As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Safari issues?

Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
I just switched to Safari a few days ago and found that Ctrl+I, Ctrl+U and Ctrl+B (along with others) no longer work in the forums. They were working fine with Firefox. Is there a Safari setting I have to kick in the face to get this working? It works normally on Safari, according to at least one other forumer on Safari and he can't remember if he had to do anything special.

Satan. on

• BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i can't do the ctrl commands on safari, and never have been able to, i just manually type them, its not that much extra text

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Rear Admiral ChocoRear Admiral Choco I wanna be an owl, Jerry! Owl York CityRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My best guess would be using Alt+whatever, since it's Apple software, but I just type it out in Firefox anyway.

Rear Admiral Choco on
  • Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    My best guess would be using Alt+whatever, since it's Apple software, but I just type it out in Firefox anyway.

I tried just about every modifier combination, and it worked in Firefox (I just switched to Safari). I'm wondering if it's a Safari 3.1 compatibility issue.

Satan. on
    edited April 2008
    Belruel wrote: »
    i can't do the ctrl commands on safari, and never have been able to, i just manually type them, its not that much extra text

Safari 3.1, out of curiosity?

Satan. on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited April 2008
    Go here, and replace the text in the left-side box with the following code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>My title</title>
    </head>

<body>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var userAgent = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();
    var is_opera = ((userAgent.indexOf('opera') != -1) || (typeof(window.opera) != 'undefined'));
    var is_saf = ((userAgent.indexOf('applewebkit') != -1) || (navigator.vendor == 'Apple Computer, Inc.'));
    var is_webtv = (userAgent.indexOf('webtv') != -1);
    var is_ie = ((userAgent.indexOf('msie') != -1) && (!is_opera) && (!is_saf) && (!is_webtv));
    var is_ie4 = ((is_ie) && (userAgent.indexOf('msie 4.') != -1));
    var is_ie7 = ((is_ie) && (userAgent.indexOf('msie 7.') != -1));
    var is_moz = ((navigator.product == 'Gecko') && (!is_saf));
    var is_kon = (userAgent.indexOf('konqueror') != -1);
    var is_ns = ((userAgent.indexOf('compatible') == -1) && (userAgent.indexOf('mozilla') != -1) && (!is_opera) && (!is_webtv) && (!is_saf));
    var is_ns4 = ((is_ns) && (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) == 4));
    var is_mac = (userAgent.indexOf('mac') != -1);

document.write('MOZ: '+is_moz+'<br>SAF: '+is_saf);
    </script>
    </body>

</html>

Then hit the button above the left-side box, and report back what the right-side box tells you. Then, based on that, I might be able to provide you another test to run.

Ramius on
    edited April 2008
    Ramius wrote: »
    Go here, and replace the text in the left-side box with the following code:
    <html>
    <head>
    <title>My title</title>
    </head>

<body>
    <script type="text/javascript">
    var userAgent = navigator.userAgent.toLowerCase();
    var is_opera = ((userAgent.indexOf('opera') != -1) || (typeof(window.opera) != 'undefined'));
    var is_saf = ((userAgent.indexOf('applewebkit') != -1) || (navigator.vendor == 'Apple Computer, Inc.'));
    var is_webtv = (userAgent.indexOf('webtv') != -1);
    var is_ie = ((userAgent.indexOf('msie') != -1) && (!is_opera) && (!is_saf) && (!is_webtv));
    var is_ie4 = ((is_ie) && (userAgent.indexOf('msie 4.') != -1));
    var is_ie7 = ((is_ie) && (userAgent.indexOf('msie 7.') != -1));
    var is_moz = ((navigator.product == 'Gecko') && (!is_saf));
    var is_kon = (userAgent.indexOf('konqueror') != -1);
    var is_ns = ((userAgent.indexOf('compatible') == -1) && (userAgent.indexOf('mozilla') != -1) && (!is_opera) && (!is_webtv) && (!is_saf));
    var is_ns4 = ((is_ns) && (parseInt(navigator.appVersion) == 4));
    var is_mac = (userAgent.indexOf('mac') != -1);

document.write('MOZ: '+is_moz+'<br>SAF: '+is_saf);
    </script>
    </body>

</html>

Then hit the button above the left-side box, and report back what the right-side box tells you. Then, based on that, I might be able to provide you another test to run.

