As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

The Walking Dead.

AbraveyAbravey Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Graphic Violence
A true classic (well sorta) zombie-comic. Anyone else read it? I mean the story overall so far is pretty original (minus the whole zombie outbreak part), and the use of black and white coloring is a neat idea. Brings me back to the Night Of The Living Dead.

Any who, any readers?:lol:

thewalkingdead1_cov.jpg

Abravey on

• AbraveyAbravey Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Bump.

Abravey on
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited January 2008
    Please don't bump threads without adding new content. If people want to post in it, they will.

And definitely don't do it less than twenty minutes after you post a thread. Man.

DJ Eebs on
  • RingoRingo He/Him a distinct lack of substanceRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I was just going to ignore this, but you're new so maybe this'll help:

1) It's not stated in the rules, but bumping is generally frowned upon here, especially when you don't have anything new to say.

2) Take a minute to browse the forum and notice that the first page has threads that haven't been replied to in a week. There is absolutely no fear of your thread going unnoticed, and absolutely no reason it needed to be bumped within just a few minutes of posting it.

Edit: Dammit Geebs

Ringo on
    Sterica wrote: »
    I know my last visit to my grandpa on his deathbed was to find out how the whole Nazi werewolf thing turned out.
    Edcrab's Exigency RPG
  • AbraveyAbravey Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Will do. Thanks the for the advice.

Abravey on
  • ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I liked it for the first what, 12 issues? Then I just lost interest.

ben0207 on
  • psycojesterpsycojester Registered User regular
    edited January 2008
    yep, i stopped bothering about the same time they reached the prison. Zombie stories only work for me when you keep the zombies as a constant if distant threat, if your survivors reach a secure location where they can just put their feet up and settle in relative comfort you've totally failed to maintain my interest.

psycojester on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • firejester1987firejester1987 Registered User new member
    edited January 2008
    yep, i stopped bothering about the same time they reached the prison. Zombie stories only work for me when you keep the zombies as a constant if distant threat, if your survivors reach a secure location where they can just put their feet up and settle in relative comfort you've totally failed to maintain my interest.

you Really missed out the death is nowhere near done.

firejester1987 on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Yeah... they really were only safe in that prison for a couple issues.... maybe a week in comic time.

Sharp101 on
  • KriegdracheKriegdrache Registered User new member
    edited January 2008

What about the old Dawn of the Dead?

They managed to escape the zombies, for months, yet the gaps between them getting to the mall and the end of the movie, was still epic.

I just don't like the Walking Dead, because of this whole "humans are at war with each other again lawl". I mean, this new town thing was just stupid imho.

Kriegdrache on
  • jkylefultonjkylefulton Squid...or Kid? NNID - majpellRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    This book kind of lost me when it went through delays last year (or maybe it was two years ago). I like it, but it's not really at the top of my stack anymore, y'know? I do like the concept behind it though, but I'm a fan of zombie stuff (like WWZ, or the Romero dead movies, or blah blah I'll shut up now).

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    I'm in pretty much the same position. I just buy it whenever I notice a new Trade has come out :P

Sharp101 on
    edited January 2008
    Well, it doesn't help that there are lots of quality books being put out these days. It's a good time to be a comic fan, when your biggest problem is, "Do I read FABLES first this week, or CRIMINAL, or IRON FIST, or WALKING DEAD, or ACTION COMICS, or......" - you get the idea. There's a great variety of product, something for everyone!

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • AngryAngry The glory I had witnessed was just a sleight of handRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    i pick up the trades because their cheap, but it definitely isn't my favourite.

Angry on
  • mugginnsmugginns Jawsome Fresh CoastRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    It is pretty slow right now.

mugginns on
    E26cO.jpg
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2008
    Decent art, and although the story kinda drags on at times I like the whole moving from place to place and dealing with various zombie antics thing they got going. I've read up to where they discover the prison, and I think I'll keep an eye out for the next trade.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • DMACDMAC Come at me, bro! Moderator mod
    edited January 2008
    I've been picking it up in trades too and I've found some of the prison stuff a bit draggy. I'd like to get back to a bit more of an "on the run" feeling. Maybe even switching to another group entirely. It kind of makes me wonder how long a zombie/survival story can sustain itself. I'm sort of curious about the state of the rest of the world. Is anyone sending radio signals? Is there a human stronghold anywhere? Is anyone looking into a cure or at least a way to put the zombies down for good?

