As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[OOC] Exalted: Saga of the Rivers

destroyah87destroyah87 They/ThemPreferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
edited May 2008 in Critical Failures
Ok, since the game Arcanis has set up (Over Here) has reached critical mass I figured I'd set this up to catch any who want to play but cannot. just pipe up and we'll see what happens.

Any exalt types are fair game, although I'll be limiting the number of players to 5-6 max.

IC Thread

steam_sig.png
destroyah87 on

• Super NamicchiSuper Namicchi Orange County, CARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    dibs on a slot

Super Namicchi on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm up, if it's PbP.

Anthrax's game has kinda... stalled, and i'm needing stuff to do.

lonelyahava on
  • GraycoinGraycoin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hi there, I'm part of your group apparently. Presently in a life-or-death struggle with my own lack of experience to make a Sidereal Martial Artist, though I kind of made said Sidereal around the environment of Arcansis' game - it might be too soon to really ask, but are the two games going to be in the same setting, related, or completely different?

Don't really mind either way, looking forward to this. :)

Graycoin on
  • Last SonLast Son Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Cydian, Night caste scout and hunter here.
    Full character sheet.
    Name: Cydian
    Concept: Scout / Hunter
    Caste: Night
    Motivation: Purge Cherak of corruption and the Immaculate Order.
    Anima: Glowing violet eyes surrounded by white fire

Attributes:
    Physical(Primary)-Dexterity(●●●●●), Strength(●●●), Stamina(●●●)
    Social(Secondary)-Charisma(●●●), Manipulation(●●●●), Appearance(●●)
    Mental(Tertiary)-Perception(●●●), Intelligence(●●), Wits(●●)

Abilities:
    Caste and Favored
    Archery(●●)
    Athletics(●●●●)
    Awareness(●●●)[Seeing in Poor Light]
    Dodge(●●●●)
    Larceny(●)
    Melee(●●●)[Daiklaves]
    Resistance(●●)
    Socialize(●)[Lying]
    Stealth(●●)[In Wilderness areas]
    Survival(●●●)[Tracking]
    Other
    Lore(●)
    Linguistics(●●)|Skytongue | Low Realm | High Realm|
    Integrity(●●)
    Medicine(●)
    Ride(●)

Background:
    Artifact(●)[Orichalcum Chain Shirt-Golden Shadow Raiment]
    Artifact(●●)[Orichalcum Reaper Daiklave-Judge of Soul]
    Contact(●)[Cult of Illuminated]
    Familiar(●●●●)[Wolf-Laursus]

Charms:
    Melee
    First Melee Excellency
    One Weapon, Two Blows
    Call the Blade
    Summon the Loyal Steel
    Athletics
    Graceful Crane Stance
    Spider-Foot Style
    Feather-Foot Style
    Awareness
    Second Awareness Excellency
    Keen Sight Technique
    Dodge
    Shadow Over Water
    Seven Shadow Evasion

Virtue:
    Compassion(●●), Conviction(●●●), Temperance(●●), Valor(●●)

Virtue Flaw: Heart of Flint:

Intimacies
    The city of Cherak

Essence: 2
    Willpower: 5
    Personal Essence: 11
    Peripheral Essence: 28 – 7 committed/21 free.
    Health Levels: 1|-0, 2|-1, 2|-2, 1|-4, 1|incap

Bonus Points: 15-Athletics(2 Dots)= 13 -Dodge(2 Dot)= 11 -Specializations(Awareness, Melee, Socialize, Stealth, Survival)= 6 -Keen Sight Technique(caste skill)= 2 –Background(Familiar) = 0
    I tried to summarize more and to keep my background short but I think I botched the roll.
    Background Part 1: I am Exalted
    Cydian was born in the city of Cherak in the year RY743, his father was a blacksmith and mother a seamstress. As a child he helped his father with his craft never touching the forge and anvil but instead gathering the materials and polishing the completed work. Spending so much time around weapons and armor he grew fascinated with them, dreaming of one day dawning them himself.

As a teenager he managed to convince some members of the local guard to teach him in the ways of martial combat. When they were called away to combat the roaming undead or bandits he could not follow them but instead went into the nearby woods and pretended that he had, playing out the great heroics that he imagined were happening and awaiting their return. On one such occasion, while he was 16 years old, his ‘triumphant’ return was quickly destroyed as he learned his mother had been killed. A gang war had grown even more chaotic than usual when two sorcerers began casting into the combat and one of their spells had ignited his mother’s shop while she was still inside.

Rage immediately welled up within Cydian and after the grief of his mother’s passing subsided he joined the city guards. Upon doing so his father, having long know this day would come eventually, presented him with a bronze cuirass and short sword. Cydian quickly found that pure-rage and the training he had were no match for the gang’s raw strength and numbers however, after nearly causing several violent incidents his superiors decided to instead assign him as a scout for one of the patrols where he would hopefully be kept far away from the city.

As it turned out the role of scout was one Cydian was quite skilled at and within a few years he had gained a reputation of being able to track any living thing, and a few unliving. His growing reputation and natural charm led him to being able to attend many social gatherings and it was at one that he met Ilnya, the daughter of a well-off merchant and a member of the house Margard, and after a brief courtship they were wed.

During Cydian’s twenty-first year of life his father passed away, his lungs failing from the soot and ash he had inhaled during his work as a blacksmith. A little over a year later Cydian and Ilnya had a son, named Dalarin.

As Cydian approached his twenty fourth birthday he also approached eight years service in the city guard. With that anniversary he intended to retire and instead act as a guard for Ilnya’s father’s caravans. His final mission however was to be an important one, a group of bandits had been terrorizing outlying villages and had even razed one down to nothing. The bandit group was making little effort to cover their path and was located easily by Cydian, whom quickly led the patrol to the location. Surveying the camp it was estimated that the bandits equaled the patrol in numbers but not in equipment or skill and so an open charge was decided upon, from the east as the sun rose.

As the assault began on the bandit’s camp things were looking well as the bandits fell before the guardsmen superior skill, but then the bandit’s leader emerged from his tent clad in a chain hauberk and wielding a vicious looking great axe. He moved with a supernatural speed, dodging numerous blows despite his heavy armor. Each swing of his axe felled a guardsman, sending their crumpled body flying. Soon less than a score of the patrol were still living and the bandit leader turned his attention to Cydian. Cydian managed to barely dodge the first overhand swing but the next swing caught him horizontally across the chest. The wicked axe tore through his cuirass and bit deep into his chest. He felt his feet leave the earth as the force of the blow knocked him up and backwards. As Cydian was falling back toward the ground it felt as if time slowed, the warmth of the sun filled his entire being, strength flooded back to his muscles, and an acute awareness of his surroundings filled his mind. Twisting in midair he managed to land on his feet, skidding backwards half a dozen yards. Time suddenly snapped back into its proper flow and he rushed forward, blade in hand. The dragon-blood, shocked that the blow had not killed Cydian, was unable to dodge all of his strikes. Soon blood poured out of a dozen cuts and the axe struck slower and slower. As Cydian made the last blow, a sharp stab through the other Exalt’s neck, the dragon-blood spit out one final word ”Anathema”.

With that word Cydian realized it was true; he had become a demon of legend and horror but yet… he still felt as himself. Looking into the faces of his fellow guardsmen he noticed that they too knew what he had become. Seeing the looks of shock turn to those of hatred Cydian broke from the combat and raced into the nearby woods.

After spending a day thinking about what he had become, he decided that perhaps the monks were not quite truthful in their preaching. While he was certainly faster and stronger he did not feel as he thought a demon would, in fact he felt very much the same. Gathering his courage he made the decision to return to Cherak and to speak to Ilyna, hopefully he could convince her to run with him beyond the reach of The Realm.

Yet as he approached the city walls he had the distinct feeling that something was not right, and as he approached his and his beloved’s home he realized what it was. The air was tinged with smoke and there was an aura of fear amongst the citizens. Discreet questions at a local tavern confirmed his horrible suspicion; the remains of his former patrol had returned to Cherak ahead of him and alerted the local Immaculate monks of what had happened. A wyld-hunt had been called and in the process of ‘questioning’ his family they had burnt his home to ash, along with Ilnya and Dalarin.

Cydian spent hours wandering through the poorer sections of town, unconsciously avoiding his former friends and family. When a voice at his side whispered his name he assumed that he had finally been caught, but instead it was a small robed man. He revealed himself as a member of the Cult of the Illuminated and counseled Cydian to leave the city at once, giving him the name of another Cult member, a merchant in Greyfalls, whom could help him further.

Thus Cydian found himself leaving his birthplace and homeland and trekking out into a world he had only read about.

Part two, in which I acquire Golden Shadow Raiment and Judge of Soul as well as meet Laursus will be coming tomorrow after work. Or possibly after it is decided where the game will be taking place.

Last Son on
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok, so unless I'm mistaken, the influx of people from Arcanis's group + lonelyahava + Arcanis himself brings us up to the max of six. So I think I'm going to call this game complete, and we'll start as soon as everybody has characters ready to go.