MOZ: false
    SAF: true

Satan. on
    edited April 2008
    For what it's worth, Safari 2.0.4 exhibits the same behavior. I don't even administrate this particular machine and I figured I would give it a try.

Satan. on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Safari's Rich Text Editor controls don't support those commands. You will find that there are no rich text editors on the internets that do.It's not a PA issue, more Safari lacking a feature.

Lewisham on
    edited April 2008
    Lewisham wrote: »
    Safari's Rich Text Editor controls don't support those commands. You will find that there are no rich text editors on the internets that do.It's not a PA issue, more Safari lacking a feature.

I have reports of Safari handling those functions just fine. What about those?

Satan. on
    edited April 2008
    ok, I threw together a test page for you. Go to here: http://xa44.com/test/ and try each of the editors, by typing a little text and then trying the Ctrl-U, Ctrl-B, and Ctrl-I formatting options on that text. Report back the debug info that gets populated into the green box.

Ramius on
    edited April 2008
    ok, I threw together a test page for you. Go to here: http://xa44.com/test/ and try each of the editors, by typing a little text and then trying the Ctrl-U, Ctrl-B, and Ctrl-I formatting options on that text. Report back the debug info that gets populated into the green box.

Basic. Nothing happened with Ctrl+B.
    Debugger INIT
    vb_text_editor init
    textobj = [object HTMLTextAreaElement]
    textobj = TEXTAREA
    vb_text_editor init
    editwin = editdoc = editbox = spellobj = [object HTMLTextAreaElement]
    editorid = vB_Editor_001
    calling set_editor_functions
    addEventListener keypress = function (e) { if (!e) { e = window.event; } if (e.ctrlKey) { var code = e.charCode ? e.charCode : e.keyCode; bugOut("ctrl+keypress " + code); switch (String.fromCharCode(code).toLowerCase()) { case "b": cmd = "bold"; break; case "i": cmd = "italic"; break; case "u": cmd = "underline"; break; default: return; } e = do_an_e(e); vB_Editor[this.editorid].apply_format(cmd, false, null); return false; } else if (e.keyCode == 9) { var firsticon = fetch_object("rb_iconid_0"); if (firsticon != null) { firsticon.focus(); } else if (fetch_object(this.editorid + "_save") != null && !is_opera) { fetch_object(this.editorid + "_save").focus(); } else if (fetch_object("qr_submit") != null && !is_opera) { fetch_object("qr_submit").focus(); } else { return; } e = do_an_e(e); } }
    this.initialized = true
    ctrl+keypress 9
    ctrl+keypress 21

WYSIWYG. Bold and italics showed up, underline did not.
    Debugger INIT
    vb_text_editor init
    textobj = TEXTAREA
    wysisyg_mode 1
    vb_text_editor init
    wysisyg this.set_editor_functions
    onkeyup = function (e) { vB_Editor[this.editorid].set_context(); }
    this.initialized = true

Satan. on
    edited April 2008
    I'd be curious to know if the wysiwyg works for underlining at this site (click the text to turn on editing mode). Perhaps there is a non-standard key combination that Safari uses for Underline (something other than Cmd-U)?

As for the Basic test, I'm surprised to see such low numbers for your ctrl+keypress test. in FF, the Ctrl key doesn't fire anything, and the 'B' key fires a 98. In IE, the Ctrl key fires a 17 and the 'B' key fires a 66. By the looks of it, in Safari the Cmd key fires a 9 and the 'B' key fires a 21? Anyways, it would be nice to see examples with Cmd-I and Cmd-U in there as well. Also, I added one more debug statement in. So when you get a chance, give me the debug output for the Basic test again, thanks.

Ramius on
  • LewishamLewisham Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh, looks like you guys are fixing it. Please ignore my idiocy :(

Lewisham on
    edited April 2008
    I'd be curious to know if the wysiwyg works for underlining at this site (click the text to turn on editing mode). Perhaps there is a non-standard key combination that Safari uses for Underline (something other than Cmd-U)?

As for the Basic test, I'm surprised to see such low numbers for your ctrl+keypress test. in FF, the Ctrl key doesn't fire anything, and the 'B' key fires a 98. In IE, the Ctrl key fires a 17 and the 'B' key fires a 66. By the looks of it, in Safari the Cmd key fires a 9 and the 'B' key fires a 21? Anyways, it would be nice to see examples with Cmd-I and Cmd-U in there as well. Also, I added one more debug statement in. So when you get a chance, give me the debug output for the Basic test again, thanks.

Same issues with that WebKit site. I should notice that I am using Ctrl+_ here, not Cmd. Ctrl is what worked in FF. Cmd+_ never worked in FF and doesn't even produce keypress results in the tests.

Ctrl+B-U-I, Basic Test
    Debugger INIT
    vb_text_editor init
    textobj = TEXTAREA
    vb_text_editor init
    editwin = editdoc = editbox = spellobj = [object HTMLTextAreaElement]
    editorid = vB_Editor_001
    addEventListener keypress = function (e) { if (!e) { e = window.event; } if (e.ctrlKey) { var code = e.charCode ? e.charCode : e.keyCode; bugOut("ctrl+keypress " + code); bugOut("converts to: " + String.fromCharCode(code)); if (e.keyCode) { bugOut(" -- ctrl+keypress " + e.keyCode); bugOut(" -- converts to: " + String.fromCharCode(e.keyCode)); } switch (String.fromCharCode(code).toLowerCase()) { case "b": cmd = "bold"; break; case "i": cmd = "italic"; break; case "u": cmd = "underline"; break; default: return; } e = do_an_e(e); vB_Editor[this.editorid].apply_format(cmd, false, null); return false; } else if (e.keyCode == 9) { var firsticon = fetch_object("rb_iconid_0"); if (firsticon != null) { firsticon.focus(); } else if (fetch_object(this.editorid + "_save") != null && !is_opera) { fetch_object(this.editorid + "_save").focus(); } else if (fetch_object("qr_submit") != null && !is_opera) { fetch_object("qr_submit").focus(); } else { return; } e = do_an_e(e); } }
    this.initialized = true
    ctrl+keypress 21
    converts to: 
    -- ctrl+keypress 21
    -- converts to: 
    ctrl+keypress 9
    converts to: 
    -- ctrl+keypress 9
    -- converts to:

Satan. on
    edited April 2008
    sorry man, looks like safari isn't sending me anything I can work with. At all.

I'm guessing the reports you heard about it working for some people were related to using WYSIWYG mode, which you reported worked for bold and italics.

On the plus side, I believe you have something called "Services"? (http://wafflesoftware.net/thisservice/) I don't know exactly how they work, but if they can take keyboard shortcuts you should be able to make your own bbcode inserter, I'd think.

Ramius on
    edited April 2008
    sorry man, looks like safari isn't sending me anything I can work with. At all.

I'm guessing the reports you heard about it working for some people were related to using WYSIWYG mode, which you reported worked for bold and italics.

On the plus side, I believe you have something called "Services"? (http://wafflesoftware.net/thisservice/) I don't know exactly how they work, but if they can take keyboard shortcuts you should be able to make your own bbcode inserter, I'd think.

It's alright. It's a quicky browser compared to the big players. I'm already starting to work around it and thanks for finding that for me. Thanks for trying!

Satan. on