As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[D&D4e] OOC - Return of the Burning Plague

LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Critical Failures
Kivud's Pass cuts through Aberdarae mountain range, providing not only a 2-mile alternative to a 2000 mile trek to the coast around the range, but also access to the rich silver deposits at the heart of the mountains. The area grows prosperous and wealthy both through the silver from the mines, and the gold in the purses of passing traders and weary travellers.

The expeditionary band from Laoshire led by Erias the Sunlord, has been sent through the Aberdarae mountain range to Davermore to make contact with a mighty but mad wizard, who has been attempting to establish magical communication between the two points of light in the darkness. Upon arrival in Kivud's Pass, it becomes obvious that something is amiss: the miners are all sick, and the hospice and temple of Amaunator are overflowing with sick and dying.

Concerned, Erias and his band sought out the mayor and offered their services. The mayor told them of the history of Kivud's Pass, and the Burning Plague that years ago, a crazed Orc shaman prayed down on the town as revenge for the destruction of his tribe. Some months ago, a hobgoblin warband took up residence in the mountains to the north of town, and had to be put down. A small band fled into the Northwest mine, which connects to the underground wellspring that feeds the town's wells. The mayor fears that the same dark god who granted the Orc's prayers so many years ago may have granted revenge to the hobgoblins.

Erias, Tira, Kathra, and the others creep slowly down the stairs of the Northwest mine. Today they are messengers and errand boys no longer.

Today, they are adventurers.

What the hell is this, Legoman?

This is a 4th Edition playtest - the module was taken from Enworld, based on the DDXP information. (No peeking!)

So, combat heavy?

Very. There might be some role-playing later after this first playtest and after the rules proper for 4e are out - but consider this a one-shot for now. That doesn't mean you can't be colorful with your character!

How many can play?

4-6. The following characters are up for grabs:

Erais, Male Human Cleric of Amaunator
Kathra, Female Dwarven Fighter // Probably mightyspacepope
Corrin, Male Halfling Paladin of Tymora
Tira, Female Half-Elf Warlock // Probablt lzrmcdougal
Skamos, Male Tiefling Wizard // Probably Tom Whitbrook
Riardon, Male Eldarin Ranger

Post quickly.

How are you going to be running this?

I don't honestly care how you do your dice rolls. Don't cheat, it's lame.

On your turn, take all your actions. I'll post the vital stats for the enemies so you can write in their reactions as you pick them off. If you have an immediate action that your character can use, write down a set of conditions that would cause you to want to activate it. I'll read those and trigger it for your best interest.

Great, when do we start.

As soon as we have people together.

Legionnaired on

• Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd be down for this, as long as you don't mind the fact that I'd primarily post after work (11ish PM Eastern time). I'd mostly be interested in playing the Dwarven fighter.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    your character sheets are 404'd.

Super Namicchi on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    your character sheets are 404'd.

Lies.
    fixed.

Please save them to disk though, so that my bandwidth is not raped.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    TomWhitbrookTomWhitbrook Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd give it a go with the tiefling wizard.
    Not in that way, God damn it!
    However, I'd primarily be posting evenings in GMT.

TomWhitbrook on
    tomwhitbrook.png
  • Options
    lzrmcdoogallzrmcdoogal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think i might be down for this, maybe as Tira?

lzrmcdoogal on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I will take Erias, the Cleric.

Pony on
  • Options
    HorseshoeHorseshoe Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ranger! I wanna be the Ranger! :D

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    delrolanddelroland Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    [strike]I call dibs on the warlock or wizard.[/strike]

Or not. I guess I'll take the paladin.

delroland on
    EVE: Online - the most fun you will ever have not playing a game.
    "Go up, thou bald head." -2 Kings 2:23
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    IC Thread up. delroland, it's Corrin's action.

After Corrin moves and the monster acts, it is a free for all until everyone has acted. Try to shoot for a post a day, please.

Also, some quick-start rules, of which you may not have been aware:
    Actions: Each round you may take a standard, move, and minor action. Shift--a 5' step--is a move action. To draw a weapon is a minor action. Some classes and races have lots of powers that are minor actions, some almost none. You may trade actions down (standard for a move or minor; move for a minor). You may get up to one immediate action per round, such as an opportunity attack, if the appropriate conditions occur.

Action Points: Using an action point give you another action (standard, move, or minor) on your turn. You can use one per encounter. Start the day with one; gain one more every other encounter. Taking a full rest resets your AP to 1.

Attacks: Roll 1d20 plus modifier against the appropriate Defense: AC, Fortitude, Reflex, or Will. Ranged attacks between normal and maximum range suffer -2 to hit.

Bloodied: You are Bloodied at half your hit point total (round up). The Bloodied condition may allow special actions.

Bull Rush - To initiate a bull rush, you need to make a Strength Check vs. the target's Fortitude Defense. This does not provoke an Opportunity Attack (formerly AoO). If you succeed, you may push the target 1 space. The margin of success doesn't matter, and 1 space is the maximum that a target can be moved with Bull Rush (without taking special abilities).

Charging - Charging in combat is a standard action that allow you to move up to your speed and attack. It grants a +1 to hit, and no penalty to AC.