The relationships they've set up are interesting but it sort of feels like they need to move things along a little action-wise. (Although it does look like there has been some shit going down since the last trade.)

DMAC on
  • cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    My friend recommended this to me to try and get me "into" comics.

Honestly, not impressed. I really don't care about these characters, but that might just be because I'm dead on the inside. Sure, I know I'm supposed to be excited and worried when the zombies come out, and when people die, I'm supposed to feel sad. But people who die are usually stupid or dicks.

edit: also picked up trades of Preacher, Walking Dead 1 and 2, and Y The Last Man. Sorta regretting my two trade purchase, but whatever.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited February 2008
    Y The Last Man is definitely a better example of a good comic. I don't like Preacher, but that's a matter of taste and not an indication of quality.

DJ Eebs on
    edited February 2008
    You might be able to exchange those trades (either at your store, or with someone here), cooljammer00.

Also, I challenge your 'dead on the inside'-ness by asking you to read some of the FABLES trades.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • FrowbakkFrowbakk Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Sharp101 wrote: »
    I'm in pretty much the same position. I just buy it whenever I notice a new Trade has come out :P

I only buy the trades, and it kind of worked with the slow pace of the zombie survival story, but the latest trade ends with a big cliffhanger...
    ...of the Governor in a Tank and several trucks full of guys with guns coming to take the prison as theirs.

When they came across the Tank in the Guard base they should have either taken it or disabled it in some way... removed an engine part or set it on fire. If you're going to use Scorched Earth tactics by blowing up their fuel, make sure you do it right.

Since I can only get to my old comic shop on a quarterly basis,trades make more sense. I'll have to switch my Powers subscription over to trades next time I'm down there.

Frowbakk on
    Your sig was too tall.
  • comicgeek77comicgeek77 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    this is just about my favorite ongoing series. i am a huge geek for zombie movies and i honestly wondered for years why nobody ever took the premise and ran with it in a comic book. of course since this series started about a million other zombie comics have come out which i think has kinda caused a backlash against this series. i still think walking dead is a really solid read though. kirkman writes some pretty believable/relatable characters and is pretty good with the cliffhangers. just about every issue ends off and leaves me anxiously awaiting the next one. i also dig adlards art alot (i have an original page from this series hanging in my bedroom) but i know alot of people complain about it. and i will concede that the slow pace of the book lately has been a drag at times (i keep waiting for them to leave the prison) but i am betting the pace will pick up quite a bit as the series rolls towards issue fifty.

comicgeek77 on
  • HaikiraHaikira UKRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I've fallen behind a little, i have 1-4 of the slightly harder back ones (I'm not sure how much each includes, i think its like 7).

Is the story still set in
    That fecking prison
    ?

Haikira on
    steam_sig.png
    PSN:Hakira__
  • GrifterGrifter BermudaModerator mod
    edited February 2008
    Well it is getting interesting again.
    Well, a few of them hopped in the RV after the fight with the governor. And the black people have gone after the city folk but have been captured. It's starting to get really interesting again. Also, Rick just keeps on getting beat up. Poor guy gets shot and cut up on a regular basis.

Grifter on
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I just got the new issuse. I was shocked to say the least.

I'm still loving it.

Toxic Toys on
    3DS code: 2938-6074-2306, Nintendo Network ID: ToxicToys, PSN: zutto
  • Mr PinkMr Pink I got cats for youRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Alright, so where do I jump in guys? Start getting trades from day one?

Mr Pink on
    edited February 2008
    That would probably be your best bet, yes.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • The WalrusThe Walrus ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited February 2008
    Extremely linear comic, I had to buy a bunch of trades to catch up but I finally got there. One of my faves

The Walrus on
    http://wreck-age.net Home of your soon to be favorite post-collapse, dystopian, SF Table Top Strategy game & RPG

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/hyacinthgames/a-tabletop-rpg-and-board-games-project-from-chicag
  • Fooswashere1Fooswashere1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I starting getting into it about Trade #3 then I have collected ever since. One of the greatest stories in comic books right now. The story sticks to the story and it rarely never strays from the current story (except one time I can think of). If you can get all the trades at once I would seriously spend a half a day and read all of them in one sitting. You will be full engulfed in the story in no time.

Fooswashere1 on
  • Mustard TigerMustard Tiger Registered User regular
    edited February 2008
    I starting getting into it about Trade #3 then I have collected ever since. One of the greatest stories in comic books right now. The story sticks to the story and it rarely never strays from the current story (except one time I can think of). If you can get all the trades at once I would seriously spend a half a day and read all of them in one sitting. You will be full engulfed in the story in no time.

