As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Connection was reset.

Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then?Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
I have been stabbing the refresh button for the past 10 minutes to make pages show up.

I have been getting the "Connection was reset" message in firefox fairly consistently.

Blake T on

• RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited March 2008
    um, check your wireless router?

Ramius on
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is the only place it is showing up Ram, and I'm fully wired, it's the only reason I decided to post as yes it looks like it is my fault but no where else is actually reseting.

Blake T on
  • DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    No Ramius, it's true!

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
    edited March 2008
    another site on the internet says "clear your cookies". I don't usually like to suggest such drastic measures as deleting all of them, you might have something important in there!

But you could try deleting any related to penny-arcade...

Or, if you know how to use the Profile Manager, you could just try accessing the site with a fresh profile for a while to verify if it is on your end or not.

Ramius on
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    It happens to me, too, and the PA forums are the only place it's happening.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • kitchkitch Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    start > run > type "cmd" and click OK

ipconfig /flushdns

kitch on
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Oh my god, I am so happy I found this. It's been doing the connection reset for half the day, AND killing my internet whenever I would try to use the forums.
    All better now, changed profiles, cleared cookies, thanks!

correction: It didn't get all better.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    I've been getting this (even AFTER a page on this forum fully loads) since the server move announcement. And it is isolated to this forum only.

Henroid on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2008
    Henroid wrote: »
    I've been getting this (even AFTER a page on this forum fully loads) since the server move announcement. And it is isolated to this forum only.
    kitch wrote: »
    start > run > type "cmd" and click OK

ipconfig /flushdns

If that doesn't help, your ISP is slow as fuck refreshing their DNS.

Satan. on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, this is starting to drive me crazy :/

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
    edited March 2008
    Have you tried any/all of the prescribed fixes and they aren't helping, or are you just complaining that shit doesn't work for you even though it works for everyone else, in hopes that everyone else will care?

Ramius on
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Never mind.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • DislexicDislexic Creepy Uncle Bad Touch Your local playgroundRegistered User regular
    edited March 2008
    Since a few hours after I posted, I have yet to have a single connection reset.

I would think it's a DNS problem. I'm on an essentially business FIOS, and they update frequently.

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
    edited March 2008
    Ramius wrote: »
    Have you tried any/all of the prescribed fixes and they aren't helping, or are you just complaining that shit doesn't work for you even though it works for everyone else, in hopes that everyone else will care?

Yes. I have.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2008
    Do you have a previous entry in your hosts file for the penny-arcade domain/IP address?

What browser are you on, can I assume Firefox 2.0?

Ramius on
    edited April 2008
    Ramius wrote: »
    Do you have a previous entry in your hosts file for the penny-arcade domain/IP address?

What browser are you on, can I assume Firefox 2.0?

Yeah I use firefox, I've already dumped all my cookies and everything from it using the personal settings (I've cleared my private data at least 6 times, including cookies) and done the flushdns thing. I still get repeated connection reset messages.

It's ok at the university, where it does it once in a while only, but at home I get it literally every 2 page loads and sometimes I cannot load a page at all (or up to a certain post then it does it).

Aegeri on
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just wanted to toss in that cookie clearing and DNS flushing has not made these go away on my end.

Henroid on
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Same problem, I've done the stuff mentioned in this thread, not helping at all. Only related to the PA forums, and I had to refresh something like ten times to get to this thread from the Debate and Discourse. This is the second time I have typed this post, as the first time the page timed out halfway through my writing this.

So, yeah. This has been going on for the past couple of days, and it's pretty much a pain in the ass. I haven't been posting very much if at all 'cause it's just too much of a pain in the ass to browse the forums.

Someone help me. Or someone fix this, please.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited April 2008
    It must be my ISP. I've been on the forum the past hour at work (University) and I get no connection resets. At home, it does it constantly, so it must be my [home] ISP.

I don't think there is anything that can be done.

I should try logging on with the proxy from university and then seeing what happens at home.

Aegeri on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've been getting this error, too. I followed the suggestions in this thread, but I'm still getting it. :(

Sheri on
    edited April 2008
    It seems to have mostly stopped! This is either a very positive sign or it's luring me into a false sense of security.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2008
    it flared up yesterday afternoon for about 5-8 hours, then it went away and hasn't come back

Dislexic on
    batsig.jpg
    edited April 2008
    Remember, your partner can still catch herpes from you even if you are not having a flare up. Use safe sex practices at all times.

Ramius on
  • SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aw Ramius, I saw you'd posted again and was hoping you had a solution for me. :(

It is currently happening every single time I refresh, starting about 30-45 minutes ago.

(again, I have tried the fixes in this thread :( )

EDIT: Also a note, it doesn't seem to happen on the main forum index, but on subforum indexes and in threads.

Sheri on
    edited April 2008
    There is no indication that it is anything on our end, and based on anecdotal reports it seems that it might not be on your end. So that leaves the stuff in the middle, which means we are both stuck with nothing to do but wait?

Ramius on
  • GiantRoboGiantRobo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Maybe the bug reports forum is mad at you for not posting in it for a year as of today.

It all makes sense now!

GiantRobo on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    mine was doing this exact thing, i just tried the DNS flush thingy though and we'll see if that works.

Edit: Dear lord, it didnt help. grrr.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, it's still happening. Srill try the solutions, they still don't work. This has only come about after the forum move/switch/whatever, too. Given the number of people it's affecting, I'm not sure how it works out that it's not something with the forums.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, it's still happening. Srill try the solutions, they still don't work. This has only come about after the forum move/switch/whatever, too. Given the number of people it's affecting, I'm not sure how it works out that it's not something with the forums.

Aren't you in god's blind spot (aka China)?

Satan. on
  • Cynic JesterCynic Jester Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This just started happening for me. The forums have been running fine all day then bam, Connection Reset.

Cynic Jester on
  • JaninJanin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Are the people getting this error using Comcast for their ISP, out of curiosity?

Janin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    Nope. Not I, at least.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Columbia, SCRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just started having this problem today.

I tried flushing my DNS and deleting cookies from PA, to no avail.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ok. Things I need to fix this problem:
    • ISP
    • Operating System
    • Browser(s)
    • How often the problem occurs...

Älphämönkëy on
    edited April 2008
    Unfortunately I don't know my ISP at work. I'm running Windows XP, Firefox 2.0.0.13, and it is happening continually, as in multiple attempts required to load every page.

FunkyWaltDogg on
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Unfortunately I don't know my ISP at work. I'm running Windows XP, Firefox 2.0.0.13, and it is happening continually, as in multiple attempts required to load every page.
    Are you posting from work now?

Älphämönkëy on
    edited April 2008
    Are you posting from work now?

Yep.

Hmm, everything seems to be working fine now.

FunkyWaltDogg on
    edited April 2008
    Ok. Things I need to fix this problem:
    • ISP
    • Operating System
    • Browser(s)
    • How often the problem occurs...

DSLExtreme (lame, I know)
    Windows XP SP2
    Firefox/2.0.0.13
    Probably once out of every 5 times I move to another page, whether I am logged in or not.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • TobyToby Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Since you're asking I thought I would pitch in; I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.13 and Windows XP and I'd say it happens about one in five times, too. I'm using ihug, a New Zealand ISP. I've tried both solutions.

Toby on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm lame, and i cant give you my ISP because I cant find a bill around here with the name of it, however I'm on dial up if that means anything.

XP pro SP2
    Firefox 2.0.0.13
    its happening now more frequently than ever... the only way for the most part I can view/post in threads is to manage to press Stop before the page fully loads and then resets.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool