As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Final Crisis Thread

• Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    No, you're right about 52 moving along and Countdown not.

It might have to do with the fact that Paul Dini predominantly writes one-shot stories, whether they be single episodes of a TV show or single issues of a comic book.

I mean, yeah, those are great, but Countdown could easily have been compressed into an 8 issue mini-series and done the same exact thing

Garlic Bread on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I may follow this. I loved 7S and am interested in the New Gods.

DouglasDanger on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Countdown really seems to have nothing to do with this, thus the necessity of DC Universe #0.

Furu on
  • selderaneselderane Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Keith wrote: »
    52 is unarguably better than Countdown in every way

Using your post as evidence, I have concluded that you are retarded.

I didn't insult you so I don't know why you felt the need to do the same with me. So, using that as evidence I've concluded you're someone not worth listening to.

As for 52 - About halfway though I stopped reading it because, from week to week, nothing was happening. Maybe it got better, I don't know, but I've been consistantly entertained with Countdown.

selderane on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wait

you dropped 52 because nothing was happening and yet you liked Countdown?

52 was paced way better.

Are you sure you dont have the two confused

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I seem to recall a lot of people here bemoaning the lack of anything happening in 52 for weeks at a time. The only difference is that the Supernova and Black Adam stories actually went somewhere whenever they were featured.

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited March 2008
    Ringo wrote: »
    I seem to recall a lot of people here bemoaning the lack of anything happening in 52 for weeks at a time. The only difference is that the Supernova and Black Adam stories actually went somewhere whenever they were featured.

Oh, there were weeks when nothing happened, yeah

Except with countdown it was the first 10 months where nothing happened

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2008
    selderane wrote: »
    52 is unarguably better than Countdown in every way

Using your post as evidence, I have concluded that you are retarded.

I didn't insult you so I don't know why you felt the need to do the same with me. So, using that as evidence I've concluded you're someone not worth listening to.

Someone's got to start the insults

Besides, my opinions are the best opinions.

Garlic Bread on
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    At least 52 had awesome covers. 52 awesome covers, to be exact.

Robos A Go Go on
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited March 2008
    52 was interesting enough just for the novelty of a weekly comic spanning the DCU and the whole "missing year" concept but there was still A LOT of fat there that could have been trimmed. I often felt like a month's four issues could easily have been condensed into one without losing much.

Countdown lost me pretty early.

DMAC on
  • NogsNogs Crap, crap, mega crap. Crap, crap, mega crap.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    yeah, as slow as 52 was, i enjoyed it enough to keep reading it. and the covers were almost worth buying themselves.

pretty much the complete opposite of countdown.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
    PARKER, YOU'RE FIRED! <-- My comic book podcast! Satan look here!
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I read the end of 52 in singles and the entire thing in trades - I've been dipping in and out of Countdown as it has progressed. Taking them both on story value alone 52 kicks Countdown all over the pitch.

Wildcat on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    While there were times 52 frustrated us because nothing happened, it was because we engaged in the story and wanted to know what was going on. We were eagerly anticipating Supernova's identity, the mysterious figure behind Ralph Dibny's breakdown, and what was up with this whole Crime Bible business.

In Countdown, I'm frustrated that nothing is happening because none of it is interesting. Plus, their pay offs come way too late. Look at Black Adam's arc -- All kinds of shit happens. If it were in Countdown, issues 1 through 30 would be him being violent, and issues 31 through 50 would be him falling in love with Isis, and then, I don't know, Earth-5.9 blows up.

Lux on
  • FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Not 5.9!

(it's where I keep all my stuff)

Furu on
  • ZombieAsumaZombieAsuma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I hope that Prime and Monarch show up at some point....it'd be pretty silly that the explosion killed both of them.

ZombieAsuma on
  • Bad KarmaBad Karma Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I hope that Prime and Monarch show up at some point....it'd be pretty silly that the explosion killed both of them.

Prime will be back in a book written by Johns that at the time of the announcement he wasn't writing. That book was most likely DC Universe #0, but you never know. And it's been said that Monarch will have one more appearance in Countdown, so a Final Crisis appearance is unlikely.

Bad Karma on
    Xbox Live: Ornery Rooster
    PSN: OrneryRooster
  • ZeromusZeromus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Lux wrote: »
    While there were times 52 frustrated us because nothing happened, it was because we engaged in the story and wanted to know what was going on. We were eagerly anticipating Supernova's identity, the mysterious figure behind Ralph Dibny's breakdown, and what was up with this whole Crime Bible business.

