The holiday hangout will go online tomorrow! If there's anything in the regular subforums that you're going to want to access over the holidays, copy it now while it's still accessible.
Don't like the snow? You can make a bookmark with the following text instead of a url: javascript:snowStorm.toggleSnow(). Clicking it will toggle the snow on and off.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

Comics made by people named Allan (Shirt on page 15)

AllanAllan Registered User
edited April 2009 in Artist's Corner
Hey guys. My name's Allan. Long time PA-reader, first-time poster.

Let's get to it, though.

I make an autobiographical comic called Allan, which is updated daily.

I've got some sample strips I'd like to show you guys if that's cool.

Here's one.

20080414.gif

Here's another.

20080323.gif

I'd love any feedback possible, on the site, on the art, on the writing, whatever sticks out to you guys, I'd love to hear about it.

Thanks!

Allan on
banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
«13456789

Posts

  • ManonvonSuperockManonvonSuperock Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    you need a better visual gimmick. it's wordy and generic looking, i haven't even read it. nothing that is shown makes me want to, there's no draw to it.

  • ShadowMaximusShadowMaximus Registered User
    edited April 2008
    I read some of your comics on your site and I have to say that I really enjoy them. I also like the little animation of Allan walking for the title.

    I never post on here, this is my first time, see what you made me do?

  • AllanAllan Registered User
    edited April 2008
    you need a better visual gimmick. it's wordy and generic looking, i haven't even read it. nothing that is shown makes me want to, there's no draw to it.

    Is this strip more of an incentive?

    20070526.png

    Also Shadow: Thank you! :D

    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • Forbe!Forbe! Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I chuckled at the egg one.

    The coloring certainly helps.

    I'd write a big long post about this, but its late and I'm tired.

  • MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    It's okay, the writing is good but visually it could be better, it's not what i'd say 'too wordy' just 'too cluttered.'
    Certainly has potential though and the first one made me laugh, so it's halfway there.

  • AllanAllan Registered User
    edited April 2008
    Thank you. There's more to that short Pokemon sub-story, the second page's right here (I don't want to clutter anything with images, so I'll just link it).

    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • I Win SwordfightsI Win Swordfights fuck tough be coolRegistered User regular
    edited April 2008
    My favorite is "MOM! The room stopped spinning!"

    I lol'd :lol:

  • The-VThe-V Registered User
    edited April 2008
    autobiographical comics are absurdly addicting. Yours Is no different. The problem is, that your words are the only things that really engage people (beyond your stick figures with big tits) I say you should evolve the people into more expressive representations, as in re-working your facial expressions. A dead-pan facial expression gag can get better reactions then some jokes. ++ Plus OMG izzy wants on you so hard, and you have wanted her for so long, based on how much you draw her, how you draw her, and how you've always written about her. I suggest taking her to the bone-zone ASAP

    Qualm: Your dramas are almost so perfectly represented that they seem scripted, written by a very inventive person, perhaps someone older. Are you actually 17 or whatever, and is this actually an autobiography or an elaborate fake? it actually doesn't matter either way though.

  • icebergiceberg Registered User
    edited April 2008
    My only request is to make them longer and a bit higher quality in regards to lettering and drawing. Not perfect or anything though, keep that dirty, note-like quality to them. I'm in the process of going through them all. You've grabbed me.

  • AllanAllan Registered User
    edited April 2008
    My favorite is "MOM! The room stopped spinning!"

    I lol'd :lol:

    Haha, thank you.
    The-V wrote: »
    autobiographical comics are absurdly addicting. Yours Is no different. The problem is, that your words are the only things that really engage people (beyond your stick figures with big tits) I say you should evolve the people into more expressive representations, as in re-working your facial expressions. A dead-pan facial expression gag can get better reactions then some jokes.

    Thanks for the tips! When I started the strip I wanted to keep it simple, so I wouldn't stop wanting to make it because it would take so long to draw. I've come a long way since then, but I can still produce a quality comic in 15-30 minutes (most of them take longer than that, though).

