As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[DS roguelike] You have failed me PA. (SHIREN THE WANDERER)

• Options
    MightyMighty Omeganaut '15 '16 '17 NebraskaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i dont understand this... do they look at the box art and say "well its okay i guess" "lets make it gayer for the americans"

Or perhaps they show it to a "target audience" of soccer moms and inbred rednecks.

"that there is onna them ho-mohs aint it?"
    "i dont want MY little billy to play something with a purple dress'd whore in it!"

Mighty on
    Twitch: twitch.tv\dreadmighty
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Couscous on
  • Options
    DeswaDeswa Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I love change jars. Sure, a gold sword and a blast shield arent great items, but if leveled, that blast shield is awesome and so much better than weeds.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
    "It ain't rape, it's surprise sex!"
    wii : 3788 3264 2419 8070
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Curse you pitfall traps! I wasn't finished looting that monster house!

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Curse you pitfall traps! I wasn't finished looting that monster house!
    You should really always use a herb/scroll of site on a monster house, saves a lot of trouble.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    AmwhereAmwhere Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm really enjoying Shiren - just not when your inept NPCs all get killed by the same tank, then (now leveled up twice) paints the walls with Shiren chunks (accented with Mastersword +33 and Iron Shield +22 fragments).

On that note, can someone save my past 2 days of play? I'm on the 12th or 13th floor.
    The code is 0000-0000-1459.

Amwhere on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    i have a question.... is it possible to take a bag of money off the ground... and place it in a pot?

I'd rather like to have "pots of wealth" laying about in my store rooms.

p.s. if a level looks kinda small... use a sight scroll... i just found a room full of moneybags because an ant soldier dug his way out of it.

Mighty on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Argh, last rescue for this run. 24th floor, I get hypnotized into putting my Big Riceball into a Jar of Change and then proceed to not be able to find food until my fullness is down to 0 and health is dropping, thanks to a Chiropractic jar I manage to hold out long enough to find a room full of items and traps that happens to have a Riceball in it. But then my health starts draining from something else, and then a Minotaur comes along and finishes me off...

0000-0000-1517

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Mighty wrote: »
    i have a question.... is it possible to take a bag of money off the ground... and place it in a pot?

I'd rather like to have "pots of wealth" laying about in my store rooms.

p.s. if a level looks kinda small... use a sight scroll... i just found a room full of moneybags because an ant soldier dug his way out of it.
    Just a thought, Bwalk over the money, then use a jar to insert whats underfoot.

Also I will die on the 27th floor, fuck you hunger.
    0000-0000-1525

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Firstly, thank you to those who rescued me before.

Died again. Confusion plus Deaths hurts a lot. Second level of the mines.

(Rescue Completed)

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    SirToastySirToasty Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Online rescues?

That sounds awesome.

I should try and find this game.

SirToasty on
  • Options
    PjstelfordPjstelford Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SirToasty wrote: »
    Online rescues?

That sounds awesome.

I should try and find this game.

Fair warning. While you are waiting to be rescued, there is nothing you can do with your game other than stop waiting to be rescued, lose your items, cash, and levels, then be sent to the starting area.

Exception: allegedly once you get to a certain point you'll be able to play past dungeons while waiting to be rescued.

Pjstelford on
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So at what point does this stop being a boring dungeon crawler and start being a roguelike? Cause I'm only a short bit into this but it's boring as hell and nothing like a roguelike at all.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I bit it around floor 12 to hunger and some nasty thing and lose my +4 katana and a decent shield. Frustrating, but no big deal. I start over and pick up a bracelet in the first room of the first floor and equip it. I take one step and I'm level 2, then hit level 3 five steps later. Damn thing is a Bracer of Happiness. I was level 8 before I finished the first floor. That is safely, for the time being anyway, stowed away in my warehouse.

Artereis on
  • Options
    Zorak15Zorak15 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I picked this up today. So far I'm barely past the first area, and already died once because I didn't watch my health. I think I'm going to like this.

