As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Democratic Primaries: Pennsylvania, key hellhole state

• Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hachface wrote: »
    kildy wrote: »
    http://www.reuters.com/article/politicsNews/idUSN2330234120080423

I'm curious how much this whole McCain vs The GOP Attack Machine will play. I would love to see a clean campaign on issues for once, but there are so many ways for dipshits to try and stay relevant by attacking randomly.

Stuff like this is why I think beating McCain is going to be a piece of cake compared to Hillary.

It's sad to see people fall for One Of The Oldest Rhetorical Tricks In The Book. (Fuck, it was old when Cicero used it.) Yes, it's so noble for McCain to push for the ad to be pulled now - but the damage is already done. The argument is out in the public mind. End result - Obama gets slimed, and McCain gets to look gracious.

Why the fuck do you think the GOP is building their strategy around 527s?

You could say that same thing about Obama's pledge for a clean campaign. Or any politician's. I wouldn't be surprised that, giving McCain's experience in 2000, he has an antipathy towards Rovian campaigning.

Hachface on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I'm curious how much this whole McCain vs The GOP Attack Machine will play. I would love to see a clean campaign on issues for once, but there are so many ways for dipshits to try and stay relevant by attacking randomly.

Stuff like this is why I think beating McCain is going to be a piece of cake compared to Hillary.

It's sad to see people fall for One Of The Oldest Rhetorical Tricks In The Book. (Fuck, it was old when Cicero used it.) Yes, it's so noble for McCain to push for the ad to be pulled now - but the damage is already done. The argument is out in the public mind. End result - Obama gets slimed, and McCain gets to look gracious.

You could say that same thing about Obama's pledge for a clean campaign. Or any politician's. I wouldn't be surprised that, giving McCain's experience in 2000, that he has an antipathy towards Rovian campaigning.

His campaign is taking advice from Karl Rove after he publicly endorsed McCain. Potentially earlier than that. Don't think he's technically 'on staff' though.

moniker on
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

You could say that same thing about Obama's pledge for a clean campaign. Or any politician's. I wouldn't be surprised that, giving McCain's experience in 2000, that he has an antipathy towards Rovian campaigning.
    I also wouldn't be surprised that--given his turnaround on just about every other issue--he's got much less of a problem now that the Republican attack machine is on his side.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It bugs me that every article about a McCain quote starts with "On his campaign bus"

Dudes having a 24/7 press conference in that thing. He's way too cozy with the media it's a little scary.

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    HachfaceHachface Not the Minister Farrakhan you're thinking of Dammit, Shepard!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It bugs me that every article about a McCain quote starts with "On his campaign bus"

Dudes having a 24/7 press conference in that thing. He's way too cozy with the media it's a little scary.

The media are definitely enamored with him.

Hachface on
  • Options
    monikermoniker Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Well, that or they're too cozy with his bus. Does he have a massage parlor on that thing or something?

moniker on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    moniker wrote: »

Well, that or they're too cozy with his bus. Does he have a massage parlor on that thing or something?

What happens on McCain's campaign bus stays on McCain's campaign bus. Well, except for the press conferences, of course.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    I don't know why I found myself defending McCain's character back there. He's a totally despicable human being.

Hachface on
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    He's just a lot fucking sneakier than we gave him credit for

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Thanatos wrote: »
    Savant wrote: »
    I don't see how it is at all likely that it will go to the convention. The remaining contests will be split plus or minus maybe 20 delegates. Whatever the case he will have an over 100 pledged delegate lead over Hillary, and that will be that. That's too much to bullshit out of. Most likely the supers will end it sometime in May, at latest when Obama takes about half of the total pledged delegates.

Only way for Hillary to win is in the event of a catastrophe. Unfortunately, she's been trying to make one as of late.
    I think Hillary is holding out hope that the supers will overturn the pledged delegates/popular vote.

I'm hoping they don't, but the Democratic party has been known to be retarded in the past.

She might be going for the "the will of the voters must be heard!" strategy to stay in the race and to pick up as many delegates from Michigan and Florida as possible, and then switch to the "the superdelegates should overturn the will of the voters and vote for me instead" strategy at the convention, but I kind of doubt this is going to happen. I think Hillary will drop out soon, once Obama has trounced her in a few more contests. Maybe Clinton will even take it to the last contest, but I don't think she'll take it all the way to the convention. She can't drop out now, having just won a large state.

I think she knows she can't win. I think she's known that for a while and I think that, if she drops out gracefully and at the right moment, she can gain a lot of political goodwill. I hope this is her plan.

Marty81 on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Brian --

Last night, Senator Clinton used up her last, best chance to cut appreciably into Barack Obama's elected delegate lead.

She came up short.

In fact, she barely made a dent. At most, she picked up a net gain of 12 delegates -- less than our gain, for example, in Colorado (where we gained 17) or Kansas (where we gained 14). Her gain in Pennsylvania was less than half of our gain in Virginia, where we added to our lead by 25 delegates.

