As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Dead Fantasy II - Monty Oum delivers again

• AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    Houk wrote: »
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Okay, you like climaxes and cohesive narratives.

Were you really expecting either in a fanclip about magical girls fighting ninja girls? Really?
    I don't think it has anything to do with climaxes or cohesive narratives. It has to do with solid pacing and emotional involvement, both of which are completely achievable goals in something like this.

Unless I was misunderstanding, he was saying that this never fully comes to a head. All the little hits never goes anyway, ie, never climaxes, it just sort of ends. Pacing is a part of that in that things go somewhere, but if you want to get into an argument about pacing, I am so going to bust out the charts and graphs.

And emotional involvement? Pfft. I don't think anybody is going to be emotionally involved after a 10 minute, 9 character short. You might hit some empathy, but you can still have a bone-crushing, visceral what'sit that makes you sit up and go "dayumn" and be able to do it again 15 seconds later. Yeah, the narrative is a lot more compact, but honestly, when it comes to visceral memories and adrenaline, the human attention span is brief at best.

Aroduc on
  • The One Dark KnightThe One Dark Knight Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Listen:

I know bugger all about final fantasy, and even less about dead or alive. All I see are a bunch of big breasted asian chicks kicking the living shit out of each other, and fuck is it awesome.

The guy has some serious skills when it comes to fight choreography, that can't be denied.

EDIT: Though I do have to say yeah, it is a little lame watching them release earth shattering attacks on each other and then springing back up again.

The haloid one is fucking win though, despite the gay and korean dancing.

The One Dark Knight on
    [END]
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    IN ALTERNATE NEWS.

I didn't notice until a friend pointed it out... all of Rinoa's voice clips... are from MBAC. She's Sion. o_O

Aroduc on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    MBAC?

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • rvcontre78rvcontre78 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Were you really expecting either in a fanclip about magical girls fighting ninja girls? Really?
    I don't think it has anything to do with climaxes or cohesive narratives. It has to do with solid pacing and emotional involvement, both of which are completely achievable goals in something like this.

Unless I was misunderstanding, he was saying that this never fully comes to a head. All the little hits never goes anyway, ie, never climaxes, it just sort of ends. Pacing is a part of that in that things go somewhere, but if you want to get into an argument about pacing, I am so going to bust out the charts and graphs.

And emotional involvement? Pfft. I don't think anybody is going to be emotionally involved after a 10 minute, 9 character short. You might hit some empathy, but you can still have a bone-crushing, visceral what'sit that makes you sit up and go "dayumn" and be able to do it again 15 seconds later. Yeah, the narrative is a lot more compact, but honestly, when it comes to visceral memories and adrenaline, the human attention span is brief at best.

Although maybe at some point you'd want the hits to maybe register somehow. I thought it was fun to watch which is all I'm sure Oum et al are trying to accomplish not a Pulitzer but at some point you start thinking, "Hmm... if no one even seems injured at this point what's the point of fighting or even avoiding the hits?"

rvcontre78 on
    The Top Ten Neglected NES games by The Gaming Standard

Although maybe at some point you'd want the hits to maybe register somehow. I thought it was fun to watch which is all I'm sure Oum et al are trying to accomplish not a Pulitzer but at some point you start thinking, "Hmm... if no one even seems injured at this point what's the point of fighting or even avoiding the hits?"

It all goes back to the friendly competition vibe he set out to achieve. I went into both Dead Fantasy videos with that in my mind; that these characters were in some way pulling punches just to get a good fight in. And that it wasn't going to have any real ending, since he said that he was planning at least 4 or 5 in the series. I think that when the 1v1s start in the next episode, when someone has to be the winner, there may be more actual consequences for the actions involved in each fight.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • LarsLars Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Someone said the Tifa model is from KH2, is that where the Rinoa model comes from as well?
    I was a bit surprised that she showed up instead of Yuffie or Paine.

Lars on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    How can you be pulling punches but still bounce people around like ragdolls? I thought too much of the video was "awesome" for "awesome"'s sake so in the end nothing really made sense and it felt more dumb than ridiculously awesome, but I suppose that's me being me.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited March 2008
    Goomba wrote: »
    How can you be pulling punches but still bounce people around like ragdolls? I thought too much of the video was "awesome" for "awesome"'s sake so in the end nothing really made sense and it felt more dumb than ridiculously awesome, but I suppose that's me being me.

Maybe it's got the same phenomenon going on that the action scenes in the Matrix had. That huge fight in Reloaded was pretty fun to watch but as far as what I really remember about the trilogy it's the first time where Neo just stops the bullet. But who knows maybe Oum et al have something like that planned seeing as this is just a series of steps towards his larger idea. It could happen. : P

rvcontre78 on
    As someone who only recognizes Tifa of all these (FF7 is the only one I've played), I liked it. My only complaint is that they were basically all invincible, so the fight could've gone on for eternity if they hadn't broken off. Characters should've been getting KO'd til there was an actual winner.

Scooter on
  • JouleJoule Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    IN ALTERNATE NEWS.

