As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Phoenix Wright now coming to... the PC?

subediisubedii Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Games and Technology
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1308#more-1308

Yes you read it Wright, they're going to be releasing episodic content of the first game for Japan. There's no word yet on whether there will be an English language option as in the DS version, but here's hoping. Assuming it does well over there, we might see more of it, and in particular, more of it over here.

All in all, the episodes combined should cost around £10. That's £10 for the first game, which is quite good, considering you don't have the convenience of playing it on a portable or anything.

subedii on

• LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    and people say PC gaming is dead.

LewieP on
  • subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can't say I know too much about this, but didn't the game sell poorly in Japan? Or is that just a rumour I heard?

subedii on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    subedii wrote: »
    I can't say I know too much about this, but didn't the game sell poorly in Japan? Or is that just a rumour I heard?

NeoGAF sales-age to the rescue! Ranked in order from highest to lowest selling:

Apollo Justice NDS 515,417
    Phoenix Wright DS NDS 315,966
    Phoenix Wright 2 GBA 171,187
    Phoenix Wright 3 DS NDS 170,826
    Phoenix Wright 2 DS NDS 164,484
    Phoenix Wright 3 GBA 161,893
    Phoenix Wright GBA 128,601

(Credit goes to ethelred)

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • Dr. FaceDr. Face King of Pants Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Do I need 2 monitors?

Dr. Face on
    jswidget.php?username=DrFace&numitems=10&text=none&images=small&show=top10&imagepos=left&inline=1&imagewidget=1.png
    edited March 2008
    Pureauthor wrote: »

Wow. It might just be me, but those do seem kind of low for console sales. Are these kinds of figures standard for DS sales? I thought games usually sell a lot more units than that in Japan. Of course, I don't really have much to compare it with, so who knows.

I just would've expected it to ship more considering how everyone talks about it here.

subedii on
  • TimestonesTimestones Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You have to consider that these are handheld games, and more than likely cost a lot less to develop than most other types of games out there. So while the sales might not seem like much compared to the heavy hitters like Pokémon or New Super Mario Bros. I'm willing to bet these sales are high enough to make the series profitable for Capcom.

Timestones on
  • HazzHazz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Timestones wrote: »
    You have to consider that these are handheld games, and more than likely cost a lot less to develop than most other types of games out there. So while the sales might not seem like much compared to the heavy hitters like Pokémon or New Super Mario Bros. I'm willing to bet these sales are high enough to make the series profitable for Capcom.

Quite. I would imagine that the three DS Phoenix Wright games are probably the cheapest they ever had to make.

Hazz on
  • elkataselkatas Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Of course, I don't really have much to compare it with, so who knows.

According to Stardock, Galactic Civilzations II has so far sold 300 000 copies worldwide, and generated ten-digit figure in profit. And that game certainly had much bigger budget than any of the PW games. :)

elkatas on
    Hypnotically inclined.
    edited March 2008
    I guess I'm just used to seeing Dr. Kawashima in the chart every frigging week and expected other DS titles to sell similar numbers. But you're right. Lower cost with solid sales is just as good a combination.

subedii on
  • PureauthorPureauthor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can guarantee that Capcom is absolutely ecstatic about 500K+ sales for AJ:AA.

Pureauthor on
    SS FC: 1334 0950 5927
    Platinum FC: 2880 3245 5111
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Plus, keep in mind what sort of game Phoenix Wright is. Not only is it an old-school adventure game, a genre often considered no longer commercially viable, but a text adventure game. I think it's a testament to the quality of the PW games that they've sold as well as they have.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
    edited March 2008
    True, but I've always felt the DS is really well suited to adventure games.

Also, I'm not sure I'd call it a text adventure game as such. I know what you mean, but that just gives me throwbacks to games like HitchHikers and A Mind forever Voyaging. :lol:

subedii on
  • CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's more like a Japanese dating sim than any Western adventure game, but, yeah, there are similarities nonetheless. I think it's a wonderful series, and I'm glad it's doing so well. I adore my DS for bringing me non-conventional games.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • SzechuanosaurusSzechuanosaurus Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Will my Wacom tablet work with this game or am I going to have to buy one of those expensive fancy touchscreen laptops?

Szechuanosaurus on
    edited March 2008
    Will my Wacom tablet work with this game or am I going to have to buy one of those expensive fancy touchscreen laptops?

I can't imagine the interface will require anything more than a mouse. Most home PC users and laptops don't really come with touch screens.

subedii on
  • DeathPrawnDeathPrawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Remember that the original series was on the GBA... unless you're playing case 5 of the first PW or Apollo Justice, there's no reason to need anything more than a couple of buttons and some sort of directional control.

DeathPrawn on
    Signature not found.
  • DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not really that surprising...it's Capcom, and I'm pretty sure there was already a cell phone one anyways.

Darlan on
  • ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is hardly new ground, since the Gyakuten Saiban games (up to the third GBA iteration) have already been ported to the PC, albiet for Japan only. Although episodic content is interesting.

Zxerol on
  • RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Those are the Japanese numbers, but what about in the States or UK? I think it did pretty well here in the States.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • OrogogusOrogogus San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hazz wrote: »
    Timestones wrote: »

Quite. I would imagine that the three DS Phoenix Wright games are probably the cheapest they ever had to make.

I've heard that the licensing or profit for handhelds totally sucks for low sales games, though. Didn't Houk say something to that effect at some point?

Orogogus on
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    elkatas wrote: »

According to Stardock, Galactic Civilzations II has so far sold 300 000 copies worldwide, and generated ten-digit figure in profit. And that game certainly had much bigger budget than any of the PW games. :)

300,000 * 50 = 15,000,000 = 8 figures

Is my math wrong or something?

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    edited March 2008

No you're right. Stardock said it was 8 figures, I think Elkatas just accidentally misquoted.

subedii on
  • XiaNaphryzXiaNaphryz Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Siliconera has a good write-up on this:
    Daletto is helping Capcom port the three Game Boy Advance Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney) games into downloadable PC games. Instead of selling each complete game PC Saiban will be broken into episodes. The first piece from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney goes live on March 18 and it’s free to download. Future episodes cost 120 yen each, which is not the price per turnabout. The four chapters dealing with Wright, Edgeworth and the DL-6 incident are split into 17 parts. Since you only have to pay for 16 the total cost for the PC version is 1,920 yen ($18.75).

On April 15 Gyakuten Saiban 2 goes through the episodic knife with Gyakuten Saiban 3 following it on May 13. Each of these contain over twenty pieces, but like the initial episode of PC Saiban players can taste the first piece for free.

Capcom USA has announced no plans to release a North American equivalent. However, I imagine an episodic version for the Wii or the Xbox 360 would sell pretty well. It might even draw new fans into the growing series.

XiaNaphryz on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Darlan wrote: »
    Not really that surprising...it's Capcom, and I'm pretty sure there was already a cell phone one anyways.

Do you deny that this shit be bangin'?

Episodic content is the interesting part of this. Also, now I can object in surround-sound.

Henroid on
    edited March 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    Darlan wrote: »

Do you deny that this shit be bangin'?

Episodic content is the interesting part of this. Also, now I can object in surround-sound.

Sebben point one Surround sound!

subedii on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

No you're right. Stardock said it was 8 figures, I think Elkatas just accidentally misquoted.

that's revenue, not profit

meaning costs must have been < 5 mil.

Evander on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    so this stuff isn't new?

right?

right?!!

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
    edited March 2008
    I guess they will be redoing all the graphics, GBA/DS resolution sprites will not look nice blown up to a big monitor.

LewieP on
    edited March 2008
    I don't think they're going to bother with that. Although I do expect (or hope) that they'll at least provide the option to play in a window

subedii on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DX10 mode confirmed?

august on
  • ImpersonatorImpersonator Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    saiban02.jpg

saiban03.jpg

saiban04.jpg

saiban05.jpg

My Borders. Let me show you them.

