As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat]las Shrugged

• Options
    HaphazardHaphazard Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Haphazard wrote: »
    Aegis wrote: »
    Quid wrote: »
    Today in the tipping thread: Quid gonna stab a bitch.

Make sure you leave a tip afterwards.

Stab a bitch with your tip!

Hrmm...

I read that as Sab a bitch and then wondered how exactly that would work.

Only you can tell and if you can't... well, I got nothing.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Podly wrote: »
    I think tipping threads and dating threads reveal the rampant asperger's in PA.

I think the tipping thing (and this ties into the objectivism threads) is less about aspergers and more about being selfish.

Maybe if Poldy was a little more selfish he'd be able to eat, and wouldn't look like a smack head with TB.

Leitner on
  • Options
    SenjutsuSenjutsu thot enthusiast Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    This new theme was brought about by the Mandated Altruism/Objectivty threads, wasn't it?

Yup. And now the forum will be overrun with randroids

reap what you sow, whiners

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Today in the tipping thread: Quid gonna stab a bitch.

Make sure you leave a tip afterwards.

Stab a bitch with your tip!

Hrmm...

Haps likes to play "just the tip"!

Wrong, Irene. I don't play, I'm all grown up... :winky:
    I'm a terrible liar, forgive me.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Elki wrote: »
    Elki wrote: »
    I was doing that thing where you try to catch it before it hits the ground, you see.

What, with your teeth?

I think a better story would have been that you reached for it but ended up grabbing her thigh or something.

I did a sitting dive. You know, when you lean out of your chair left/right while still sitting. What, did you want me to catch without moving, just with my arm, like some movie ninja dude? I'm not a movie ninja dude, buddy.

How high are your damn chairs where you had the room to bend so far as to mack ass contact before your hand hit the ground. Or were you diving ahead like Superman?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Like, there have been times when I've been selfish and not tipped well because I was low on cash. If I was low on cash, I shouldn't probably have been dining out, and I recognize the selfishness of it.

To not even recognize the social structures, and think that your individual selfishness will have an effect, is pretty fucked up.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    Andrew_JayAndrew_Jay Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Senjutsu wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    There are only so many possible [chat] themes anyway.
    Surely you're [chat]king.
    Surely your [chat]ing. [chat]king is just horrible.
    [chat][chat][chat][chat][chat]? [chat][chat][chat]! [chat] "[chat][chat][chat]", [chat].

Ugh, studying not going so well . . .

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Now I'm trying to visualize all these different descriptions of Elki's dive and they're getting more hilarious as time goes on.

Edit: What course Andrew?

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    Grey GhostGrey Ghost Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Well played, Senj.

Grey Ghost on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Andrew_Jay wrote: »
    Grey Ghost wrote: »
    There are only so many possible [chat] themes anyway.
    Surely you're [chat]king.
    Surely your [chat]ing. [chat]king is just horrible.
    [chat][chat][chat][chat][chat]? [chat][chat][chat]! [chat] "[chat][chat][chat]", [chat].

Ugh, studying not going so well . . .

I'm not your [chat], guy.

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fine. New theme.

Nooo! Change it back!

But really, don't be a pussy. Since when have you buckled to peer pressure. Do you want your crown royale now, Mrs. Clinton?

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2008

But the doctor told me I'm not infectious!

Echo on
  • Options
    wazillawazilla Having a late dinner Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Like, there have been times when I've been selfish and not tipped well because I was low on cash. If I was low on cash, I shouldn't probably have been dining out, and I recognize the selfishness of it.

To not even recognize the social structures, and think that your individual selfishness will have an effect, is pretty fucked up.

And Rand? Fuck that noise. Autism all around.

wazilla on
    Psn:wazukki
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008

shhh!

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Now I'm trying to visualize all these different descriptions of Elki's dive and they're getting more hilarious as time goes on.

Constitutional law. I just realised I haven't really paid any attention to the cases, though I more or less know the rules.

Funny story about tipping. Whenever we leave cash, my girlfriend insists on hiding the bills under the bill - not for security, but because it looks like we left a measly dollar until the server moves it. Drives me nuts. Sure, the server only temporarily hates us for those few seconds, but still.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Oh god, me too.

Funniest one I've got has him moving like Napoleon Dynamite.

*headbutt*

"God! Stupid butt!"
    Really, that was a terrible movie.

JamesKeenan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Fine. New theme.

Nooo! Change it back!

But really, don't be a pussy. Since when have you buckled to peer pressure. Do you want your crown royale now, Mrs. Clinton?

Ahahahahahahha no I will cut you

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Well, I could be wrong, but I think of Aspergers as more a disorder of perception, and thus any social dysfunction arises out of obliviousness. But these people who think they should never have to tip aren't unaware of the reasons for tipping or anything, they just don't care.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The tipping thread was started by Mr. Pink. It all makes sense now!

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    The altruism thread isn't really funny anymore, just sad.

DrSammyD is basically to civics what MadMorlock was to science class.

Andrew_Jay on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Constitutional law. I just realised I haven't really paid any attention to the cases, though I more or less know the rules.

Funny story about tipping. Whenever we leave cash, my girlfriend insists on hiding the bills under the bill - not for security, but because it looks like we left a measly dollar until the server moves it. Drives me nuts. Sure, the server only temporarily hates us for those few seconds, but still.

Ah, neat. Which reminds me that I should probably study for my PoliSci exam on Friday. Ugh, so much pure memorization.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, I love how so many people each tipping thread base service on "refill my drink."

