As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Connection was reset.

2»

• Loren MichaelLoren Michael Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Satan. wrote: »
    Yeah, it's still happening. Srill try the solutions, they still don't work. This has only come about after the forum move/switch/whatever, too. Given the number of people it's affecting, I'm not sure how it works out that it's not something with the forums.

Aren't you in god's blind spot (aka China)?

Yeah, but I don't think the rest of these people are, and the symptoms of my problem are exactly the same. I'm resorting to stopping the page load to post most of the time. Cookie dumping doesn't seem to have any really noticeable effect, etcetera. And this problem has been present only since the forum move a couple of weeks ago or whatever. And of course, it's only this board.

ISP: Communists!
    XP pro SP2
    Firefox 2.0.0.13
    It's happening now more frequently than ever. Like, one in three times. Sometimes two in three or so. Sometimes it seems like nine out of ten times, and I have to practically spam the reload.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm noticing a disturbing trend.
    XP Pro SP2 + Firefox 2.0.0.13 + Forums = Death
    I'll see what I can do to reproduce it

Älphämönkëy on
  • AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I have XP pro with SP2 and the latest firefox, constantly getting problems at home. At University, I get only the occasional connection reset (may depend a bit on the speed the forums load?).

Aegeri on
    The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I use XP Pro 2 both at work and home. I use FF3b5 at work and FF 2.0.0.13 at home and have no issues. My ISP at home is Comcast.

ASimPerson on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited April 2008
    ASimPerson wrote: »
    I use XP Pro 2 both at work and home. I use FF3b5 at work and FF 2.0.0.13 at home and have no issues. My ISP at home is Comcast.

exact same answer here, except that my ISP is RoadRunner.

Ramius on
  • SpeakeasySpeakeasy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    And it's not when you click a link and you wait for a bit and it shows the error. For me, it loads some of the page and suddenly Connection was Reset.

I can try to make a video of it, if you guys want.

Speakeasy on
    smokeco3.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Windows XP Pro SP2
    Firefox 2.0.0.2
    ISP is Netzero (yes dialup)

For me this happens seemingly random. As was noted above, it happens after a page is finished loading. I just noticed though that before it happens, the page seems to start loading something else, with "waiting for" and "connecting to" messages alternating a couple times every second before the reset message comes up.

Henroid on
  • RedMageDarionRedMageDarion Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I seem to be having a similar issue.

Windows XP SP2
    Internet Explorer 6
    ISP is RoadRunner

I randomly get "Page cannot be displayed" errors. Like, it starts loading a page (I even sometimes scroll a bit) and then it just kicks me out. Refreshing once or twice tends to take care of it.

Figured I'd comment since everyone seems to use Firefox, and not many people seem to be using IE.

RedMageDarion on
    Pokemon White - 3954.6369.6328
  • CampionCampion Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    When I was getting them frequently I tried using the other browsers, but it would happen with Opera and IE.
    Opera wouldn't give me a connection reset message, but it would reload the forum, or stop loading, or both. I think that's what it did.

Campion on
    4484-7718-8470
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Ok. Things I need to fix this problem:
    • ISP
    • Operating System
    • Browser(s)
    • How often the problem occurs...

Happens with two different dial-up providers in Thailand, both of which are reliable otherwise.
    Win2k SP4
    Firefox 2.0.0.13, Opera 9.5 beta, threads just stop loading, rarely do I get a 'reset' error.
    All the goddamn time. I had to Ctrl-reload this thread like twenty times to complain.

For some reason, I've not had any issues with IE6 so far.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    I seem to only get connection reset errors on my home (and slower) internet. At university, it's almost completely stopped except for the odd random occasion. At home, when it does cause a connection reset it's because it's taken over a certain amount of time to load a page, I've worked out this is between 30 seconds to around a minute. Perhaps that's what is causing it?

Aegeri on
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ISP: Verizon, I'm pretty sure.
    Browser: FF 2.0.0.13
    Frequency: Rather often. Every three pages, generally.

Oh hey. This isn't similar to everyone else's report at ALL.

MechMantis on
  • RamiusRamius Joined: July 19, 2000 Administrator, ClubPA admin
    edited April 2008
    I don't have the exact numbers handy, but something like 70% of the forum uses WindowsXP and Firefox2, so I wouldn't read too much into that.

Ramius on
  • The Black HunterThe Black Hunter The key is a minimum of compromise, and a simple, unimpeachable reason to existRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I randomly get "Page cannot be displayed" errors. Like, it starts loading a page (I even sometimes scroll a bit) and then it just kicks me out. Refreshing once or twice tends to take care of it.

This is happening to me

Oh well

The Black Hunter on
  • WoodroezWoodroez Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    • ISP
    • Operating System
    • Browser(s)

Here's a couple for you...

At home, it happens all the time. Like, I have to stop loading a page just to makes sure it doesn't disappear altogether.

-Socket ( dial-up :( )
    -Windows 98
    -Firefox...can't nail down the version number right now.
    -Like I said, very, very often. When just viewing a board or at the main Penny Arcade Forums page, it's actually pretty infrequent. Get in a thread, though, and it almost always does it. I can't let it load enough to see the bottom posts on the page before it resets.

At work, it's very rare, but it happens once in a while.

-don't know the ISP, All I can tell you is that it's fast.
    -Windows XP
    -Firefox 2.0.0.13
    -Pretty rare. At least twice it's done it tonight when I try to submit a post. One was a quick replay, one wasn't.

EDIT: and there it went again. refreshing makes the post.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • Blake TBlake T Do you have enemies then? Good. That means you’ve stood up for something, sometime in your life.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Aegeri wrote: »
    I seem to only get connection reset errors on my home (and slower) internet. At university, it's almost completely stopped except for the odd random occasion. At home, when it does cause a connection reset it's because it's taken over a certain amount of time to load a page, I've worked out this is between 30 seconds to around a minute. Perhaps that's what is causing it?

This. Except for the 30 seconds to a minute thing, sometimes it will just happen instantaneously

When I first made the topic I was running on capped speeds with FF and Vista. Once I got off the cap the problem dissapeared.

Blake T on
  • BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    • ISP
    • Operating System
    • Browser(s)
    • Embarq
    • Ubuntu 8.04
    • Firefox 3.0b5 and Konqueror 4.0.3
    • Two or three times per day, usually around or shortly after noon (EST).

When it happens the error comes up instantly, but other tabs that I'm loading threads in stall for a brief time before the page finishes loading. I'll check my router's logs the next time it happens, but I didn't notice anything other than the routine DHCP renewal from my ISP.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
    edited April 2008
    I suppose it's worth mentioning that I've stopped images from loading automatically at home, so now the pages load pretty quickly, but as soon as they get to the Quick Reply section it resets before QR can load.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
  • StarfuckStarfuck Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Charter Cable
    Windows XP SP2 all updates
    FF 2.0.0.13
    All the damn time

Starfuck on
    jackfaces
    "If you're going to play tiddly winks, play it with man hole covers."
    - John McCallum
  • ÄlphämönkëyÄlphämönkëy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I made a fix to the load balancer to see if that might help.

Let me know if this fixes the problem. I have the feeling we might need to play a few games like this before we actually get it right.

Älphämönkëy on
    edited April 2008

Let me know if this fixes the problem. I have the feeling we might need to play a few games like this before we actually get it right.

Nope.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm going to start linking to whatever pages on the forum give me this nonsense, just in case we can identify something about them that's making it happen. I'll just edit them into this post to not clutter things up.

Henroid on
    edited April 2008

Nope.

On a slower connection right now, and it's absolute hell.

This is the 7th time I have attempted to maek poast.

EDIT: What do you know, double post.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited April 2008
    i've read several threads now at home without an issue, which certainly is more than I could say yesterday.

EDIT: and quick reply worked fine as well.

EDIT2: I suppose it's worth noting that I've cleared private data on the browser in the past day. Don't honestly think it had anything to do with this, but those of you that are still having issues might consider it just because it won't hurt anything either way.

Woodroez on
    858213-butcher-2.jpg
    edited April 2008
    So, while I haven't been browsing the forum as much as I usually do, I haven't gotten any problems from this. I'm still just kinda wary of it though. <.<

Henroid on
  • yotesyotes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm not sure if I'm only imagining this, but it's become less horrible now. It happens more all the time if I try to load multiple threads in tabs at once, but not so much if I load threads one at a time, very carefully.

yotes on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited April 2008
    I've not had a single connection reset in the past day and a half. I also have my own internet (no longer sharing) and my ISP is xtra now. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with it.

Aegeri on
    edited April 2008
    Well I finally got this again, in this thread.

And in this very thread for reporting it as well.

Henroid on
    edited April 2008
    I get it at home now (and horribly, HORRIBLY so), but so far, not much of a hitch at the coffee shop I go to, which is where I am now.

The coffee shop has, I think a VPN or something, and some kind of sick (read: awesome) connection, because I can download some podcasts that China otherwise would not let me have. This is the same connection that I had all the problems with before though, so maybe it's fixed here...?

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
    edited April 2008
    I just wanted to note something, and I'm not entirely sure if it is related but...

The resets I noted earlier started happening when I had a URL on my clipboard (copy paste) for this forum. I replaced it with something else shortly after, and it stopped happening.

I'm just throwing out wild voodoo ideas out here, but is it possible that the site is grabbing at our clipboards?

Henroid on
    edited April 2008
    Oh, it's still happening to me I guess. Just nowhere near as much.

...yet.

>.>

Oh, and I'm only showing ten posts per page at the moment, which didn't help at all at home, but maybe it's helping at the coffee shop. I'll go back to 25 and see what's up.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm not getting it at all on my Linux box, which I am currently posting from.

Perhaps it's Windows related?

MechMantis on
  • Mr_RoseMr_Rose 83 Blue Ridge Protects the Holy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I don't know if this is related to connection resets, but something weird has been happening lately; incomplete page loads. Occasionally, when I open a thread, the page will load right up to some arbitrary random point, sometimes in the middle of a post, and just stop there, with no error message of any kind.

If it helps any, I'm on Virgin Media, using XP SP2 and FF 2.0.0.13
    This only seems to happen about once every other day though, and I've only ever gotten one or two "connection reset" error screens.

Mr_Rose on
    ...because dragons are AWESOME! That's why.
    Nintendo Network ID: AzraelRose
    DropBox invite link - get 500MB extra free.
    edited April 2008
    All the time right now. Have to play games with spamming reload to get anywhere at all.

Loren Michael on
    a7iea7nzewtq.jpg
  • codetrapcodetrap Registered User regular
    edited June 2008
    Check your system logs to see if you're getting the dreaded <<EventID 4226: TCP/IP has reached the security limit imposed on the number of concurrent TCP connect attempts>>.. if you are, google it, and follow the instructions to fix it.

codetrap on
    < insert witty comment here>