As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

laptop won't boot; I need files

HamjuHamju Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
When I try to boot up my laptop (Windows XP Home) I get a blue screen and a message that says,
"Stop: c0000221 {Bad Image Checksum}
The image SHDOCVW.dll is possibly corrupt. The header checksum does not match the computed checksum."

I looked this up on Google and basically it looks like part of my HD is corrupt. Now, here's the kicker. I have a big final exam tomorrow (in 22 hours) and all of my notes are on this laptop. If I could somehow boot it up temporarily and throw everything onto a USB key or something then that'd be grand, but I don't know how. So, I guess I need help making a functioning boot disk or something that will help me get to my notes.

I tried repairing off of the XP install disk, but I don't know the admin password for this computer (I got it from Dell and stupidly didn't reinstall Windows) so I couldn't do anything. Thanks for any help you can provide.

kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
Hamju on

• DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Download and burn yourself a Knoppix LiveCD. That will automatically mount your hard drive and let you copy files off onto a USB drive (assuming your hard drive isn't completely hosed).

DrFrylock on
  • ZonkytonkmanZonkytonkman Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i was gonna suggest ubuntu, but yeah, a bunch of linux distro allows you to just burn a cd, then boot your compy from that cd.

Zonkytonkman on
  • wunderbarwunderbar What Have I Done? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    alternatively if you have some kind of 2.5" enclosure or adapter, you could just pull the HDD out and plug it into another PC via USB.

Knoppix or pulling the drive are the two ways to do this.

wunderbar on
    XBL: thewunderbar PSN: thewunderbar NNID: thewunderbar Steam: wunderbar87 Twitter: wunderbar
  • HamjuHamju Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't have an adapter, so I guess I'm gonna have to try Knoppix. However, I've never used it before... is it easy?

Hamju on
    kekekesigshortercuzthinsacunt.jpg
  • Apothe0sisApothe0sis Have you ever questioned the nature of your reality? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The default dell admin password is usually blank.

Have you checked that?

Apothe0sis on