Combat Advantage: You get a +2 to hit the target. Flanking a target allows you to have Combat Advantage against a target, as do most physical afflictions (such as being immobilized or prone). Being on fire, however, does not grant foes combat advantage.

Cover: If the enemy has cover, take a -2 penalty to attack rolls. Friendly creatures cannot provide the enemy cover, but other enemy creatures can. Total cover, such as an arrow slit, is a -5 penalty.

Critical Hits: Every natural 20 on a d20 attack roll is a critical hit. Confirmation roll no longer needed. All critical hits are confirmed by default. Critical hits apply to spells and wizard/cleric powers too, so long as there is an attack roll. Damage from critical hits is maximized. For example if your attack/power/spell would deal 2d6+3 on a normal hit, a critical hit will deal (2*6)+3=15 damage. Weapons, Magic Items or Powers could alter your critical hit range or damage.

Death and Dying: At 0 hit points, you are unconscious. You die if you reach negative Hit Points equal to your Bloodied value (half your hit points). At the end of your turn, if you haven't been stabilized, roll a d20:

1-9: You get worse. If you get this result 3 times before being stabilized, you die.
    10-19: No change.
    20: You stabilize.

As a Standard Action, an ally can make a Heal check to stabilize you. If they make DC 15, you are stabilized. If they make DC 20, you haven't used your Second Wind yet this encounter, and you have a Healing Surge remaining, your Second Wind is triggered. If anything heals you, you return to 0 HP before the healing is applied.

Full Defense - You don't take any actions, but you get a +2 to all defense scores until the start of your next turn.

Grapple - You can attempt a grapple check with anything that is within 1 size category of you. To initiate, you make a Strength Check vs. Reflex Defense. This also doesn't provoke an Opportunity Attack. If you fail, nothing happens. If you succeed, you cause your target to be "Immobilized" for one round. The target can escape his immobilized condition using an Acrobatics or Athletics check. You may move the target 1 square by succeeding on an additional grapple check in the following round.

Healing Surge & Second Wind: You have a number of healing surges, each of which may be used out of combat to restore a number of hit points. During combat, you may use Second Wind once per encounter as a standard action to use one of your healing surges to heal – and you receive a +2 bonus to all defenses until your next turn. Some powers are powered by healing surges.

Immobilized: You cannot move on your own: your Speed is 0. Otherwise, you can act normally. Effects that push, pull, or otherwise transport you still work normally. Foes around an immobilized target get combat advantage against him.

Marked: You can only be marked by 1 creature at a time. If another creature marks you, you lose the old mark and gain the new one. You are at -2 on all attacks that do not include the creature that marked you as a target.
    You may suffer other penalties for attacking a creature other than the one that marked you, if that creature has such an ability.

Movement: Diagonal movement counts as 1 square. Difficult terrain doubles movement cost. Moving away from an adjacent opponent draws an opportunity attack, unless you Shift.

Ongoing Damage: At the start of each of your turns, you take a given amount of a given type of damage.
    Example: “ongoing 5 acid damage” deals you 5 acid damage at the start of each of your turns.
    If the duration of the effect is 'save ends', remember that saving throws are made at the end of your turn.

Opportunity Attacks: You can make up to one of these per each opponents turn. Moving away or by an opponent, or using a ranged attack adjacent triggers them. A fighter power allows the fighter to make an opportunity attack against an enemy that shifts (takes a 5' step).

Reach: Creatures with reach only threaten the squares immediately around them, unless they have a special ability. Their full reach is only active on their turn, and cannot be used for opportunity attacks.

Resting. A short rest is 5 minutes, and allows you to use healing surges. An extended rest is 6 hours, and at the end you are fully healed, all healing surges and daily powers restore, action points set to 1.

Running: Add 2 to your speed as a move action when running. Running provides opponents Combat Advantage until the beginning of your next turn.

Saving Throws: To end an ongoing effect, you must make a successful saving throw. At the end of your turn, roll d20. If you roll 10 or higher, the effect ends. Some powers may apply modifiers to saving throws

Shift: You may move one square as a move action without drawing an opportunity attack.

Slowed - The movement of a slowed character drops to 2, and this applies to all movement types except for teleportation.

Stunned - If you are stunned, you can't take any actions for a round, but you no longer drop all of your held items.

Sustain minor: use a minor action to keep doing it.

And, vital stats for this first encounter:

Kobold Minion:
    HP: Dies when hit by an attack that deals damage.
    AC: 15
    Fort: 11
    Reflex: 13
    Will: 11

Kobold Skirmisher:
    HP:27. Bloodied 13.
    AC: 15; Fortitude 11, Reflex 14, Will 13

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Lego, do those squares with the red border grant cover, or are they an obstacle, or something like that?

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Horseshoe wrote: »
    Lego, do those squares with the red border grant cover, or are they an obstacle, or something like that?

No, sorry, that was just the last tile I had down and I forgot to deselect it before I took the screenshot from the dungeon tile website. It's just normal difficult terrain, like the rest of the rubble squares.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    holy crap this filled up quick. and i missed it

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Crovaxan wrote: »
    holy crap this filled up quick. and i missed it

If it's fun to run I'll run another one.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I dont think Id want to play with pregen characters, half the fun is making your own guy. I will gladly watch how this unfolds to get me a taste of how the game plays now.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Man, these Eladrin and Ranger abilities are so cool! I'm stoked!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    took my action, who is next?

delroland on
  • Options
    mightyspacepopemightyspacepope Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think the Kobolds go now, then the rest of us get to go in whatever order we end up posting in.

mightyspacepope on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Kobolds went, Corrin took 9 from Skirmisher's thrust.

Be advised now guys, that shifting is a 5 foot move action, and any other sort of movement provokes an AoO. Just making sure you guys know for future reference.

Map updated, you might have to refresh the page.

You can all now go in whatever order you happen to post. If your character has the capacity for any immediate actions, post conditions for taking those actions.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Map updated after shoe's action, refresh if you see > 2 minons on the field.

Shoe, I was all like 'man, he's boxed in on the stairs, how is he going to...'

'oh'

That's the kind of thing I was hoping would happen, and makes me all the more pissed off at my IRL players for being retarded and acting like they have their feet in blocks on concrete.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Dude, this was such a good idea.

I mean, I'm actually stoked about playing an elf-type guy again.

Plus, I've always loved ranger-y characters... and the Ranger abilities Riardon has are sweet!

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Be advised now guys, that shifting is a 5 foot move action, and any other sort of movement provokes an AoO. Just making sure you guys know for future reference.

I get a +2 to AC versus AoO's, just FYI.

Also, can you shift into difficult terrain?

delroland on
  • Options
    lzrmcdoogallzrmcdoogal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i'm going to wait for the updated map, i can't keep track D:

sorry

lzrmcdoogal on
  • Options
    LardalishLardalish Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Does anyone mind if I ask questions about the rules that go down? I dont wanna clutter up the thread unless you guys say its ok.

Lardalish on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    delroland wrote: »

I get a +2 to AC versus AoO's, just FYI.

Also, can you shift into difficult terrain?

Whoops, good to know.

Yes, you can shift into difficult terrain.

@Lardalish: Ask away good man!

Guys if this combat takes you more than a round I'll be very upset with you all.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm guessing this will take three rounds, simply because I missed round one and we have 54 hit points to beat down even after dropping the minions. Unless someone crits with a 2[W] attack.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    noobs then. all of you :D

Just wait until both of your strikers come to bear though, the ranger is dropping 1d10 + 1d8 + 4, and the warlock nearly as much.

Especially if Corrin uses his strike that gives the ranger +2 tohit, you can make short work of these fools.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, next round Riardon'll probably make on of those skirmishers his "quarry" and start ruining its day.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I didn't even realize I was playing, I never got any confirmation.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    My attack gives +3 AC, not +2 to hit. :P

delroland on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Pony wrote: »
    I didn't even realize I was playing, I never got any confirmation.

My bad.

Your turn :D.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I took Pony's turn. It's delroland's action, map refreshed.

Pony, if you're not going to play, let me know so I can find a replacement.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Naw, I'm not in. I've decided that PBP just isn't for me.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I have a lot going on in my life right now, to the point that I am not often home and when I am, I do not have the time or energy to make decent posts.

Additionally, it's my personal opinion that RPG systems designed originally to be played tabletop are ill-suited for PBP and while I have tried to continue on in spite of that, it is nonetheless something I have come to dislike.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    how many hp does that remaining skirmisher have?

i just hit him for 16. :D

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Also lego, I provoked an AoO on purpose to try and get my Fox's Cunning off this round on that skirmisher in an attempt to put an end to the dirty little bastard.

I'm also banking on that +3 AC bonus from the Paladin stacking with my +2 AC against AoO's (Defensive Mobility) giving me an AC of 22 vs. an AoO by the skirmisher.

Edit: I love 4e Rangers.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Also lego, I provoked an AoO on purpose to try and get my Fox's Cunning off this round on that skirmisher in an attempt to put an end to the dirty little bastard.

I'm also banking on that +3 AC bonus from the Paladin stacking with my +2 AC against AoO's (Defensive Mobility) giving me an AC of 22 vs. an AoO by the skirmisher.

Edit: I love 4e Rangers.

You don't get the +3 - Corrin gave it to himself.

It's OK, the kobold rolled a '6'

You take your Fox's Cunning, I've stepped you away, but you rolled a '3.'

The rest of yous, have at. This bugger is at 1 HP.

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I was using the roll that I made on it before... which was a 16 (hit) for 12 damage after adding in that extra d8.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I was using the roll that I made on it before... which was a 16 (hit) for 12 damage after adding in that extra d8.

Yeah, and you hit, who said anything about rolling a three?

:shifty:

Legionnaired on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You don't get the +3 - Corrin gave it to himself.

Not that it matters, being that the fight is almost over anyways, but I gave the +3 AC to Riardron:
    delroland wrote: »
    Riardron receives a +3 power bonus to AC until the end of my next turn.

delroland on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Damn straight he did.

Corrin knows a sexy unstoppable death machine when he sees one.

Horseshoe on
    dmsigsmallek3.jpg