As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Game On] Marvel: Ultimate Alliance (360)

s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Games and Technology
314ql38.jpg

What is it?
M:UA is a 4-player, co-op brawler/beat-'em-up. It's available on pretty much every conceivable platform. In t his case, the Game On is for the 360 version over Live.

The game is basically RPG-lite exclusively focused on combat. Sure, I suppose there is some sort of story, but it sucks. It's a transparent and poorly-written excuse to justify having the largest and most haphazard collection of Marvel characters every featured in a game, which is awesome.

In all honesty, if you've played X-men Legends, before, you've played this game. Same developer, same engine. If you've played the Dark Alliance or Champions series, you have a damned good idea. If you're a throw-back, think of a modern version of Secret of Mana, or even a modern version of Gauntlet.

Characters?
The characters vary by the platform, but the 360 version has:

Initially playable
Captain America, Colossus, Deadpool, Electra, Human Torch, Iceman, Invisible Woman, Iron Man, Luke Cage, Moon Knight, Ms. Marvel, Mr. Fantastic, Spider-man, Spider-woman, Storm, Thing, Thor, Wolverine

Unlockable
Black Panther, Blade, Daredevil, Dr. Strange, Ghost Rider, Nick Fury, Silver Surfer

Marketplace
Cyclops, Nightcrawler, Hawkeye, Hulk, Magneto, Venom, Dr. Doom, Sabertooth

The Marketplace characters are 500 points for the 4 heroes, 500 points for the 4 villains, and 800 points for both. Either way, if you're going to play, you need to go on the Marketplace and get the (free) teaser download so that you can play with the people who do have the character packs.

How long is it?
Here's the catch for the game on... the game's pretty long. There's basically no way anyone will play through it in one session. Plus, it saves all the data for that session on the host's machine. So we're looking for some minor commitment from the players and especially the hosts. If I had to take a stab at it, I'd say it's a good 10+ hours, maybe even 15+, depending on how much of the extra content you do.

Dammit! I don't have it!
Don't worry! M:UA's a pretty old title, now. You can pick it up used at your local EBstop for about $15. Also, take a look for the current Xbox 360 Pro pack-in, which includes M:UA and Forza Motorsport 2. It might be even cheaper.
Accualt wrote: »
A Gold Edition was released that include the eight extra characters. You can find it in most stores for $30.

It is $27 used from Gamestop while the original version is $15. You can buy the eight characters off of live for $10 so...$2 cheaper if you do that and DL the character pack.

So how is this game on working?
As of yet, there's no set game(s). I figure that we'll start off by having people post what times they can play (don't forget time zone), whether or not they're willing to host, and if they have a character they're dead-set on playing, which one it is. Once we get some consensus, we'll break everyone down into groups and set up the actual games.

Some miscellaneous notes
  • The game's netcode is a bit lacking. Give Raven credit, though, the last few games they made, the netcode wasn't even functional because they appear to be using the chimps-with-typewriters approach. Here, it's just a touch laggy. It's perfectly playable, though.
  • The game's got two modes: co-op, and arcade. I'm thinking arcade's more fun, but we'll leave it up to the hosts who runs what. The difference is, arcade is like Gauntlet - 1 player per character, and it's quasi-competitive. Co-op has the team of 4 characters and you can switch between them, even if you have fewer than 4 players. The AI is pretty bad, though.

So, with that out of the way, I'm available most weekdays after 2pm EST. I'm free all day Friday. Weekends are up the in the air, but I'm pretty flexible.

I'm also willing to host.

...and I want to play as Cyke or Hawkeye or Iceman.

s3rial one on

• Options
    FireWeaselFireWeasel Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sign me up! I loved this but never got to do co-op.

I'm home every day after 5 p.m. EST....just let me know which days are up so I can arrange to be on time.

FireWeasel on
    AC:CL Wii -- 3824-2125-9336 City: Felinito Me: Nick
  • Options
    AccualtAccualt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    A Gold Edition was released that include the eight extra characters. You can find it in most stores for $30.