    As I make more and more strips I've been practicing all kinds of other styles, and in the future, I'm gunna try to change it up for the better.

    One of things I was looking forward to when I started this was to see how the drawings of the characters would progress. They've (the drawings) come a long way from the start, and I'm looking forward to practicing more and more with 'em, and seeing how they turn out in the future.
    The-V wrote: »
    Qualm: Your dramas are almost so perfectly represented that they seem scripted, written by a very inventive person, perhaps someone older. Are you actually 17 or whatever, and is this actually an autobiography or an elaborate fake? it actually doesn't matter either way though.

    I can assure you it's autobiographical. I can't offer any hard evidence (like social security numbers or anything), but in the future I plan on going to Cons and meeting readers (if there are any). I think that will remove a lot of the doubt some people might have.

    Thanks for the compliment on the writing; sometimes the story is twisted JUST a little bit to make it more interesting, but usually it's exactly how I see it.
    iceberg wrote: »
    My only request is to make them longer and a bit higher quality in regards to lettering and drawing. Not perfect or anything though, keep that dirty, note-like quality to them. I'm in the process of going through them all. You've grabbed me.

    First, thank you for being grabbed!

    Second, I will definitely try. I'm going to attempt to make some larger changes somewhere around strip 300, and hopefully I can continue the progress the art every 100 strips or so in noticeable amounts!

    Thanks for reading and checking this out, guys!

    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    I took the time to visit your site this time, and the strip is incredibly charming.
    It exudes honesty, which, in my opinion is it's greatest asset.

    EDIT: Christ, I'm 31 and it feels like I'm back at high school reading this (except now I'm more popular and not completely terrified of females).....the writing really is very good.

    I'm surprised you didn't post these two, I think everyone here could relate to this.

    20070430.gif
    20070501.gif

    EDIT2: Ok I'm hooked, you got me. The strip is a little gem.

  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    That comic is magnificent.

    I'm on day 30 and it's a very charming comic.

    EDIT: "Can't spell funeral without F-U-N"

    0WBv0.png
  • AllanAllan Registered User
    edited April 2008
    Mustang wrote: »
    I took the time to visit your site this time, and the strip is incredibly charming.
    It exudes honesty, which, in my opinion is it's greatest asset.

    EDIT: Christ, I'm 31 and it feels like I'm back at high school reading this (except now I'm more popular and not completely terrified of females).....the writing really is very good.

    I'm surprised you didn't post these two, I think everyone here could relate to this.

    Image
    Image

    EDIT2: Ok I'm hooked, you got me. The strip is a little gem.

    Thank you for the comments and the kind words! And thanks for reading! I'm really happy it's not just a strip for teens in their teens.
    Godfather wrote: »
    That comic is magnificent.

    I'm on day 30 and it's a very charming comic.

    EDIT: "Can't spell funeral without F-U-N"

    Thank you as well! And it's true, right? You can't!

    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited April 2008
    these are great
    and really, they make me laugh, they're enjoyable, witty, and i can follow them with no trouble, therefore i don't see any reason to complain
    as far as comics go, they work

    to me, comics are one of those artforms where if the story is awesome, the art can be a little on the lackluster side... and it doesn't work AT ALL the other way around. I don't even find your art lackluster, I find it fits the theme you've got going on pretty nicely, I'm just sort of aiming this at the people who commented on the art.

  • AllanAllan Registered User
    edited April 2008
    beavotron wrote: »
    these are great
    and really, they make me laugh, they're enjoyable, witty, and i can follow them with no trouble, therefore i don't see any reason to complain
    as far as comics go, they work

    to me, comics are one of those artforms where if the story is awesome, the art can be a little on the lackluster side... and it doesn't work AT ALL the other way around. I don't even find your art lackluster, I find it fits the theme you've got going on pretty nicely, I'm just sort of aiming this at the people who commented on the art.
    Thank you very much Beavo!

    I don't know how, but somehow before in my digital art class my teacher started showing us examples of your Illustrator work! When I saw that Moose one being chased by the Beavers I'm like: "Woah, someone famous just complimented me?"

    Thank again!

    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'm really happy it's not just a strip for teens in their teens.

    Well to be fair, I am incredibly immature.

  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Allan wrote: »
    beavotron wrote: »
    these are great
    and really, they make me laugh, they're enjoyable, witty, and i can follow them with no trouble, therefore i don't see any reason to complain
    as far as comics go, they work

    to me, comics are one of those artforms where if the story is awesome, the art can be a little on the lackluster side... and it doesn't work AT ALL the other way around. I don't even find your art lackluster, I find it fits the theme you've got going on pretty nicely, I'm just sort of aiming this at the people who commented on the art.
    Thank you very much Beavo!

    I don't know how, but somehow before in my digital art class my teacher started showing us examples of your Illustrator work! When I saw that Moose one being chased by the Beavers I'm like: "Woah, someone famous just complimented me?"

    Thank again!

    what? really??

    holy crap that is... wow!

  • MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah I always thought your work was worthy of fawning teen admiration, not me though.....I would give you some love but I'm frightened you'd just break my heart.

  • GodfatherGodfather Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Not to steal the thread, but how is that job at EA beavo? You got that, what, four? five months ago? I'm sure it's taught you a lot about the industry.

    0WBv0.png
  • acadiaacadia Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I'd like to throw my two cents in. I've been reading Allan since the beginning, and not only is it an ENGROSSING story (biographies often are -- but this one even more so), but it's hilarious. The kid knows what makes a good comic, and by gum he uses that knowledge.

    Kudos man.

    eN3tbFm.png
  • srsizzysrsizzy Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I agree that this comic is really great. I'm on Day 202 and I started the day before yesterday, because I was far too engrossed. You really have quite an ability to know what to put in these things to make it worth reading. Like, seriously, I would never ever guess that it was an autobiography if you didn't say so over and over, because what's going on with Izzy and Jen makes it seem totally set up in a story rather than anything real.

    Also, thumbs up for your life in general, because if I were doing this I would be so much more pessimistic. You are really chipper and upbeat about almost everything, and your narrative, humor, and drawing style all come together really solidly. If there was a lot more...I don't know, "life lessons" and philosophical sort of stuff that the rest of the world could be drawn to, you could sell these in a book. The only thing that makes it lose any draw is the fact that it's just a normal teenager's life.

    But I dig it, and I can relate to a lot of it, and I am severely jealous that you're only a junior and you've been keeping this up. I do not have that sort of dedication to drawing and such...

    BRO LET ME GET REAL WITH YOU AND SAY THAT MY FINGERS ARE PREPPED AND HOT LIKE THE SURFACE OF THE SUN TO BRING RADICAL BEATS SO SMOOTH THE SHIT WILL BE MEDICINAL-GRADE TRIPNASTY MAKING ALL BRAINWAVES ROLL ON THE SURFACE OF A BALLS-FEISTY NEURAL RAINBOW CRACKA-LACKIN' YOUR PERCEPTION OF THE HERE-NOW SPACE-TIME SITUATION THAT ALL OF LIFE BE JAMMED UP IN THROUGH THE UNIVERSAL FLOW BEATS
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Godfather wrote: »
    Not to steal the thread, but how is that job at EA beavo? You got that, what, four? five months ago? I'm sure it's taught you a lot about the industry.

    answering in chat so's not to jack the thread

  • KalTorakKalTorak Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Just popping in to say, here's someone else that's hooked on this comic. I haven't gotten very far, but I love it. Your writing and art styles are perfect together. Also, Day 26 is so goddamn accurate.