But there is one measure by which her campaign's gains are real.

The Clinton campaign claims they've raised $3.5 million dollars since the polls closed yesterday.

We can't afford to let that go unanswered.

Your support allowed us to come this far, and we need your help to finish this. Please make a donation of $25 today to support this campaign:

https://donate.barackobama.com/thefacts

Your grassroots support has brought the Democratic nomination in our sights.

Here's how it breaks out:
    After Pennsylvania, we have a lead of at least 159 elected delegates earned through all of the primaries and caucuses so far. We have a total of at least 1493 pledged delegates.

Meanwhile, we've been rapidly gaining ground among the so-called superdelegates (elected leaders and party officials who get a vote to choose our nominee), cutting Senator Clinton's lead from more than 100 early this year to less than 25. We have a total of 238 publicly committed superdelegates.

The total number of delegates needed to secure the nomination is 2,024. That means we are only 293 delegates away from securing the nomination.

In less than two weeks, we'll square off in the key battleground states of North Carolina and Indiana, when there will be as many delegates at stake as there were last night in Pennsylvania.

To grow our significant lead and close out this race, we must remain competitive in these contests and the 7 others that will follow.

Barack needs your support again right now to finish this race:

Pennsylvania was considered a state tailor-made for Senator Clinton -- she was always expected to win, and we trailed by as much as 25 points in the weeks leading up to the election.

But thanks to you, Barack gained support among key voters in the face of long odds and unrelenting negativity from Senator Clinton, and kept the margin close enough that her delegate gain was insignificant.

Indeed, the only surprising result from Pennsylvania is how much Barack was able to improve his standing among key voter groups since the Ohio primary.

Among white voters, Obama narrowed the gap by 6 points. Among voters over 60, he nearly cut the gap in half, from 41 points to 24 points. Meanwhile, we continued to run strong where we have all along -- for example, winning voters ages 18-24 with over 65% of the vote.

Barack campaigned hard in Pennsylvania. He talked about his plans to stand up to the special interests and bring people together so that we can change Washington to turn our economy around, make sure that every American has quality health care, and bring this misguided war to an end.

An additional donation of $25 can make sure we grow our lead and finish this race in the final 9 contests:

Thank you for all your support,

David

David Plouffe
    Campaign Manager
    Obama for America

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I'm down to donate at least another $25 to $50, for great victory. Also, because wiping smug smiles off of the faces of Clinton supporters would make my day.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

He probably uses the bus for a psychological advantage over the reporters. It's his bus, his space, he's way more comfortable there than the reporters are.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

He probably uses the bus for a psychological advantage over the reporters. It's his bus, his space, he's way more comfortable there than the reporters are.

It's like Air Force One but for losers.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I love the campaign emails. A breath of fresh air and perspective that no one else is willing to take. Everyone calls it "spin" of course, because heaven forbid you put something in context and look at it objectively.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    DarkCrawlerDarkCrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I wish I was an U.S. citizen so I could donate for Obama.

DarkCrawler on
  • Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Marty81 wrote: »
    I don't see how it is at all likely that it will go to the convention. The remaining contests will be split plus or minus maybe 20 delegates. Whatever the case he will have an over 100 pledged delegate lead over Hillary, and that will be that. That's too much to bullshit out of. Most likely the supers will end it sometime in May, at latest when Obama takes about half of the total pledged delegates.

Only way for Hillary to win is in the event of a catastrophe. Unfortunately, she's been trying to make one as of late.
    I think Hillary is holding out hope that the supers will overturn the pledged delegates/popular vote.

I'm hoping they don't, but the Democratic party has been known to be retarded in the past.

She might be going for the "the will of the voters must be heard!" strategy to stay in the race and to pick up as many delegates from Michigan and Florida as possible, and then switch to the "the superdelegates should overturn the will of the voters and vote for me instead" strategy at the convention, but I kind of doubt this is going to happen. I think Hillary will drop out soon, once Obama has trounced her in a few more contests. Maybe Clinton will even take it to the last contest, but I don't think she'll take it all the way to the convention. She can't drop out now, having just won a large state.

I think she knows she can't win. I think she's known that for a while and I think that, if she drops out gracefully and at the right moment, she can gain a lot of political goodwill. I hope this is her plan.

My issue with this is she's still throwing punches. You don't plan on dropping out as soon as there's a good opening and still try and shiv the other dude while you wait.

kildy on
  • Options
    Willy-Bob GracchusWilly-Bob Gracchus Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Can a non-resident US-citizen donate?

Willy-Bob Gracchus on
  • Options
    TheMarshalTheMarshal Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

When I donated this morning there was a link you could follow on the donation page if you were a U.S. citizen outside of the country.

TheMarshal on
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

I haven't checked, but I would be highly surprised if you weren't able to.

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    TaximesTaximes Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    God damn, the media has been intolerable after this.

"So, Clinton won Pennsylvania. Should Obama drop out?"
    "Actually, if Clinton repeated her victory in Pennsylvania and won by 10% in every remaining primary, she still wouldn't catch up in delegates, even if half of the undecided superdelegates went to her."*
    "Right. So, should Obama drop out? He's pretty much done for."
    *If she wins all 9 remaining primaries by 10% and gets 50% of the undecided supers, the final delegates will be 1984 Clinton and 2037 Obama

Taximes on
  • Options
    Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited April 2008

Yes.

Hell, non-resident US citizens can vote in the primaries. And probably in the general as well.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Options
    RaggaholicRaggaholic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Taximes wrote: »
    *If she wins all 9 remaining primaries by 10% and gets 50% of the undecided supers, the final delegates will be 1984 Clinton and 2037 Obama
    What's the magic number? 2021?

Raggaholic on
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Raggaholic wrote: »
    What's the magic number? 2021?

2024, but it shifts as Congresscritters die or resign in disgrace or resign while the lobbyist employment and multimillion dollar salaries are still legal.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    Marty81Marty81 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

My issue with this is she's still throwing punches. You don't plan on dropping out as soon as there's a good opening and still try and shiv the other dude while you wait.

She has this image of a "fighter" to maintain :|

Marty81 on
  • Options
    RoanthRoanth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

"Actually, if Clinton repeated her victory in Pennsylvania and won by 10% in every remaining primary, she still wouldn't catch up in delegates, even if half of the undecided superdelegates went to her."*

It's down to a 9.2% win according to the official PA page, with 99.51% reporting.

http://www.electionreturns.state.pa.us/

Roanth on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    And yeah, John McCain is obviously going for the "oh, I had no idea people who support me would unleash such despicable advertisements" strategy.

At which the point the media will 1) laud John McCain for being such an awesome guy and 2) show the advertisement for free on national television so we know what he's talking about.

This is exactly the Swift Boat strategy.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    Roanth wrote: »

It's down to a 9.2% win according to the official PA page, with 99.51% reporting.

The media will still call it a 10-pt win because it makes a better story.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

She has this image of a "fighter" to maintain :|

I think even Muhammad Ali could tell you that if you can't see, you've got one tooth left, you're bleeding on the mat, and you keep taunting the post to throw a punch, you should probably make a graceful forfeit.

The Muffin Man on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Roanth wrote: »

The media will still call it a 10-pt win because it makes a better story.

Hillary punching out a dragon on the steps of Philly would make an awesome story.

Shit... now it's out there. Expect to see that on CNN before tomorrow.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DevoutlyApatheticDevoutlyApathetic Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Hillary punching out a dragon on the steps of Philly would make an awesome story.

Dude, you're right. Obama is totally the great beast named Dragon who's number is 666. Quick, to the CNN machine!

DevoutlyApathetic on
    Nod. Get treat. PSN: Quippish
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Dude, you're right. Obama is totally the great beast named Dragon who's number is 666. Quick, to the CNN machine!

Curse these typing hands!

THEY'RE DOING IT AGAIN!

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    To Draco for later: Calvin rarely wins at Calvinball, Hobbes usually ends up coming up with a situation to embarrass him. The one time he plays with another human, Rosalyn, she ends up abusing the rules to force him to go to bed on time.

Calvin is not very good at Calvinball.

For the rest of you, I'm referring to the diary he wrote here, which is otherwise quite good.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hmmmm....

29 North Carolina Legislators Endorse Barack Obama

So how many of those are supers? I doubt very many (or any) or else they probably would have made a bigger deal about it.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Hmmmm....

So how many of those are supers? I doubt very many (or any) or else they probably would have made a bigger deal about it.

None.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Not sure, but I did find two supers that did make up their minds. It's a split:

FOR CLINTON: Rep. John Tanner, Tennessee.
    FOR OBAMA: Gov. Brad Henry, Oklahoma. (Obama also got a chunk of Edwards' former posse, including his chairman, Ed Turlington.)

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    Fleck0Fleck0 Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Hmmmm....

I heard Obama was going to be rolling out some supers in NC and IN to take attention away from Hil's Pennsylvania win

Fleck0 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2008
    If she wins all 9 remaining primaries by 10% and gets 50% of the undecided supers, the final delegates will be 1984 Clinton and 2037 Obama
    Wait a minute...

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2008
    Fleck0 wrote: »
    Hmmmm....

I heard Obama was going to be rolling out some supers in NC and IN to take attention away from Hil's Pennsylvania win

Cool, they can have a party with the 50 supers who announced their support for Obama after Super Tuesday and the gaggle who announced their support last night after PA.

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Man, drac's poll in that diary was great

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
This discussion has been closed.