As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Cat-proof furniture

krlkrl Registered User regular
edited April 2008 in Help / Advice Forum
I want to buy a new couch and two new chairs, but they have to be cat-proof, as one of our two cats likes to use our current chair as a scratching post sometimes (even though we have real scratching post, which she uses a lot). I'd like to have some furniture that's immune to cat attacks. What kind of material am I looking for?

Any recommendations?

krl on

• KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Any fabric is going to end up getting scratched up if cats work at it. At best, you can get some fabrics that might last longer and not be as noticably damaged.

How do you feel about modern/post-modern furniture? You might be able to find some designs that don't have a lot of exposed fabric on the legs and arms. Something like this:
    http://www.modernfurniture.com/living-room/seating/cambridgesofa1.cfm

Stay away from leather, rattan and chenille. None of those materials hold up really well to animals. Heavy tapestry or a very tight weave microfiber can work pretty well, but again, if the cat scratches the fabric repeatedly, you'll get noticable damage.

Kakodaimonos on
  • matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There is nothing out there that will resist cat claws. Even wood furniture they'll turn into a scratching post. Your only real hope is to protect it, use something like burlap over the exposed arms/legs. This of course ruins the aesthetic of it, but it will survive.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • FFFF Once Upon a Time In OaklandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I've seen products that are basically clear, double-sided tape. Might be useful to help deter the cat from scratching initially. I think the only realistic course of action may be to make it very clear to the cat that if they scratch the furniture (instead of the scratching post) they get scolded, shot with a squirt gun/spray bottle, etc. You could also try giving your cat a little treat when they use the scratching post.

Then again, in my experience, cats will do pretty much whatever they feel like doing. :|

FF on
    Huh...
  • PeachstrudlePeachstrudle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You can buy sprays that cats don't enjoy the smell/taste of to keep them off scratching furniture. I'm not sure where though, having seen them in a while...
    Either that or you can try training your cat using a spray bottle or a loud noise. Everytime you see the cat scratching something you don't want her too, just spray her gently with water or make the noise. Try not to let her see you though, as it'll turn into a sort of "don't scratch when people are around..."

Peachstrudle on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Lemon juice works wonders.

ben0207 on
  • AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Definitely give the cat treats when they're using the scratching post. Cover the scratching post with catnip as well, if they enjoy it.

I've also found that keeping the old furniture helps. My cats used to scratch apart my old computer chairs, and when we got new ones, we kept one of the old ones. They haven't been interested in the new chairs at all yet, since they still have their torn up chair to play with.

Aurin on
  • DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    people seem to be stuck on thinking about what material can resist a cat

but a better question is what material will a cat resist

for example, my cats could care less about leather, because it's smooth and not good for clawing.

if something had a lot of threads they could sharpen against, they might try and claw that, like the corners of some much older couches we had.

also, providing a scratching post - something else for them will keep their minds off sharpening on furniture.

Deusfaux on
  • The CatThe Cat Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    ben0207 wrote: »
    wouldn't it stain on upholstery? Or is this a dunk-the-cat-in-it approach? Dunno if that would work on mine, I use a pretty strong lemon soap currently (and its not artificially scented) and she's all over me after a shower.

The Cat on
    tmsig.jpg
  • DeathwingDeathwing Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'd like to have some furniture that's immune to cat attacks.

As far as I know, something that is immune to cat scratching, comfortable for humans, AND not mindbendingly expensive does not really exist.

You mention that you have a scratching post....Do you have only one? Maybe our cats just have me trained really well, but we have a scratching post, a cat tree with 9 more posts (all the supports are covered with sissal rope), and at least one of the corrugated cardboard scratcher boxes in every room of the house except the bathroom. 2 quite large forest cats (Siberians), and I don't think there's more than one or two intentional scratch marks on any of our stuff.

Like someone has said already, don't focus on making the furniture resist the cat, make the cat resist the furniture. The cardboard scratchers also tend to work better (if your cat likes it, anyway), if you liberally sprinkle catnip all over - a lot of them will come with a bag of dried nip.

Deathwing on
    steam_sig.png
  • IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Metal-frame furniture?

Cats usually go for the vertical stuff when scratching, so you can at least eliminate half of their scratching options.

Incenjucar on
  • Demon LemonDemon Lemon Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The Cat wrote: »
    ben0207 wrote: »
    wouldn't it stain on upholstery? Or is this a dunk-the-cat-in-it approach? Dunno if that would work on mine, I use a pretty strong lemon soap currently (and its not artificially scented) and she's all over me after a shower.

You just mix the lemon juice with about half water mixture, and then just spray lightly over your furniture.

Demon Lemon on
    logo.gif
  • krlkrl Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanks for the advice.

It seems like there is no magic solution here, apart from training the cats and providing some more scratching options for them. I'll definitely try the lemon juice, and I'll ask around at some furniture stores.

krl on