Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

About this Forum: Don't be a Dick

RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000Administrator, ClubPA admin
WHAT
This forum is the testing grounds for a new feature, wherein the "Report Post" feature has a secondary option, "Report publicly, for Awesomeness".

HOW
This feature is only available to people who have a postcount greater than one thousand.

If you have a postcount greater than one thousand, and you see an awesome post, just click the "report" button on that post and then switch the "Advanced Options" from the default over to "Report publicly, for Awesomeness"

WARNING!
Be aware that abuse of this feature will result in your report button being taken away completely. I know some of you think you have better judgment than you actually do. So, I expect that some of you will report something that is not awesome, but rather trite or boring. If that happens, a moderator or admin will surely post in your thread telling you that your reported post was not awesome. If that happens, you would be wise to think twice before reporting again. You might just have really bad taste! That doesn't make you a bad person!

SUGGESTION
I suggest that to make this forum truly useful and relevant, that when you read threads here, you should use the "Rate this thread" feature to submit how awesome you think the reported post really is. That way, when visiting this forum, you or others can choose to sort by thread rating to bring all the best of the best to the top while burying the rest in obscurity. (note that the thread rating does not show up until the thread has received 5 votes)

STRONGER SUGGESTION
Don't be a dick. That whole cross-forum trolling bullshit thing some of you are doing? Yeah, don't do that. This isn't a place we should actually have to throw cards in, it should just be awesome. So knock it the fuck off.

EVEN STRONGER SUGGESTION
This forum is for posts that are awesomely good, not here to be used to make fun of posts you think are worthy of mocking. Reporting a post for the purposes of mocking the poster will be met with an infraction.

Ramius on

• Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    An idea to really cut down on bad posts making it to this forum: Can it not show up here until it has been reported twice for awesome? Or perhaps visibile only to the mods until such time as it is reported twice?

Edit: I mean, people could easily ask someone else to also report the post, but getting a second opinion before it shows up here couldn't possibly be a bad thing.

The only down side I see at this moment is if they start discussing reporting the post in the thread, which could very well happen anyway.

Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    A folding chair is looking like an attractive option right now too...
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus ha ha just kidding I'm Frog ManRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have high hopes for this forum.

It will be a shining beacon of hope for these dark days.

• AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I guess this will work better than the Forum Post as it's less of a hassle for folks to report.

I do consider it a bit pathetic that this forum shows up on the top of the page, I hope it will be moved to a different sub-category. This forum looks very self-congratulatory to people interested in joining: it kinda gives out a "haha, yeah we are so funny!"-message that is usually reserved for archive forums.

Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
  • The Geebs That Got BigtimedThe Geebs That Got Bigtimed Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    It's not all the way at the top.

Pb6cUzZ.pngTeRnRlj.pnglBMZaaL.pnglm0oV4l.pngsw4UHsU.png
  • RingoRingo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Re: Thread Rating

I see that I can click on "Rate this thread" multiple times. Does that actually change the rating I gave it, give me multiple votes, or do nothing at all?

ceres wrote: »
    I'm just going to go ahead and lock this thread before I feel any worse about humanity.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG now featured at the Exigency Forum
    edited April 2008
    It's not all the way at the top.
    Only Tube's circus is more to the top.

• FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY EVERY DAYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ramius wrote: »
    Spoiler:

reported

xcomsig.png
  • Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Can people report their own posts as awesome?

• FalloutFallout GIRL'S DAY EVERY DAYRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    the judgement of awesomeness is best left to independent reviewers, i'm sure

xcomsig.png
  • Space CoyoteSpace Coyote Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well, yes that was kind of what I was thinking.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, is there going to be a way to tell a post has been reported for awesome (outside of reading this board)?
    Infraction earning posts are tagged with a yellow or red card, will Awesome posts be tagged as well? Or will we just let the awesome speak for itself?

Ringo wrote: »
    Well except what see317 said. That guy's always wrong.
  • MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    They could be tagged with a :^:.

• DaedalusDaedalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Or a lime-colored card.

vvvvvv-dithw.png
  • BelruelBelruel naw Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    no lime, that is a terrible idea

3DS friendcode: 2380-4618-2503
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited April 2008
    see317 wrote:
    So, is there going to be a way to tell a post has been reported for awesome (outside of reading this board)?
    Infraction earning posts are tagged with a yellow or red card, will Awesome posts be tagged as well?

I don't think I will be tagging posts which have been reported. The software doesn't really allow for it along this codepath, and I don't really want to bother with the storage and querying aspects for it, at this time.

Can people report their own posts as awesome?
    No, they cannot.

Ringo wrote:
    I see that I can click on "Rate this thread" multiple times. Does that actually change the rating I gave it,
    Yes, you are allowed to change your mind/change your rating. Re-submitting the same rating has no effect.

Aldo wrote:
    I do consider it a bit pathetic that this forum shows up on the top of the page, I hope it will be moved to a different sub-category.
    pathetic is a pretty strong sentiment, isn't it? Anyways, I hope you are willing to grant me an advertising period to help a fledgling forum get off its feet.

people could easily ask someone else to also report the post, but getting a second opinion before it shows up here couldn't possibly be a bad thing.

The only down side I see at this moment is if they start discussing reporting the post in the thread, which could very well happen anyway.
    I'm willing to consider the "2 reports to show up" option as a later enhancement, if it seems warranted. As for meta-discussion in-thread, I would expect that people in on-topic threads will know better, and in off-topic threads it is already normal for a chorus of "hahaha" and ":^:" to show up when someone posts something good.

Any other questions?

edited April 2008
    Since you're administrating this forum you can do whatever the hell you want, Ramius. Just postin' my opinion on it. :3

• SegSeg Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Belruel wrote: »
    no lime, that is a terrible idea

As always, Bel knows where it is at.

• Satan.Satan. __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2008
    Aldo wrote: »
    Since you're administrating this forum you can do whatever the hell you want, Ramius. Just postin' my opinion on it. :3

The fuck crawled up your ass?

Thanks for this forum, Ramius.

edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Aldo wrote: »

The fuck crawled up your ass?

Thanks for this forum, Ramius.

I didn't mean that in a negative way. :? It is his forum and I can whine all I want, it won't make a difference. I love this forum, 's what I'm saying.

• Unearthly StewUnearthly Stew Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I suppose it should be mentioned here that doing this does make a new thread. Just saying so people don't make the same mistake I did.

Also: is it possible to include the person you're reporting for awesomeness in the quote tree? Right now it's something like:
    Forumer Y wrote:
    Forumer X wrote:
    Original comment...
    Reply to comment.
    Awesome post!

It isn't a major thing, since you can figure out who made the awesome post by looking at the information above, but it just looks a little odd imo.

I like the feature though. Thanks Ramius.

• As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I am just WAITING for someone to report their own post.

If that is even possible.

XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
    edited April 2008
    As7 wrote: »

According to Ramius earlier in this thread, it isn't.

edit: actually it looks like Tossrock reported his own post, which may have lead to Ramius changing things so that you can't report your own posts.

• BbajBbaj Registered User
    edited April 2008

Didn't Tossrock already report his own post? Its already locked though.

• jwalkjwalk frosty Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    wouldn't it be better if the thread title was the original thread title instead of "reported for awesome by Xyz"

• WeretacoWeretaco Cubicle Gangster Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ramius, along with the idea of rating posts + threads.

What about setting up some RSS feed stuff so we could subscribe to top rated posts/threads? Maybe make it configurable to say "list 4 star threads".

edit:
    also being able to subscribe to specific forums would be rad.
    So i could pick like
    G&T 4+ stars
    se++ 3+ stars

and have an RSS feed for both.. or even separate feeds for each forum

Unofficial PA IRC chat: #paforums at irc.slashnet.org
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Any other questions?

Is there any way to get a notification if we have already rated a thread? A little star icon off by itself somewhere, perhaps? I don't know, just tossing ideas out.

Some days I just want to smack people with a rolled up newspaper. Or a phone book.
    edited April 2008
    When you are in a thread that you have rated, I'm pretty sure it shows your rating up at the top, where the "Rate Thread" option lives.

edited April 2008
    Weretaco wrote: »
    Ramius, along with the idea of rating posts + threads.

What about setting up some RSS feed stuff so we could subscribe to top rated posts/threads? Maybe make it configurable to say "list 4 star threads".

edit:
    also being able to subscribe to specific forums would be rad.
    So i could pick like
    G&T 4+ stars
    se++ 3+ stars

and have an RSS feed for both.. or even separate feeds for each forum
    almost all of the content on these forums moves at too fast of a pace to recommend RSS, but you are right that rated threads could be the one exception. I'll try to keep it in mind for a future enhancement.

edited April 2008
    jwalk wrote: »
    wouldn't it be better if the thread title was the original thread title instead of "reported for awesome by Xyz"
    I'll run it by the moderators. This is the way reports show up to us in the infractions/reports forum, and we're all pretty used to it being this way. I can't very easily change it here without also changing it there.

edited April 2008
    When you are in a thread that you have rated, I'm pretty sure it shows your rating up at the top, where the "Rate Thread" option lives.

It shows the thread's overall rating there, but not whether you have rated it or what your rating was.

• TossrockTossrock too weird to live too rare to dieRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Bbaj wrote: »

Didn't Tossrock already report his own post? Its already locked though.

In my defense, I did that in the first like, 10 minutes the feature was active as a test.

Edit: Also, how often can we report posts? Because I know quite a few that deserve some recognition

Is it okay to just go back through old threads and pick out the gems?

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    They'd better be some seriously badass gems

• yourclothesyourclothes __BANNED USERS
    edited April 2008
    it would really be nice to have a second report button for this

just sayin'

ssseeee.gif
    edited April 2008
    I am finding out that my criteria for "awesome" is very different from other people on these forums.

• areaarea Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm all for this forum. There's one thing that could make it better in my mind, but I think it's bordering on the impossible given how integrated the system is with the forums. Nonetheless, I'm going to demand it anyway.

Some way to distinguish new topics since you last visited the forum. I don't particularly need to read a bunch of ":^:" or "D:" posts (depending on the flavour of the awesome post), which is what the 'New Post' symbol mostly does. At the moment, you can get a pretty good approximation by skimming down the 'First Post' column, but it'd be nice to have slightly something easier.

minisig.jpg
  • EchoEcho staring is caring Super Moderator, Moderator mod
    edited April 2008
    Can we have the forum always display the threads in chronological order? I'm reading this for Awesomeness, not dozens of "omg dat wus funny" posts.

• Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    How about we just disable posting aside from the initial report.

Steam name: munkus_beaver
    Blizzard thing: munkus#1952
    Nintendo ID (3DS thinger): munkusbeaver
    Please give to the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation of America: http://www.ccfa.org/
    Humor can be dissected, as a frog can, but it dies in the process.
    edited April 2008
    Doesn't the "Order by First Post" feature cover this? (click the column header, or use this link: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/forumdisplay.php?f=63&daysprune=-1&order=desc&sort=dateline)

I guess you might need to have some idea when you last visited, but you could probably glean that from the list of unread threads.

• JasconiusJasconius sword criminal Flo-ridaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It would be nice if the generated thread title included the name of the actual "awesome poster" instead of who reported.

Who reported it seems less important than who actually made the original post.

• BelruelBelruel naw Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    there really shouldn't be that many awesome posts that any revision to what is now in place needs to be made. if it isn't broken why make ramius spend hours nitpicking it.

also, i think this is a pretty great idea ramius, some posts are just really awesome and deserve recognition all by themselves, like the berk comic edit, which would disappear after just a few days unless someone reposted it later on.

:^:

3DS friendcode: 2380-4618-2503
This discussion has been closed.