  • AllanAllan Registered User
    edited May 2008
    acadia wrote: »
    I'd like to throw my two cents in. I've been reading Allan since the beginning, and not only is it an ENGROSSING story (biographies often are -- but this one even more so), but it's hilarious. The kid knows what makes a good comic, and by gum he uses that knowledge.

    Kudos man.

    Thank you acadia for your continued reading and support! :D
    srsizzy wrote: »
    I agree that this comic is really great. I'm on Day 202 and I started the day before yesterday, because I was far too engrossed. You really have quite an ability to know what to put in these things to make it worth reading. Like, seriously, I would never ever guess that it was an autobiography if you didn't say so over and over, because what's going on with Izzy and Jen makes it seem totally set up in a story rather than anything real.

    Also, thumbs up for your life in general, because if I were doing this I would be so much more pessimistic. You are really chipper and upbeat about almost everything, and your narrative, humor, and drawing style all come together really solidly. If there was a lot more...I don't know, "life lessons" and philosophical sort of stuff that the rest of the world could be drawn to, you could sell these in a book. The only thing that makes it lose any draw is the fact that it's just a normal teenager's life.

    But I dig it, and I can relate to a lot of it, and I am severely jealous that you're only a junior and you've been keeping this up. I do not have that sort of dedication to drawing and such...

    Thanks srs! I think the reason the art style turned out the way it did, and the reason I was able to keep updating, was because from the very beginning I kept the art simple and quick so I could churn these out without taking too much of my day. I find that if I plan out the art and whatnot I get a lack of fluidity and realism.

    And thanks for calling me happy! Hah, I'm probably so upbeat because of all the great responses I've been getting!
    KalTorak wrote: »
    Just popping in to say, here's someone else that's hooked on this comic. I haven't gotten very far, but I love it. Your writing and art styles are perfect together. Also, Day 26 is so goddamn accurate.

    Glad to hear you're enjoying it, man--happy to have you as a reader!

    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • NakedZerglingNakedZergling A more apocalyptic post apocalypse Portland OregonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I hate everything.
    If you've been here at all you know that.
    BUT
    for some reason i like this. The color really helps.
    I didn't like the red gradient you used on the "REEEEK".
    other wise i enjoy it for some reason.


    1) As a small side note, one day, I really hope to be King Penis of Fuck Mountain.

    2) No shitty anime or wolf-people, take that crap to deviant art
  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so i spent my night reading your comic
    you are adorable
    it's so bloody fantastic!

  • MustangMustang Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    so i spent my night reading your comic
    you are adorable
    it's so bloody fantastic!

    It really is, and in the short time I've been here I've never seen the PA:AC forum this universally enamoured about.....anything, let alone a comic. To be honest I only read very few comics (PA being the only regular one), but I'm definately going to be a regular reader on this one.

  • KealohaKealoha Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Yeah, this is good stuff.

    !! ! ! !!
  • AllanAllan Registered User
    edited May 2008
    I hate everything.
    If you've been here at all you know that.
    BUT
    for some reason i like this. The color really helps.
    I didn't like the red gradient you used on the "REEEEK".
    other wise i enjoy it for some reason.

    Thank you! I'll remember not to use red gradients on text in the future, too...
    beavotron wrote: »
    so i spent my night reading your comic
    you are adorable
    it's so bloody fantastic!

    beavotron, thank you for reading through them! That's quite a feat, especially in one sitting...

    Anyway, I really appreciate your readership, and thanks for the compliments!
    Mustang wrote: »
    It really is, and in the short time I've been here I've never seen the PA:AC forum this universally enamoured about.....anything, let alone a comic. To be honest I only read very few comics (PA being the only regular one), but I'm definately going to be a regular reader on this one.

    Wow thank you. To add me to a list with Penny Arcade being one of the only other strips on it is almost like comparing me to them--and that's a huge compliment, so thank you!

