As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Rush Limbaugh:Operation Chaos

widowsonwidowson Registered User regular
edited March 2008 in Debate and/or Discourse
Has anyone considered how much Rush Limbaugh's "Operation Chaos" may be affecting the democratic primaries?

I thought it was crap, until all the guys in my office went out and did it; are all McCain supporters but voted democrat in the Texas primaries.

(Full disclosure: McCain backer, but would prefer Obama to 4-8 years of Clinton soap-opera drama, voted my party in the past primary)

I wonder if that's why so many dem leaders want this wrapped up ASAP. Since the Republican nomination is done and you've got all these hardcore republicans who don't really need to vote in their primaries, why wouldn't they do something to make their chances better this fall?

You may very well be getting skewed primary results because of it since the hardcore right *want* the dems divided and fighting all the way to the convention. If Obama was behind, they'd be going for him.

Just like a vote for Nader was a vote for Bush, a vote for Clinton may very well be a vote for McCain.

I don't know what's worse, the ruthless trick or falling for it when his "secret plan" is out in the open. It's like he's saying "Hey, guys, here's how I'm going to split you in two and here's how I'm going to do it, try and stop me..um...oh...wow...that's cool. Man, you're really ripping into each other, hey, keep fighting guys! Please! No, Miss Ferarro....you and Mr. Wright go ahead, I'll just stand over here AND LAUGH MY FUCKING ASS OFF."

You may want to tell your undecided friends that this guy:

200px-Rush_Limbaugh_2004_cropped.jpg

Wants them to vote for Hillary. Tell them why, not because she can win, but so he can drag the convention out as long as possible to make the dems loose in november.

-I owe nothing to Women's Lib.

Margaret Thatcher
widowson on

• ProtoProto Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I think the influence is negligible. The primaries are essentially over anyway. Unless the supers do something stupid, Obama wins.

The only thing dragging it out at this point is Clinton.

Proto on
    and her knees up on the glove compartment
    took out her barrettes and her hair spilled out like rootbeer
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, rushies are too hardcore repub to go vote dem most of the time I think. And I dont think he has that much influence over what people do. Maybe what they think. But not what they act on directly.

edit: I had a friend who wanted me to go vote huckabee because he was such a joke. But I believe in actually voting for decent candidates on either side, you know, just in case people go the other way.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I heard some noise on blogs last week and the week before talking about it. Supposedly, at least in Ohio, there's some statistical information that at least one delegate, possibly more were likely the result of Republicans voting for Hillary.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    JebusUD wrote: »
    Yeah, rushies are too hardcore repub to go vote dem most of the time I think. And I dont think he has that much influence over what people do. Maybe what they think. But not what they act on directly.

edit: I had a friend who wanted me to go vote huckabee because he was such a joke. But I believe in actually voting for decent candidates on either side, you know, just in case people go the other way.

Yeah but what people do is based on what people think. Thinking informs action which is why propagandists like Rush Limbaugh are dangerous.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • No-QuarterNo-Quarter Nothing To Fear But Fear ItselfRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Drez wrote: »

Yeah but what people do is based on what people think. Thinking informs action which is why propagandists like Rush Limbaugh are dangerous.

QFT

Listen to his show. Just once. Seriously. That's what his show his show is like every single day. To say his listeners are programmed is an understatement. It is impossible to have a meaningful conversation with any of them on any topic Rush has been over.

No-Quarter on
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No-Quarter wrote: »
    Drez wrote: »

QFT

Listen to his show. Just once. Seriously. That's what his show his show is like every single day. To say his listeners are programmed is an understatement. It is impossible to have a meaningful conversation with any of them on any topic Rush has been over.

Gonna throw up the o_O here...

People have different beliefs, morals, and principles, news at 11!

I listen to Rush, but don't agree with him on most points (for the same reason I listen to Howie Carr, Michael Savage, Alan Colmes, Sean Hannity, Free Talk Live, and others - to get different points of view). Most of the listeners are not "programmed" or any such bullshit. They simply have different points of view than you do.

As for "Operation Chaos," meh. I really don't think this is having any effect aside being a joke to hear about on the radio, and the hilarity being even greater since the media is running away with it. I was tempted to vote in the Democratic primary for similar reasons, but ended up sticking with my guy out of principle (Ron Paul, for the record).