I didn't notice until a friend pointed it out... all of Rinoa's voice clips... are from MBAC. She's Sion. o_O

Huh. Really? I'm going to need to pull out AC to check this.
    Aroduc wrote:
    All I know is that whoever makes one of these with Type-Moon characters would rule Japan.

I think you're on to something here. Touhou girls can take hits, doujins tell me so. China++

I agree there could of been some actual damage accumulation but as it is I think it's fine. Like Page said with the next portion implying 1v1 we might be able to see some of that. My favourite parts include the drunken boxing a la potion, the time magic sections and the various destructive environment parts. When the hell did Rinoa get so buffed?

Watching this again, it reminds me I've been lacking well animated and choreographed action in my daily diet for awhile.

Joule on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    Joule wrote: »
    IN ALTERNATE NEWS.

The easy voice samples to find are Sion's air 214B and the launcher on her Blood Arc Drive, though I also picked out one of the ones from her air 214Ex.

Edit: 214, not 236.

Aroduc on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lars wrote: »
    Someone said the Tifa model is from KH2, is that where the Rinoa model comes from as well?
    I was a bit surprised that she showed up instead of Yuffie or Paine.

Indeed. Paine and Lulu please. [/fanboy]

chamberlain on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    IN ALTERNATE NEWS.

The easy voice samples to find are Sion's air 236B and the launcher on her Blood Arc Drive, though I also picked out one of the ones from her air 236Ex.

What the fuck are you talking about! Is that even English? What have you done to my wife?

Zen Vulgarity on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ah, this guy is a gifted choreographer, I wish someone would give him a job. He reminds me a lot of Jeff Lew, which suddenly reminds me how long it's been since Killer Bean 2. This better happen someday.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    IN ALTERNATE NEWS.

The easy voice samples to find are Sion's air 236B and the launcher on her Blood Arc Drive, though I also picked out one of the ones from her air 236Ex.

What the fuck are you talking about! Is that even English? What have you done to my wife?

Don't tempt me. I can be far far worse.

Aroduc on
  • Zen VulgarityZen Vulgarity What a lovely day for tea Secret British ThreadRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Robot Chicken reference.

Zen Vulgarity on
  • DusdaDusda is ashamed of this post SLC, UTRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    IN ALTERNATE NEWS.

Don't tempt me. I can be far far worse.

What is MBAC? Every so often someone around here mentions an acronym that brings my understanding of intarweb lingo to a screeching halt, and I worry that I'm getting old.

I'm 22.

Dusda on
    and this sig. and this twitch stream.
  • BamaBama Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Melty Blood Act Cadenza and it confused the shit out of me too.

Bama on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I dunno what the AC is, but I'm guessing that the MB is Melty Blood, a pretty popular doujinshi Japanese fighting game.

edit: beat'd like a dirty DoA whore.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    Aroduc on
  • PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    also, 236 is fighting game technical terms for Ryu's fireball motion (down, down-forward, forward) and B/Ex are the inputs (like 236P is Ryu's firball motion and Punch button)

Also, about invincibility. If there was a damage gague and point score up, you'd see that people were KO'd several times, and took a while to recover, just like a fighting game. If you take it as a fighting game, you'd see where people get knocked out, then take a while to get up for the next round. Kasumi's shot was a round loss, Yuna and Rikku were KO'd while Tifa was trying to get a drink. Hitomi was KO'd a few times (:()

I think Rinoa wouldn't have been as good if she didn't have all her back up. You notice all her spells had a bit of startup and recovery.

As for FF kicking ass, DOA was kicking ass in part I, so this movie was FF's turn. But it was a bit unfair in that FD I was about 4 minutes long and FD II was 11 minutes long.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
    edited March 2008
    IN ALTERNATE NEWS.

The easy voice samples to find are Sion's air 214B and the launcher on her Blood Arc Drive, though I also picked out one of the ones from her air 214Ex.

Oh so you edited that, I was wondering Sion doesn't have a air 236EX

6B, air charged C, ground 214Ex and even her dash sound is in there. There's probably another 2 or so unique quotes I'm not bothering to look up.

Joule on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    IN ALTERNATE NEWS.

6B, air charged C, ground 214Ex and even her dash sound is in there. There's probably another 2 or so unique quotes I'm not bothering to look up.

Heh... the same friend thought he heard a little W.Len in there, but I hear nothing french so I'm calling him crazy.

And if you want to play "Spot the Rinoa voice sample" from home...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roF5O7rjyW4

Edit: Dammit. Now I'm hearing W.Len after I messed around with the little kitty. Kairi's voice samples. Mainly the 'troi' near the start of her part and one of the grunts in the hurricane.

Aroduc on
    edited March 2008
    IN ALTERNATE NEWS.

Heh... the same friend thought he heard a little W.Len in there, but I hear nothing french so I'm calling him crazy.

And if you want to play "Spot the Rinoa voice sample" from home...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roF5O7rjyW4

Edit: Dammit. Now I'm hearing W.Len after I messed around with the little kitty. Kairi's voice samples. Mainly the 'troi' near the start of her part.

I heard the 'Troi' but I didn't remember who it was from.

By the way Aroduc, is there anything particular good series with well choreographed/animated action in the spring season? I only skimmed through your blog's listing of it. All I know is that currently I only trust Soul Eater.

Actually has there been any series with good action in the last few seasons?

Joule on
  • AroducAroduc regular
    edited March 2008
    Unfortunately, there really hasn't been anything at all in the last couple seasons. I dunno for Spring yet, lots and lots of things that look like they've got potential though. Prism Ark had a few excellent sequences, but the show itself is a fanservicey disaster. Night Wizard also had a couple nice sequences, but was usually low budget speedlineville. Otherwise... the second half of Shana2 or Gundam00? Maybe Mnemosyne? It's basically just a fanservicey/trashy/nonsensical 3x3 Eyes though.

Summer... summer's going to be awesome for action. More ARMS Ikki Tousen, 7 Arcs doing Sekirei, the UFOTable Kara no Kyoukai films finally hitting DVD, SHAFT doing Shina Dark, etc etc etc.

Aroduc on
  • PolagoPolago Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    For what I said on the previous page, Houk got it. Houk's rad like that. :)

Polago on
  • Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Polago wrote: »
    Shhh. They don't agree, and now they're talking about voodoo or something. Just back away slowly...

Houk the Namebringer on
    edited March 2008
    Polago wrote: »
    Shhh. They don't agree, and now they're talking about voodoo or something. Just back away slowly...

I understood what Polago was getting at and I think it would of been better had those aspects been implemented but it was still fun to watch for me.

Joule on
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This video is proof God loves me and wants me to be happy.

Rigor Mortis on
  • MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This reminds me of those OMG MATCHUP FIGHTS on Newgrounds or whatever. Except more technologically able.
    I give this a big ol' meh. Maybe Dead Fantasy II will change my mind (I only watched Dead Fantasy II, and stopped watching Haloid when Master Chief anime kicked some grunt a thousand feet into a wall).

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • CmdPromptCmdPrompt Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This reminds me of those OMG MATCHUP FIGHTS on Newgrounds or whatever. Except more technologically able.
    It reminded me of the stick fights you see on Newgrounds only more technologically able. Speaking of which, Shock 2 is pretty awesome in that regard.
    It is nice to see Oum improving (Haloid was pretty bad), I just hope he'll:
    a) Team up with someone to get better background textures,
    b) Make some original characters,
    c) Address the other concerns already brought up.

CmdPrompt on
    GxewS.png
    edited March 2008
    CmdPrompt wrote: »
    It reminded me of the stick fights you see on Newgrounds only more technologically able. Speaking of which, Shock 2 is pretty awesome in that regard.
    It is nice to see Oum improving (Haloid was pretty bad), I just hope he'll:
    a) Team up with someone to get better background textures,
    b) Make some original characters,
    c) Address the other concerns already brought up.

Yeah, I really hope he makes up a character. Hopefully a hot chick who knows how to fight.

rvcontre78 on

Zen Vulgarity on
  • Sacred CowSacred Cow Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nice little tribute (rip off?) of Drunken Master during the potion segment.

Sacred Cow on
    SacredCowJebus.png

SSB code- 0216-0856-6886 PM me so I can add you
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This thread is so full of stupid.

Anyone who's complaining that this doesn't have a story/context or that the moves "don't make sense" is epically missing the point.

That's like complaining that chocolate isn't salty enough.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
  • Rigor MortisRigor Mortis Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    SimBen wrote: »

Anyone who's complaining that this doesn't have a story/context or that the moves "don't make sense" is epically missing the point.

Dude, this is Penny Arcade. 'round these parts, we don't enjoy anything when we can enjoy criticizing it instead. ;)

Rigor Mortis on
  • GoombaGoomba __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008

The point is that it's a fanfic jerkoff in video form, I don't think anyone missed that. People are saying that there's no real meat to it or any reason I should care as getting pummeled doesn't mean anything, which isn't missing the point at all. The animation and all that is nice and all, but it's too "awesome" just for the sake of being "awesome". Sure, seeing final fantasy fighting is dead or alive is neat, I guess, but when someone gets shot, slumps over, and stops moving with blood splattered behind them, then gets up like nothing at all happened, it really takes most people out of it.

Or maybe everyone that doesn't love this is an idiot.

Goomba on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Goomba wrote: »

The point is that it's a fanfic jerkoff in video form, I don't think anyone missed that. People are saying that there's no real meat to it or any reason I should care as getting pummeled doesn't mean anything, which isn't missing the point at all. The animation and all that is nice and all, but it's too "awesome" just for the sake of being "awesome". Sure, seeing final fantasy fighting is dead or alive is neat, I guess, but when someone gets shot, slumps over, and stops moving with blood splattered behind them, then gets up like nothing at all happened, it really takes most people out of it.

Or maybe everyone that doesn't love this is an idiot.

When I said some people just miss the point by a thousand miles?

Yeah.

SimBen on
    sig.gif
    edited March 2008
    Sometimes I think that chocolate isn't salty enough.

Now what?

Houk the Namebringer on