In Countdown, I'm frustrated that nothing is happening because none of it is interesting. Plus, their pay offs come way too late. Look at Black Adam's arc -- All kinds of shit happens. If it were in Countdown, issues 1 through 30 would be him being violent, and issues 31 through 50 would be him falling in love with Isis, and then, I don't know, Earth-5.9 blows up.

I agree with you, and on top of it all, I'd say that 52 is maybe one of the best superhero stories of the past several years, at least that I've read. To even think of comparing it to Countdown is almost laughable.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2008
    I think 52 had some dull storylines (Montoya, for one) and had parts that I don't think worked at all (Ralph's final confrontation) but for the most part, it was good. It moved a lot better than Countdown, and did most of what they said it would do. Half the time Countdown seems like an advertisement for some other DC book, and the rest of it isn't really that interesting to make up for it.

But that's really beside the point of whether or not Final Crisis will be good, since that team doesn't really have any effect on what happens in Final Crisis.

DJ Eebs on
    edited March 2008
    the only good thing countdown had going for it was trickster and piper, and they fucking blew it.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Nogs wrote: »
    the only good thing countdown had going for it was trickster and piper, and they fucking blew it.
    Uh, so to speak.

Robos A Go Go on
    edited March 2008
    I like the new ads showing up for Final Crisis in DC books with 'The Day Evil Won' in big text and what looks to be Darkseid's eyes. Maybe he'll be visiting other people's couches. Heh.

ZombieAsuma on
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    What'd they do now? I stopped reading Countdown a long, long time ago, but followed them a bit from the corner of my eye.

I know up to Trickster's...uh..."headache."

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited March 2008
    Blackjack wrote: »
    What'd they do now? I stopped reading Countdown a long, long time ago, but followed them a bit from the corner of my eye.

I know up to Trickster's...uh..."headache."

they fucking killed trickster and had piper wander around the desert with only tricker's hand to keep him company. it was the worst fucking thing.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • BlackjackBlackjack Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I knew that bit. Is that the last that's been seen of them?

Blackjack on
    camo_sig2.png

3DS: 1607-3034-6970
    edited March 2008
    oh and piper has the anti-life equation or something and blows up apokolips. that was kinda cool i guess. but the thing they had going with trickster and piper together was fucking awesome, and they just threw it into the shitter for no good reason.

Nogs on
    rotate.jpg
  • Me Too!Me Too! __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    I'm still undecided on buying this.
    On one hand I have no idea what's going on.
    On the other hand, it's a Crisis and that means that shit will most likely be changing and it would be nice to know what happened to cause everything to change.

Me Too! on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    the verdict is you should buy Secret Invasion instead

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Every single thing that Morrison and Jones have said is no major reboots no explaining anything major just a big story.

Bloods End on
    edited March 2008
    Oh
    Well screw it then.

Me Too! on
    edited March 2008
    That doesn't mean that there won't be important changes in the DCU though. And if you don't know what's going on, just pick up DC Universe 0 when it comes out.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited March 2008
    Lol! wrote: »
    Oh
    Well screw it then.

screw it because it's not going to change stuff that already happened?

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2008
    If it's not going to be making any big changes that I need to understand
    And I'm not going to understand the story beyond what's in DC Universe #0
    Screw it
    I'll read something where I understand the background and such.

Me Too! on
    edited March 2008
    It's going to change the DCU

it's just not rewriting things.

Garlic Bread on
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    no it's okay wiggin

don't read it

don't even talk about it

just avoid the whole event all together, including this thread

Sars_Boy on
  • manaleak34manaleak34 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Does it really need to change the DCU to make it a good comic series?

I'm mostly buying it because I know Grant can write a damn good comic book story.

manaleak34 on
    XBL/Steam:ManaCrevice
    edited March 2008
    I mean

Grant Morrison is maybe my favorite comic writer so I will probably slather my love ointment all over this series

But, you know, some changes in the universe after a year-long shitfest of an event would be nice.

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
    edited March 2008
    It will change the universe

It's just not a reboot/retconning event like CoIE and IC

Garlic Bread on
    edited March 2008
    Man I know it will

I'm just saying

Zeromus on
    pygsig.png
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It will change the universe

It's just not a reboot/retconning event like CoIE and IC

That's what they said about COSMIC ODYSSEY. And MILLENIUM. And LEGENDS. And INVASION!. And ZERO HOUR. And BLOODLINES.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Well Millenium, Legends, and Invasion were all pretty good. I can't speak for the rest as I haven't read them.

ZombieAsuma on
This discussion has been closed.