As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

I've been [chat]in on the railroad

1232425262729»

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Echo wrote: »
    How do you neurotypicals ever get any thinking done with all that noise in your heads?
    Neurotypical? Noise? Make sense, woman.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I do as little thinking as posible

nexuscrawler on
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think I'll go and eat some biscuits.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Not SarastroNot Sarastro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    gundam470 wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »
    You guys do know that the most important rule of the game is that when you know it you're supposed to be a huge douche about it and not help people figure it out yeah?
    What's your point?
    Stop helping people. The majority of the enjoyment gained from the puzzle is in watching other people fail to figure it out after you have.

Wow, you're quite the ass.

Oh come on...

Enjoyment of those puzzles is largely in finishing it and going "whee, I'm clever!". 'Clever' denotes 'stupid'. If everyone got it, or did so in exactly the same time, there would be no clever or stupid. I bet you wouldn't enjoy the puzzle if everyone could do it equally. Do you particularly enjoy the ability to breathe while resting? Do you enjoy blinking?

Difference is pleasurable, live with it.

Not Sarastro on
  • NerissaNerissa Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd even consider saying that the name of the game is important to be a spoiler. That's what made me look at it visually on my first try ever. :P
    Nah, the name of the game being important is one of the only things you're supposed to say about it.

spoilered just in case... although I suspect it's a pretty benign comment
    The thing that turned the tables for me was browsing the forums on that site and someone was suggesting alternative names that would be less of a spoiler. Comparing his suggestions to the actual name pointed me toward which part(s) of the name were important.

Nerissa on
    edited March 2008
    Wait, biscuit time is an hour away. Blast.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    re: Nerissa's last post
    But wouldn't changing the name get rid of the one clue given and reduce it entirely to a matter of brute via observation? I guess there's one particular word in the title as-is that you could say is a larger clue than necessary ...

Oboro on
    words
    edited March 2008
    How do you neurotypicals ever get any thinking done with all that noise in your heads?

We learn to filter out the things that don't seem important... thus the issues many people have with this puzzle. :P

Nerissa on
    edited March 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    re: Nerissa's last post
    But wouldn't changing the name get rid of the one clue given and reduce it entirely to a matter of brute via observation? I guess there's one particular word in the title as-is that you could say is a larger clue than necessary ...

yeah...
    He suggested "petals of the rose" or "rose petals"

Nerissa on
  • HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wanna hear something funny?
    After figuring out the riddle, I remembered playing it before. :?

Haphazard on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Wanna hear something funny?
    After figuring out the riddle, I remembered playing it before. :?

I've done that. Also if I wait long enough before re-playing a puzzle-game I often have to re-figure out the puzzles. That's how I'm still able to play old Zeldas.

ViolentChemistry on
  • GooeyGooey (\/)┌¶─¶┐(\/) pinch pinchRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I don't get it. I'm woefully left-brained.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Sometimes I think I'm not as smart as I used to be. I guess it's possible I now have a more accurate grasp of my intellect.

Dynagrip on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited March 2008
    Also if I wait long enough before re-playing a puzzle-game I often have to re-figure out the puzzles. That's how I'm still able to play old Zeldas.

I wish I could un-play some games so I can be amazed at them once again without breezing through everything.

Echo on
    edited March 2008
    Heh, the munchkin has decided that she wants to learn to write. I now have a piece of paper with several relatively straight and even rows of markings in red crayon. Nothing resembling letters or really anything more than tally-marks, but straight even rows of marks about the same size. I guess it's a start.

Nerissa on
    edited March 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »
    Sometimes I think I'm not as smart as I used to be. I guess it's possible I know have a more accurate grasp of my intellect.
    It's a common compliant you hear at uni, that students think they've got dumber or peaked too early. It's just that their surroundings have changed.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nerissa wrote: »
    Heh, the munchkin has decided that she wants to learn to write. I now have a piece of paper with several relatively straight and even rows of markings in red crayon. Nothing resembling letters or really anything more than tally-marks, but straight even rows of marks about the same size. I guess it's a start.

That's cute.

LaOs on
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I start a new job on Monday, in midtown.

Nexus, I think I'll be near you.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • gundam470gundam470 Drunk Gorilla CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh come on...

Enjoyment of those puzzles is largely in finishing it and going "whee, I'm clever!". 'Clever' denotes 'stupid'. If everyone got it, or did so in exactly the same time, there would be no clever or stupid. I bet you wouldn't enjoy the puzzle if everyone could do it equally. Do you particularly enjoy the ability to breathe while resting? Do you enjoy blinking?

Difference is pleasurable, live with it.
    You're right about one thing, I do feel good about finishing the puzzle. But, I'm not so ridiculous that I think that good feeling is somehow only reserved for myself or that helping someone along somehow detracts from my own accomplishment. Maybe that's just me though.

The way you make it sound is that if I see someone on the street gasping for air I should leave them alone and take greater pleasure in my own ability to properly inhale oxygen.

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Petals:
    I don't know what all this shit about patterns and the name of the game is. When I look at this crap I see numbers, and I cant figure out an algorithm that comes to the answer. I try omitting different die, trying to find the "petals" around the "rose" but I can't. I try everything. And I know it's something simple because this is one of those "you see it or you don't" things. Like a fucking magic eye. I could never see that magic eye bullshit. I'm like the dude looking for the fucking sailboat in mallrats. God, fuck this fucking game and fuck all of you for making me fucking play it. You sailboat motherfuckers.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    So I start a new job on Monday, in midtown.

Nexus, I think I'll be near you.

first you follow me home now you follow me to work!

If you bring over smash this is acceptable.

nexuscrawler on
    edited March 2008
    Gooey Dyna me and Tarr had a blast of a sins game last night.

You should join up next time

nexuscrawler on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2008
    # 1151

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
    edited March 2008
    These are bad grapes. Bad grapes!

Mojo_Jojo on
    edited March 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    # 1151
    That's too many, I have to get to class!

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
    edited March 2008
    I want this one

so bad.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2008
    I haven't played Sins in a while.

I should play Sins later.

Drez on
    edited March 2008
    Petals around my ass is more like it.

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
  • DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Gooey Dyna me and Tarr had a blast of a sins game last night.

You should join up next time
    We were planning on playing tonight. Are y'all playing on ICO or what?

Dynagrip on
    edited March 2008
    Seriously.

edit: Wait does that mean I get to make the new chat thread?

Drez on
  • ViolentChemistryViolentChemistry __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I go shopping today.

ViolentChemistry on
    edited March 2008
    Whoo?

gundam470 on
    gorillaSig.jpg
    edited March 2008
    You guys played sins without me? What the fuck. Dyna said we'd play today!

Gooey on
    919UOwT.png
    edited March 2008
    Gooey wrote: »
    I want this one

so bad.
    good luck

Dynagrip on
  • ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2008
    Drez wrote: »
    Seriously.

edit: Wait does that mean I get to make the new chat thread?

Yes.

20011203h.gif

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.