As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Jack the Phapper [Phalla] Signups!

• GreeperGreeper Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    sign me up please yes.

Greeper on
  • SpeedySwafSpeedySwaf Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    !sign up

SpeedySwaf on
  • Manning'sEquationManning'sEquation Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    !sign up

Manning'sEquation on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Just a reminder, the signups close soon.

Fencingsax on
  • Fuzzy Cumulonimbus CloudFuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    !Signos Uppus!

Fuzzy Cumulonimbus Cloud on
  • cheezcheez Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Oh hey, I just figured I'd pop over to D&D to see what the Phalla status was here. Looks like I'm just in time!

Stab up!

cheez on
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    fapfapfapfapfap

er

wait..no.

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Look Out it's Sabs!Look Out it's Sabs! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    fapfapfapfapfap

er

wait..no.

Who said for you to stop?

Look Out it's Sabs! on
    NNID: Sabuiy
    3DS: 2852-6809-9411
  • DasUberEdwardDasUberEdward Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    i'm sorry daddy

DasUberEdward on
    steam_sig.png
  • Minor SecondMinor Second Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fuck it

Sign me up!

Minor Second on
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    <gasp> Minor Second is my new favorite person.

The name, the avatar, the description, the location.... <3<3<3

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tramp

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Hi I'm Vee!Hi I'm Vee! Formerly VH; She/Her; Is an E X P E R I E N C E Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Music geeks > comic book geeks

Hi I'm Vee! on
    vRyue2p.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ShutupShutupShutup

Fencingsax on
  • OboroOboro __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    JOIN THIS MAN'S GAME

HE HAS A GODDAMN GUN

Oboro on
    words
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    !sign up

M.D. on
  • giltanisgiltanis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So we start tomorrow come rain or shine?

giltanis on
    sig.gif
  • duallainduallain Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    As long as it is totally cool that I'm 100% new at this Phalla thing I:

!signup

duallain on
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    !sign up

El Skid on
  • DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited April 2008
    !sign up

Unknown User on
  • SerpentSerpent Sometimes Vancouver, BC, sometimes Brisbane, QLDRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I havne't played in a bit..

!sign up

... too late?

Serpent on
    edited April 2008
    no, not too late

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2008
    robothero wrote: »
    !sign up
    totally rippin' you

Oboro on
    words
  • M.D.M.D. and then what happens? Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    So, one more and we get info today start tomorrow or all that stuff tomorrow?

M.D. on
    edited April 2008
    Big post will be up tomorrow evening

Fencingsax on
  • GumpyGumpy There is always a greater powerRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    !signup

this has me interested

No reveals?

Can I ask for more details here. No revealing who you are in PMs as well? Just game thread? No revealing what side you are on (Evil/good)? and even if there is backstory to such a rule existing :3

Gumpy on
    edited April 2008
    Gumpy wrote: »
    !signup

this has me interested

No reveals?

Can I ask for more details here. No revealing who you are in PMs as well? Just game thread? No revealing what side you are on (Evil/good)? and even if there is backstory to such a rule existing :3
    My last phalla, people revealed what faction they were, which was kind of against the point of the godsdamned fucking game. You aren't supposed to publicly say who you are, because 1) No one will believe you if your innocent anyways, and 2) that's not how the game is to be played. You can create cadres and whatnot, just nothing in the thread.

Fencingsax on
  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    !signup

this has me interested

No reveals?

My last phalla, people revealed what faction they were, which was kind of against the point of the godsdamned fucking game. You aren't supposed to publicly say who you are, because 1) No one will believe you if your innocent anyways, and 2) that's not how the game is to be played. You can create cadres and whatnot, just nothing in the thread.

While I understand your frustration, isn't deception part of the game? I mean, there's an inherent risk to revealing your role. If you say you're the seer, and you actually are the seer, then the bad guys will kill you (or at least try). If you're a bad guy, and you get targeted by the seer, how else can you defend yourself without trying to claim a different role to the thread?

I'm not sure I understand how we can expect there to be any "gaming" if people aren't allowed to claim roles for themselves, whether true or false.

Romantic Undead on
    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
    edited April 2008
    !signup

this has me interested

No reveals?

While I understand your frustration, isn't deception part of the game? I mean, there's an inherent risk to revealing your role. If you say you're the seer, and you actually are the seer, then the bad guys will kill you (or at least try). If you're a bad guy, and you get targeted by the seer, how else can you defend yourself without trying to claim a different role to the thread?

I'm not sure I understand how we can expect there to be any "gaming" if people aren't allowed to claim roles for themselves, whether true or false.
    I'm just bitter because people fucked up my game. Granted, I hadn't ironed out all the bugs, but it was essentially the most ambitious Phalla to date, I had never run one, and between my newbishness and screwups, assholes breaking the game didn't help. (they weren't strategic reveals, they were more "Well, I'm this faction, so what the fuck does that mean?", when if they read the flavor text, they would have gotten it.)

Fencingsax on
    edited April 2008
    !signup

this has me interested

No reveals?

I'm just bitter because people fucked up my game. Granted, I hadn't ironed out all the bugs, but it was essentially the most ambitious Phalla to date, I had never run one, and between my newbishness and screwups, assholes breaking the game didn't help. (they weren't strategic reveals, they were more "Well, I'm this faction, so what the fuck does that mean?", when if they read the flavor text, they would have gotten it.)

