As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Iron Man: Invincible Upgrade! (WINNERS POSTED)

DMACDMAC Come at me, bro!Moderator mod
edited April 2008 in Graphic Violence
This was posted over at Project Rooftop and I thought people here might be interested. I'm going to try to put something together if I can find the time before the end of the month.
Fire up your repulsor rays, designers! Project: Rooftop is teaming up with Westfield Comics for a new drawing contest in honor of the upcoming Iron Man film starring Robert Downey Jr., and the new monthly series Invincible Iron Man by writer Matt Fraction and artist Salvador Larroca. Starting today we are accepting entries for the Iron Man: Invincible Upgrade, with Westfield Comics providing the following prizes for the top redesigns!

Grand Prize (1) - The Hard Hero Iron Man statue, the Marvel Masterworks Iron Man Vol. 1 hardcover, and The Many Armors of Iron Man trade paperback.

Second Prize (2) - The Many Armors of Iron Man TPB and a $15 certificate to westfieldcomics.com

Third Prize (3) - The Many Armors of Iron Man TPB

Additional Prizes - P:R and Wf may provide a few extra goodies for other shiny entries, if we see something that really knocks our socks off!

Joining the P:R Staff at the review roundtable to talk about the top entries will be Invincible Iron Man writer Matt Fraction and fan-favorite Iron Man artist and designer Adi Granov!

Send in your Iron Man redesigns to editors@projectrooftop.com, with the subject line, “Iron Man: Invincible Upgrade!” Please include your full name, age, website, and mailing address for prize shipment. International winners may be responsible for prize shipment. All the usual P:R Guidelines apply!

All entries must be recieved by March 31st, 2008!

DMAC on

• BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DMAC I would really like to see what you come up with.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    ironman.jpg

that statue is shit hot. good luck dmac.

be warned. i will steal that statue from you if you win.

Angry on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Wow, that is nice. I didn't really look at the prizes, I just like doing this sort of thing and seeing what other people come up with.

DMAC on
  • MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I always love seeing what people come up with in these big "Draw [x]" memes. Makes me wish Project Rooftop had more frequent updates.

Munch on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    I always love seeing what people come up with in these big "Draw [x]" memes. Makes me wish Project Rooftop had more frequent updates.
    I wish the non project rooftop memes were a little bit more organized

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2008
    You can't organize a meme! They're like wild stallions, roaming free across the Internet...

DMAC on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    I'll try to do this, but I probably won't come up with anything.

Project Rooftop is weird. Sometimes they pick awesome stuff (that Nick Fury and Black Widow picture), but sometimes they pick stuff like that Connor Hawke one which is really weird and doesn't work at all

A lot of the designers get too creative with their designs.

Garlic Bread on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Keith's entry:

cyborg-gj.jpg

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    Balefuego wrote: »
    Keith's entry:

cyborggjbl2.jpg

throw a little hot rod red on it

Garlic Bread on
  • smokmnkysmokmnky Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    Keith's entry:
    cyborggjbl2.jpg

throw a little hot rod red on it

I lol'd. Wish I had some talent I really like that statue.

smokmnky on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DMAC, give him lots of belts and pouches. Trust me... belts and pouches are the spirit fingers of comics!

Hey, now we have to work out joint custody of that awesome statue we are going to win as a team.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    And here I was planning on just tricking DMAC to sign my name on his work. Virral had a much better idea. My idea

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
    edited March 2008
    Now I just need ideas on ways to avoid having to draw his feet...

DMAC on
  • see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DMAC wrote: »
    gizmoduc.jpg
    ?

see317 on
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    DMAC wrote: »

Put them in pouches.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Keith's entry:

Cyborg

Speaking of characters that need a drastic overhaul. I've yet to see a redesign that make Cyborg look like a credible superhero and not some weird white leather fetishist.

Munch on
    edited March 2008
    Munch wrote: »
    Keith's entry:

Cyborg

Speaking of characters that need a drastic overhaul. I've yet to see a redesign that make Cyborg look like a credible superhero and not some weird white leather fetishist.

I like the one on Project Rooftop, but I agree with them about the weird things on his head and thighs. I also think it looks too much like a suit and not a cybernetic body.

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2008
    I think what always bothers me about Cyborg's look is his half-metal face. I don't know why, it just never really looks right. I think the obsessive compulsive side of me is subconsciously bothered by the asymmetry.