Zorak15 on
    steam_sig.png
    Registered member since '04, Lurking since '99!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So at what point does this stop being a boring dungeon crawler and start being a roguelike? Cause I'm only a short bit into this but it's boring as hell and nothing like a roguelike at all.

I don't know what roguelikes you've been playing, but this is a roguelike. Have you ever even played the original Rogue?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

P.s. i think i just found something very interesting.

If you do feys puzzles, you get random crap right?

But if you talk to bartender after each one? another riceball!

Wow. All I ever got was random junk too, but this string of riceball gifts really pays off.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gah. Dead on floor 26, carrying some really nice stuff.

Can anyone help me out? The code is 0000-0000-1550.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    edited March 2008

I don't know what roguelikes you've been playing, but this is a roguelike. Have you ever even played the original Rogue?

Yes I have.

Theres no random maps full of secrets, no grueling difficulty that takes luck and skill to progress, no doom waiting around every corner, no building up to become stronger and stronger.

So far it's just been beat a small dunegon, watch a cutscene, repeat with no danger.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Yes I have.

Theres no random maps full of secrets, no grueling difficulty that takes luck and skill to progress, no doom waiting around every corner, no building up to become stronger and stronger.

So far it's just been beat a small dunegon, watch a cutscene, repeat with no danger.

Seriously, are we even playing the same game here? Unless you were expecting the hardest roguelike in existence, I don't get your complaints as Shiren has all of that.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Unless you grind for a while, once you hit the "no return" part, it gets a lot harder, especially if you dont have a team.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Yes I have.

Seriously, are we even playing the same game here? Unless you were expecting the hardest roguelike in existence, I don't get your complaints as Shiren has all of that.

As I said I'm not far into but I'm wonder when the roguelike elements come into play because where I'm at there isn't any.

randombattle on
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    A BearA Bear Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, I've already died. It seems that throwing swords at shopkeepers is not the way to manage transactions around these parts.

A Bear on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited March 2008

Yes I have.

As I said I'm not far into but I'm wonder when the roguelike elements come into play because where I'm at there isn't any.
    im not sure what game you are playing... theres maybe 2 cutsenes in shiren... tops.

Furthermore, the intro is like 3 tiny tutorial dungeons...

Mighty on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Argh, I got monster housed and didn't have the items necessary to pull it off. Floor 10 or 11, can't remember which. Could use a rescue so I could keep my plated Katana +4 that I would like to upgrade further... 0000-0000-1573

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Yes I have.

hm, there really aren't many cutscenes in shiren. in fact, i can only remember one at the beginning, one after entering table mountain, and another before the plains. and i had to go on a half-dozen runs before i could get to table mountain without dying. there's lots of danger and risk to be found even when you're playing carefully, IMO.

inthegray on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Deswa wrote: »
    Also I will die on the 27th floor, fuck you hunger.
    0000-0000-1525
    I'd really appreciate someone saving me in less than 9 hours. Also, if you do, make sure you have a level-drain armlet or you are boned.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The reviews for this game are so mediocre but you all make it sound so awesome. This is my next purchase after FF:CC:RoF: DS:Abbreviations

elevature on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    whats the deal with the "master hens"?

When i beat one, it turns into a chicken that runs off.... and sometime later... i find the chicken and kill it..
    Does it eventually turn back? or does it spawn more of those purple bastards?

Arrrgh! i reached the valley of illusions... but did i ever get ANY riceballs? no.
    I met up with one of those "super gaze" fellas... he made me use everything in my pack. put all my gear in random jars... and then made me dance while he hit me. what was the #1 thing he did? made me eat my ONLY riceball! while i was full.

Please rescue me. i have jars of holding/staffs in exchange if you want them.

Pw-
    YX6D7 HT4X B8022
    6!KCV JLFV M0D7Z
    Z18N2 SX24 4FWC0
    3!QDQ 58SP C3C30

why i died - Hunger. please bring food/ a back jar
    Where i died - Valley of illusions. there may be 1 invisible guy around.

Mighty on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    elevature wrote: »
    The reviews for this game are so mediocre but you all make it sound so awesome. This is my next purchase after FF:CC:RoF: DS:Abbreviations
    This is probably due to the fact that the game is very very cruel and unforgiving of things.

Mighty on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    When i beat one, it turns into a chicken that runs off.... and sometime later... i find the chicken and kill it..
    Just a thought, it could be that its used to allow other monsters to level up. I know some will kill another monster to level.

Also, super gaze arent too bad, those polygon monsters are total dicks. Sure, killing them is simple enough, but when those bunnies are spawned its next to impossible to come out smelling like roses when they reduce your hunger by 50% when they choose.

Deswa on
    gobassgo wrote:
  • Options
    BillmaanBillmaan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    whats the deal with the "master hens"?

When they get low on HP, they turn into a normal hen and run away. I don't think they ever turn back. The "trick" is that if you can kill a master hen while it's still a master hen, you get 400 exp, but if you kill the normal hen, you only get 1 exp.

Billmaan on
  • Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So what's the best loot you've gotten from a single room? Aside from my bracer of happiness, I got 3 air bless scrolls at once time. Of course, the subsequent death by monster house that cost me the weapon I used those scrolls on hurt. A lot.

Artereis on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    elevature wrote: »

Thats because the game isn't designed for the typical review mindset of rush through the game to get the review done as soon as possible to move onto the next game. With the game being far more difficult than your average game, and death sending you back to level 1 again, they're going to bitch that they can't just plow through the game with no resistance.

Still could use a rescue, floor 10 or 11 monster house. 0000-0000-1573

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    Zorak15Zorak15 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Okay, in the first level outside of the first village, why did I get repeated messages about a gust of wind, then finally die of extreme wind? WTF, over?

Zorak15 on
    steam_sig.png
    Registered member since '04, Lurking since '99!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Zorak15 wrote: »
    Okay, in the first level outside of the first village, why did I get repeated messages about a gust of wind, then finally die of extreme wind? WTF, over?

If you stay on a single floor too long the winds will start blow, warning you to hurry up and go the next floor ot get blown the fuck back to level 1. I can see why they did this when theres items in the game like the Happy Armband that give you XP for every step you take.

I actually haven't had it happen to me at all yet, NPCs told me about it, how long were you on that floor?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    NerdtendoNerdtendo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    OMG OMG! A hardcore roguelike on the DS?

COUNT ME IN!

I've always wanted to prep my DS for some homebrew goodness, and that powder game is just encouraging me to do it even more... but I've always been too afraid of bricking the DS.

Now I realize that it will just take a few precautionary measures to prevent that from happening, but I've found my paranoia in life serves me well.

I'm still thinking about it though.

Nerdtendo on
    IHZR47b.png
  • Options
    inthegrayinthegray Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    i am so happy to see so many people playing this game here. i promise i'll do rescues after i die on my current run.
    Artereis wrote: »
    So what's the best loot you've gotten from a single room? Aside from my bracer of happiness, I got 3 air bless scrolls at once time. Of course, the subsequent death by monster house that cost me the weapon I used those scrolls on hurt. A lot.

i'm not sure what the best loot i've ever gotten from one room is, but the best item i've ever gotten is a Farsight bracer. it let's you see where all the enemies and items are on your map. i lost it after a tainted insect, a skull mage, 2 blue tigers, a death reaper, and a rock-throwing pig rushed me. i was too stupid thinking i could take them all instead of stuffing the bracer in my storehouse jar.

inthegray on
  • Options
    NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Considering you don't need to flash the firmware of the DS to run homebrew, there really is no risk of bricking the DS.

NailbunnyPD on
    XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    inthegray wrote: »
    i am so happy to see so many people playing this game here. i promise i'll do rescues after i die on my current run.
    Artereis wrote: »

i'm not sure what the best loot i've ever gotten from one room is, but the best item i've ever gotten is a Farsight bracer. it let's you see where all the enemies and items are on your map. i lost it after a tainted insect, a skull mage, 2 blue tigers, a death reaper, and a rock-throwing pig rushed me. i was too stupid thinking i could take them all instead of stuffing the bracer in my storehouse jar.

How do rescues even work anyway? do you start from scratch and go get them?

Mighty on