you've done.

LewieP's Mummy on

• Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Mrs. P, I've been following this thread a bit knowing that one day I was going to ask you to add me to the queue. Sounds like it's about a year wait now? That's okay. :) Your work is amazing for so many reasons and being able to select an image myself makes it so much more personal.

I've finally settled on an image from a game who's story is very close to me. Are you still accepting people into the queue?

Nova_C on
  • MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Mrs. P, I've been following this thread a bit knowing that one day I was going to ask you to add me to the queue. Sounds like it's about a year wait now? That's okay. :) Your work is amazing for so many reasons and being able to select an image myself makes it so much more personal.

I've finally settled on an image from a game who's story is very close to me. Are you still accepting people into the queue?

I just got in for February 2009, so I think she is.

MegaMan001 on
    I am in the business of saving lives.
    edited March 2008
    Obviously, she's making these at her own pace, but she seems to be going much quicker than estimated. I got put in the queue for August, but I'm apparently next up after this current painting.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Nova_C, thank you. Yes I'm still accepting requests, and yes, the queue has reached Feb 09 (MegaMan001), and yes, Bionic Monkey is next.

This is because although I planned to do one a month, just so I don't spend all my spare time painting for PA, I'm really enjoying painting, so I am actually spending lots of spare time painting! This may change, so I'm going to stick to the 1 per month plan for taking new people onto the list, that way no-one will be disappointed about having to wait, but may be surprised by their picture being finished earlier than they thought it would be.

MegaMan001 asked about the size of painting - something I've never thought about, I just paint on a canvas that's A2 size (4 x A4, normal printer paper), except for Zarcath's Larhal, because of the shape of the image, I used a longer, narrower canvas. If anyone wants a different size, please let me know, otherwise your picture will be on A2 canvas, as I've a stock of these. Larger pictures would cost more to post, smaller ones less, but not that much difference in time, I think.

LewieP's Mummy on

edited March 2008
    Nova_C, thank you. Yes I'm still accepting requests, and yes, the queue has reached Feb 09 (MegaMan001), and yes, Bionic Monkey is next.

This is because although I planned to do one a month, just so I don't spend all my spare time painting for PA, I'm really enjoying painting, so I am actually spending lots of spare time painting! This may change, so I'm going to stick to the 1 per month plan for taking new people onto the list, that way no-one will be disappointed about having to wait, but may be surprised by their picture being finished earlier than they thought it would be.

MegaMan001 asked about the size of painting - something I've never thought about, I just paint on a canvas that's A2 size (4 x A4, normal printer paper), except for Zarcath's Larhal, because of the shape of the image, I used a longer, narrower canvas. If anyone wants a different size, please let me know, otherwise your picture will be on A2 canvas, as I've a stock of these. Larger pictures would cost more to post, smaller ones less, but not that much difference in time, I think.

If anyone is curious, I opted for a 27 inch by 40 inch canvas (the size of your standard movie poster). Honestly, I am so impressed with LewieP's Mummy work that I want this thing to stand out on my wall and people think "Sweet Merciful crap that thing is gorgeous". Then I will smile and swirl my brandy in my snifter while shrugging ever so slightly in my smoking jacket.

MegaMan001 on
  • LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, Im seriously considering doing this and I was wondering, do you only do video game work or is that just a result of offering this deal to video game geeks?

Lardalish on
    edited March 2008
    Basically, I just copy whatever people have asked me to paint (so right now, geek stuff, which is fun). I can copy OK, but I'm not that good at doing stuff from scratch. I have done some water colours in the past, I've a couple of pictures up at home, I'll post them at some point. The stuff I'm painting here is in acrylic - its a good medium to use, cos you can use it thick like oils, or diluted like water colour paints.

Somewhere else in this thread is a list of what I won't paint, and I should also say I'm not that great at faces. I need clear images to work from, the more detailed, the better, and the next available space is March 09.

LewieP's Mummy on

• LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok, that actually sounds find, I remember seeing the list of what you wont paint, no gory stuff or anything like that. I went to Hawaii last summer and theres a couple pictures that I took that Im considering. So it'd be nature shots and such. Ill be getting larger resolutions of them soon, so Ill make a decision, email you the picture, and jump into the queue!

