As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Battlefield: Bad Company - The console only Battlefield game! Out now.

• fkn creepfkn creep Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anyone who doesn't have a key shouldn't be down in the dumps, cause I have a key and the client downloaded but you can't connect to any servers due to heavy load! YAY!

fkn creep on
    t1g3rstyl3.png
  • FanciestWalnutFanciestWalnut Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got into one game, and should have never left it. The game seemed fun while I was playing but it was hard to tell because not a single person on my team had a mic.

FanciestWalnut on
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I got into one game, and should have never left it. The game seemed fun while I was playing but it was hard to tell because not a single person on my team had a mic.
    How the hell do you NOT have a mic if you own a 360 and are on this beta. I mean premiums come with a mic and you need an HDD to download the beta which only comes with the premiums and above. I find it hard to believe that everybody on your team bought an arcade or basic model and then spent gobs of money on HDDs.. A more likely explanation is that they were just all lazy buttholes that didn't want to go searching for their mics.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    PMAvers wrote: »
    gamertag is Enders8, would gladly jump in with any of you

Will be playing after classes

Arguments over which Support will follow Enders around and drop medkits for him in 5... 4..

Um...support has the big gun, so that's what I'm playing :D

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • SmokeScreenSmokeScreen Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I like the fact that the radios in some of the vehicles play music...I loved the way they did that in Battlefield: Vietnam as well. Nothing like flying around in a gunship taking out Charlie while rocking out to The Kinks. Although I wish there was ANY music that played during the spawn screen...it's really jarring.

But lets face it, there's only one song that can do this game justice:

"Bad Company" by Bad Company on the Bad Company soundtrack.

Edit: The video I found is oddly appropriate, too.

SmokeScreen on
  • Metal Gear Solid 2 DemoMetal Gear Solid 2 Demo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    hmm, can't seem to quickjoin any ranked or unranked matchs

custom game just freezes me at Stand By as well

common problem?

Metal Gear Solid 2 Demo on
    SteamID- Enders || SC2 ID - BurningCrome.721 || Blogging - Laputan Machine
    1385396-1.png
    Orikae! |RS| : why is everyone yelling 'enders is dead go'
    When I say pop it that means pop it
    heavy.gif
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Got my key! Downloading soon.

bombardier on
  • emericanaemericana Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Downloading!

Sending friend request!

Let's blow shit up!

emericana on
  • KogareruKogareru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Is anyone able to join a game? I'm getting kicked back to the menu each time i try to join a room. I'm sure it's just the server getting hammered I just wanted to see if anyone else was lucky enough to make it into a game. :)

Kogareru on
    GW2: mKoga-Ultra
    steam_sig.png
  • DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    They're having server issues right now, and they're working on a fix. Just keep trying with quick join and you should get in. I found it easier to join an unranked server than a ranked server in the current situation. I'm sure it'll be fixed soon.

Also, about your whole team not having a mic - you can only chat within your squad. It's dumb, and I'm sure there'll be a lot of complaining about that, as there is for Frontlines. In fact, there was so much complaining, that Kaos apparently going to address that. Let's hope DICE does, as well.

Someone also asked if buildings and the ground eventually return to normal in the midst of a round. No, they do not. Destruction stays the entire round. :)

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I dont have live! gold anymore. It just ran out.

ololololololol

:(

wakkawa on
  • bombardierbombardier Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    Boo wakka :(

Also, the menu music is pretty awesome.

bombardier on
  • catalystcatalyst Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I played quite a bit today and would like to weigh in with some impressions.

First of all, the Battlefield series is one of my favorites..... 1942 was my most favorite game ever :) Bad Company looks great and plays like a true Battlefield game.

+Destructibility is awesome
    +Large scale explosions look amazing
    +Good balance of class talents (i.e. support being medic and engineer)

Overall it looks great, but there are some issues that are bothering me. Specifically, when you die it takes you back to the kit select/ score screen. The screen is so opaque that it takes you completely out of the action for a good 15 seconds. I would have liked to continue to watch the action while waiting to re-spawn.

The low health effect is really annoying and doesn't go away until you get healed. Think "bloody eyes" from CoD4 when you're seriously wounded.

Trees don't really explode, the tops of many just disappear. The standard voice alerts ("I need a medic!") are going to get old really fast since players cannot manually call them like on PC Battlefield games.

Overall, looks to be that if you enjoyed other games in the series you will like this one. I know many people will take some adjustment time coming from CoD4.

catalyst on
    MainlineSIX.png
  • UnKnown SoldierUnKnown Soldier Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This game is fucking amazing.

Being trapped in a building by an enemy tank only to blow out a back wall with a nade and then fire a rocket from behind for much explosions, fuck yes.

Also when you knife people you collect their "dog tag" or something.

Graphics are amazing for a battlefield game as well. The sound you hear when your in a tank and it gets hit is eerie as hell. Infact most of the weapon sounds are pretty nice.

I'm digging hard.

UnKnown Soldier on
    edited March 2008
    Con time! The game is a freaking blast to play, but there are some issues which make the experience a little difficult in some regards.

