As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Deep Crow

Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr.California, USARegistered User regular
edited December 2008 in Critical Failures
The Deep Crow

Comics:
Comic 1
Comic 2

Original Stats taken from here.
(Have now been altered)

What we have:

Deep Crows

Deep Crow: CR12

This creature closely resembles a bird, if one were the size of a building. Its beautiful dark black plumage juxtaposing the monstrosity of four glowing-red eyes staring, unblinkingly while its mandibles bite at the air. The final suprise this creature has to offer reveals itself as four talons, each with claws as sharp as razors.
Always NE Huge magical beast
Init +4; Senses Darkvision 120ft., Low-Light vision, Listen +17, Spot +20
AC 22, touch 14, FF 18 (+10 nat, +4 dex, -2 size); DR 10/ magic
HP: 12d12 +72 (140)
Resist: Acid 10, cold 10, SR 22
Fort +13, Ref +16, Will +11
Spd: Fly 60ft. (average)
Melee: 2 Claws +18 (1d12+6); Bite +15 (2d8+3); Tail Slap +12 (2d6+1)
BAB: +12, Grapple: +26
Atk Options Snatch, flyby attack
Abilities Str 22, Dex 18, Con 16, Int 7, Wis 13, Cha 9
Feats Alertness, Snatch, Multiattack, Hover, Flyby attack
Environment any mountain or underground
Organization solitary
Treasure none
Advancement 13-24 HD (Huge), 25-36 HD (Gargantuan)

Improved Grab The deep crow can choose to start a grapple when it hits with its talon or bite attack. If the deep crow gets a hold on a creature of Small size or less, it squeezes each around for automatic talon damage. The deep crow can drop a creature it has snatched as a free action or use a standard action to fling it aside. A flung creature travels 1d6 x 10 feet, and takes 1d6 points of damage per 10 feet traveled. If the deep crow flings a snatched opponent while flying, the opponent takes this amount or falling damage, whichever is greater.

Flyby attack When flying, the deep crow can take a move action (including a dive) and another standard action at any point during the move. The deep crow cannot take a second move action during a round when it makes a flyby attack.

Shriek: Shrieking is a standard action. Once a Deep Crow Shrieks, it can't Shriek again until 1D4 rounds later. Creatures caught in a the shriek's cone of influence must make a Will save or be or be affected as below:
Deep Crow Hatchling:
DC: 15
Size: 30ft cone
Effect: Shaken for 1D4 rounds.

Deep Crow:
DC: 20
Size: 60ft cone
Effect: Stunned for 1 round

Ancient Deep Crow:
DC: 30
Size: 120ft cone
Effect: Stunned for 1 round, after that shaken for 1D4 rounds.

Crow-Horts

Stalagmen - CR1

Stalagmen are tenacious, vicious creatures. Stalagmen subsist chiefly on rock, with a special taste for rare ores. They inevitably come into conflict with any nearby underground societies such as dwarves, who compete with the stalagmen’s voracious appetite for metals and precious stones. Stone-destroying oozes are the stalagman’s natural enemy, although more resourceful tribes are known to cultivate gelatinous cubes as door guards.
Always N Medium elemental (earth)
Init -1; Senses darkvision 60ft., low-light vision; Listen +2, Spot +2
Languages Earthen
AC 15, touch 9, flat-footed 15, (+6 natural armor, -1 Dex)
hp 15 (2HD)
Immune elemental traits (poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, critical hits and flanking)
Fort +6, Ref -1, Will +0 Spd 20ft.
Melee Spear +3 (1d8+2) or bite +3 (1d6+2)
Ranged Boulder +0 (1d6+2)
Base Atk +1; Grp +3
Abilities Str 15, Dex 8, Con 17, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 7
Feats Alertness
Skills Craft (weaponsmith) +2, Hide +2 (+6 in natural caverns)
Environment any underground
Organization solitary, gang (2-8) or tribe (20-100 plus 2-10 stalagman guardians and 1d4 large earth elementals)
Treasure nonmasterwork spear
Advancement by character class

Sturdy (Ex) A stalagman’s stocky build grants it a +4 bonus to resist trip attempts.

Stalagmen Guardian - CR6

Stalagman guardians are the elite warriors and leaders of stalagman society. A lifetime of chewing lead and rare minerals has made these creatures quick to anger and supremely tough.
Always N Medium elemental (earth), barbarian 5
Init +4; Senses darkvision 60ft., low-light vision; Listen +7, Spot +2
Languages Earthen
AC 18, touch 10, flat-footed 16, (+6 natural armor, +2 large shield); while raging 14
hp 76 (5HD); while raging 90
Immune elemental traits (poison, sleep, paralysis, stunning, critical hits and flanking)
Fort +12, Ref +3 (+5 vs traps), Will +1 (+3 while raging) Spd 30ft.
Melee Longspear +11/+6 (1d8+4) or bite +10 (1d6+4); while raging longspear +13/+8 (1d8+6) or bite +12 (1d6+4)
Ranged Boulder +6 (1d6+4); while raging boulder +6 (1d6+6)
Base Atk +6; Grp +10
Atk Options rage 2/day (10 rounds)
Abilities Str 19, Dex 10, Con 21, Int 8, Wis 11, Cha 9
Feats Alertness, Improved Initiative, Lightning Reflexes
Skills Climb +8, Craft (weaponsmith) +2, Hide +2 (+6 in natural caverns), Intimidate +5
Treasure combat gear
Combat gear +1 Longspear, masterwork large stone shield Sturdy (Ex) A stalagman’s stocky build grants it a +4 bonus to resist trip attempts.

What we need:

Deep Crows -
Deep Crow Hatchling: CR6
Ancient Deep Crow: CR18

Crow-horts -
Deep Crow Food Source that Stalagmen can get for Deep Crow: CR?

Original post:
Now, what I want to do is create less mature versions of the Deep Crow, such as Deep Crow Hatchlings and so forth, perhaps even a veritable plethora of Deep Crow minions that worship the Dark Beast. Crow-horts, if you will.

Or perhaps... a "Deep Crow Nestmaster", lurking at the very depths of hell, waiting to withdraw from it's pit and take the land into a dark new age.

Is this do-able? Will you join me in my dangerous quest to explore something that may devour men's souls while feasting on the delights that it's minions bring it?

twitter-a.png
Ross Mills on

• GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    That pun makes me either hate or love you

This is quite the conundrum

Gumpy on
  • EranusEranus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm all in. In fact, I already adjusted the original build to be more fitting of a CR12.

Eranus on
    Brawl code: 1075-0447-8909 tag: CRONO
    this sig is too tall - Elki
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Saar wrote: »
    Libertarians are straight up kooks. I remember this one guy running for office was a druid. A freaking druid. It said so right in the voter guide sent out to everyone.
    What level was he?
    Did he have an animal companion?
  • Ross MillsRoss Mills Mr. California, USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »
    That pun makes me either hate or love you

This is quite the conundrum

There was going to be one about the minions being Crow-gres. I decided against it.
    Eranus wrote: »
    I'm all in. In fact, I already adjusted the original build to be more fitting of a CR12.

Then by all means, link us in or post the stats!

Well, first of all, what different iterations of a Deep Crow itself can we make, and what kind of CR are we aiming for?

I'd suggest:

Deep Crow Hatchling: CR6
    Deep Crow (above): CR12
    Deep Crow Nestmaster: CR18+

Also, how are these vile creatures organised? Do they themselves serve some dark master, or is there simply a head Deep Crow of some variety?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited March 2008
    I would love to help but I have no real experience with D+D

But if there is anything I can do

I would love to do it

Gumpy on
    edited March 2008

I would love to do it

Can you... draw?

Do you have experience with other systems? I don't see why we can't have separate Deep Crows for them too! Heck, even a Magic the Gathering Deep Crow.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited March 2008
    Ross Mills wrote: »

I would love to do it

Can you... draw?

No not really

I am more of an unskilled kind of guy

I can scream loudly and run around I guess

But if you want deep crow fan art I might be able to produce something

Maybe

Gumpy on
    edited March 2008

Then by all means, link us in or post the stats!

Alright,
    Deep Crow - CR12
    Huge Magical Beast
    Init +4; Darkvision 120ft., Low-Light vision, Listen +17, Spot +12

AC 22, touch 14, FF 18 (+10 nat, +4 dex, -2 size); DR 10/ magic
    HP: 12d12 +72 (140)
    Resist: Acid 10, cold 10, SR 22
    Fort +13, Ref +16, Will +11

Spd: fly 60ft.

Melee: 2 talons +18 (1d12+6); Bite +15 (2d8+3); Tail Slap +12 (2d6+1)
    BAB: +12, Grapple: +26
    and the attack options are the same, though I personally think that the snatch option should be an opposed bull rush to determine how far the character is flung i.e. for every 5 that the deep crow beats the PCs check, the PC is flung 10 feet, and if the PC beats the deep crow, it's just 1d6.

Eranus on
    Libertarians are straight up kooks. I remember this one guy running for office was a druid. A freaking druid. It said so right in the voter guide sent out to everyone.
    What level was he?
    edited March 2008
    Oooh, and I just thought of something! Maybe it should have improved grab on it's claw attacks, so that it can make a grapple attempt if it hits someone with them.

Eranus on
    What level was he?
    edited March 2008
    and the attack options are the same, though I personally think that the snatch option should be an opposed bull rush to determine how far the character is flung i.e. for every 5 that the deep crow beats the PCs check, the PC is flung 10 feet, and if the PC beats the deep crow, it's just 1d6.

Or perhaps just a strength check? I don't think there's anything that the PC can do that would allow it to oppose the check.

(The rest has been changed)

Now, why wouldn't it use it's back claws? (Lore reason) Perhaps there is something anatomically that means they are purely for balancing? Or I guess they would not be able to attack with those back claws if it is using its front ones.
    Oooh, and I just thought of something! Maybe it should have improved grab on it's claw attacks, so that it can make a grapple attempt if it hits someone with them.

I think it should have improved grab only on its beak(?) attack. I don't think those claws would pick up anything.
    Edit: Oh how wrong I am.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's pretty awesome... but as a huge creature that's located underground, would it really have an flight maneuverability of Average?

The comics both have it underground, at least. The mountains would be likely but I think it's one of those "sealed horror" types.

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
    edited March 2008
    It's pretty awesome... but as a huge creature that's located underground, would it really have an flight maneuverability of Average?

Well, it would probably be in a large, cavernous area such as Power Dome A, where it could fly around.

Eranus on
    What level was he?
    edited March 2008
    So if it has improved grab, are we saying that it's going to constrict (a-la comic 2)?

How much damage would it do? That beak looks like it HURTS!

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited March 2008

Or perhaps just a strength check? I don't think there's anything that the PC can do that would allow it to oppose the check.

(The rest has been changed)

Now, why wouldn't it use it's back claws? (Lore reason) Perhaps there is something anatomically that means they are purely for balancing? Or I guess they would not be able to attack with those back claws if it is using its front ones.

I think it should have improved grab only on its beak(?) attack. I don't think those claws would pick up anything.
    Edit: Oh how wrong I am.

Well, for the back claws, I would think that they are purely for perching, and not meant for grabbing prey as they would not be able to bring anything they grab up to it's mouth.

It could have improved grab on it's beak as well, but most birds swoop down and grab with their talons and then eat once they perch.

Eranus on
    What level was he?
  • tastydonutstastydonuts Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, it would probably be in a large, cavernous area such as Power Dome A, where it could fly around.
    Well, yes. The previous owner did dig a little too deep... So I guess it's gravy then!

tastydonuts on
    “I used to draw, hard to admit that I used to draw...”
  • LegionnairedLegionnaired Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Maybe my 4e experience had ruined it for me a little bit, but it just doesn't look very interesting to run...

Maybe some sort of imaginative, horrifying ability?

(MTG card coming soon)

Legionnaired on
  • fadingathedgesfadingathedges Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Power Dome A is just it's nest, too... it probably comes out to feed, if it wants or needs to. I also envision an underground habitat of chasms so vast and deep that the walls are rarely a limiting factor.

I would suggest using "Truly Ancient Deep Crow", instead, for two reasons.

a) It's been mentioned.
    b) The term 'Nestmaster' conjures up images of a force that controls the deep crows, like a necromancer might harness the wills of undead. I would put forth, gentle sirs, that a Deep Crow cannot be yoked.

fadingathedges on
    edited March 2008
    Are the Stalagmen the ones who worship the Deep Crow, or is there a more evil group, perhaps opposed to the Stalagmen, who offer up sacrifices?

I mean, I would imagine that the Stalagmen's shape and body chemistry makes them quite resistant to natural attacks.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited March 2008
    So if it has improved grab, are we saying that it's going to constrict (a-la comic 2)?

How much damage would it do? That beak looks like it HURTS!

Here's how I think it would work: it swoops down and gets off it's attacks, possibly grabbing people in it's talons. If it gets people in it's talons, they then take 1d6+2 constrict damage for every round they're in the talons. It should be a strength check (opposed by deep crow who gets a +6) or escape artist check (DC 20?) to break free of the talons.

Now, on the round after the deep crow grabs someone, it has the option of moving that person from it's talons to it's beak. The player should be able to try to avoid that with a reflex save (DC 23?), in which case they would remain in the talons.

And if the player gets transferred to the beak, for every round he's in there, he should take about 2d8+6 damage. And it would be, again, an opposed strength check (this time deep crow gets +8) or an escape artist check (DC 25?) to break free.

Let me know it that sounds good.

Eranus on
    What level was he?
    edited March 2008
    If there is an occult force worshiping and making sacrifice to the deep crow, the stalagmen would make sense in that they themselves don't look very tasty.

My original understanding was they they were independent ecologies, though.

edit~ Perhaps they begrudgingly feed it out of some symbiotic relationship? Maybe there is a third 'food' species here, something the crow can't get at that the stalagmen can...

fadingathedges on
    edited March 2008
    If there is an occult force worshiping and making sacrifice to the deep crow, the stalagmen would make sense in that they themselves don't look very tasty.

edit~ Perhaps they begrudgingly feed it out of some symbiotic relationship? Maybe there is a third 'food' species here, something the crow can't get at that the stalagmen can...

Do birds not often eat worms?

Perhaps the natural food of the Deep Crow is some sort of dangerous worm creature that the stalagmen are naturally able to find in the worm's tunnels, but the crow cannot travel down?

The Purple Worm is too big.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited March 2008
    Power Dome A is just it's nest, too... it probably comes out to feed, if it wants or needs to. I also envision an underground habitat of chasms so vast and deep that the walls are rarely a limiting factor.

I would suggest using "Truly Ancient Deep Crow", instead, for two reasons.

a) It's been mentioned.
    b) The term 'Nestmaster' conjures up images of a force that controls the deep crows, like a necromancer might harness the wills of undead. I would put forth, gentle sirs, that a Deep Crow cannot be yoked.

Maybe it could be: Ancient deep crow for CR17 or 18 and then Truly Ancient Deep Crow for epic level.

Eranus on
    What level was he?
    edited March 2008

Perhaps the natural food of the Deep Crow is some sort of dangerous worm creature that the stalagmen are naturally able to find in the worm's tunnels, but the crow cannot travel down?

I would think that the Deep Crow is the kind of creature that only has to feast every so many years. Therefore, it usually waits for explorers to err by entering it's domain, possibly luring them in by collecting treasures over the years. Or, in an unlikely situation, it does get hungry and leaves it's roost to search for food, possibly traveling with other deep crows... A murder of Deep Crows!?!

Eranus on
    What level was he?
    edited March 2008
    True, but if fed it would eat, I'd think.

Why though, if basically immune to being devoured by the crow, do the stalagmen feed it?
    Worship?

Maybe it has a terrible shriek when it's annual feeding time comes, (a supernatural or extraordinary power?) a shriek that will crumble stone and the wills of men alike?

fadingathedges on
    edited March 2008
    I would think that the Deep Crow is the kind of creature that only has to feast every so many years. Therefore, it usually waits for explorers to err by entering it's domain, possibly luring them in by collecting treasures over the years. Or, in an unlikely situation, it does get hungry and leaves it's roost to search for food, possibly traveling with other deep crows... A murder of Deep Crows!?!

Perhaps the Stalagmen are actually miners, and they give all the precious materials to the Deep Crow as offerings?
    True, but if fed it would eat, I'd think.

Why though, if basically immune to being devoured by the crow, do the stalagmen feed it?
    Worship?

Maybe it has a terrible shriek when it's annual feeding time comes, (a supernatural or extraordinary power?) a shriek that will crumble stone and the wills of men alike?

I think that Worship is the best option. Although I don't think they're immune, more simply unpalatable. They offer the Deep Crow things so that it will not attack them outright. It is worship out of fear rather than reverance.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited March 2008

I like the sound of that shriek. If I knew anything about fear effects I would find someway to do that, as well as give it sonic damage... 4d6, maybe?

Eranus on
    What level was he?
    edited March 2008

I like the sound of that shriek. If I knew anything about fear effects I would find someway to do that, as well as give it sonic damage... 4d6, maybe?

I think that having the shriek be the Hatchling's main weapon would be more useful. Usually used for calling for food, it can be turned into a defence mechanism.

Or would it be better as you suggest, used as an attack when it's older?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited March 2008
    It could work as the Deep Crow's starting attack. Basically, as it makes its first swoop, it lets out it's shriek and does damage as well as stuns those who do not make a will save, leaving them open to being attacked.

And it would be a free action so that it could use that and attack in the first round. After the first round, however, it doesn't use it's shriek anymore.

Eranus on
    What level was he?
    edited March 2008
    I just took a look at where the Deep Crow stats originated, and the people there made a good point: so far, this thing is quite a melee beast, but it doesn't have anyway to attack at a range. So I think it needs some spell-like abilities or other supernatural abilities.

For instance: maybe it can use a standard action to rain acid on all the PCs below it? Or maybe it has a breath attack? I'm not too sure what it would be, but it needs something.

Eranus on
    What level was he?
    edited March 2008
    It could work as the Deep Crow's starting attack. Basically, as it makes its first swoop, it lets out it's shriek and does damage as well as stuns those who do not make a will save, leaving them open to being attacked.

And it would be a free action so that it could use that and attack in the first round. After the first round, however, it doesn't use it's shriek anymore.

Spell-Like abilities: 1/day - Shriek. All beings other than the Deep Crow that can hear the creature's Shriek must succeed on a DCX Will save or be stunned for 1D4+X rounds.

How does that sound? It needs numbers instead of Xs.
    I just took a look at where the Deep Crow stats originated, and the people there made a good point: so far, this thing is quite a melee beast, but it doesn't have anyway to attack at a range. So I think it needs some spell-like abilities or other supernatural abilities.

For instance: maybe it can use a standard action to rain acid on all the PCs below it? Or maybe it has a breath attack? I'm not too sure what it would be, but it needs something.

I really would not want to start making up things in excess about the Deep Crow's supernatural abilities that fall outside the realm of possibility based on what we've seen so far in the comics. The Shriek is particularly bird-like, even if natural birds don't cause fear in others.

I mean, the Deep Crow's natural environment and interactions with others has hardly been touched upon, apart from that it's evil and from "the deep". So they're up for speculation. So far, however, the Deep Crow has only grabbed and killed.

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited March 2008
    I like the idea of the scream being fear + sonic damage. You could treat it as a breath weapon & there is your range.

Raining acid & casting spells doesn't feel right for him without some explanation, imo.

fadingathedges on
    edited March 2008
    AE Stun for 1d4+X rounds is insane :o

fadingathedges on
    edited March 2008
    AE Stun for 1d4+X rounds is insane :o

Ok I've never made a creature before. :) I also mixed up shaken and stunned.

Then howabout 30ft cone (a-la breath), XDX+X sonic damage. Shaken for XDX rounds?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, I see what you mean by going over the top, and I'll think more deeply upon what needs to be done.

For the shriek, it should probably only be a one round stun, not 1d4+X, b/c that can be quite high (long enough for the Deep Crow to devour someone, probably). However, maybe we could add sonic damage to the shriek and make it something like 4/day, but the stun DC drops a significant amount after the initial shriek (in terms of roleplaying this, it would be b/c the PCs are more prepared for it every successive time).

Eranus on
    What level was he?
    edited March 2008
    and I'll think more deeply upon what needs to be done.

:o
    For the shriek, it should probably only be a one round stun, not 1d4+X, b/c that can be quite high (long enough for the Deep Crow to devour someone, probably). However, maybe we could add sonic damage to the shriek and make it something like 4/day, but the stun DC drops a significant amount after the initial shriek (in terms of roleplaying this, it would be b/c the PCs are more prepared for it every successive time).

Howabout 1/minute, 1-round stun.

For the hatchling, 1D4 rounds shaken.

How much sonic damage? 2D6?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited March 2008
    and I'll think more deeply upon what needs to be done.

:o

Howabout 1/minute, 1-round stun.

For the hatchling, 1D4 rounds shaken.

How much sonic damage? 2D6?

The problem is 1/min. is that it would then take 10 rounds after the Deep Crow uses it once to be able to use it again. So maybe X/day, but it needs to recharge for 1 or 2 rounds after using it?

And yeah, I agree that the hatchling's should be much weaker.

Eranus on
    What level was he?
    edited March 2008
    Shriek: Shrieking is a standard action. Once a Deep Crow Shrieks, it can't Shriek again until 1D4 rounds later. Creatures caught in a the shriek's cone of influence must make a Will save or be or be affected as below:
    Deep Crow Hatchling:

Deep Crow:

Ancient Deep Crow:

Truly Ancient Deep Crow:
    DC: 35
    Effect: Stunned for 1 round, shaken for 2D4 rounds.

That any good?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
  • Salvation122Salvation122 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

I'm pretty sure a flock of Deep Crows is properly called a "slaughter"

Salvation122 on
    edited March 2008
    Deep Crow Hatchling:

Deep Crow:

Ancient Deep Crow:

Truly Ancient Deep Crow:
    DC: 35
    Effect: Stunned for 1 round, shaken for 2D4 rounds.

That any good?

I think all it needs is sonic damage added on. Maybe:
    1 point of damage from the hatchling
    4d8 from the Deep Crow
    8d8 from the Ancient Deep Crow
    8d10 from the Truly Ancient Deep Crow

Eranus on
    What level was he?
    edited March 2008
    4d8 from the Deep Crow

1 damage is pretty crappy, to be honest. At least 1D6 or 2D4, surely?

And does that shriek affect its CR?

Ross Mills on
    twitter-a.png
    edited March 2008
    4d8 from the Deep Crow

1 damage is pretty crappy, to be honest. At least 1D6 or 2D4, surely?

And does that shriek affect its CR?

maybe 2d4 for the hatchling, then.
    I think the Shriek wont affect the CR too badly, b/c with good tactics, it shouldn't be too hard to defeat a Deep Crow with lvl 12 characters.

Eranus on
    What level was he?