Graycoin, don't worry. I won't be changing the focus of this to socal combat or anything, anything made for Arcanis's style will work fine under me. Now that brings us to the question of setting. I'm leaning towards the North or East, I might stay away from the East because Arcanis is setting his game there, but Creation is large enough that shouldn't be an issue (and could lead to the PC's seeing or hearing of the exploits of the other group.)

tl;dr: I'm thinking of the North, East, NorthEast, EastNorth or combinations theirof. Thoughts and Opinions?

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    I give you the greatest Solar Hero...
    Lion, Eclipse Caste Martial Artist

Concept: Arrogant youth

Motivation: To form alliances with beings outside Creation, retake a position as one of the God-kings, and firmly cement his power base

Anima: A great roaring, golden lion amidst swirling storm clouds

Attributes:

Physical
    Strength 3
    Dex 5
    Stamina 3

Social (+2 to Cha and Manip rolls from gem)
    Charisma 4
    Manipulation 2
    Appearance 3

Mental
    Perception 2
    Intelligence 3
    Wits 2

Abilities:

Martial Arts(f) 5
    Athletics(f) 3
    Awareness 3
    Dodge(f) 4
    Integrity 3
    Presence(f) 3
    Resistance(f) 3
    Linguistics(c) 3 (Rivertongue, High Realm, Low Realm)
    Socialize(c) 3
    Lore 1

Backgrounds:

Artifact 1 (The Fists of Thunder)
    Artifact 2 (Bindings of the King)
    Manse 3 (Gem of Grace)
    Cult 1

Charms
    Second Martial Arts Excellency
    Ox-body Technique (-1, -2, -2)
    Shadow over Water
    Seven Shadows Evasion
    Fists of Iron Technique
    Sledgehammer Fist Punch
    Dragon Coil Technique
    Hammer on Iron Technique
    Thunderclap Rush Attack
    Solar Hero Form

Combos:

Thunderclap Levels the Mountain
    (Second Melee Excellency, Fists of Iron Technique, Hammer on Iron Technique, Thunderclap Rush Attack, Seven Shadows Evasion)

With a quick focusing kiai shout, Lion rushes forward with the speed of lightning, slamming his foe with four punches too fast for the naked eye; the blows are delivered with such force that the impact sounds like peals of thunder.

Attacks: (bracers increase damage by 2)

Smashfist: +1 Acc, 7B, Defense 3, Rate 3, Speed 5

11 dice, 12B

PDV 7 (dex 5 + m.a. + 3 smashfist/2 round up)
    DDV 6 (dex 5 + dodge 4 + ess 3 / 2)

Health Levels
    -0 o
    -1 ooo
    -2 oooo
    -4 o
    Incap ooo

Virtues

Compassion 1
    Temperance 3
    Conviction 3
    Valor 2

Virtue Flaw: Overindulgence

Essence 3

Willpower 6

Personal 15
    Peripheral 36 (8 Committed)

Background
    The Solar Hero known only as Lion is an enigmatic youth with a sharp and distinct vision.

Born in an unremarkable village to unremarkable parents, his destiny was certain: the boy was going to be farming his whole life, working and toiling until the day he died with the hope that maybe his descendants could have it just a little easier.

However, the boy had something in abundance no sane mortal harbors, because it only brings sorrow. He had ambition. As he toiled in the fields, growing up hardy and strong, he wanted more. When the traders came to his village every year for the harvest festival, he saw their fineries. He saw how the peasantry worshiped the noble class. And as he grew older, the concept of power cemented itself in his mind, along with the desire to hold it.

At the age of 16, he left his village with just a walking stick and a set of plain robes. It wasn't long before he met with trouble on the roads in the form of cutpurses, but the boy's disarming personality and confidence swayed the bandits and he ended up joining with them. He quickly became the group's 'face', a disarming lad whose job was to preoccupy the caravan with false stories so the others could waylay them.

It was on one of these raids that the bandits scored big, acquiring a sizable chunk of wealth, thanks to the boy’s fast-talk. Unsurprisingly, the bandits were overcome by greed and the newest member found himself tossed in with the rest of the caravan at blade point. The betrayal now clear in his mind, he felt white-hot rage well up inside him. How dare these men... these dogs... take what is his?

He began to struggle, and eventually he broke free from his bonds, and grabbed the nearest thing he could as a weapon. Emerging from one of the wagons, he saw the bandits laughing and celebrating.