Thats basically what I did, picked up the first 5 read them all over one weekend. Now I'm hooked.

Mustard Tiger on
  • SuperJaySS4SuperJaySS4 Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    This is definitely one of my favorite non-mainstream series...
    I am usually not a fan of zombies...though I love vampires, but the stuff this group goes through...the bonding and the fallouts within that supposedly safe environment...as well as the characters...specially the two kids! I need to get back on the pony though...stopped reading this for a while...all comics actually, cause of work and school...

SuperJaySS4 on
    I can only be who I am, but how I can be what I do not know?
  • Brian EwingBrian Ewing Registered User regular
    edited March 2008
    These are the primary reasons I think The Walking Dead is one of the best books on the shelves right now:

1. It's a slice-of-life book, first and foremost. Instead of being about mosters or creeping readers out or any of that, those things are there to provide context and put the characters under an extreme amount of stress. The post-apocalyptic zombie element is more of a setting and backdrop than an all-encompassing label.

2. It's a true ongoing serial. You won't find any arcs, and you won't find any issues with a clear beginning, middle, and end -- every issue just picks off where the last one left off, and then ends when Kirkman runs out of pages. The transition from issue to issue is so seemless that people reading the trades can't always tell where one stops and the next begins. This makes the whole thing feel a lot more natural and organic than a lot of books today. Without arcs, you don't really have acts, so it isn't as transparently structured. It's nothing but beats, and they don't follow any particular pattern.

3. Kirkman really doesn't skip over anything. This book devotes a lot more space to downtime and mundane details than just about any other series I've ever read. Understandly, that makes it really boring to a lot of people. But personally, I think it goes a long way to help sell the situation as reality, and allow me to believe in the characters as people.

There's never been a comic like it, and after keeping me entertained and wanting more for 46 issues straight, I can see myself keeping it high on my priority list for many more years.

Brian Ewing on
    "Remember, always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon
  • Toxic ToysToxic Toys Are you really taking my advice? Really?Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    OK. Issue 48 is fucked up. I all mosted cried. I want to say it was the best issuse so far. You get invested into these charcters and what happened hit me hard.

Toxic Toys on
    edited April 2008
    Say what you want about Kirkman's writing, but he is not afraid to do terrible, terrible things to his characters.

jkylefulton on
    tOkYVT2.jpg
  • cmorrscmorrs Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I can't believe Kirkman killed a fucking new born child. That shit's messed. I may have to go back and see if they show the baby bits. If so, jesus christ.

Also, thank god the Governor's dead

cmorrs on
    edited April 2008
    cmorrs wrote: »
    I can't believe Kirkman killed a fucking new born child. That shit's messed. I may have to go back and see if they show the baby bits. If so, jesus christ.

Also, thank god the Governor's dead
    Yes they do, the bottom of the blanket is shown exploding along with Lori's body. Then she falls on top of Judith.

I am happy that some of the towns people finally saw that the Governor was a bad guy. Too bad it took killing every one for them to wise up.

Toxic Toys on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So does this have an planned ending or will it just go on? After reading #48 I guess all bets are off.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • SatanIsMyMotorSatanIsMyMotor Fuck Warren Ellis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It will just go on and on indefinitely. Kirkman has said on multiple occassions that he would like to write this book forever.

SatanIsMyMotor on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It will just go on and on indefinitely. Kirkman has said on multiple occassions that he would like to write this book forever.

Good

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • redfield85redfield85 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ok, I skipped the whole thread because I am waiting for the Vol. 8 trade to come out (I started with trades with The Walking Dead and it is going to stay that way).

I love this series. I don't really follow many comics, if at all. I usually buy random stuff. I have Vol. 1 trade of Ultimate Spider-Man (and just picked up Vol. 2). That is about it. I want to stay consistent with US and TWD.

I love me some zombies, and the story is just fantastic. And I love how they aren't afraid to kill off characters.

P.S. I got Tony Moore's autograph on my Vol. 1 trade. That makes me so happy.

redfield85 on
    bYf6vNQ.png
    Tumblr | Twitter | Twitch | Pinny Arcade Lanyard
    [3DS] 3394-3901-4002 | [Xbox/Steam] Redfield85
  • DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just read the first 4 trades.

Tyreese is hardcore.

DeMoN on
    Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg