As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On!] Gundam Online - SIEG ZEON!

OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks?San DiegoRegistered User regular
edited October 2007 in MMO Extravaganza
Here's a new thread! I'll be updating it more often. Max Damage prepared the intro for both SA and PA forums.

Vital Info:
The IRC channel (HIGHLY reccomended) is #GundamOnline @ irc.zirc.org.
The Wiki (our community home, including signup guide) is here.
There is no free trial. The client is, however, free - you ONLY pay the monthly fee.
Also, the game server undergoes DAILY downtime for three hours, from 1-4am GMT (adjust for your timezone). That's 5-8PM Pacific.

For those of you in-game and playing:
Most PA/SA players are fighting for the [b[Principality of Zeon.[/b]
We have multiple teams (guilds) - each one has a maximum member limit of 30.
To join a team, you must meet the founding member of it on foot, outside a vehicle.
You can find out what teams are recruiting by checking the Squad Roster page, or the IRC channel.

The Setting: (Illustrated with music videos. Click the links)
Do you like prettyboy robo-angst? Barely-restrained man-love? Incoherent plots and magical invincible mechas with angelfeather wings? You probably like Gundam Wing.

Or...

Do you like gritty and bloody sci-fi warfare? Ambiguous morality? High-impact mech combat and darkly anti-war stories? You probably like the Universal Century Gundam setting, as exemplified by 08th MS Team.

This game is based around the latter. In fact, almost all the hardware in that second video is in the game.

The Game:
Universal Century: Gundam Online. Now with two major updates - in July, the game added full space combat. This December, they added a lot of stuff, including a bunch of early 0080 technology, contested and coveted PvP cities to fight over, player-flyable aircraft and background Minovsky particle effects - radiation that blocks radar and communications. Also some major engine optimizations, at the cost of some of the (possibly excessive) view distance. The game now runs better than ever before.

This is technically a japanese-only MMO, but almost all the interface is in plain english, and there's very little static content, so you don't have to worry about wading through pages of NPC text. This game is all about the players. Hence, it is very easily accessible to foreigners like us. In addition, it's quite easy for people outside Japan to sign up (see the wiki), and you don't have to worry about recurring monthly fees, as we're paying via pre-paid timecards.

We've rapidly built up a large english community over the past month. Probably in excess of a hundred players just from PA/SA alone. There was already a small community from GameFAQs when we arrived, but we seem to far outnumber them now. The japanese community has been of great help to us so far, and we've been aided at every step by the english-speaking (japanese) players we've found. Don't let experiences with FFXI jerks put you off - these people seem pretty damn cool. Also, don't go around being a racist fuckwit. I know that sounds obvious, but some people approach foreign environments with both feet in mouth.

UCGO plays very much like old-school Ultima Online. They've lifted the skill system directly from UO (complete with skill cap and the option to unlearn things when you hit it), and most of the combat system. Much of the games focus is on PvP (factional - although you CAN attack friendlies if you want to endure the crime system - also lifted from UO), with NPC enemies mostly serving as training targets. As such, the greatest threat to your life is other players.

Assorted facts and details:
- The game takes place in Australia for the earthbound part, and a series of orbiting stations and colonies when you travel to space. Both are pretty bleak and bland environments - the cities on earth are highly detailed, but once you're past city limits, it's mostly flat desert with occasional hilly, rocky or forested areas. This isn't a game for sightseers, sadly. The environments are HUGE, though - Australia is actually modelled to scale, so any long-distance travel is best done via transport copters, which seem to be magical and way faster than they should logically be.

- This game is all about risk and reward. You could roll around in your free Magella tank all day long, but you won't achieve much. However, upgrading to a more expensive vehicle means that you've got an aspect of loss to worry about - being clumsy around NPCs, or (worse yet) falling victim to a wandering Federation gank-squad will cost you money. Still, the power-curve seems more fair than many MMOs. Even a newbie in a tank can do a bit of damage to an ace pilot in a Gundam.

- Thankfully, money isn't that huge a deal (not up to Eve Online levels, at least). You start out with 1,000,000 credits, and a basic Mobile Suit (mech) costs 130,000, albeit naked. Equipment will probably put that up to 200,000, but that means you should have enough for five suits with full equipment from the start, and once you're up and running (and ideally with goons), money is easy to make. Just be careful and play it safe at first and you'll be fine.

- As you kill enemies, both NPCs and (if you're lucky) players, you gain money and rank. Rank is a double-edged sword, as while it grants you a higher paycheque at the end of the week (fridays are payday), it also makes you a tastier and more financially rewarding target for enemies. You need a high rank to use certain special items, like base construction gear, too.

- No, you can't be a Newtype (think 'Giant Robot Jedi'), although interestingly, Amuro Ray's original voice actor plays and blogs about it!

- No, you cannot squish people on foot, or go around ineffectualy shooting pistols at gigantic robots. All combat is vehicular or suit-based.

- Unfortunately, you cannot pilot battleships (both land or space) or Mobile Armors (giant Zeon superweapons) yet. These things are planned for future updates though, and will be usable in time.

- More setting-related than anything, but Char Aznable is the man. Not only does he teamkill his entire goddamn side (his murder spree including, but not limited to, shooting a (bitch of a) woman directly IN THE FACE with a ROCKET LAUNCHER), but gets away with it - and later comes back driving a solid gold robot. :c00l:

The Screenshots:

gundam56bd.jpg
A Feddie GM takes an easy potshot at an advancing Zaku 2. When combat reaches this kind of range, both combatants usually switch to melee weapons.

claws4lyfe.jpg
Claws! In! Spaaaace! Four Zeon suits floating in the inky blackness. The fourth one is the Z'Gok Experimental, recently added this patch. The second one is the Gasshia, which is actually the only one out of the four that works in space.

gundam2228.jpg
The game isn't all combat - while you'll still often be in a Mobile Suit, you can walk around town and raid clothes stores. Also, there's a variety of tradeskills, fuelled by resouces that have to be mined through driving a mobile mining rig.

gundam3166.jpg
It's not all giant robots either. Seems that there's a wide range of tanks, including this huge thing - the Guntank V2. Your starting vehicle is a tank, too (a Magella-class, if you're playing Zeon) and they're so shitty they're free to replace if you lose one.

flyin.jpg
A Zaku 2 floating around in orbit. Space is pretty. Real men melee in space.

gundam1112.jpg
This weird-looking machine is the ADZAM - one of Zeons crazy 'mobile armor' superweapon projects. Not pilotable yet, but probably one of the wandering boss-type NPCs.

312317103_359cc947a8_o.jpg
Team SRX, the PA squad. Grown a lot larger since then! I'll post me a roster when I can.

gundam4828.jpg
It's pretty safe to say that this lone GM is fucked - facing down against a vast swathe of Zakus, backed up by a Gallop-class land battleship. Looks like half the Zeon army has locked onto him, too.

And a trio of Really Huge Screenshots (thanks to Shingin), appropriately enough showing off the Really Huge Scale of the game. Also showing the very english-language interface.
UCClient_2006_08_24_04_11_39_67fe7.png
UCClient_2006_08_24_13_41_58_03340.png
UCClient_2006_08_24_13_44_53_455cd.png
Note that you're not even as tall as the foot-segment of a GM.

The Gameplay Videos:
- A large Mobile Suit engagement set around a station. Notice that it's semi-realistic space combat with no friction, or even an up or down?

- A huge space dogfight, wherein this Zeon pilot appears to be ruining a lot of Federation pilots days. Lookit all them shiny radar contacts!

- A GIGANTIC Zeon ground-based force gradually assembles, and proceeds through the desert to clash head-on with Federation forces.

- A Gundam engages a Zeon armor division.

- Death from above! A looooong mid-air saber charge right into a Zakus back.

makosig.jpg
OtakuD00D on

• Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    It looks like the images hosted on the Goon server (with the 4 claw mechs in space) can't be hotlinked to. Also can you add our squad to the new Wiki?

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Akira wrote:
    It looks like the images hosted on the Goon server (with the 4 claw mechs in space) can't be hotlinked to. Also can you add our squad to the new Wiki?

Sure thing.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    I don't suppose there's a OS X client for this game?

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    Max DamageMax Damage Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    hughtron wrote:

Windows 2000/XP only, sorry. Do they even make OS X stuff? At all? Ever?

Seriously - I've never even seen a game that says it supports it.

Max Damage on
    CorrosiveWaffle.png
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So uh, I want in! When can I meet our leader?

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    OtakuD00DOtakuD00D Can I hit the exploding rocks? San DiegoRegistered User regular
    edited December 2006
    After the server maintenence I'll see ya at the hangar by Adelade. :D

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    Eliot DuboisEliot Dubois Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So, you guys are the space nazis, and not the fat cat earthers? Good choice.

Eliot Dubois on
    laliban.jpg
  • Options
    hughtronhughtron __BANNED USERS regular
    edited December 2006
    Max Damage wrote:
    hughtron wrote:

Windows 2000/XP only, sorry. Do they even make OS X stuff? At all? Ever?

Seriously - I've never even seen a game that says it supports it.
    Pretty much the only developer that still does is Blizzard. It's not even really an issue anymore with the move to Intel chips and Boot Camp and Parallels.

hughtron on
    minisy3.gif
  • Options
    ZampanoZampano Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Question: Is the OP here the Goon who started the SA thread, or is he just shamelessly stealing from the Something Awful Forums?

On more relevent matters:

I have never played an MMO before. But this is the first game, probably ever, that has brought that pattern into question for me. Because I love UC Gundam unconditionally.

I get the overall impression that the Federation is hideously outnumbered in this game, though. Mainly because UC Gundam fans all but worship Char Aznable, and because they have cooler suits and the prospect of Mobile Armors in the future.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Zampano wrote:
    Question: Is the OP here the Goon who started the SA thread, or is he just shamelessly stealing from the Something Awful Forums?

I have never played an MMO before. But this is the first game, probably ever, that has brought that pattern into question for me. Because I love UC Gundam unconditionally.

I get the overall impression that the Federation is hideously outnumbered in this game, though. Mainly because UC Gundam fans all but worship Char Aznable, and because they have cooler suits and the prospect of Mobile Armors in the future.

Well yeah you can't paint a Gundam red and make it 3 times as good.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Zampano wrote:

I'm the leader of the PA-side team. Max and I are coordinating the threads now. He gave me all the necessary info for the Op post and I'll keep it updated on this side.

ZeroZero, sorry about being gone for this past hour. Had to go out with the family. Reply again and I'll make my way to Adelaide.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    No, but you can make an Ez-8 out of spare Gundam parts and have it dominate.

Speaking of the Ez-8, I find it interesting that the machine actually has better stats in this game than the Prototype Gundam, despite being made primarily from left over RX-78 components.

Neat.

EDIT: OtakuD00D- Groovy.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    The Prototype Gundam wasn't really that great of a machine. The Ground Gundams were based off the RX-78-2, a huge improvement over the proto. :D

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Ah, I see. It's hard to keep Feddie mobile suits in order, since they're all serial numbers and stuff. At least the Zeons have names.

Zampano on
    BrawlSig.gif
  • Options
    Anonymous RobotAnonymous Robot Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So when do I upgrade?

Asked for a while in-game, people might be too busy to answer. I've got MS Skill 2.7, 1.2 million spacebux, major skills in close quarters, solid shell guns. I'm still using the Zaku II, the same shield, the same heat axe and 7000 dollar machine gun. Is it time for a new suit, upgrades, or a new weapon?

Anonymous Robot on
    Sigs shouldn't be higher than 80 pixels - Elki.

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Seriously, tell me about it. The most we have go to on is

"PROTOTYPE GUNDAM"
    "GUNDAM"
    "GUNDAM MASS PRODUCTION GROUND TYPE"
    "GUNDAM MASS PRODUCTION GROUND TYPE EZ8"
    "GUNDAM G3"
    "FULL ARMOR GUNDAM"
    "GM"
    "GM COMMAND"
    "GM GROUND TYPE"
    "GM SNIPER"

etc

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    AkiraAkira Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    So when do I upgrade?

Asked for a while in-game, people might be too busy to answer. I've got MS Skill 2.7, 1.2 million spacebux, major skills in close quarters, solid shell guns. I'm still using the Zaku II, the same shield, the same heat axe and 7000 dollar machine gun. Is it time for a new suit, upgrades, or a new weapon?

Wait until MS skill 3.0 and get either a Gouf or Dom Tropical Test Type depending on wether you prefer melee or ranged, respectively.

Akira on
    akira.gif
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I just got back. If you're still on Otaku reply and I'll meet you.

• Options
    edited December 2006
    D'oh! Gimme a minute to check some prices in WoW and I'll see ya at Ade's hangar. Look for Ryusei Date.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    OtakuD00D wrote:
    D'oh! Gimme a minute to check some prices in WoW and I'll see ya at Ade's hangar. Look for Ryusei Date.
    Ok cool

• Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I want in on this, I've been hurting for a Good Sci-Fi MMO since SWG went down the shitter thanks to the NGE. plus I really digged Planetside til SoE made some changes I didn't agree with.

1. Where on the site do I obtain a Client?

2. How do I pay for this?

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Read through the entire Wiki, especially the startup sections. It's all in there.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    hmm speaking of Gundam I recently found this..

http://gundam.netmarble.net/

I have no idea about it other that it looks neat. So don't ask.

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    hmm speaking of Gundam I recently found this..

http://gundam.netmarble.net/

I have no idea about it other that it looks neat. So don't ask.

Gundam Capsule Fighter, a Korean action game using the liscence for almost every Gundam universe ever, including Gundam Seed, the most recent.

Looks pretty fun from gameplay videos I saw (and posted on the last UCGO thread). Apparently it just started beta testing in Korea, which means we've probably got quite some wait ahead of us.

This is complete speculation, but I believe that they may play up the 'collectilble toy' capsule angle for the payment system. The game itself is free (as are your first handfull of characters), but you pay more for random new ones, which you can trade with others.

Thats my assumption, at least.

Max Damage on
    CorrosiveWaffle.png
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    I want in on this, I've been hurting for a Good Sci-Fi MMO since SWG went down the shitter thanks to the NGE. plus I really digged Planetside til SoE made some changes I didn't agree with.

1. Where on the site do I obtain a Client?

2. How do I pay for this?

I was trying to look at their web page to find a download and couldn't find one either. I think I'd like to give this a try at least, I've been hankering for new MMO experience.

djklay on
  • Options
    InvisibleInvisible Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Guys, just read the wiki. It walks you through, step-by-step. It's even easier now without the engrish guide.

I finally got my Gouf today. The heat rod is awesome, however, should I be using the sword? It seems more expensive=better, but since the heat rod is more exclusive, I'm not sure if it has better damage or something.

Next-up: acquiring a Rick Dom for space travel.

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Where do I get a Tropical Test Dom?

And is it possible to have an MS good at both ground and space, or do I have to lean toward one?

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    The Rick Dom is in?

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    SirToons wrote:
    The Rick Dom is in?

Yep. The wiki has a partial list of additions this update.

Max Damage on
    CorrosiveWaffle.png
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Even though I'm hip-deep in EVE right now, does UCGO have any free trials yet? I'd love to give this a brief swing before potentially sinking money into it. If the game is anything like that 0080 MS Team trailer, I think I'm hot for it.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    SirToons wrote:
    The Rick Dom is in?

Added with the latest patch (along with aircraft), from the wiki:
    MS-09R Rick Dom - Variant of the Dom fitted for space combat.
    MSM-07E Z'Gok Experimental - A second-generation Z'Gok. Far cooler-looking.
    Full Armor Gundam - Heavily armored weapons platform. Tons o' guns.
    RX-78-3 G-3 GUNDAM - Fantastically expensive third-gen Gundam variant.
    RGM-79 Cold Combat Type - Long-range oriented GM with good radar and sniping capabilities

Invisible on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    Even though I'm hip-deep in EVE right now, does UCGO have any free trials yet? I'd love to give this a brief swing before potentially sinking money into it. If the game is anything like that 0080 MS Team trailer, I think I'm hot for it.

Does nobody read things anymore?

The THIRD LINE of the post (starting with VITAL POINTS) is that there is no free trial yet.

Also, there's gameplay videos at the botom of the post, too. Read, people, read!

Also, it needs to be put in huge bold (preferably flashing and glowing) letters that the client download and signup guide are ON THE WIKI THE WIKI IS LIFE GO TO THE WIKI NOW.

Also, IRC.

Anyway - the gameplay videos are a bit out of date. I'd imagine PvP combat is at least more aesthetically pleasing now the PvP cities are in, as they've got far more interesting terrain, and means that both suits and aircraft have distinct roles.

Max Damage on
    CorrosiveWaffle.png
  • Options
    SpaceDrakeSpaceDrake Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Yeah, my bad on the free trial thing, I seem to have read everything except that. :oops:

Ergh, though, I just can't justify plopping down for some cash on this without giving it a try first, especially since the linked YouTube vids weren't utterly impressive to me. Sorry guys. :x

EDIT: actually one thing I haven't seen covered. How extensive is character customization? I mean like your hair color and face and whatnot. I'd imagine it's a bit basic since the game is mostly about vehicles.

SpaceDrake on
    pa_sig.jpg
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    has anyone tried out the beam bazooka yet?

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    SpaceDrake wrote:
    Yeah, my bad on the free trial thing, I seem to have read everything except that. :oops:

Ergh, though, I just can't justify plopping down for some cash on this without giving it a try first, especially since the linked YouTube vids weren't utterly impressive to me. Sorry guys. :x

EDIT: actually one thing I haven't seen covered. How extensive is character customization? I mean like your hair color and face and whatnot. I'd imagine it's a bit basic since the game is mostly about vehicles.

It's pretty simple, but there's quite a few choices (skin color, hair style, hair color, face). There's actually a whole skill tree devoted to clothes production. I had it posted in the last thread, but I'm only up to level 30.0 skill and have a wide variety of clothes to customize characters with.

Invisible on
  • Options
    djklaydjklay Registered User regular
    edited December 2006
    Max Damage wrote:

Also, it needs to be put in huge bold (preferably flashing and glowing) letters that the client download and signup guide are ON THE WIKI THE WIKI IS LIFE GO TO THE WIKI NOW.

Yes it does, since the comment that talks about the client is below the one about the wiki. Thanks for pointing it out though I really didn't read the wiki line.

djklay on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Fleck0 wrote:
    has anyone tried out the beam bazooka yet?

It kicks enormous amounts of ass. Goddamn shame it east up 15 beam ammo per shot, seems to wear out fast, and takes like five seconds in between shots.

In other words, just like a Bazooka, only it fires beams.

OtakuD00D on
    makosig.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    I went out and bought an MS-09 Rick Dom. What's a good solid shell gun to equip to it? And what is that kendo looking thing on its back, and why can't I use it?

Anonymous Robot on

photo02-film.jpg
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited December 2006
    I'm interested. How's the longevity of this?

Echo on
  • Options
    edited December 2006
    Echo wrote:
    I'm interested. How's the longevity of this?

It really is just like UO. There are no quests, just crafting, PvE and PVP with a few GM-controlled special events sprinkled through out. If you like UO and giant robots, then you'll probably get at least a few good months out of it. However, if you like WoW and elves more, probably not even a week.

Invisible on