    Also, I am very happy with the responses I've been getting on here! I didn't know of the PA forum's reputation (if it was a rough forum, if it was a friendly forum), and I was a little uncertain of posting on here so boldly, but I am very glad you guys enjoy my stuff!
    Kealoha wrote: »
    Yeah, this is good stuff.

    Thank you Kea!

    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • FunkyWaltDoggFunkyWaltDogg Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I pretty much never post in Artist's Corner since I know dick about art, but I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy your comic, enough so that I read through the entire archive last night when I should have been sleeping. Good stuff.

    Burnage wrote:
    FWD is very good at this game.
  • Big Luke NastyBig Luke Nasty Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Its 2:15 am. I have two finals tomorrow, and a research paper to write and turn in by 8:00.

    I just read through your entire archive. I only had to put it off one more day!

    I'm hooked though. Great comic.

    rawr
  • UpfishUpfish Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Dang! I looked at the art in your sample strips and almost didn't look at the site.
    You've got a really engrossing comic here, and I've grown to enjoy the art. Nice job.

  • AllanAllan Registered User
    edited May 2008
    I pretty much never post in Artist's Corner since I know dick about art, but I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy your comic, enough so that I read through the entire archive last night when I should have been sleeping. Good stuff.

    Thank you for popping in and saying hey! Glad you like it!
    Its 2:15 am. I have two finals tomorrow, and a research paper to write and turn in by 8:00.

    I just read through your entire archive. I only had to put it off one more day!

    I'm hooked though. Great comic.

    Yes! Procrastination! Man, you are my new best friend.
    Upfish wrote: »
    Dang! I looked at the art in your sample strips and almost didn't look at the site.
    You've got a really engrossing comic here, and I've grown to enjoy the art. Nice job.

    Thank you! I admit, the art might take some getting used to!--though that wasn't my original intent, it seems to be the way it's heading.

    Thanks for reading, bud!

    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • KronKron Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Another "I haven't been to these forums in a long time and popped in because I was bored at 2 AM" post here.

    It's now almost 5 AM, and I am eagerly awaiting what happens next. Live faster, dammit!

  • ProspicienceProspicience The Raven King DenvemoloradoRegistered User regular
    edited May 2008
    Xum, I just read a lot of your comic and I also like. Good read, good art!

    Pfffffffffflickr ||Steam: IamBic || Bnet: IamBick#1264
  • earthwormadamearthwormadam Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    I also likey. They are simple, but that is a good thing for webcomics. The colored strips like the Indy one really pop off the page.

  • beavotronbeavotron Registered User regular
    edited May 2008
    i made allan fanart today lulz!
    allanbybeavo.png

  • AllanAllan Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Kron wrote: »
    Another "I haven't been to these forums in a long time and popped in because I was bored at 2 AM" post here.

    It's now almost 5 AM, and I am eagerly awaiting what happens next. Live faster, dammit!

    I'll try my hardest! NNNNGGG!! Dammit, I just need a time machine.
    Xum, I just read a lot of your comic and I also like. Good read, good art!

    You get extra points for using Xum! Thank you very much!
    I also likey. They are simple, but that is a good thing for webcomics. The colored strips like the Indy one really pop off the page.

    I feel the same way! I'd like to color more, and I'm thinking of adding at least a little color to each strip once I hit page 300! We'll see how well that works.
    beavotron wrote: »
    i made allan fanart today lulz!
    IMAGE

    Oh man. This is totally going into the fan art section of the site. You rock Beav!

    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • AllanAllan Registered User
    edited May 2008
    As a celebration of my strip doing so well on the PA Boards I figured it'd be appropriate if I drew something in the PA style and posted it here as a thank you...

    thankspavr3.gif

    Thanks for your support so far, guys!

    banndd1av6.gifbannerdd2or5.gif
  • Fatgoat87Fatgoat87 Registered User
    edited May 2008
    Great work, Cant wait to finsh reading the whole bunch of it :)

Sign In or Register to comment.