As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Exteel: Free Giant Robots

• Options
    Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would download and play this if it wasn't for the skill/paint resetting thing

Is it really that annoying? Can it decimate your cash reserves?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • Options
    Squirrel RancherSquirrel Rancher Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Honestly I don't know what the problem was. I'm running Vista 32 and I kept getting server error messages kicking me out of the game but they disappeared when I ran in compatability mode.

Squirrel Rancher on
  • Options
    ValkunValkun Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Paint costs 4,000 for 30 days. In my very first battle I got 1,000 from kills and assists, and I wasn't even there for the whole thing.* Honestly, I don't think it's that big of an issue, just a money sink to prevent hyper inflation.

*I think I did, might have been experience.

Valkun on
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Downloading now. I'll try and hit this up tonite as well.

RedDawn on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Psst, the game is back up early.

Valkun on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Add me to the callsign list.

I think my callsign is Kingshand.

My mech is named Galedrid.

Is there an in-game buddy list/clan system? I didn't spend much time fiddling with options, I spent the time killing me some robot bastards.
    Actually I spent most of my time getting murdered

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A minor note for those thinking about playing Exteel.

After you get past the initial noobie hump you will loose 100% of the time you are fighting a person who puts money into their character no matter how good you are. And past the noobie hump the only people who keep playing at the higher levels are the people who pay for stuff.

It's completely unbalanced.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Valkun wrote: »

Paint costs 4,000 for 30 days. In my very first battle I got 1,000 from kills and assists, and I wasn't even there for the whole thing.* Honestly, I don't think it's that big of an issue, just a money sink to prevent hyper inflation.

*I think I did, might have been experience.

You might of.

What you get from a match seems to depend on both if you/your team wins or loses, and then your "rank" in your team/overall. I got monies that ranged from 400creds to 1000 creds a game. Games last usually 10minutes-ish.

I'm going to take a wild guess that as you level up and fight higher level opponents money increases. It has to, some of those mechs cost over 500k credits.

Skills are all 25k-36k I think, so you'll make way more than that in a given month pretty easily. I wouldn't worry too much about it causing a problem.

Also you don't need skills. You can only use 4 at a time to begin with. And a lot of the weapon combos required to even use the skills will limit a lot of what you'll want to pick up. Paint is cheap to begin with. 4k is nothing. And you'll notice after two matches that all 99% of the players seem to use is black and red on everything. Creative. It doesn't bug me that paint expires. The skill expiration is a little silly but it's just a money sink. I assume after you've gotten your mech exactly how you want it you'll have a lot less of a use for money.

Anyway, I blew all my starter creds (you can rack up 25k if you do all the tutorial missions) on new SMG's and a sword, but I'm starting to think maybe upgrading mech parts would have been wiser.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A minor note for those thinking about playing Exteel.

After you get past the initial noobie hump you will loose 100% of the time you are fighting a person who puts money into their character no matter how good you are. And past the noobie hump the only people who keep playing at the higher levels are the people who pay for stuff.

It's completely unbalanced.

Seriously? Because the stats between in-game purchased and out-game purchased items aren't that different. In some cases the purchased stuff doesn't even look as good as the super expensive items.
    Plus isn't' this like a relaunch of Exteel? I thought they changed a bunch of balance stuff. :shrug:

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Do you have access to different gear/mechs at higher levels or something?

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Right, I'm downloading now, just made an account with the imaginative username of 'darleysam'

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm going to take a wild guess that as you level up and fight higher level opponents money increases. It has to, some of those mechs cost over 500k credits.

I got to... Sargeant I believe, and the money did not increase by a large degree, if at all.
    Granted, I was in beta and things could have changed, but this game is a pretty huge time sink, both to get credits and to level.

I'm not going to say "HEY STOP HAVING FUN WITH THIS GAME THINGS COST TOO MUCH," (because you should have fun) I'm just voicing my problems with the game. The customization you mentioned in the MMO thread doesn't really come into play because of the money issues.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I recolored my mech pink because well...that's how good I am. If I'm going to be a free kill I might as well look like it :P

But anyway, after playing some more there is a serious disparagy between starter gear and coin gear. I've got people two hitting me with a sword when I can slash away and do nothing, people with SMG's who can tear me down when I'm apparently doing little to nothing to them, and I've even upgraded my sword/SMG's.

EDIT: Oh it said i got a level and got 3 points, but what does that even mean? I don't see points anywhere.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You can spend points to upgrade certain things, such as Move Speed, Recharge Time, etc. I forget the exact menu to spend them in, its something like 'Stats' or 'Player' or whathaveyou.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    EDIT: Oh it said i got a level and got 3 points, but what does that even mean? I don't see points anywhere.

Click the "Pilot Info" button. You can spend your points on various stats there.

reVerse on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm all signed up with the callsign "GumpyBear", and have been playing a bit of this. It is so good.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    here's a protip: there's no point whatsoever to cannons. SMG's apparently have as long or longer range. And they shoot faster. And they actually hit.

EDIT: er, rifles.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I'm actually liking cannons more than I thought I would. Everyone want to meet in PA? Seems like we have quite a few people on.

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    holy shit there are people who play as med-bots.

fucking awesome.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited March 2008
    i'd like a 1st person view.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited March 2008
    here's a protip: there's no point whatsoever to cannons. SMG's apparently have as long or longer range. And they shoot faster. And they actually hit.

Rifles have slightly longer range. I played a game where I was getting continuously owned in the face by this rifle-lovin' hillbilly because I couldn't get close enough to actually do any meaningful damage.

reVerse on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oooooh, I see the pilot stuff now.

Wow, all these options just made the scope of the game expand for me. I didn't realize you got weapon experience and can unlock better use of weapons as you use them.

Nice.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    You had me at the mention of Gunz. I loved that game so hard. I'll be giving this a shot within the next couple of days.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

But cannons fill that part of the soul that just wants to use a really big gun.

I use my rifle with my sword, but the cannon is just so much more explosive.

Gumpy on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    yeah sorry i didnt mean cannons. I haven't really tried them, I failed miserably (thought I passed the tutorial) at using them.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MarkyXMarkyX Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I played this game in the beta and kind of quit because it was very, very repeatitive. Let's see if they changed anything.

*downloading*

MarkyX on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Oooooh, I see the pilot stuff now.

Wow, all these options just made the scope of the game expand for me. I didn't realize you got weapon experience and can unlock better use of weapons as you use them.

Nice.

I spend all day slaving over this lovely, homemade OP and you don't even read it?

Lord knows why I even bother!

naggingwifecurlersdl3.gif

Accualt on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well the trailer has piqued my interest and I'll be checking out as soon as I can. I just have one thing to say:

I know I dig giant robots.
    I know you dig giant robots.
    But do chicks dig giant robots?

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    darunia106 wrote: »
    Well the trailer has piqued my interest and I'll be checking out as soon as I can. I just have one thing to say:

No, they dig ponies.

reVerse on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    reVerse wrote: »

No, they dig ponies.

nice...

Wait.

darunia106 on
    pHWHd2G.jpg
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

No, they dig ponies.

nice...

Wait.

So...wait...giant robot ponies?

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    edited March 2008

No, they dig ponies.

nice...

Wait.

So...wait...giant robot ponies?

Now there's something both boys and girls can enjoy together. Y'know, in addition to sex.

reVerse on
  • Options
    maraxus94maraxus94 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Tried this when it was in beta but quit when everyone, and you may think I am joking, but EVERYONE used SMG's because they were so retardedly overpowered. Is that still the case?

maraxus94 on
  • Options
    RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My giant robot pony

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Now that I've hit the 1-14 bracket, the difference in equipment is pretty striking. Someone was two shotting me with a cannon FAR outside of my own range. :|

Valkun on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    maraxus94 wrote: »
    Tried this when it was in beta but quit when everyone, and you may think I am joking, but EVERYONE used SMG's because they were so retardedly overpowered. Is that still the case?

From what I've played, I'd say that a good 3/4ths of the playerbase use SMGs as their primary weapon.

reVerse on
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Buh. Wubba?

Wibble?

...*clicky* Lets see how this plays.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KupotheAvengerKupotheAvenger Destroyer of Cake and other deserts.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just bypassed the tutorials. And ended up getting rank 1 on DM against the 1-24 bracket. Am I doing somehting wrong? I'm using sword and shield mainly.

KupotheAvenger on
    fc: 1821-9801-1163
    Battlenet: Judgement#1243
    psn: KupoZero

• Options
    edited March 2008
    Well you get money and items for doing the tutorial.

And, yeah, Cannon's are all about long range big damage. They are also a bitch to use compared to the other weapons. Did you do the cannon tutorial?

Also GAME ON, I'll only be able to play for about an hour, though. Jumping on now. Will look for this PA channel.

EDIT: I just created Channel PA...so join? However you do that...so we can be friends. I don't think there is a way to make someone a friend unless they are online and in the same channel. :|

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Sorry, I meant that they were completely outclassing my own cannon. Left kind of a bad taste in my mouth.

Valkun on