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    IreneDAdlerIreneDAdler Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    The altruism thread isn't really funny anymore, just sad.

DrSammyD is basically to civics what MadMorlock was to science class.

It kinda stopped being funny to me after about a page or two.

IreneDAdler on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2008
    Also, I love how so many people each tipping thread base service on "refill my drink."

Isn't that part of service or do you see that as the domain of a different person in the restaurant?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

man someplaces though you could bean the waiter with your empty glass and the fucker still wouldn't refill the damn thing

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Should someone refill my glass without asking he will get a pretty puzzled glance out of me.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Dynagrip wrote: »

Isn't that part of service or do you see that as the domain of a different person in the restaurant?

No, it is. Water should be done by the bus boy.

Two reasons for it though: a lot of times they mean free refills. That's pretty nasty, and a lot of times managers will hold back their waiters if this is the case.

If not, I always find it funny how essential drink refills are to a nerd's dining experience.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Yeah, I rarely eat out and if I do it'll usually be somewhere where I'll get something much better than what I can cook. Which means that I'm prepared to drop what's a pretty massive tip since as far as I'm concerned I'm blowing cash anyway. Otherwise I generally avoid eating out since I see it as too much of a luxury for me and I know I'll feel bad if I have to give an average tip when I got good service.

Quid on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Yeah, I rarely eat out and if I do it'll usually be somewhere where I'll get something much better than what I can cook. Which means that I'm prepared to drop what's a pretty massive tip since as far as I'm concerned I'm blowing cash anyway. Otherwise I generally avoid eating out since I see it as too much of a luxury for me and I know I'll feel bad if I have to give an average tip when I got good service.

Yeah, many people don't get that eating out is a luxury. You are there to be pampered or impress (like on a date or something.)

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Two reasons for it though: a lot of times they mean free refills. That's pretty nasty, and a lot of times managers will hold back their waiters if this is the case.

If not, I always find it funny how essential drink refills are to a nerd's dining experience.
    I would think that you'd have to have waiting experience to know about that.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    TachTach Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    There's a pulse in the new-born sun;
    A beat in the heat of noon;
    There's a song as the day grows long,
    And a tempo in the tides of the moon.

It's all around us and it's everywhere,
    And it's deeper than Royal blue.
    And it feels so real you can feel the feeling!

And that's The Majesty Of Rock!
    The fantasy of Roll!
    The ticking of the clock,
    The wailing of the soul!
    The prisoner in the dock,
    The digger in the hole,
    We're in this together...and ever...

In the shade of a jungle glade,
    Or the rush of the crushing street,
    On the plain, on the foamy main,
    You can never escape from the beat.

It's in the mud and it's in your blood
    And its conquest is complete.
    And all that you can do is just surrender.

To the Majesty of Rock!
    The Pageantry of Roll!
    The crowing of the cock,
    The running of the foal!
    The shepherd with his flock,
    The miner with his coal,

When we die, do we haunt the sky?
    Do we lurk in the murk of the seas?
    What then? Are we born again?
    Just to sit asking questions like these?

I know, for I told me so,
    And I'm sure each of you quite agrees:
    The more it stays the same, the less it changes!

And that's The Majesty Of Rock!
    The Mystery of Roll!
    The darning of the sock,
    The scoring of the goal!
    The farmer takes a wife
    The barber takes a pole.

Tach on
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    Should someone refill my glass without asking he will get a pretty puzzled glance out of me.

I'd prefer if they ask, but that presupposes they're coming around and asking, and not just avoiding all eye-contact.

The trick is to precariously balance empty glasses on the very edge of the table so that they're pretty much forced to see it, and if they try to ignore it and rush by there's a good chance they'll knock it off

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    Pods don't be elitist, now.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Not really. I work at actual restaurants that don't do gimmicky stuff like waitered-down refills, but I know how restaurants work and I've heard multiple stories about managers being cocks like that.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2008
    MikeMan wrote: »

as well ask a fish not to be wet

Senjutsu on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

Mike it's like your psychic!

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2008

Mike it's like your psychic!

btw i totally owned that tipping thread.

they should just lock it.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    edited April 2008

I'd prefer if they ask, but that presupposes they're coming around and asking, and not just avoiding all eye-contact.

The trick is to precariously balance empty glasses on the very edge of the table so that they're pretty much forced to see it, and if they try to ignore it and rush by there's a good chance they'll knock it off

Heh, a dying art.

Haphazard on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

We like to make precarious mountains of empty glasses and cups.

Of course, this is when the bus boy isn't clearing our empties at the lounge, but the concept is the same.

LaOs on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008

Not really. I work at actual restaurants that don't do gimmicky stuff like waitered-down refills, but I know how restaurants work and I've heard multiple stories about managers being cocks like that.

I'm pretty sure it would not occur to the average person without serving experience that managers may hold back servers for providing free refills when they are not supposed to.

I don't think it's too much for customers, when they know they're at a restaurant that has free refills (which seems to be the norm more and more) to expect that their drink be refilled often... or at least someone to ask if they would like it refilled. And, at the places where refills aren't free, I'm pretty sure that they're requirement of "filling my drink" on their tipping scale would easily be filled by the server just coming by and inquiring about refill desires.

The refill is also the most easily visible measurement for most people of the level of service you're getting--it guages the attention the server is paying your table and can measure the speed with which your needs are being met. I know there's a hell of a lot more to service, but it's hard to fault people for basing their judgement on what they see. I think, instead of mocking people for that attitude you should work towards spreading the knowledge that there's more to service than the refills.

LaOs on
This discussion has been closed.