Lardalish on
    edited March 2008
    Well, here's some more of Melatonin's picture - yes, I've bottled (or choked, depending on which side of the pond you're on) the moon, I'm going to try it again on Monday. I've painted it whiter, ready for a pale cerulian blue wash, so let's hope that improves it. I'll also soften the edge as well.

The whole picture

http://aycu02.webshots.com/image/44921/2000051975745631713_rs.jpg

Slightly closer

http://aycu01.webshots.com/image/48320/2000099264359776586_rs.jpg

Close-up of the lions

http://aycu30.webshots.com/image/44629/2000087065887801813_rs.jpg

I'll ask LewieP to sort out making the images visible in this post - I've forgotten how to do that!

LewieP's Mummy on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    2000051975745631713rscfap5.jpg

2000099264359776586rsbv7.jpg

2000087065887801813rsgy4.jpg

LewieP on
  • melatoninmelatonin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I... completely lack the vocabulary required to state exactly how excited I am right now. It is a task set outside of my abilities.

Thank you so, so, so much for this. I absolutely love what you've done with Red XIII's tail, and how the flame just bounces off his tail into the rock. And, and, and, Seto's stone-set back reflecting the moonlight... Cannot wait until I can lay eyes on it in person.

melatonin on
    edited March 2008
    Personally I don't see any need to re-paint the moon. The texture was more noticeable before but now it's whiter, and better. I think you can leave it how it is.

Centipeed on
    edited March 2008
    Well, here's the finished FF VII for Melatonin, I'll be posting it on Wednesday.

http://aycu01.webshots.com/image/44880/2006070928139671691_rs.jpg

And slightly different lighting

http://aycu12.webshots.com/image/47891/2006063498468365832_rs.jpg

And here's its baby brother - I decided to try to do the sky more like DeeLock did - couldn't really but hey ho, I tried. Anyway, this picture is A3 size, and is up for grabs, same deal as the others, so if you want it, PM/email me.

http://aycu26.webshots.com/image/47345/2006039001945443387_rs.jpg

I'll ask LewieP to post the images, still can't remember how to do that!

LewieP's Mummy on

edited March 2008
    Hey, LP's Mum, those look fantastic. Both look great in their own right.

Since I'm up next, if you e-mail me your mailing address, I'll send you a high quality print-out of my picture for you to reference from.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Well, here's the finished FF VII for Melatonin, I'll be posting it on Wednesday.

2006070928139671691rstt3.jpg

And slightly different lighting

2006063498468365832rsrc3.jpg

And here's its baby brother - I decided to try to do the sky more like DeeLock did - couldn't really but hey ho, I tried. Anyway, this picture is A3 size, and is up for grabs, same deal as the others, so if you want it, PM/email me.

2006039001945443387rsbz9.jpg

LewieP on
    edited March 2008
    Holy shit.

That is gorgeous. I'd hang that in my apartment with pride.

MegaMan001 on
    edited March 2008
    It's going pride of place in my bedroom, and every time I look at it, I shall start whistling the theme to Cosmo Canyon.

Needless to say, I am happy.

melatonin on
    edited March 2008
    By the way, can I join the queue for another painting. I think I want a painting of the weighted companion cube.

By the time it gets around to me, I will have had time to reflect on whether or not it is a good idea, but I am pretty sure it is.

LewieP on
    edited March 2008
    The fact that you among all of us still feel the need to ask amuses me greatly.

melatonin on
    edited March 2008
    LewieP wrote: »
    By the way, can I join the queue for another painting. I think I want a painting of the weighted companion cube.

By the time it gets around to me, I will have had time to reflect on whether or not it is a good idea, but I am pretty sure it is.

I don't think this is a bad idea, but I'm not sure if any medium, be it painting or literature, can fully demonstrate the range of the Weighted Companion Cube.

MegaMan001 on
    edited March 2008
    melatonin wrote: »
    The fact that you among all of us still feel the need to ask amuses me greatly.
    Ah , but that just shows how well he knows me ... no queue jumpers here!

LewieP's Mummy on