Ok, so can you clarify for us what exactly constitutes an inappropriate reveal (and perhaps add that to the OP)? For instance, if I get seered as Jack the Ripper, how can I reasonably be expected to defend myself?

Romantic Undead on
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    !vote Romantic Undead

Just to be safe. :P

chamberlain on
    edited April 2008
    !vote Romantic Undead

Just to be safe. :P

So mean.

Romantic Undead on
    edited April 2008
    I think the general rule for when a reveal doesn't break the game is that it's only appropriate when 1) your role has become public knowledge, and 2) you are in the process of being voted out of the game.

When that happens, if you're the Jack the Ripper, you're pretty much expected to start talking in morose period language and threatening people with vengeance from beyond the grave. However, even in that situation, it's absolutely verboten to turn around and say, "Well, I'm going to die anyway, might as well sell out my teammates!"

If you've been essentially revealed and are about to die to some public mechanic, then I think it's fine to reveal your own identity ... just so long as you're already on death row. This is just my own take on it though, and Fencing is free to overrule or disagree. <3

Oboro on
    words
  • El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    LOL. I just had a funny vision of how this game could end up going:

Round 1:

Me: RU is a good guy
    RU: Skid is a good guy!
    Gumpy: Chamberlain is a bad guy!
    Chamberlain: Gumpy is a bad guy!
    Hey guys, why is fencingsax's account deleted?

:P

El Skid on
    edited April 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    I think the general rule for when a reveal doesn't break the game is that it's only appropriate when 1) your role has become public knowledge, and 2) you are in the process of being voted out of the game.

When that happens, if you're the Jack the Ripper, you're pretty much expected to start talking in morose period language and threatening people with vengeance from beyond the grave. However, even in that situation, it's absolutely verboten to turn around and say, "Well, I'm going to die anyway, might as well sell out my teammates!"

If you've been essentially revealed and are about to die to some public mechanic, then I think it's fine to reveal your own identity ... just so long as you're already on death row. This is just my own take on it though, and Fencing is free to overrule or disagree. <3

Selling out your teamates is absolutely poor form and I would certainly expect that kind of behaviour to be curttailed. That being said, part of the game is for the bad guys to sow confusion and discord so that the village turns on itself, and that, sometimes, can be accomplished by bad guys claiming to be something they're not, in order to get a hapless villager to trust them or what have you.

Mafia games are all about deception and misdirection. If you take away that ability (i.e. you can't make any type of claim outside of your vote) then you're setting yourself up for nothing more than a long series of guessing games, taking out the strategy.

Sorry if I'm overanalysing this, I just want to make sure I understand what Sax's intentions are, is all. I mean, if I start to speculate about what kind of roles exist and start making spurious claims about the roles of other people, am I playing against the "spirit of the game"?

Romantic Undead on
    edited April 2008
    I dun think it's anything that strategic. The last game sort of really was just a trainwreck. At the first sign of accusation, people would say, "Wait, but my PM says I'm <BLANK>. What does that even mean?"

We lost about six days of activity in a row because, for whatever strange reason, people just revealed themselves as baddies. Like -- there wasn't any strategic reasoning. Just people that didn't quite understand the rules, and instead of taking it to PMs with Fencing, posted in the thread that they were an evil stonecutter and whom they were cut in with. e_e

Oboro on
    words
  • tuxkamentuxkamen really took this picture. Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    You can 'reveal' whatever you want about yourself. The question is whether doing so will hurt your team or not. If it does, you shouldn't.

Good: 'Well, okay, I'm so-and-so, but I can protect people (may or may not be true)! Don't vote me off!'

Bad: 'So, who else is so-and-so?' 'Me.' 'I am!' 'If being a so-and-so is wrong, I don't wanna be right.'
    (And then the team is annihilated.)

tuxkamen on

Games: Ad Astra Per Phalla | Choose Your Own Phalla
    Thus, the others all die before tuxkamen dies to the vote. Hence, tuxkamen survives, village victory.
    3DS: 2406-5451-5770
    edited April 2008
    Oboro wrote: »
    I dun think it's anything that strategic. The last game sort of really was just a trainwreck. At the first sign of accusation, people would say, "Wait, but my PM says I'm <BLANK>. What does that even mean?"

We lost about six days of activity in a row because, for whatever strange reason, people just revealed themselves as baddies. Like -- there wasn't any strategic reasoning. Just people that didn't quite understand the rules, and instead of taking it to PMs with Fencing, posted in the thread that they were an evil stonecutter and whom they were cut in with. e_e

Well I wasn't there for that, so that sounds just ridiculous. I think the rule should be amended to say "no discussion of your role PM in the thread. If you have any questions, PM the GM directly."

So basically what you're saying is that there were people in the last game who were just poor sports. Banning that kind of behaviour I can certainly get behind.

Romantic Undead on
    edited April 2008
    haha it's funny because "if being a so-and-so is wrong, I don't want to be right" was something actually uttered last game

and then people threw a shit-fit when that person was, expectedly, voted off

WHAT THE FULMINATE, PEOPLE

Oboro on
    words
  • TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Tux, you need to pop over to CF more often.

<3

TehSpectre on
    9u72nmv0y64e.jpg