I'd really like to see him just rebuilt from the ground up. New color scheme, new body, new everything. I'd kind of like to see something similar to this. Or maybe just plunk him in some kind of Iron Man like suit. I think the worst thing about Cyborg's costume is that he never really looks like a cyborg. He just looks like a big dude with metal hands and a halfro in white spandex.

Munch on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I liked the Cyborg redesign from Kingdom Come. Going T-1000 makes sense from a technological standpoint.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Well, looks like we have Cyborg's new design.

tnsv2cv3solicitqm1.jpg

He looks so pissed.

Munch on
    edited March 2008
    sup professor X

also, jesus that art is terrible

Garlic Bread on
  • bobgorilabobgorila Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cyborg in the Teen Titans cartoon was a character design I could get behind.

bobgorila on
    I like my women how I like my coffee.

Anally.
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm gussing that has something to do with his going all 'blew up' in the Titans East one-shot.

ZombieAsuma on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    sup professor X

also, jesus that art is terrible

holy crap it reeeeeeeally is

DJ Eebs on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    cyborg does not want to be there.

at all.

PantheraOnca on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    bobgorila wrote: »
    Cyborg in the Teen Titans cartoon was a character design I could get behind.

Yes.

Why don't they just use that armor?

Furu on
    edited March 2008
    Why does DC have so many terrible artists on their best books? Most of their top-tier stuff looks it's being drawn by Top Cow/Aspen rejects. Meanwhile they have a bunch of incredibly talented guys slumming at Wildstorm and various low-tier books. Couldn't they have persuaded Neil Googe, Doug Mahnke, or Chris Sprouse to help launch this book? I mean, these are some of their most famous non-Trinity heroes, and they're being drawn by someone who can't seem to work out how a neck is supposed to look.

Munch on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man that Titans or whatever art is damn near the worst thing I have seen in a long time. Poor Cyborg.

I think there could be some really amazing stuff come out of this Iron Man thingy. The Powergirl, Supergirl, Batgirl... Spoiler? redesign contests were amazing.

DouglasDanger on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2008
    it kind of looks like todd nauck's retarded cousin drew it

DJ Eebs on
    edited March 2008
    Look at the artist's signature in the lower right. That's how you know he's a student of the 90's.

Munch on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can't stop laughing at Cyborg. Or Wally and Donna Troy. Or Donna Tory's costume.

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2008
    Is that Churchill on that cover??? He may have drawn some of the skinniest wrists I've ever seen on Supergirl but he can do better than that. His art in the Titans East one-shot was actually really good.

ZombieAsuma on
  • valiancevaliance Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    I can't stop laughing at Cyborg. Or Wally and Donna Troy. Or Donna Tory's costume.

Cyborg made me laugh harder than I have in days. Oh God that was gorgeous.

valiance on
    edited March 2008
    valiance wrote: »

Cyborg made me laugh harder than I have in days. Oh God that was gorgeous.
    It looks like he's in a futuristic Bumper Car, but he got that one that doesn't work.

Fencingsax on
  • JakesteraholicJakesteraholic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's Joe Benitez.

He sucks:^:

Jakesteraholic on
    3DS friend code: 1247-0157-5888
    edited March 2008
    Oh yeah....he did the Wraithborn mini-series and didn't he draw part of the JLA Wedding Special where he gave Poison Ivy and Killer Frost ankle-length hair?

ZombieAsuma on
    edited March 2008
    Oh yeah....he did the Wraithborn mini-series and didn't he draw part of the JLA Wedding Special where he gave Poison Ivy and Killer Frost ankle-length hair?
    To be fair, Poison Ivy with ankle-length hair would be pretty hot.

Fencingsax on
  • JakesteraholicJakesteraholic Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    somebody make a joke about her roots

Jakesteraholic on
    3DS friend code: 1247-0157-5888
    edited March 2008
    somebody make a joke about her roots
    Does her window-box match her garden?

Fencingsax on
    edited March 2008
    Although that wasn't the longest hair I had ever seen. I just picked up Wonder Woman: Challenge of Artemis trade out of a bargain bin because it seemed interesting. It was a fun read but Artemis' ponytail wrapped in loops around both her legs near the bottom.

ZombieAsuma on