It is $27 used from Gamestop while the original version is $15. You can buy the eight characters off of live for $10 so...$2 cheaper if you do that and DL the character pack.

I'm in for this. I'll probably play one of the eight new guys who's costumes I haven't completely unlocked...which is all of them except Hulk and Cyclops.

The only thing that sucks about Arcade mode is if someone plays as Silver Surfer or Venom they can absolutely dominate by spamming one attack. Also the more useful guys, who do more than just damage enemies, get dick in Arcade mode even though they are keeping the team alive. Of course Arcade mode is really just good for talking about how large your penis is, as I recall. I don't think your character advancement is neutered by it at all.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Accualt wrote: »

I'm in for this. I'll probably play one of the eight new guys who's costumes I haven't completely unlocked...which is all of them except Hulk and Cyclops.

The only thing that sucks about Arcade mode is if someone plays as Silver Surfer or Venom they can absolutely dominate by spamming one attack. Also the more useful guys, who do more than just damage enemies, get dick in Arcade mode even though they are keeping the team alive. Of course Arcade mode is really just good for talking about how large your penis is, as I recall. I don't think your character advancement is neutered by it at all.
    That's actually a good point. Maybe a better idea would be to play co-op and just remove the computer players, if there are any.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Something else of note is if the host has all of the unlock able characters unlocked than any of the players can use them. You can still get the unlock achievement as well by fulfilling the requirements.

I don't know if you can turn of the computer players in co-op but you can switch between them, which is kind of nice. Besides I don't think we'll have an issue getting four people together for this. We should try playign on whatever the hardest difficulty is...for the achievement.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    You know, I was just thinking... in Arcade mode, the orbs aren't shared, either. That's a bit of a downer. Co-op's definitely sounding better.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I never even thought of playing this game online, but I'm up for it now. This game is definitely meant to be played with other people. My Xbox live name's TheMegaTrevor and my schedule is fairly flexible.

Trevor on
  • Options
    BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I would love to, but I only have a Silver Account. Have fun, guys.

Someone use Spider Woman for me.

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    I would love to, but I only have a Silver Account. Have fun, guys.

Someone use Spider Woman for me.

I'm on it! :winky:

Accualt on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Well, lucky me, I only work on Monday and the weekend this week so I have Tues, Weds and Fri free. All day. As well as possibly later on this evening.
    (BTW, I'm in PST)

And fuck it, in honor of RDJ, I'm picking Iron Man.
    (Should I start drinking before/during play then?)

EDIT: Oh, important safety tip: If you have the regular version of the game and decide to NOT get the extra characters, you will more then likely still need to download the "teaser pack" so you can play with those of us that do.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I might be able to do this. Connection might be too slow, though, so no promises.

jaredburton on
  • Options
    elevatureelevature Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd like to get in on this. Tuesday and sunday evenings are best for me, though I am available other nights depending on my work schedule. But I can't guarantee I'll be available every time.

and I use Mr. Fantastic.

elevature on
  • Options
    ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I haven't beaten this game nor unlocked all the characters. I'd be willing to play this online at some point once I get tired of Rock Band (which is unlikely).

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • Options
    EskimoDaveEskimoDave Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I wanna play, but I don't think I can make any commitment.

EskimoDave on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So I just fired this up and was greeted by my team; the Deadpool Interns.
    DP, Cyk, Nightcrawler, Cap, and Blade.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I just came in here to point out that ebay is flooded with copies since this was part of the 360 bundle not too long ago. it can be had for like $5 + shipping.

acidlacedpenguin on
    GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hm; I'd love to play this again.
    If you see me online, send me an invite.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    Glenn565Glenn565 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd love to get on some MU:A action too. I play as Deadpool and have free time in the evenings.

Glenn565 on
    3DS code:4511-0654-1976
    NNID: Glenn565
  • Options
    randombattlerandombattle Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man I'd love to go through this on live. Only question would have to be time cause my schedule is kind of weird.

I totally call Dr. Doom though.

ps why didnt you do this at the start of spring break instead of the end!

randombattle on
    itsstupidbutidontcare2.gif
    I never asked for this!
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I am down for this. Dibs on Dr. Strange and/or Thor.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    Golden LegGolden Leg Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is such an awesome game, and I played it on the PC of all platforms.

My winning four-some consisted of Iron Man, Thor, Dr. Strange, and Spiderwoman.

Golden Leg on
  • Options
    DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm totally down for this as well.

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    TrevorTrevor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So, is it about time to start ironing out some times yet? I know the topic creator has Fridays free and I do as well. Anyone else with some spare time on Fridays?

Trevor on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I will be online today after work. So in about 9 hours. If anyone is interested in playing then or later on, that would be great.

Also, I am the GODDAMN SPIDER-MAN!

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'd be down for some M:UA tonight.

Do you get achievements when you are playing Co-Op?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    I'd be down for some M:UA tonight.

Do you get achievements when you are playing Co-Op?

Yes,you do.

Also, I will not only be goddamn spider-man, I will be goddamn spider-man with a german accent and swear words.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    jaredburtonjaredburton Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Count me in tonight.

jaredburton on
  • Options
    PrecursorPrecursor Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm game. Never played the game before so does anyone have any suggestions on which characters to play? Is there any character that is a good complement to a team, like a healing, buffing type, or is it straight up brawling?

XBL Gamertag: Quashdom

Oh yeah, i'm usually free after 7pm Mountain Time on weekdays, so that's 9pm Eastern Time.

Precursor on
    Quashdom.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Iceman's buff is always nice. He works well as a ranged character as well. I had him in my Wise Guys team of Spiderman, Deadpool, Iceman, and Nightcrawler.

Also, black costume Spiderman does some fierce damage with his web shooting.

Arikado on
  • Options
    MattitudeMattitude Paste Pot Pete Kicking The BucketRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    gamertag: MattitudeRocks
    I'm up for it whenever, just drop me a message.

Mattitude on
    I got this Tumblr and I don't know how to use it.
    Decide on the next line by the rhyme when I choose it.
    Also I put songs on YouTube
    The musings of this lonely rube.

I made a thread once. It didn't end well for me.
  • Options
    One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I can't make it tonight, but I'd be up for it most other times. My schedule is pretty flexible.

One Thousand Cables on
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh, hell no! Somebody's finally doing a game-on for this the day after my 360 craps out?

Well, if you guys are still game on-ing once my system gets back, my gamertag is templewulf.

@Accault: What Venom attack is overpowered? I thought Venom was a crappier version of Spider-Man.

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    My gamertag is MXRox, I have all the charecters unlocked and would love to play it again. Send me a message and I'm in!

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    I'm in on Tues, (maybe) Wed, and Fri.

Send me a message when you guys are doing so and I'll grab Iron Man.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    reddogreddog The Mountain Brooklyn, NYRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm down....i'm usually on round at 11PM EST though.

For some reason though I tried doing this once before and I couldn't connect to the game for some reason. :/

Just send me a msg

reddog on
    reddog.png
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    templewulf wrote: »
    @Accault: What Venom attack is overpowered? I thought Venom was a crappier version of Spider-Man.

The PBAE tentacle one, PB being the entire screen in this case. You just spam the power button for it, each press doing damage and pushing the enemies back while preventing them from attacking. The Silver Surfer has the same power.
    Once you lvl it up a bit there really isn't a reason to use any other attack on non-boss enemies.

Accualt on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    So if I don't have the DLC heroes can I still play with you guys who do have the DLC heroes?

Also what time tonight should we meet to rock?

DharmaBum on
  • Options
    CyberJackalCyberJackal Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I'd be interested in getting in on this. I can't play tonight though.

CyberJackal on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    So if I don't have the DLC heroes can I still play with you guys who do have the DLC heroes?

Also what time tonight should we meet to rock?

I think you need the DLC heroes to play them no matter what. Which is why I'm glad I bought the gold version.

Arikado on
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    If you don't want to buy the DLC heroes,you need to download a special little pack which allows you to play with people who have them.

Klyka on
    SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2008
    Right, I mentioned this in my first post. It's listed as the "teaser pack" in the market place.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg