As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ROCK BAND: It begins...the first single to be released through Rock Band

1565758596062»

• darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That price drop still wouldn't look to drop it below the £133 mark we've all paid for it from play, so my pre-order would stand.

edit: just doing a quick conversion, I imagine that'd be rounded up to £140 which is what play are already listing it as, so yeah. And if play do drop their prices, then they're meant to honour that for pre-orders too.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • AngrySquirrelAngrySquirrel Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    Nocren wrote: »
    It works EXACTLY like Karaoke Revolution (Published by Konami, developed by.... HMX!)

EDIT: Beaten...
    And hey, I still can't sing "My Sharona" worth a shit. However, I can sing "My Balona" perfectly.

(Also, apparently Weird Al also has a "Won't get fooled again" parody called "Won't eat prunes again".)

No, he doesn't. If its not on this list, its not a Weird Al song. So many people online mislabel any parody as being by Al.

Funny, I don't see "Chicken Pot Pie" (Live and Let Die) or "I'll Repair for You" (I'll be there for you) or "Laundry day (Keep'em seperated)" (Come out and play) on that list either. And I know for a fact that those three are his, he just only does them live.
    You beat me to it, was just gonna say there are several songs he has never recorded, but does live.

Also, http://youtube.com/watch?v=EBvh6JPSmy0 sounds a lot like him to me and he did (still does?) a lot of work on the Dr. Demento show in his early days so I'm inclined to believe it's him.

I stand corrected. I was not aware that he had live only songs as I've never gotten around to seeing him live, and considering his recording dates listed songs that haven't appeared on albums I was under the impression that it was all of his songs.

However my point still stands that too many people online list any parody as being by Al, I've seen songs by female vocalists listed as Weird Al.
    100% Agree with you there. Hell I've seen tons of Bob Rivers' stuff credited to Al online.

Anyway back on topic, I can't wait to get home tonight and grab the four new songs.

AngrySquirrel on
    Live/PSN: IronSquirrel ,, Steam: angrysquirrel
    Battle.net: IronSquirrel#1462
  • Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Captain K wrote: »
    Aw man. :(

Message in a Bottle is way easier and more straight forward this time around. Now it's just chords all the way through the "I'll send an SOS..." where in GH2 it was chord-single-chord-single so you had to keep pulling a finger off. Was fun as hell.

Maybe it was more "fun to play", but that shit pissed me off on GH2. It was totally unfaithful to the way you'd actually play the song on guitar. Whoever did the note chart got incredibly worked up about dissecting each individual strum of the instrument from the guitar track, and the strums where the notes from the higher strings were less prominent were represented in the note chart by a single note instead of a chord. But the guy playing the guitar was clearly just playing the same chord over and over.

I like the new one better, even if it's "vanilla". :P
    This.

Too many times since even GH1 I've felt that the note charts were 'spiced up' for the sake of difficulty. Sometimes guitar tracks just are boring rhythm strumming. And mostly they're not filled with crazy long strings of HOPOs.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Arikado wrote: »
    See for yourself

GH2 Rock Band

Try This for madness fun. Start the right video immediately and the left video when the right is at 9 seconds. It's actually about 8.5 seconds, but you can quickly pause/unpause the right video to sync it better. Also the middle part is different enough to throw it off before the 2nd (?) bridge.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aw man. :(

Message in a Bottle is way easier and more straight forward this time around. Now it's just chords all the way through the "I'll send an SOS..." where in GH2 it was chord-single-chord-single so you had to keep pulling a finger off. Was fun as hell.

Maybe it was more "fun to play", but that shit pissed me off on GH2. It was totally unfaithful to the way you'd actually play the song on guitar. Whoever did the note chart got incredibly worked up about dissecting each individual strum of the instrument from the guitar track, and the strums where the notes from the higher strings were less prominent were represented in the note chart by a single note instead of a chord. But the guy playing the guitar was clearly just playing the same chord over and over.

I like the new one better, even if it's "vanilla". :P
    This.

Too many times since even GH1 I've felt that the note charts were 'spiced up' for the sake of difficulty. Sometimes guitar tracks just are boring rhythm strumming. And mostly they're not filled with crazy long strings of HOPOs.

You can see that in the doubler compairison . GH2 added stuff so you're doing something during certain parts while in RB you're not. Also looks like it's not as difficult in RB

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I found it more fun in RB. I dont know if thats because Im a die hard Police fan and the master just sounds so much better, but I love the little mini solos that pop up after every chorus. In GH2 they sounded like a cover, so to play them as I always remembered hearing them is just awesome.