The OP makes note of the thought that "hardcore Republicans" (?) want to keep the election close, and keep the party members fighting themselves as long as possible. If anything, if this whole "Operation Chaos" thing is true, and they really are purposely voting for Hillary en masse, this is more likely due to poll results. Most polls I've seen put the match-ups with Obama>McCain>Hillary. So you'd want your guy going up against the more easily defeated person, and since Republicans have little reason to vote anymore, aside from standing on principle, I think this is more likely...

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • fuelishfuelish Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    I listen to Rush, but don't agree with him on most points (for the same reason I listen to Howie Carr, Michael Savage, Alan Colmes, Sean Hannity, Free Talk Live, and others - to get different points of view).

I could be wrong, but I beleive you would need to pick people with diffferent view points to actually get those different points of view.

fuelish on
    Another day in the bike shop Pretty much what it sounds like. The secret lifestyle, laid open.
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Some states have laws that prevent you from voting in primaries if you switch your political affiliation too close to primaries, to prevent this very thing.

DarkPrimus on
    edited March 2008
    fuelish wrote: »
    I listen to Rush, but don't agree with him on most points (for the same reason I listen to Howie Carr, Michael Savage, Alan Colmes, Sean Hannity, Free Talk Live, and others - to get different points of view).

I could be wrong, but I beleive you would need to pick people with diffferent view points to actually get those different points of view.

Hah no... Rush and Hannity are conservative, Howie Carr a little less so, Michael Savage is fucking crazy, Alan Colmes is liberal, and Free Talk Live is a Libertarian broadcast. ;-)

Edit: I was just throwing names out there for shows I've listened to - I'll listen to just about any talk radio that's on the air when I'm in the car or otherwise bored.

Shadowfire on
  • ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited March 2008
    Hah no... Rush and Hannity are conservative, Howie Carr a little less so, Michael Savage is fucking crazy, Alan Colmes is the Six-Million Dollar Strawman, and Free Talk Live is a Libertarian broadcast. ;-)

Fix'd.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Man, seriously, if that list is representative of your fair and balanced coverage, I feel pretty confident in guessing that you watch Fox News to actually get news.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited March 2008
    wwtMask wrote: »
    Man, seriously, if that list is representative of your fair and balanced coverage, I feel pretty confident in guessing that you watch Fox News to actually get news.

Wow, the fucking vitriol in here...

Notice where I mentioned that I listened to these people to get differing points of view? As in points of view that were different than my own?

Again, o_O

Shadowfire on
  • whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I like the Al Franken book, where he talks about the Alan Colmes book "Back to you Sean: The Alan Colmes Story".

CLASSIC!

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • real_pochaccoreal_pochacco Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Wasn't there some link posted in the primaries thread about Ohio starting to pursue charges of election fraud against Limbaugh?

real_pochacco on
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Hah no... Rush and Hannity are conservative, Howie Carr a little less so, Michael Savage is fucking crazy, Alan Colmes is the Six-Million Dollar Strawman, and Free Talk Live is a Libertarian broadcast. ;-)

Fix'd.

Alan Colmes is a self-professed moderate, isn't he? I absolutely despise it when people call him liberal. I'm a liberal. That man's not a fucking liberal.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008

Fix'd.

Alan Colmes is a self-professed moderate, isn't he? I absolutely despise it when people call him liberal. I'm a liberal. That man's not a fucking liberal.

He is as liberal as they let them get on faux news.

JebusUD on
    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • whitey9whitey9 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Fix'd.

The whole idea is that Hannity and Colmes is a seesaw of debate between a man on one end, and another man in the middle.

whitey9 on
    llcoolwhitey.png
  • KetherialKetherial Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    whitey9 wrote: »

Fix'd.

The whole idea is that Hannity and Colmes is a seesaw of debate between a man on one end, and another man in the middle.

that's not actually a bad thing though, because often, moderates will sound more reasonable than those on either end.

the problem with colmes, i think, is not that he's not liberal enough. the problem with him is that he's useless and he fucking sucks.

i haven't watched the show in a long time though so maybe he's changed.