Only one of the bandits made it out alive that night. As the bodies of the rest of the bandits lay dead and broken, the newly exalted Eclipse caste stepped over the last remaining bandit as he cowered, the lions and stormclouds of the Solar's anima flaring. “Go,” said the exalt, “and tell your story. Make sure they know what happens when dogs try and steal from the righteous.”

After three days of wandering aimlessly, the young drifted into a forest. One careless step and the ground gave way, the roots and soil falling away into a deep cavern. The new hole let a pillar of the sun shine directly through, and he found himself in front of a white marble building. As he stepped forward, the Eclipse caste mark flickered to life on his forehead, mirroring itself on the door. It opened, and he stepped in.

He emerged later that day, finally having discovered his purpose. He had rediscovered his belongings. He had rediscovered his heritage.

His name was Lion. He was a God-king, and his birthright would not, could not be denied him.

Description
    Lion is now in his twenties; it’s been a few years since his Second Breath and the rediscovery of his prior incarnations in the Thunderking’s Final Rest. He stands at an even six foot, and he wears a simple white vest and gold pants that allow maximum economy of movement. His hair is a bright shade of auburn almost bordering on red, and his blue eyes convey confidence and a sense of purpose.

Lion displays two dominant attributes: confidence bordering on arrogance and an overbearing sense of entitlement. He is not a person to be denied; thankfully, he is not prone to overblown displays of hedonism.

He has already started to establish himself as a god: in his manse, the Thunderking’s Final Rest, he has begun assembling a small group of mortals who see him as a purely ascendant and all-knowing being. These mortals tend to his manse and over him daily worship and supplication.

On the Fists of Thunder and the Bindings of the King
    The orichalcum bracers and smashfists Lion wears are one of the few artifacts that were interred in the First Age and remained undisturbed until the future incarnation of the true owner rediscovered them. Worn by the incarnations of the Thunderking, the pairs of artifacts are symbols of the Solars’ glory and attest to their divine right to rule.

Super Namicchi on
    edited March 2008
    To be honest I like the idea of setting it in the East, after all this game was spawned from that one, seems kind of appropriate. :P Doubly so as I like the idea of the two groups hearing about each other from time to time. Of course, if this proves problematic I'm good anywhere, I've never really played before so I'm just glad to be doing something in the first place really.

Graycoin on
  • PapillonPapillon Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Character sheet copied and pasted from the other thread.

I would prefer to be in the North, as that's where my character is from at the moment. Depending on the final starting point I might change that though.
    Deadly Shadow
    Night Caste Assassin
    Motivation: Eliminate corruption in the Realm.
    Anima Banner: Silver hooded figure with piercing golden eyes

Deadly Shadow worked as an assassin under a Magistrate who continued his task of policing the Northern Threshold even after the Scarlet Empress disappeared. With the Empress gone however, the Magistrate found it harder and harder to carry out his judgments, so he recruited assassins as Archons and continued operating as a vigilante leader. One day the family of a man he killed trapped him and killed him, along with most of his Archons. Deadly Shadow managed to escape and make his way back to the Magistrate's base where he was visited with Solar Exaltation. He has vowed to continue his former master's work of bringing justice to the Realm.

Attributes:
    Physical: Strength ●●●, Dexterity ●●●●●, Stamina ●●●
    Social: Charisma ●, Manipulation ●●●●, Appearance ●●
    Mental: Perception ●●●●, Intelligence ●●, Wits ●●●

Abilities:
    Dawn:
    *Archery ●●● (Power Bows ●●)
    *Melee ●●

Night:
    Athletics ●●
    Awareness ●●●●
    Dodge ●●●●
    Larceny ●●●
    Stealth ●●●

Zenith:
    *Integrity ●●
    Performance ●
    * Presence ●●
    Resistance ●
    Survival ●●

Eclipse:
    Linguistics ● (Low Realm, Skytongue)
    Socialize ●

Twilight:
    Craft (Water) ● (Poisons ●●)
    * Investigation ●●

Charms:
    First Excellency (Archery), Third Excellency (Stealth),
    Graceful Crane Stance, Lock-Opening Touch, There is No Wind, Easily Overlooked Presence Method, Reflex Sidestep Technique, Seven Shadow Evasion (flaw: Conviction), Shadow Over Water
    Ox-Body Technique (1*-1, 2*-2)

Virtues:
    Compassion ●●, Conviction ●●●●, Temperance ●, Valor ●●●
    Virtue Flaw: Heart of Flint
    The characters heart hardens to all emotion, causing him to act considering only efficiency. His reduced tact imposes a two-die penalty on all Social rolls for the rest of the day.
    Limit Break Condition: The character witnesses injustice he cannot effectively prevent.