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • couttscoutts Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So an update on my X-Plorer return, they sent me a brand new one...

coutts on
    Pearl FC - 2535 1604 7594 // Black FC - 2494 3438 2717
    scorpex.jpg
  • Charles KinboteCharles Kinbote Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    holy fucking christ today's pack is fun on guitar

every song but Message leaves something to be desired on drums but shit that is some awesome guitar shit, fucl

Charles Kinbote on
    edited April 2008
    does anyone have any tips for Detroit Rock City on expert drums, by the by?

as soon as it gets to the point where it's "yellow - red+bass - bass" in repetition (I think that's what it is) I just shit all over myself and die

Charles Kinbote on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008

as soon as it gets to the point where it's "yellow - red+bass - bass" in repetition (I think that's what it is) I just shit all over myself and die
    Where the HELL have you been Mr. Butcher!?

Skip this rockband nonsense and get back to TF2. (just kidding don't infract me)

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • ArikadoArikado Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I just powered through it. Breaking combos constantly but hitting as much as I could. It also seems that the energy sections are pretty simple to hit so I just saved it as long as I could.

This was the first song where I had to put something heavy behind my drumkit so that I wouldn't push it back with all the bass kicks I have to do.

Arikado on
    BNet: Arikado#1153 | Steam | LoL: Anzen
  • mxmarksmxmarks Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, from the Rock Blogs:

http://www.rockband.com/blog/entry/290541

Nope, it’s a stomping and snarling ode to Hollywood decadence, just the sort of thing that put the Crüe on the map in the 80’s. It’s the first new release from the original lineup in ten years, the teaser for a new album they’re releasing this summer (the album is tentatively called “the Dirt”, same title as the Crüe’s notorious tell-all biography). Be prepared for a special announcement from the Crüe today at 7PM EST over at http://www.therockvine.com/. If this one doesn’t get your blood pumping and your heart kick-started, you need to make a call to Dr. Feelgood.

So, are the HMX folks just promoting a Motley Crue announcements as fans of the band, or do you think they may announce some more DLC? I really want Dr. Feelgood...

mxmarks on
    PSN: mxmarks - WiiU: mxmarks - twitter: @ MikesPS4 - twitch.tv/mxmarks - "Yes, mxmarks is the King of Queens" - Unbreakable Vow
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    WHAT

A BOSTON SONGPACK

WHY DIDN'T I KNOW ABOUT THIS

I am so paying my friend to download this! Holy shiiiiiiiiit!

GreasyKidsStuff on
    edited April 2008

Where the HELL have you been Mr. Butcher!?

Skip this rockband nonsense and get back to TF2. (just kidding don't infract me)

my computer has stopped running everything

$3000 and I have to decide between listening to music or browsing the web

TF2 is so far out of the question

Charles Kinbote on
  • rakuenCallistorakuenCallisto Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    my computer has stopped running everything

$3000 and I have to decide between listening to music or browsing the web

TF2 is so far out of the question
    God freakin damnit man.

We're finishing up this tournament soon and my team is in the semi-finals WOOOOOOOOOOOO

Too bad man, we could've used a skilled spy/soldier. Let me know if you ever come back onto steam, shoot me a PM. You know the name.

rakuenCallisto on
    cbtswoosig.png
  • LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Greg USN wrote: »
    For Europe:
    http://kotaku.com/379931/rock-band-europe-to-see-price-retraction-tomorrow

Rumor
    Rock band to price to be reduced. Hopefully this will ease some pain for y'all.

i.e. LewieP to lose money soon

D:

That's my 360 fund!

Although seriously, if it means that people can get it for less then that's awesome

I just got back from a 65daysofstatic gig and all I can say is "fuck vocalists."

LewieP on
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So the Wii versions 5 'exclusive' tracks have been announced... Stuff we already can buy, and nothing too fantastic either.

"Dirty Little Secret" - The All-American Rejects
    "Don't Look Back in Anger" - Oasis
    "Roam" - The B-52's
    "Rockaway Beach" - The Ramones
    "Roxanne" - The Police

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • One Thousand CablesOne Thousand Cables An absence of thought Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aw, that sucks for Wii folks. Hey, at least you get Roxanne!

One Thousand Cables on
  • the Togfatherthe Togfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    See, that makes me think that they do fully intend to implement dlc on the wii somehow, sometime, because if they weren't, then why wouldn't they just take the five highest selling dlc songs and make those the 'bonus' ones? I supposed licensing could be an issue, but I imagine they covered the possibility in their initial deals, so it seems unlikely. And you simply can't tell me those are the five highest selling dlc songs...

the Togfather on
    The night is dark and full of terrors.
    twit feed
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    this is like 8 pages old as well, but the zune cards are a smaller denomination than the Xbox point cards too, I pick them up if i only need 1200 points (15 USD) as opposed to dropping 20 on a 1600 that might take me a while to go through. (although at the rate they are releasing good songs for rock band, i've been buying and using 20 dollar cards at an alarming rate.)

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zephos wrote: »
    this is like 8 pages old as well, but the zune cards are a smaller denomination than the Xbox point cards too, I pick them up if i only need 1200 points (15 USD) as opposed to dropping 20 on a 1600 that might take me a while to go through. (although at the rate they are releasing good songs for rock band, i've been buying and using 20 dollar cards at an alarming rate.)

I just usually add my points in $6.25 chunks for 500 points through the Dashboard.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • vegeta_666vegeta_666 CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Zephos wrote: »

I just usually add my points in $6.25 chunks for 500 points through the Dashboard.

As a random side note, to give you a perspective of Canadian point prices: 500 points cost $7.75 through the dashboard. 1400 points cards cost $20 and of course 2800 is $40. Which sort of sucks but I like me my Rock Band songs so I pay it...

vegeta_666 on
    Sob24Nm.png
    Steam: abunchofdaftpunk | PSN: noautomobilesgo | Lastfm: sjchszeppelin | Backloggery: colincummings | 3DS FC: 1392-6019-0219 |
  • Captain KCaptain K Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    More Than A Feeling drums + vocals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRUEeaN5m64

Captain K on
  • Minch00Minch00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Jeez, my brain just failed playing the new Crue song. I only got around 85%. I have no idea what happened.

Minch00 on
    ArmedBig+B+007.png
    edited April 2008
    Yeah that Crue song has some funky ass bass kicks on it. They look simple at first but, despite my best efforts, I seemed to keep missing the double kicks that were oddly spaced.

Arikado on
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    so this is probably a dumb question, but this is probably the only place i can get a straight answer.

I want to play rockband, but do not have a 360 or ps3. It might be awhile before I have either. So I was thinking about getting the ps2 version. Now the question i have is, will the instruments work on the 360? As in, when I get a 360, can I just buy a standalone disk and be good to go?

ronzo on
    edited April 2008
    No. All the instruments are made to work for the system they're made for.

Exception being the microphone. I think.

Arikado on
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The instruments you get will only work with that system you get them for.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • ronzoronzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, they actually sell system specific drum kits? cause all the ones i've seen have not been label ps3 or 360 or ps2 only

ronzo on
  • CymoroCymoro Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Yes, it has to do with the fact that each controller has to comply with the system's requirements. The 360 version has a guide button with the ring around it, and the PS3 has what it has.

Cymoro on
    i am perpetual, i make the country clean
  • troublebrewingtroublebrewing Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

not that this will swing anybody's decision but I can confim the ps3 mic did work in my 360. I had to bring my 360 to a friend's house since I have a good bit of dlc and forgot my mic.

troublebrewing on
  • meteredsectionmeteredsection Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    More Than A Feeling drums + vocals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NRUEeaN5m64

100% vocals? Bravo.

meteredsection on
    Jack+Durden.png
  • JoahWJoahW Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    JoahW wrote: »
    Motley Crue song is amazing on guitar and drums.

Message in a Bottle is pretty much the same as GH2 on guitar, except with that one insane hard part at the end taken out. :( It is, however, completely awesome on drums as expected.

That "one insane hard part" at the end of the GH2 track wasn't really in the original recording, though. It was just in the WaveGroup cover.

Ah, that would make sense.

That would also make sense why EVERY SONG in GH2 had at least one ridiculous part that prevented me from ever FCing them.

JoahW on
    Jamada.gif
  • NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

not that this will swing anybody's decision but I can confim the ps3 mic did work in my 360. I had to bring my 360 to a friend's house since I have a good bit of dlc and forgot my mic.

Not quiet, The PS2 gear will work on the PS3, you just need the software.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
    edited April 2008
    New threaaaaaaaaaaaaaad

I lost count...

Arikado on
  • Captain CrunchCaptain Crunch Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hey does anyone know how to fix a Guitar Hero 2 explorer controller? The stum bar goes crazy through all the menus and strumming downwards doesn't do any thing.

Captain Crunch on
This discussion has been closed.