As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Major Customer Service & Laptop Issues

WilDPanthA05WilDPanthA05 Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
Ok, I've wanted to ask for advice here for awhile, but just haven't really had the time and I guess I've been pretty naive, but here's the situation ...

I bought a new laptop from Alienware as a psuedo-college graduation present to myself and I invested quite a bit of change into it because I really haven't had a gaming PC in quite some time. I received it in the first week of January and since then, I have had to send it back to get repaired on 3 separate occasions for the same problem. I'm running dual video cards and when I restart my computer (or sometimes just try to boot it up) there isn't a visual. The computer is actually on and running because I can hear Vista starting up (yea yea I don't know why I got that either). So the issue is that I can't see a damn thing ...

My beef is that I have had this computer "in the shop" longer than I have actually had it and it has come back on two separate occasions with the exact same problem. It is supposed to come back tomorrow and I'm kinda apprehensive because I really don't know what course of action I should take if the same problem is still plaguing the damn thing ... Is this grounds for demanding my money back or at least getting a different computer? I've never really faced anything like this before so I'm whole-heartedly confused ...

EDIT: Also, from reading the referrals on this board I chose Alienware because I figured that they would have been a very reliable company. Has anyone else had any issues with them? Their customer service department has been ... extremely ... difficult to work with ...

WilDPanthA05 on

• Options
    CrashtardCrashtard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Customer service at "most" tech places is diffucult to work with. It took me a month of phone calls, 7 hours on the phone, and the threat of small claims court to finally get my defective monitor replaced by the company. Once you get it back, use it and see what happens. If (when) it breaks down again, call them and calmly explain to cust service that you'd like your laptop replaced and see what they say. If you don't get anywhere with that person, ask to talk to a manager and explain it to that person. The only real decision the customer service peons can make is to have you send it back in to be repaired.

Crashtard on
    I pinky swear that we will not screw you.

Crashtard.jpg
  • Options
    Eat_FireEat_Fire Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Having worked on the other end of this I can give you a few pointers:

First thing you need to do is read over your warranty information. Alot (but not all) of computer warranties have a "No Lemon" or "replacement" policy. If you can't find something that mentions compensation for a bad machine your gonna have a tough time.

Once you do find what your looking for as far as the policies go, check to see if you qualify on it. When you speak to customer service have exact dates and time tables for all of your repairs. The people on the other phone take calls from people all day claiming they have the worlds worst computer, very few actually have a problem, so don't over exaggerate.

If you don't meant the requirements for a new laptop, or w/e. State the way you feel, tell them what you want, and above all try to do it without screaming. Yes, being the angry yelling guy at Walmart may occasionally get you that free pair of Crocs but noone likes you and your a nuisance to everyone who works there. Just remember that whomever you speak with is at work. So act appropriately.

(and no I didn't work at walmart)

Eat_Fire on
    -Updating life to SP1-
  • Options
    HalberdBlueHalberdBlue Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EDIT: Also, from reading the referrals on this board I chose Alienware because I figured that they would have been a very reliable company. Has anyone else had any issues with them? Their customer service department has been ... extremely ... difficult to work with ...

I've never had any issues with them personally, but thats because I've never dealt with them. Every person I know who has ever purchased anything from them though has had nothing but problems.

HalberdBlue on
  • Options
    enderwiggin13enderwiggin13 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I read The Consumerist (www.consumerist.com) on occasion and they make a living out of publicizing bad customer service and showing consumers how to properly navigate customer support. I'd send them an email with your issue and see if they have any advice. I know I've seen them post good guides in the past for how to properly work with a customer service dept. to get what you need. I can't find any of them right now as it's just a Gawker blog, but they might be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction.

enderwiggin13 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]