Impersonator on
    edited March 2008
    Ahahaha...

Ha!

LewieP on
  • tarnoktarnok Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So a point and click adventure for a hand-held system is being remade for the PC.

Gentlemen, we are through the looking glass.

tarnok on
    Wii Code:
    0431-6094-6446-7088
  • UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Awful. They have lots of hi-res drawn art for this, go back and touch it up.

I want it like how Trauma Center was redone.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Wow. It might just be me, but those do seem kind of low for console sales. Are these kinds of figures standard for DS sales? I thought games usually sell a lot more units than that in Japan. Of course, I don't really have much to compare it with, so who knows.

I just would've expected it to ship more considering how everyone talks about it here.

What!?

Those are fantastic numbers for portable software, for just Japan. Especially the NDS games.

Console games require far higher numbers in sales because they cost more to develop and publish. A wii game might take 200k-250k to break even, a 360/PS3 game might need 400k-500k sales to break even. An NDS game? Selling over 100k is great news, especially if this was accomplished in a single country by itself. In fact, most portable games don't crack the 100k mark, at least not in a single country.

slash000 on
    edited March 2008
    slash000 wrote: »

What!?

Those are fantastic numbers for portable software, for just Japan. Especially the NDS games.

Console games require far higher numbers in sales because they cost more to develop and publish. A wii game might take 200k-250k to break even, a 360/PS3 game might need 400k-500k sales to break even. An NDS game? Selling over 100k is great news, especially if this was accomplished in a single country by itself. In fact, most portable games don't crack the 100k mark, at least not in a single country.

Would it kill you to read the rest of this short thread before flying off the handle? :lol:

subedii on
  • slash000slash000 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm not flying off the handle. That was just surprise, not handle-off-flying. I merely meant to shed some light on the differences between what is considered 'healthy' sales numbers for different situations.

I'm sorry you inferred the wrong tone of my post. Stupid text.. can't put inflections on text..

As far as the 'rest of the thread,' I had read it. But it really wasn't putting enough perspective on this. 100k+ sales in Japan is quite good for a portable game, and those NDS numbers are actually pretty astonishing. This is for a genre long considered dead. But seriously, the sales aren't "bad," they're not even 'mediocre.' They're actually really good on the GBA games, and incredibly good for the NDS games.

I put in the info about the consoles' relative 'break even' numbers for comparison. 130k would be bad for a console game in general, but not for a handheld game in a single territory. Adding those Japan numbers to worldwide numbers puts some of those NDS phoenix wright games really high up there.

slash000 on
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    XiaNaphryz wrote: »
    Siliconera has a good write-up on this:
    Daletto is helping Capcom port the three Game Boy Advance Gyakuten Saiban (Ace Attorney) games into downloadable PC games. Instead of selling each complete game PC Saiban will be broken into episodes. The first piece from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney goes live on March 18 and it’s free to download. Future episodes cost 120 yen each, which is not the price per turnabout. The four chapters dealing with Wright, Edgeworth and the DL-6 incident are split into 17 parts. Since you only have to pay for 16 the total cost for the PC version is 1,920 yen ($18.75).

On April 15 Gyakuten Saiban 2 goes through the episodic knife with Gyakuten Saiban 3 following it on May 13. Each of these contain over twenty pieces, but like the initial episode of PC Saiban players can taste the first piece for free.

Capcom USA has announced no plans to release a North American equivalent. However, I imagine an episodic version for the Wii or the Xbox 360 would sell pretty well. It might even draw new fans into the growing series.

What a horribly convoluted system. I guess they're breaking each game by the day, and charging for each? Why they don't just do it by case if they really want that kind of nickle-and-dime system is beyond me.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • l337CrappyJackl337CrappyJack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's Japan. Land of superviolent porn cartoons. They don't have to make sense, they just have to keep making Ace Attorney games.

l337CrappyJack on