Willpower ●●●●● ●●
    Essence ●●
    Personal Pool: 13 total, 13 available
    Peripheral Pool: 31 total, 8 committed, 22 available

Backgrounds:
    Contacts ●●
    Resources ●●
    Artifact (Breastplate) ●
    Artifact (Long Powerbow) ●●●
    Manse ●●

Health Levels:
    1/-0 3/-1 4/-2 1/-4 1/Incapacitated

Relevant Possessions:
    Orichalcum Breastplate "Take me up" (Soak +8L/+6B, Hardness 3L/3B, Attune 2)
    Orichalcum Long Powerbow "Lay me aside" (Speed 5, Accuracy +3, Damage +6L, Rate 3, Range 400, Attune 6)
    Gemstone of Surface Thoughts (socketed in Powerbow)
    Exceptional Lockpicks (+1 to Larceny)
    Coral Snake Venom

Manse:
    Located high in the northern mountains, the Tower of Golden Dreams was once a Solar before it was abandoned. The tight winding stairs leading up to the tower end abruptly twenty feet below the tower, with the final approach being a tricky vertical climb -- it was not built to accommodate visitors. The ground floor contains the main hall, dining room, the kitchen and several withdrawing rooms. These rooms show signs of recent occupation, as the tower's remote location has made it an ideal hideout for bandits, and most recently a vigilante magistrate. The second floor is the barracks, where the Solars and their men would have slept. This area has been left almost entirely undisturbed as most of the rooms are sealed by First Age wards. The stairway continues up past several more sealed floors before opening up onto the roof of the tower, which commands an excellent view of the surrounding countryside.

Deadly Shadow's breastplate and powerbow were found in one of the rooms on the second floor. Although previously sealed, it clicked open as he approached. The room looked as though the previous owner had left in haste, perhaps leaving his spare equipment behind. Like their current owner, Deadly Shadow's breastplate and powerbow are purely functional, hardly betraying their artifact nature except for their golden sheen. Inscribed on them are their names "Take me up" and "Lay me aside", reminding the Solar they should not hesitate to put themselves in danger, but should be slow to take a life -- although Deadly Shadow doesn't really agree with this philosophy.

Papillon on
    edited March 2008
    I'd like to play in either the Northlands or the Scavenger lands.

Last Son on
  • lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm up for wherever. I'm still learning my way around this system, so it might take me a bit. But bear with me, i'm working on the character right now....

probably, most likely, a lunar

lonelyahava on
  • destroyah87destroyah87 They/Them Preferred: She/Her - Please UseRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ok, so after some thought, the game will take place in the East. around/in Great Forks (or Nexus) specifically, I think. I just feel more comfortable running a game there then in the wastes of the frozen North.

Papillion, you can change your character's location if you want or could say that he traveled here for reasons, it's rare but not unheard of to have people traveling that far. Kinda leaves the manse idea lacking, but there's no reason you can't keep the description the same except have it located atop a (relatively) small mountain in the wilderness near the Yellow River.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Ok so we have
    1) Eclipse whom desires to be a god-king.
    2) Night whom wants to purge the Realm of corruption.
    3) Night whom seeks to destroy the Immaculate order and free his homeland.
    4) Sidereal Martial Artist
    5) A Lunar

Who is our sixth? Also, due to the location(mainly how far it is from Cydian's home) and character similarities I might roll up a different character. Any suggestions on what might be useful?

I'm kinda leaning toward a Twilight caste, searching for lost knowledge from the first age in order to help the weak. She desires to see the health and situation of all humans rise. Not so much a crafter or sorcerer as a bastion of knowledge. She knows that not all share her viewpoint however and has learned how to defend herself and those whom cannot defend themselves.

Last Son on
    edited March 2008
    Ok, I see where I messed up adding. You're right, there's only five people playing. That means I could accept one more character if somebody else wants to play.

If you do decide to roll a new character, that Twilight sounds just fine. Or go with whatever else you want.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    How much is the game going to focus on combat versus social interaction?

Actually building the twilight idealist made me realize that without a lot of social combat and maneuvering this would be a rather boring character to play. If the other players would prefer a more combat-oriented game I'll go with something else.

Also a few questions that arose building that Twilight.

1) If linguistics is a favored ability and I assign a BP to it for specializations do I get 2 different accents or is it harder for people to spot that I'm faking the one I choose?
    2) Does a Hearthstone double your essence recovery? The 'Manse' description on page 113 kinda suggests it does, but the sentence is screwed up. There is an extra word in there and it doesn't make sense grammatically.

Last Son on
    edited March 2008
    Ok, let's see.

0) Character Concerns: Hmm, you may want to shy away from heavy social combat stuff. Because whenever I try to read the Social Combat rules my eyes cross. Well that, and Exalted C-span is not my idea of fun. :P
    I won't be ignoring Social combat, but it will not be the main focus most likely.

1)The way I'll handle this is that it's your choice, you can use one BP to 'buy' two accents (and perhaps have the accent 'slip' under stress.) or one accent and be able to fool a native speaker all the time.
    2)Ok, I've read the Manse background. I think what it means is that, with a hearthstone, you regan 2x(Manse Background) motes per hour.

i.e. if you have Manse 4 for a Seacalm Gemstone, you regain 8 motes/hr if you have the stone set in an artifact socket. However, if you are resting in the Manse itself you regain 16 motes/hr instead.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Papillion, you can change your character's location if you want or could say that he traveled here for reasons, it's rare but not unheard of to have people traveling that far. Kinda leaves the manse idea lacking, but there's no reason you can't keep the description the same except have it located atop a (relatively) small mountain in the wilderness near the Yellow River.

Could Graycoin's character arrange to transport my character from the North to the Great Forks area? I'm thinking that my character has heard heard rumours the Wyld Hunt might come looking for me, so when a mysterious stranger offers to take me to safety for a few months my character decides he's not going to be able to bring anyone to justice if he's dead. Of course, the offer is probably part of some Sidereal plot-within-a-plot in which he's trying to enmesh my character. This would also provide some reason why our characters would have met.

If this is too much of a stretch, I'll probably keep my character statistics quite similar, but rework the background quite a bit.

Papillon on
    edited March 2008
    If Graycoin agrees with it, that's totally fine with me.

Saves me a lot of trouble and everybody's happy which is always a nice bonus.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Well, I'm not 100 percent sure what I'm agreeing to here, given I'm just now getting a handle on what the heck I'm building in terms of a character, but if it'll make things run smoother, sure, I'll work with it.

Speaking of that, still working on a character. Its kind of slow going between trying to learn how to make a sheet, figuring out all these resplendent whathaveyous and astrological malarky, not to mention making a character for the first time. Hopefully the game doesn't start for a couple of days at least. :P Lemme know if you need to know anything terribly specific though, dest.

Graycoin on
    edited March 2008
    Yay, charm questions.

1) Ok guys, tell me what the downside is in the charm "Iron Skin Concentration". Because as I'm reading it if I have a Stamina+Resistance of 9 I could pretty much shrug off any blow made by someone with an essence of 3 or less for just two motes, and even if I somehow botch it I still get 4A/8L/8B soak.

2) I know a flurry is a single 'action', but will all of the strikes within a flurry count as a single 'attack'? Specifically can I perform a flurry of 2+ attacks while using the charm 'Hungry Tiger Strike' and double the successes on all of the hits for just 1mote? Or would I need to spend motes equal to the number of strikes in the flurry?

Last Son on
    edited March 2008
    no, each attack within a flurry is a separate attack.

Super Namicchi on
    edited March 2008
    also, something to note: Lion is probably going to seek out different styles of martial arts as a means of gaining power. Since he is an Eclipse caste, any charm short of Sidereal Martial arts is open to him

basically finding some way to learn a few of the Immaculate styles would be pretty awesome

Super Namicchi on
    edited March 2008
    Last Son wrote: »
    Yay, charm questions.

1) Ok guys, tell me what the downside is in the charm "Iron Skin Concentration". Because as I'm reading it if I have a Stamina+Resistance of 9 I could pretty much shrug off any blow made by someone with an essence of 3 or less for just two motes, and even if I somehow botch it I still get 4A/8L/8B soak.

2) I know a flurry is a single 'action', but will all of the strikes within a flurry count as a single 'attack'? Specifically can I perform a flurry of 2+ attacks while using the charm 'Hungry Tiger Strike' and double the successes on all of the hits for just 1mote? Or would I need to spend motes equal to the number of strikes in the flurry?

1)There really is no downside to Iron Skin Concentration. It's a decent defensive charm, just like a lot of dodge and some melee charms, its purpose is to give characters a "No you don't button." in regards to attacks and damage.

2) Arcanis got it right.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    Iron Skin is decent, but it's pretty much a poor man's Perfect Defense.