Ketherial on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008

Notice where I mentioned that I listened to these people to get differing points of view? As in points of view that were different than my own?

Again, o_O
    There was a point when I tried to do this, but the absolute bigoted hatred espoused by some of the right-wing pundits is enough to make me violently angry. They represent a bloc of interest so far right that, were they in absolute power, would likely have me excommunicated if not executed. The idea is maddening.

Oboro on
    words
  • DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Again, o_O

That would be useful if any of the people you listed actually offered honest, non-propagandist opinion.

Which they don't. Rush certainly doesn't. He's not sharing a point of view unless you consider a dishonest construct of reality to feed his listeners/viewers a "point of view," which I really don't. Not to the degree that he distorts anyway.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This DailyKos entry presents some compelling evidence that this crap is costing Obama delegates.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Matt!Matt! Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I often listen to all different sides of an issue, but more and more I find that I listen to right wingers just to see how wrong I think they are. I consider myself a very objective guy who always tries to see both sides of an issue, but these guys are making it really really hard.

Matt! on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Wonder_HippieWonder_Hippie __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Matt! wrote: »
    I often listen to all different sides of an issue, but more and more I find that I listen to right wingers just to see how wrong I think they are. I consider myself a very objective guy who always tries to see both sides of an issue, but these guys are making it really really hard.

Just because they're spewing shit doesn't mean it's a "side." Sometimes there aren't sides. Sometimes things are just so. Some people think Intelligent Design has a place in our public schools. This isn't a side of an issue, but rather just a whole bunch of dumbshits fucking the country up.

Wonder_Hippie on
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Ketherial wrote: »

Fix'd.

that's not actually a bad thing though, because often, moderates will sound more reasonable than those on either end.

the problem with colmes, i think, is not that he's not liberal enough. the problem with him is that he's useless and he fucking sucks.

It hasn't changed. The whole point of it is for Colmes to disagree with Hannity then fail completely to back up his argument by letting Hannity walk all over him, thereby showing that all real men are conservative and only pansies are anything left of Hannity.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Haven't read through the whole thing, but it seems like anyone can see there is GOING to be this division, so by taking the position he has he can
    1. appear somewhat responsible for something that would have happened anyway
    2. cultivate this 'haha we're fucking with you sort of image and
    3. (the most important thing) just possibly get some people who were going to vote and be actively involved in their democracy to decide not to bother.

Prolegomena on
  • SithDrummerSithDrummer Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    The OP makes note of the thought that "hardcore Republicans" (?) want to keep the election close, and keep the party members fighting themselves as long as possible. If anything, if this whole "Operation Chaos" thing is true, and they really are purposely voting for Hillary en masse, this is more likely due to poll results. Most polls I've seen put the match-ups with Obama>McCain>Hillary. So you'd want your guy going up against the more easily defeated person, and since Republicans have little reason to vote anymore, aside from standing on principle, I think this is more likely...
    I believe this is more accurate, and the very idea pisses me off.

SithDrummer on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    evilbob wrote: »

Fix'd.

It hasn't changed. The whole point of it is for Colmes to disagree with Hannity then fail completely to back up his argument by letting Hannity walk all over him, thereby showing that all real men are conservative and only pansies are anything left of Hannity.

I wonder how much they pay him to be the fool on national TV and how his family can ever respect him.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Kagera wrote: »
    evilbob wrote: »

Fix'd.

I wonder how much they pay him to be the fool on national TV and how his family can ever respect him.
    First part answers the second.

evilbob on
    l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Something scary I learned long ago is that most of the time there is no cognizant dissonance where it should exist for most people. You might think Colmes secretly despises his life as a right-wing marionette, but he probably sees what he does as bringing balance to the force. His family, likewise, probably thinks he's such a trooper for being on t.v. and giving that Hannity what for.

JamesKeenan on
  • KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited March 2008

Something scary I learned long ago is that most of the time there is no cognizant dissonance where it should exist for most people. You might think Colmes secretly despises his life as a right-wing marionette, but he probably sees what he does as bringing balance to the force. His family, likewise, probably thinks he's such a trooper for being on t.v. and giving that Hannity what for.

I guess if he thinks he's giving it his best then that would help him justify his employment at FNC, as long as he doesn't question just how good his best really is compared to others.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.