The two big problems are terrible voice chat support and general interface. Whoever thought it was a good idea that you can only have voice chat among your squad should be fired. I wanted to yell at my team to tell them that yes, you can disarm the charges, so stop camping the enemy spawn and defend the actual damn points. People were running right past the creates with charges on them when we were on the defense without bothering to disarm them.

As far as the interface, why is there no way to tell how much time is left on the game? Nowhere on the map or spawn menu does it give you a count down. It would be nice to know how much longer we have to hold out before we win/lose. Also, it doesn't appear you can search for games and see a list. You just join one automatically, and you can't choose who is in your squad. You just automatically join a squad. You can't even switch teams if you wanted to, so it looks like getting together to play may be a bit difficult. Maybe there's a way to be on the same squad, but I haven't found a way yet.

I'll be picking this up come launch, but it seems like they didn't bother at all to incorporate any easy social elements into the game. Other games have a party system, a team switch option, the ability to create and join squads at will. There doesn't appear to be any of those things in Bad Company, making it difficult to get together for a game. If I'm wrong, someone please correct me.

Hopefully they address those things in the full game, and maybe I'll even make a post on the beta forums about them.

Edit: APPARENTLY, that's what clan support is for. Clan members automatically get grouped and same chat. Other than that, though, you're fucked.

Dashui on
  • ChewyWafflesChewyWaffles Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    REally liking the beta so far!

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • YodaTunaYodaTuna Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kinda dumb that buildings aren't completely destructible.

YodaTuna on
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    So I finally got to playing this - I managed to get the highscore on my team even then I don't know what the hell I'm doing. O_o

Also I have an incredible ability which lets me get any vehicular stuck positivity anywhere.

APC sideways on the second story of a building? You better believe it.

Loathing on
  • darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I enjoyed my time with it earlier tonight, but I found I was dying really, really fast. All the time. Most likely a severe lack of skill on my part. The other thing I noticed, and this may just be a Battlefield trait I need to get used to, is that it's really hard to distinguish between friendlies and enemies at a glance, which is often all you get beforeDEAD.

That said, having a shell whip past your face and obliterate a wall right beside you will never get old. Neither will bringing out your grenade launcher to kill some chump thinking he's being clever by hiding on the other side of a fence. Or using it to make a nice sniping camp in the roof of a building because you just blew up a wall with it.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • RaslinRaslin Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I doubt I'm the only one who constantly gets emails from EA about the battlefield series, but still

send an email to battlefieldbeta@ea.com

supposedly giving out keys if you mail them asking for one

Raslin on
    I cant url good so add me on steam anyways steamcommunity.com/id/Raslin

3ds friend code: 2981-6032-4118
  • MemnoMemno Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It's been fun so far for me, reported a few problems. Destructible areas (can't say buildings, I understand the why they don't want you to flatten an entire area) isn't as interesting as it was. After playing it for a while, you get to know what parts of the building can be destroyed and what can't. Especially around the gold stashes, odd bits can't be destroyed either like a small stash of bricks.

They've disabled the buddy system at the moment because "it's a beta" which seems odd, along with their choice of voice chat.

@Dashui, as far as I've seen there isn't a specific time limit on maps. More how much reinforcements or gold stashes each side have.

Memno on
    edited March 2008
    Memno wrote: »
    It's been fun so far for me, reported a few problems. Destructible areas (can't say buildings, I understand the why they don't want you to flatten an entire area) isn't as interesting as it was. After playing it for a while, you get to know what parts of the building can be destroyed and what can't. Especially around the gold stashes, odd bits can't be destroyed either like a small stash of bricks.

They've disabled the buddy system at the moment because "it's a beta" which seems odd, along with their choice of voice chat.

@Dashui, as far as I've seen there isn't a specific time limit on maps. More how much reinforcements or gold stashes each side have.

Reinforcements, huh? I guess that makes sense. So there will be a buddy system in the full game? I heard it'll just be a clan system that allows everyone to play together.

Dashui on
  • Regicid3Regicid3 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Raslin wrote: »
    I doubt I'm the only one who constantly gets emails from EA about the battlefield series, but still

send an email to battlefieldbeta@ea.com

supposedly giving out keys if you mail them asking for one

Email sent.

Regicid3 on
    edited March 2008
    Tanks feel too fucking powerful. If the RPG support class is supposed to be their counter, then it's piss-poor.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Computer Reqs?

Sueve on
  • MemnoMemno Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Dashui wrote: »
    Reinforcements, huh? I guess that makes sense. So there will be a buddy system in the full game? I heard it'll just be a clan system that allows everyone to play together.
    DICE wrote:
    Where are my Buddies?” – As this is a Beta, we’re required to have the Buddy functionality turned off. Friends playing the Beta will show up as playing “DICE”. For the full game all Buddy functionality will be there. You will be able to join your friends and play as a squad, and navigate sessions together as a group.
    taken from http://badcompany.ea.com/news/entryid/22072/ Maybe I misunderstood it but that's what it seems like to me.

The RPG is more useful for blowing out walls than anything else. If you want to kill tanks use the mines, one is enough.

Memno on
    edited March 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    Computer Reqs?

Xbox 360 only. If you want new Battlefield on your PC, you'll have to wait for Battlefield 3. :( It's suppose to be using the same engine as Bad Company, though, so you can expect the same level of destructibility or more. Rumor has it it also has a level of personal customization similar to Rainbow Six Vegas.

Dashui on
  • SueveSueve Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Sueve wrote: »
    Computer Reqs?

Xbox 360 only. If you want new Battlefield on your PC, you'll have to wait for Battlefield 3. :( It's suppose to be using the same engine as Bad Company, though, so you can expect the same level of destructibility or more. Rumor has it it also has a level of personal customization similar to Rainbow Six Vegas.

shnuckles.

Sueve on
    edited March 2008
    Griefing could be a problem. You lose 25 points if you TK, even if it's some complete dipshit that jumps in front of your tank when you're at cruising speed charging down a dirt path. In an era where leveling up is king, it's going to piss some people off something fierce.

ChewyWaffles on
    mwf2sig.jpg
  • The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Hmm hit detection must be off. Blasted a guy square in the face with a shell from my under the barrel grenade launcher and he burst forth from the ensuing explosion to kill me and the guy behind me and truck right on without dying.

This was like a Dragon Ball Z moment;
    Me:HA-HA-HA nobody could survive that much smoke!
    Him: BLARG! *emerges from smoke enraged at my puny attack*
    Me: Oh no! *dies*

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    anyone have any xbox live timecards they could part with anything is decent, I forgot I was silver now but I got a beta code.

bloodyroarxx on
  • LoathingLoathing Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I have to agree on the topic of having a difficult time distinguishing friend from foe. I don't really know why, when I even play CoD4 on hardcore and there no one has a tag over them or anything, but with this game it's just really weird.

Loathing on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008
    Tanks feel too fucking powerful. If the RPG support class is supposed to be their counter, then it's piss-poor.

It takes at least four rockets to destroy a tank. Maybe more.

Bah.

Legacy on
    Can we get the chemicals in. 'Cause anything's better than this.
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Anyone know about the pay for guns thing?

Also: an RPG should just annoy most modern tanks.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • LegacyLegacy Stuck Somewhere In Cyberspace The Grid(Seattle)Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited March 2008

Well, there should be something that can beat a tank. After a few pounds at least.

Legacy on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Legacy wrote: »

Well, there should be something that can beat a tank. After a few pounds at least.

Maybe not a damn RPG but a TOW like in Battlefield 2?

Zen Vulgarity on
    edited March 2008

They have those scattered around. And how about another tank? :) Other than the rocket, the Recon class can unlock those binoculars which I believe call in some kind of precision strike. From the unlock page, they just look like binoculars, but I saw someone get a tank kill with it. A missile flew towards one and destroyed it.

As Support, I can do damage to armored vehicles in two different ways. With an unlock, I can call in mortar strikes. I also have a tool that damages them quickly. It's also used to repair vehicles, so as you can imagine you have to get in close. It's actually not too hard to sneak up on them. The Demolitions has a mine they can put down, and Spec-Ops has a demolition charge they can throw out. So each class pretty much has some way to damage armored units.

Dashui on
    edited March 2008

They have those scattered around. And how about another tank? :) Other than the rocket, the Recon class can unlock those binoculars which I believe call in some kind of precision strike. From the unlock page, they just look like binoculars, but I saw someone get a tank kill with it. A missile flew towards one and destroyed it.

Yeah, I unlocked that tonight. Must've killed at least 10 people in a row with that thing before they figured out where I was. Then killed the guy that figured out where I was right before he got to me in his tank.

Legacy on
  • TarpoTarpo Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    darleysam wrote: »
    I enjoyed my time with it earlier tonight, but I found I was dying really, really fast. All the time. Most likely a severe lack of skill on my part. The other thing I noticed, and this may just be a Battlefield trait I need to get used to, is that it's really hard to distinguish between friendlies and enemies at a glance, which is often all you get beforeDEAD..

That said, having a shell whip past your face and obliterate a wall right beside you will never get old. Neither will bringing out your grenade launcher to kill some chump thinking he's being clever by hiding on the other side of a fence. Or using it to make a nice sniping camp in the roof of a building because you just blew up a wall with it.

agreed on both of your points. I was TKed WAY too much by my own snipers.. But then that could be just people being stupid as opposed to "oops" things. But I noticed I was checking my fire alot more in this game because I wasn't sure if I was shooting at my own guys or not.. at least until the giant red arrow showed up over a guy.

I was running from a tank and got stuck in a fenced in area.. so I naded out a fence and the wall of the building behind it and got away. It was one of those Awesome Gaming Moments that really makes a great game.

Tarpo on
  • liquidloganliquidlogan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Tank beats everything.

I have to say, I'm thoroughly impressed by the BETA and, unless they fuck up something between now and when the game comes out, I'll be buying it. Apparently this is going to have a full fledged SP campaign as well but, like CoD4, the bread and butter is going to be the multiplayer. I just hope its halfway decent SP.

liquidlogan on