Super Namicchi on
    edited March 2008
    Speaking of perfect defenses... I'm updating my character sheet for the flaw for SSE (oops).

Papillon on
    edited March 2008
    Ok, I've decided on a new character. Zenaar, Zenith caste, villager turned war-priest.

Background part one(Shorter this time, I swear!)
    Zenaar(Zen-are) was born under a different name, since discarded, in a farming village south of Nexus on the western bank of the Gray River. When he was 18 years of age the village had begun to grow larger than their fields could support and it was decided that a number of families would move and settle into a nearby-untouched valley. Zenaar’s family was one of the ones whom volunteered to go.

At first things seemed to be going well, the soil was fertile and there was numerous trees for lumber with which to build houses. But the valley was under the watch of a pack of Dogs of the Unbroken Earth and once the first homes were constructed they made their presence known, once night fell the spirits attacked the village, tore down their buildings, and rent their flesh with claws. Less than a dozen of the villagers survived, scattered in all directions.

Zenaar scrambled up the hills uncasing the valley stopping, exhausted, only once he reached the summit and realized the spirits were no longer chasing him. Filled with feelings of sorrow and rage he screamed at the heavens and surrounding stones, demanding answers for why the night’s events had occurred. He was shocked when he received a response.

A vision of the Unconquered Sun appeared to him and told him of a time when spirits were held in check by great leaders, a time of peace for the citizens of creation, and how those times could once again come about. Zenaar sat entranced as the words of the God and when the vision faded he found that the sun had risen to its peak in the sky and a new vitality flowed through him.

Destroyah, would you permit me to use a custom Hearthstone? I wanted to use an Earth-stone but the only ones in the book are level 4/5. I was thinking of the following.

Gem of Flint(●● or ●●●)
    This hearthstone is a rough black sphere. While he bears the stone the character's skin hardens, adopting the characteristics of Flint. The wielder gains +2L/+4B soak, this has no effect on aggravated damage.

Also, are we using the stats from the Armorium or the rulebook?

Last Son on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I haven't actually played any Exalted, but I do have a little bit of experience with WW systems, and I intend on picking up books of this series(no idea which ones I should get). As far as what I would most likely roll, prolly Solar or Abyssal knight type character. Light, Medium, or no armor. Nodachi with most of my "Exaltedness" going into being super-fast strong with it if that is the way it works.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited March 2008
    That sounds fine Brody, for books, Exalted 2nd edition will be sufficient if you want to play a Solar (or an abyssal for that matter, just give the charms spooky names instead of heroic). There is an Abyssal sourcebook in the works but it hasn't been released yet. (I think April of this year)

Last Son, for a Manse 2 stone it will grant: +1L/+2B. A Manse 3 will give +2L/+3B. I think that's more in line with the power of the standard stones in the book.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    This isn't going to start really soon, is it?

I really really want to play a Sidereal especially since it seems like there's plenty of Solars for the main cast, but trying to absorb all the rules involved in playing them makes my brain vomit like its been on a roller coaster one too many times. Its slow going.

Graycoin on
    edited March 2008
    The game will start when all characters are finished (or mostly so), just so long as you don't take more then a month, I wouldn't worry about it. :wink:

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    me, on the other hand, I am much less forgiving; if you don't finish soon I will dispatch ninja teams

Super Namicchi on
  • BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, with the likely hood of WoW being down all day, and having my wisdom teeth removed in about an hour, I'll make a hearty attempt at grabbing at least the core rule-book and start throwing my character together.

To make things faster once I do get the book though, is my character idea sound as far as game mechanics are concerned. If any of you have seen Fate/Stay Night, I'm thinking of a character kind of like Assassin, or at least being able to use Tsubame Gaeshi type attacks.

Brody on
    "I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
    edited March 2008
    The idea's fine.

As long as the effects are the same as the charms in the book, you can describe it however you wish. Matter of fact, Awesome descriptions are encourged, The game has rules for giving bonus dice for good description. 'S called Stunting.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
    edited March 2008
    also, if I haven't made it clear: if you have any character questions/need help, I'm on AIM or MSN and always willing to chit-chat and give help

Super Namicchi on
    edited March 2008
    Full background has been completed.
    Zenaar(Zen-are) was born under a different name, since discarded, in a farming village south of Nexus on the western bank of the Gray River. When he was 20 years of age the village had begun to grow larger than their fields could support and it was decided that a number of families would move and settle into a nearby-untouched valley. Zenaar’s family was one of the ones whom volunteered to go.

At first things seemed to be going well, the soil was fertile and there was numerous trees for lumber with which to build houses. But the valley was under the watch of a pack of Dogs of the Unbroken Earth and once the first homes were constructed they made their presence known, once night fell the spirits attacked the village, tore down their buildings, and rent their flesh with claws. Less than a dozen of the villagers survived, scattered in all directions.

Zenaar scrambled up the hills uncasing the valley stopping, exhausted, only once he reached the summit and realized the spirits were no longer chasing him. Filled with feelings of sorrow and rage he screamed at the heavens and surrounding stones, demanding answers for why the night’s events had occurred. He was shocked when he received a response.

A vision of the Unconquered Sun appeared and spoke to him of a time when spirits were held in check by great leaders, a time of peace for the citizens of creation, and how those times could once again come about. Zenaar sat entranced, listening to the words of the God and when the vision faded he found that the sun had risen to its peak in the sky and a new vitality flowed through him.

Desperate to learn more Zenaar began to wander aimlessly throughout the scavenger lands seeking out scholars or anyone else whom he thought could teach him, he had little luck finding anyone to help however. But when he approached the Marukan mountain range, he began to have strange half-glimpsed dreams. The dreams led him high into the mountains to a cave then far below the surface to the heart of the mountain, the light from his caste-mark leading the way. After several days hiking through the caves he arrived at a door carved of the blackest Onyx.

At first the door resisted his attempt to push it open but after a moment of exertion his caste-mark flared brightly and the door swung open easily on its hinges. Inside he found a large room(50’x50’) carved of black onyx, white onyx bands ran from each corner of the room forming a rough X across the middle of the floor, and swirls of red were visible in the walls. Set into the northern and southern walls was a single door each. Drawn immediately to the center of the room he sat down and meditated on his recent dreams. He meditated in this way for a year and a day, stopping only to sleep and venture to the surface for food.

His head now filled with memories of the first age, explored the other two rooms. In the Southern room he found a shining gold breastplate and a massive hammer under a plaque that read, “May your faith protect you, and your judgment be divine.” In the Northern room he found a Shallow Onyx well, at the bottom of which sat an egg-sized stone which was black with white bands.

Armed with these tools he set forth back into the world. His first destination was the village where he was born and the valley where his family died. Confronting the Dogs of Unbroken Earth that resided there he faced them in battle. When he emerged victorious he made no attempt to kill or enslave them, he only made them swear an oath to allow humans to settle the valley. In exchange the humans would sacrifice 2 cows at the change of every season to the spirits.

When he walked into the village to tell the villager’s of this they were skeptical, remembering the previous attempt to settle the valley. But encouraged by Zenaar some eventually made the decision to move. Zenaar remained with them for three seasons, ensuring that both sides kept their side of the bargain before deciding that he had to move on.
    Appearance
    Zenaar is 23 years old and stands 6' 3". He wears a pair of light brown pants and a white shirt under his breastplate. His hair is a dirty-blond color that hangs down to his shoulders and his eyes are a deep green.

Also, are we using the stats from the Armorium or the rulebook?

Last Son on
    edited March 2008
    go ahead and use Armorium stats.

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    so i just started reading Arcanis's thread and it was like epic awesomeness. So i'd be intrested in joining if u still have a spot. I'm gonna need a lot of help makin a char tho, like horseshoe level help. Perhaps more.

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lots folks abound to help y' out, Crovaxan.

INeedNoSalt on
  • CrovaxanCrovaxan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    alright so assuming i have a spot, anyone that can walk me through char creation through pm or aim/msn?

Crovaxan on
    1850973-1.png
    Crovax.436 Steam: Crovaxan
    edited March 2008
    Ok, so correct me if I'm wrong but so far, it looks like we've got 7 people with characters/espressed interest in this game.

Arcanis- Lion
    Last Son- Zenaar
    Papillon- Deadly Shadow
    Graycoin- (Sidereal Martial Artist)
    Brody- (Abyssal)
    Crovaxan- ?
    lonelyahava- ?

Ok, Seven is the absolute max I'm willing to work with. So any other people are going to have to be turned away.
    I'm sorry :(

destroyah87 on
    steam_sig.png
  • INeedNoSaltINeedNoSalt with blood on my teeth Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Crovaxan wrote: »
    alright so assuming i have a spot, anyone that can walk me through char creation through pm or aim/msn?

You can reach me on AIM as Aluminium2518, if you want.

@Brody: There's no recent Abyssals book, so it's a lot of making stuff up and guesswork. Probably wouldn't recommend it if you're unfamiliar with the system.

INeedNoSalt on