As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Warhammer 40k: The pen is mightier than the Lasgun

• Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Alright, I just put together a 1,000 point Daemonhunters list, and I'm looking for some input. I got a lot of great stuff from you guys last time I asked this question, so I come back in search of more knowledge and feedback!

Spoiler'd for VIOLENCE.
    -HQ I- Inquisitor Lord and Retinue
    45 - Inquisitor Lord
    30 ---Psycannon

30 - x3 Warrior Retinue
    45 ---x3 Heavy Bolter

20 - x2 Sage Retinue

16 - x2 Acolyte Retinue

-Elite I- Vindicare Assassin
    110- Vindicare Assassin

-Troops I- Grey Knights
    50 - Grey Knight Justicar
    125- x5 Grey Knights
    50 ---x2 Psycannon

-Troops II- Inquisitorial Stormtroopers (I think their name has changed since I bought my codex)
    80 - x8 Stormtroopers
    10 ---Grenade Launcher (Frag)
    10 ---Grenade Launcher (Krak)

70 - Chimera Transport
    10 ---Turret Heavy Bolter
    5  ---Hull-mounted Heavy Bolter
    3  ---Smoke Launchers

-Heavy Support I- Dreadnought
    80 - Dreadnought
    30 - Twin-linked Heavy Bolter

-Heavy Support II- Dreadnought
    80 - Dreadnought

-Heavy Support III- Orbital Strike
    70 - Lance Strike

My thoughts: There's not a whole lot on the board, and I have a _lot_ of heavy support in ratio to lighter units. What do you folks who have actually played this game make of this?

Rend on
  • Options
    MikeMcSomethingMikeMcSomething Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is the Dark Angel shotgun different? I don't have the codex handy but I thought they were Range 12 S3 AP6(or -) assault 2

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Rend wrote: »
    Alright, I just put together a 1,000 point Daemonhunters list, and I'm looking for some input. I got a lot of great stuff from you guys last time I asked this question, so I come back in search of more knowledge and feedback!

Spoiler'd for VIOLENCE.
    45 - Inquisitor Lord
    30 ---Psycannon

30 - x3 Warrior Retinue
    45 ---x3 Heavy Bolter

20 - x2 Sage Retinue

16 - x2 Acolyte Retinue

110- Vindicare Assassin

-Troops I- Grey Knights
    125- x5 Grey Knights
    50 ---x2 Psycannon

-Troops II- Inquisitorial Stormtroopers (I think their name has changed since I bought my codex)
    80 - x8 Stormtroopers

70 - Chimera Transport
    3  ---Smoke Launchers

80 - Dreadnought

80 - Dreadnought

70 - Lance Strike

My thoughts: There's not a whole lot on the board, and I have a _lot_ of heavy support in ratio to lighter units. What do you folks who have actually played this game make of this?

DH's have a hard time competing (from what I understand) unless you just max out on the basic footslogger GKs and take dreads with assault cannons, it looks like this list would be fun to play though.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Is the Dark Angel shotgun different? I don't have the codex handy but I thought they were Range 12 S3 AP6(or -) assault 2

They are S4 AP- Assault 2. They use Manstopper rounds.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Yeah that's cool but it's still a pretty weak gun - at best, you will be exactly 12'' away and you can move - shoot - charge, and you could just bolt pistol and charge and get the same number of S4 attacks on the first round, and more S4 attacks in each additional round of melee.

But anyway, I think your fists seem like they would be fun to mess around with - it's 750 points so there's only so much you can really do anyway but I like the fluff behind it alot. Are you going to run them with a different force org chart with your other Marines?

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah that's cool but it's still a pretty weak gun - at best, you will be exactly 12'' away and you can move - shoot - charge, and you could just bolt pistol and charge and get the same number of S4 attacks on the first round, and more S4 attacks in each additional round of melee.

But anyway, I think your fists seem like they would be fun to mess around with - it's 750 points so there's only so much you can really do anyway but I like the fluff behind it alot. Are you going to run them with a different force org chart with your other Marines?

Possibly. I'm not sure. I picked 750 since that was the lowest number that I could fit everything in comfortably.

Librarian's ghost on
    (Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    ClawshrimpyClawshrimpy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, I need some input on doing wings for Tyranids.

I figured for Warriors, I could do 1 of two things, Either pay for Forgeworld wingkits, Which are pretty nice, but Obviously more expensive. Or I could go cheapskate and use Gargoyle wings. I'm on the fence, I'm worried that Gargoyle wings might be tacky.

As for the Flyrant? I'm really unsure, I've heard mixed reports about Bloodthister wings, but I heard High Elf Dragon Wings are all the rage, now. I'm actually consiodering dropping the bucks on a resin one from Forgeword, and putting a second set of Talons on it that i'll have leftover from the walking Shooty tyrant.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    RendRend Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Spoiler'd for VIOLENCE.
    45 - Inquisitor Lord
    30 ---Psycannon

30 - x3 Warrior Retinue
    45 ---x3 Heavy Bolter

20 - x2 Sage Retinue

16 - x2 Acolyte Retinue

110- Vindicare Assassin

-Troops I- Grey Knights
    125- x5 Grey Knights
    50 ---x2 Psycannon

80 - x8 Stormtroopers

70 - Chimera Transport
    3  ---Smoke Launchers

80 - Dreadnought

80 - Dreadnought

70 - Lance Strike

DH's have a hard time competing (from what I understand) unless you just max out on the basic footslogger GKs and take dreads with assault cannons, it looks like this list would be fun to play though.

See, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking- Hilarity to play.

Why exactly do the Daemonhunters have such a hard time competing with other factions though? As a very new player, this would be helpful for me to know, so I can try to compensate for those weaknesses.

Rend on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Spoiler'd for VIOLENCE.
    45 - Inquisitor Lord
    30 ---Psycannon

30 - x3 Warrior Retinue
    45 ---x3 Heavy Bolter

20 - x2 Sage Retinue

16 - x2 Acolyte Retinue

110- Vindicare Assassin

-Troops I- Grey Knights
    125- x5 Grey Knights
    50 ---x2 Psycannon

80 - x8 Stormtroopers

70 - Chimera Transport
    3  ---Smoke Launchers

80 - Dreadnought

80 - Dreadnought

70 - Lance Strike

See, that's EXACTLY what I was thinking- Hilarity to play.

Why exactly do the Daemonhunters have such a hard time competing with other factions though? As a very new player, this would be helpful for me to know, so I can try to compensate for those weaknesses.

FYI- in your list it looks like you paid seperately for stormtrooper frag launcher and a krak launcher - all you have to do is buy the grenade launcher once, and you choose between either type of round every time you shoot it.

From what I have seen the GK's main problem is that they don't have alot of troop-mounted weapon options, they are pretty expensive, and alot of their options are just bad. Generally the base GK squad is pretty powerful so if you load up on those and just choke the enemy with storm bolters you should be ok though.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    The JesterThe Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    All right I have decided to start an Eldar army but I have hard time choosing whether to take two squads of Dire Avengers or Two Guardian squads or one of each to fill up my Troop choices. Any thoughts? As for HQ I will probably get a Farseer. Any further advice on how to expand the army later on?

The Jester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam ID The Jester
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The Jester wrote: »
    All right I have decided to start an Eldar army but I have hard time choosing whether to take two squads of Dire Avengers or Two Guardian squads or one of each to fill up my Troop choices. Any thoughts? As for HQ I will probably get a Farseer. Any further advice on how to expand the army later on?

Between the 2 you want the Dire Avengers, and the farseer is a great HQ

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Dire Avengers + Rangers.

Blame the old Craftworld: Eldar constraints on Ulthwe armies, but not having to take Guardian squads is such a nice feeling.

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So, I need some input on doing wings for Tyranids.

I figured for Warriors, I could do 1 of two things, Either pay for Forgeworld wingkits, Which are pretty nice, but Obviously more expensive. Or I could go cheapskate and use Gargoyle wings. I'm on the fence, I'm worried that Gargoyle wings might be tacky.

As for the Flyrant? I'm really unsure, I've heard mixed reports about Bloodthister wings, but I heard High Elf Dragon Wings are all the rage, now. I'm actually consiodering dropping the bucks on a resin one from Forgeword, and putting a second set of Talons on it that i'll have leftover from the walking Shooty tyrant.

My friend uses the wings from the fantasy Wyvern for his flyrant and they look pretty cool - He also uses warriors with forgeworld wings, but I have seen warriors with garg wings and IMO they don't look bad at all.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Dire Avengers + Rangers.

Blame the old Craftworld: Eldar constraints on Ulthwe armies, but not having to take Guardian squads is such a nice feeling.

Tru dat. I ran an Alaitoc list, with 4 Pathfinder squads for the troops.

MikeMcSomething on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Aw crap. I'm calling it now.

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited April 2008

I want to forget about the old drama. I thought enough time had passed, plus, I'm having a lot more fun with Tyranids.especially now that I'm going to an LGS that has people interested in Smaller games, as well as normal and big games.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I want to forget about the old drama. I thought enough time had passed, plus, I'm having a lot more fun with Tyranids.especially now that I'm going to an LGS that has people interested in Smaller games, as well as normal and big games.

:^:

Librarian's ghost on

• Options
    edited April 2008

:^:
    What I like about Tyranids, is it's very hard to go "wrong" with them. When I looked at the Army List, It was easier for me to come up with stuff I wanted to do with them.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    The JesterThe Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the advice guys hopefully i'll get my codex, models and paints next week.

The Jester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Steam ID The Jester
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Jester wrote: »
    My eldar are as yet untested in battle but my troop choices are a unit of dire avengers (in a wave serpent) and 2 squads of jetbikes.

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    chopachopa Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I dunno about maxing power armored GKs guys. They basically just a more expensive marine who dies nearly as easily (shrouding can be cool but can just as easily not matter).

My experience is to take the inducted guard squads and use the GK termies to wreck things (maybe a teleport PA squad or 2)

though of course my favorite list is the 5+ landraider list

chopa on
    Poke FC:0301 6273 4857
  • Options
    Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    GKs are very expensive for what they do, and the more stuff you give them, the less efficient they get in terms of points per murder. I've played against GK lists with 20 models. At 1500 points. That no workie. Really. Don't do it. It is a bad idea. A single unit of genestealers could rend it to shreds.

In general, having a high model count is an advantage for every army out there, as it gives you more options. The normal GK, while expensive, is a whole lot cheaper than GK terms, and if you don't want to add inducted guard, the only way you'll hit a half decent model count.

Cynic Jester on
  • Options
    Mr. JinglesMr. Jingles Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i'll just throw in my two cents on grey knights: they may look like badass killing machines, but no matter what they still get the 3+ armor save. not terrible, but its not any better than normal space marines. small squads die quickly, and when grey knights die they die at 25 points a pop and with a little pain in your soul. squads ought to be at least 8 including justicar. trust me, the first time i played i made that mistake and my squads were torn apart by lasgun fire. i cried on the inside.

Mr. Jingles on
  • Options
    GahmriousGahmrious Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So I have some questions regarding a few Ork purchases...

Points/$$ Value , I have decided to get either the Ork Battleforce or...

Ork in Mega Armour (1)
    Ork Boys (1)
    Lootas/Burnas (1)
    Space Marines Rhino (1)

The battleforce comes with 20 minis vs the 17 total in my selection and on top of that comes with the warbikes (3) and truck....

Except I dont like the truck and bikes as much as the idea of a looted rhino..... Booo.... Im sad.

Obvious answer would be to get the Battleforce and suck it up eh? =(

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    DraevenDraeven Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Buy what you want. I mean you could buy the battleforce and then sell the truck or trade it for a rhino. There are ways around these problems.

Draeven on
    Morskitter wrote "Spikes, choppas, tentacles, magic? Can't hold a candle to Sergeant Pimp here."

• Options
    edited April 2008
    Initially when writing the post I thought the Battleforce came with 40 boys (lull yeah right) and when I compared the numbers to the 17 total , for almost the same dollar amount , I was like "yeah damnit this sucks"

Then I realized it was 20 boys in the Battleforce.... So... Yay.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    DayspringDayspring the Phoenician Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    get both and kitbash the trukk and the rhino together

Dayspring on
    My Warhammer stuff online: Youtube Twitter Insta
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    As much as I think the Trukk kit is a gem (both as a complete model and for the potential for conversion parts; they never officially completed a modular Ork vehicle kit, but with a little creative thinking and modeling styrene you could almost get 3 buggies out of 2 trukks, or a single battlewagon I'm willing to wager.), and there's some truly great Ork boy heads/arms and the best plastic Nob torso and heads in the bike kit (I'm making mine into deffkoptas later), if all you want form the battleforce are the twenty Orks, just buy two Boy boxes and use the rest of the money on Lootas and a Rhino.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The "modular Ork vehicle kit" is alleged to be the replacement for the old warbuggy/trakk kits and due out as part of the "second wave" of Ork releases, around the time of the 5th Ed. starter box's release (September/October IIRC).

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
  • Options
    UtsanomikoUtsanomiko Bros before Does Rollin' in the thlayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Now that's one I have not heard before.

Utsanomiko on
    hmm.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So, there's allready going to be a fifth edition coming soon? so it's not long before all the codexes are redon e again? good thing I don't have THAT many bugs yet, and I still have a lot of bitz.

I still wanted to start a small Ork list eventually once I practiced making good lists with the bugs, because I just love how the new Ork models look. I realise I'd have to bring a lot more guns, but it doesn't really bother me, From what I've seen from other people who play Orks, shooting looks more fun than it is with Marines, anyway. but then again, maybe I won't even play with them, I like painting boyz. painting fantasy Greenskins has been a blast, and I still want to paint 40k Orks eventually.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    So I decided to go with the Warboss/Lootas/Boyz/Rhino purchase instead of the Battleforce box... My next step was to work on a 500pt list so I can actually start playing...

Keep in mind that this is the first list I've produced, and the 50 or so points left over is for tweaking some stats for my small army. Suggestions please.
    Warboss (60)
    -power klaw (25)
    -shoota/rokkit kombi-weapon (5)
    -bosspole (5)

(95)

Lootas x5 (75)

Ork Boyz x 10 (60)
    -big shootah (5)
    -Nob Upgrade (10)
    -Power Klaw (25)
    -'eavy armour (5)
    - bosspole (5)

Ork Boyz x 10 (60), 'ard boyz x 10 (40)

-rokkit launcha (10)
    -Nob Upgrade (10)
    -Power Klaw (25)
    - bosspole (5)

Dedicated Transport Vehicle(35)

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, there's allready going to be a fifth edition coming soon? so it's not long before all the codexes are redon e again? good thing I don't have THAT many bugs yet, and I still have a lot of bitz.

This will be like 3rd to 4th, except with even less required Codex updates. So dont worry about it, the 'Nid codex isn't even on the radar to be redone.

HOWEVER: Read up on some of the rumored 5th ed changes, and some things like rending aren't as overpowered as they are right now. It's still good, but not amazing.

PLEASE DONT LET THIS START ANOTHER FUCKING STUPID ARGUMENT ABOUT 5TH ED NERFING THINGS.

Sharp101 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »

This will be like 3rd to 4th, except with even less required Codex updates. So dont worry about it, the 'Nid codex isn't even on the radar to be redone.

HOWEVER: Read up on some of the rumored 5th ed changes, and some things like rending aren't as overpowered as they are right now. It's still good, but not amazing.

PLEASE DONT LET THIS START ANOTHER FUCKING STUPID ARGUMENT ABOUT 5TH ED NERFING THINGS.

I only take 16 Genestealers anyway, and sure, my flying Warriors take claws too, but that's just to help Cover for something my Flyrant doesn't pack. I'll be happy if Rending Claws remain decent for taking out some of the heavy armor. I don't overly rely on Rending Claws like some Nid lists. I like Guants and some shootin, too.

Even though Venom Cannons can only Glance, it's not a big deal, I try to back them up with Some Barbed Stranglers.

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You need a major amount of glancing hits in 5th to destroy a vehicle (Glancing hits can no longer destroy a vehicle in 5th, unless it has no weapons and is immobilised).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    You need a major amount of glancing hits in 5th to destroy a vehicle (Glancing hits can no longer destroy a vehicle in 5th, unless it has no weapons and is immobilised).
    Yeah, but I'm becoming fond fo the Rationale that I mgiht not need to destroy vehicles outright. If I can just disable them long enough to do some population control, after all, if I still kill enough dudes to get a good amount of Victory Points, it's no big deal, right?

Though, If I absolutely need to, I do have a large number of Spore Mines laying around. (they are one of the few things in the Tyranid List that can Pen high armor targets, right?)

Clawshrimpy on
  • Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, it's cheaper than a Manta...
    Oh, my poor pants.

aVNVOtJ-a3a2bb942c2f7514ebb6cf5cc11.jpg

Gabriel_Pitt on
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jesus fuck.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I just finished looking through the 4th .ed Rulebook and im surprised to see that its not as complicated as I suspected it to be. Hooray.

Gahmrious on
  • Options
    corcorigancorcorigan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Wow, free shipping on a £550 model. That'll make me buy it right away.

corcorigan on
    Ad Astra Per Aspera
This discussion has been closed.